The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 312 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9331 of 10482 Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks I'll give Denon a call, i had called them the last time and they suggested the factory service option which I took, as for unplugging it overnight I've tried that as well the last time with no luck. I really like this unit, my ancient 3801 is still going strong after all these years and was hoping for the same for the 3311, it's a good thing it has a 3 year warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 10482 Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
^^
Check with your credit card provider as some will add an additional year making it 4 years (AMEX does this). The trick is to figure out why the unit won't work at your place, but after shipping it to the repair facility it works.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9333 of 10482 Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Liked: 11
I have dipoles behind the sofa and a pair of in-ceiling speakers. For 7.1 sources I would like the dipoles in “surr back/amp assign” connections set as surr back and the in-ceiling in the “surround” connections. For 5.1 sources I would like to use the 3311 height processing and have the dipoles in “surround” connections and the in-ceiling in the “surr back/amp assign” so they can be assigned as a height speakers. It there a way I won’t have to physically change the connections depending on the 7.1 or 5.1 sources. Is there a physcial speaker switch box that I can use to do this if the 3311 can't do this from settings?
post #9334 of 10482 Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Once you run Audyssey in a certain speaker configuration, you'll have to stick with that configuration as the speakers will have been EQ'd in that specific setup.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #9335 of 10482 Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Once you run Audyssey in a certain speaker configuration, you'll have to stick with that configuration as the speakers will have been EQ'd in that specific setup.

I was thinking making 3311 backups after running Audyssey for each setup. Then I would just reload the 3311 backup with the proper EQ that I want to be running. I probably wont change the setup that frequently as there isn't that many movies encoded for 7.1 speakers. I don't mind loading 3311 backups but pulling the receiver out to switch connections would get tedious. I wish Denon had made the "surrounds" along with the "surround backs/height/wide" assignable in the 3311.
post #9336 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM

I have read that a lot of AVR's have trouble passing through DirectTV 3D, but most of the reviews of the Denon 3311 say it's good to go. The only thing I can think of that might interrupt 3D pass-thru would be forcing the AVR to upscale everything to 1080P. Currently, I allow my TV to do the scaling. I do however leave video convert on, so the gui will overlay the video feed. I realize that the gui will not work over 3D on the 3311. My question is, should I turn off video conversion too? I was hoping to leave it on. If I wanted to adjust the AVR, I could just flip to a non 3d channel, right?
post #9337 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
^^^

A quick question JD.

If all sets of speakers get Auto setup during the tone calibration, would this suffice for switching different speakers on the fly, whether it be Wides, Heights or Back Sur. or would a separate audyssey be needed for each speaker package.

I ask for I have in the past stated that you could switch on the fly and just want to be accurate.

TIA
post #9338 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Yes you can switch on the fly. The problem with the OP's situation is the he wants to "remap" the speakers depending on the situation.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9339 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

I have read that a lot of AVR's have trouble passing through DirectTV 3D, but most of the reviews of the Denon 3311 say it's good to go. The only thing I can think of that might interrupt 3D pass-thru would be forcing the AVR to upscale everything to 1080P. Currently, I allow my TV to do the scaling. I do however leave video convert on, so the gui will overlay the video feed. I realize that the gui will not work over 3D on the 3311. My question is, should I turn off video conversion too? I was hoping to leave it on. If I wanted to adjust the AVR, I could just flip to a non 3d channel, right?

No reason to turn it off. You'll be fine.

You don't even have to change channels to adjust. If you call up the GUI on a 3D source the video will disappear and the GUI will appear on a black background.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9340 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
I am about done with Denon. I can't get either of my apple TVs to work and nothing has changed. My wife flipped on the receiver and suddenly nothing happened. I can hook it directly to the tv and it works fine but soon as the receiver is involved I get audio skipping and no video. Reset the apple tv, reset the Denon and still no luck. Anyone have a similar experience?
post #9341 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

I was thinking making 3311 backups after running Audyssey for each setup. Then I would just reload the 3311 backup with the proper EQ that I want to be running. I probably wont change the setup that frequently as there isn't that many movies encoded for 7.1 speakers. I don't mind loading 3311 backups but pulling the receiver out to switch connections would get tedious. I wish Denon had made the "surrounds" along with the "surround backs/height/wide" assignable in the 3311.

I understand now. You want to physically allocate the speaker location.

You should take this to the Audyssey forum with a diagram of your room and speaker location and they will have some good ideas and tips for what you want to do.

Tks. BP for the clarification.
post #9342 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdibble View Post

I am about done with Denon. I can't get either of my apple TVs to work and nothing has changed. My wife flipped on the receiver and suddenly nothing happened. I can hook it directly to the tv and it works fine but soon as the receiver is involved I get audio skipping and no video. Reset the apple tv, reset the Denon and still no luck. Anyone have a similar experience?

You could try unplugging your avr for 10 min. If that fails try swapping out your hdmi cable.
post #9343 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Did all that. Swapped inputs etc.

I even went and updated the receiver firmware even though we all know how scary that is!
post #9344 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Try a microprocessor reset. Have you tried running a different Hdmi cable to the Tv? Is your tv telling you it's outputting 720p?
post #9345 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

If you already tried the regular reset with no joy, then try the network reset (press/hold UP/DOWN arrow keys while powering on the AVR ... releasing both when front panel flashes for at least 4-5 seconds).

post #9346 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

I understand now. You want to physically allocate the speaker location.

You should take this to the Audyssey forum with a diagram of your room and speaker location and they will have some good ideas and tips for what you want to do.

Tks. BP for the clarification.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone had found a speaker switch box that could physically swap your speaker location. I'll see anyone knows in the Audyssey forum.
post #9347 of 10482 Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

If you already tried the regular reset with no joy, then try the network reset (press/hold UP/DOWN arrow keys while powering on the AVR ... releasing both when front panel flashes for at least 4-5 seconds).

