The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 314 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9391 of 10496 Old 04-25-2012, 11:42 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
^^
The AVR is rated for 6Ω or higher. Also surround speakers don't draw much power ... it's the FL/C/FR that you need to worry about for power requirements (ie. when they are 4Ω). As I said, you should be fine with your setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ok thanks.
post #9393 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

My best buddy from college wants to buy the receiver I bought from accessories4less for exactly what I paid back in December. It is perfect. I love it. It sounds incredible. He feels the same way. I haven't had a single issue with it that wasn't user error.

I can buy a couple of matching speakers to upgrade to a 9.1 system for a fair price. Is it worth it to make the jump?

You can only run 7.1 at a time. So unless you are going to setup another zone probably not.
post #9394 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 AM

What makes that different than what we have now. Presently you have to choose either front wides/highs or back surrounds. I use back surrounds. If I upgraded to a 9.1 unit, I can't have wides and back surrounds? I can't have my cake and eat it too. Crap. That's what I was shooting for.
post #9395 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM

I am looking at the 4311i.
post #9396 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
that wasn't clear in your initial post. If you are upgrading to the 4311ci, then YES you can run 9 channels at once, actually 11 if you add another 2ch amp.

the 4311ci is currently the only receiver in the world that can do a full 11ch DSX setup with XT32 calibration.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #9397 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 PM

I just can't leave well enough alone.
post #9398 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Liked: 10
I bought a used 3311 a few days ago. When I gor it I foolishly (?) did at microprocessor reset as I wanted to start with a "blank slate" and avoid having to reset every option the previous owner had used.

The first day I had a lot of trouble connecting it to my network and the web but it somehow made it after repeated tries. Yesterday I had to reset my router a couple of times to get back online but today I have been unable to connect to the network/web at all. I tried everything I can think of: microprossesor reset, network card reset, static ip, reset router, tried another router etc. etc. All to no avail... It just keeps saying "please wait. Connecting" on the display. It manages to get an ip.adress and I can ping it from the router and it reports no problems with the ping. It reports as connected on the router interface but not on the 3311. Anyone have any idea what I can do to solve this?

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the problems today started after I connected my Ipod in the Usb/ipod-connection at the front.

I can`t use the usb-input anymore now because it freezes on the "please wait. connecting"-screen. Is it a way I can "tell" it not to try to connect anymore so I at least can use the USB-input?
post #9399 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sounds like your network card went bad.
post #9400 of 10496 Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

I just can't leave well enough alone.

Also helps to not leave key information out of your post.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #9401 of 10496 Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 AM

Yesterday evening I was suddenly able to get the network to function for a few minutes. Enough time to save my setup via the web interface but then it disconnected again.

Tried a firmware update afterwards and it somehow managed to connect to the server but with 24 min remaining I got "error 10" whatever that means and the firmware update failed. Is there any hope that I can fixed this without sending it back to the dealer?

Some other questions:
1. When I switch inputs there is a little time lag (about 3-5) seconds before I get sound from the next source. Is this normal? The Yamaha I had before this changed input without any delays.
2. On the web interface it is listed 6 quick select options for the main zones. The remote only allows acsess to 3 quick selects. Is there any way I can use qiuck select 4 to 6?
3. When I turn on the Denon I get a loud pop from the Rotel power amp I use to power the center speakers? Anybody else experienced this?
post #9402 of 10496 Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

I have a denon 991 that I have started to hear crackling on the speakers, then the unit would power down. I just did a processor reset and it seems to be working well know. Do you have any suggestions of what could be wrong?? The unit is in an enclosed case with 5 inches clearance on the top and 2.5 inches on each side. I also have polk monitor 60 speakers, cs2 center and RM8 surrounds(yes, I know this might seem live overkill but I got the receiver for a great price!).....
post #9403 of 10496 Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickBK View Post

I have a denon 991 that I have started to hear crackling on the speakers, then the unit would power down. I just did a processor reset and it seems to be working well know. Do you have any suggestions of what could be wrong?? The unit is in an enclosed case with 5 inches clearance on the top and 2.5 inches on each side. I also have polk monitor 60 speakers, cs2 center and RM8 surrounds(yes, I know this might seem live overkill but I got the receiver for a great price!).....

If happens again see if flashes rapidly every half second which usually means speaker wire short or 2 speaker wires touching each other.

If flashing slowly every 2 seconds it generally means over heating.

Post back if it happens again and we may be able to narrow it down,
post #9404 of 10496 Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordvest View Post

Yesterday evening I was suddenly able to get the network to function for a few minutes. Enough time to save my setup via the web interface but then it disconnected again.

Tried a firmware update afterwards and it somehow managed to connect to the server but with 24 min remaining I got "error 10" whatever that means and the firmware update failed. Is there any hope that I can fixed this without sending it back to the dealer?

Some other questions:
1. When I switch inputs there is a little time lag (about 3-5) seconds before I get sound from the next source. Is this normal? The Yamaha I had before this changed input without any delays.
2. On the web interface it is listed 6 quick select options for the main zones. The remote only allows acsess to 3 quick selects. Is there any way I can use qiuck select 4 to 6?
3. When