At this point every device has been reset or restored. Cables checked via the blu ray player or running the atv direct to the tv.

I am out of options except for hooking the receiver up to my Panasonic instead of the Samsung. If it still doesn't work then I guess I will call Denon.
post #9348 of 10482 Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point every device has been reset or restored. Cables checked via the blu ray player or running the atv direct to the tv.

I am out of options except for hooking the receiver up to my Panasonic instead of the Samsung. If it still doesn't work then I guess I will call Denon.

You could also try resetting router and try a different port on your Tv from avr if available.
post #9349 of 10482 Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone had found a speaker switch box that could physically swap your speaker location. I'll see anyone knows in the Audyssey forum.

A quick Google search shows that they are out there. Check out Amazon. I would still do a little research and check out some reviews.

Also if you can I would take the time and make a detailed diagram of your room with doorways, main listening position, speaker locations, etc... and see what the Audyssey and the Speaker forum suggest for superior SQ. They may have a different maybe simpler solution that may help you. Although your goals are to use different unorthodox speaker allocations it may not be necessary to achieve the best sound quality.
post #9350 of 10482 Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 AM

I have tried everything and that leaves just the receiver as the issue. Time for service
post #9351 of 10482 Old 04-18-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Last thoughts. You have video when connected to tv so there is a good Hdmi signal.

Have you tested the Hdmi port you use with the apple tv? If it works with other sources it may be a cable issue.

Try unplugging your hdmi cables from known good sources from only the source ends and test with your ATV.

Check your Hdmi Output and TV resolution settings and try different ones.

You could try turning off your Video Convert and also cycle through video modes and try each one auto, game and movie.

You may want to purchase 2 new cables one to the atv and 1 to the tv to see if that solves your issue. Just make sure they are different than the ones you already have and are high speed.
post #9352 of 10482 Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

I have had my 3311 less than 6 months and it looks like optical port 1 suddenly died. My TV only has DVI and won't recognize the HDMI signal from the Denon, so I run all my sources through a switchbox from monoprice that extracts the audio, which I have connected to port 1. The video is then sent to the TV via HDMI--> DVI cable. It all worked fine until late last week when I lost all sound from the switchbox. I have bypassed the box, swapped cables, switched inputs, etc. and the culprit looks to be the port. Port 2 works, and the digital coax works. Anything I can do to try to revive it before returning my unit for service?
post #9353 of 10482 Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Last thoughts. You have video when connected to tv so there is a good Hdmi signal.

Have you tested the Hdmi port you use with the apple tv? If it works with other sources it may be a cable issue.

Try unplugging your hdmi cables from known good sources from only the source ends and test with your ATV.

Check your Hdmi Output and TV resolution settings and try different ones.

You could try turning off your Video Convert and also cycle through video modes and try each one auto, game and movie.

You may want to purchase 2 new cables one to the atv and 1 to the tv to see if that solves your issue. Just make sure they are different than the ones you already have and are high speed.

Yeah, did all that the first day. Last thing I wanted to do was wipe all my tv and receiver settings when it could have been a cable or individual device. I am very scared I will hear from the repair company that no problem was found.
post #9354 of 10482 Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

I have had my 3311 less than 6 months and it looks like optical port 1 suddenly died. My TV only has DVI and won't recognize the HDMI signal from the Denon, so I run all my sources through a switchbox from monoprice that extracts the audio, which I have connected to port 1. The video is then sent to the TV via HDMI--> DVI cable. It all worked fine until late last week when I lost all sound from the switchbox. I have bypassed the box, swapped cables, switched inputs, etc. and the culprit looks to be the port. Port 2 works, and the digital coax works. Anything I can do to try to revive it before returning my unit for service?

Reset the microprocessor.

post #9355 of 10482 Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I have tried everything and that leaves just the receiver as the issue. Time for service

On the ATV, try changing the HDMI output setting to "RGB" vice "Auto".

post #9356 of 10482 Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:

On the ATV, try changing the HDMI output setting to "RGB" vice "Auto".

Did that and tested every resolution.

Dropped it off at the service center yesterday. This isn't the first time they have seen hdmi issues with Denon. In fact they even asked if I was having hdmi issues before I explained the issues I was having.
post #9357 of 10482 Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's because HDMI sucks.

90%+ of issues we deal with on AVR threads are HDMI problems.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #9358 of 10482 Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

It there a way I won’t have to physically change the connections depending on the 7.1 or 5.1 sources. Is there a physcial speaker switch box that I can use to do this if the 3311 can't do this from settings?

Yes. XanTech SR21 A/B remote speaker switch. It can be controlled by an IR signal.

I use one to switch my surrounds between a speaker bar and discrete surrounds. My TV is on an articulating arm. When I point it at the kitchen, the surrounds are on the speaker bar. When I point it at the living room, they're on the discrete surrounds.

Of course, there's no way to store two Audessy calibrations in this case. But at least I can change the levels when switching.
post #9359 of 10482 Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 PM

Is it possible to set the subwoofer level differently for the 3311 on different inputs and store it that way? I`m asking because I like to have a little more bass when I`m watcing movies than I do for stereo listening. Can I for example set the sub level at +3dB for BD/DVD-input and at 0dB for the CD-input and have the reciever remember these different settings?
post #9360 of 10482 Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordvest View Post

Is it possible to set the subwoofer level differently for the 3311 on different inputs and store it that way? I`m asking because I like to have a little more bass when I`m watcing movies than I do for stereo listening. Can I for example set the sub level at +3dB for BD/DVD-input and at 0dB for the CD-input and have the reciever remember these different settings?

Quick selects?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page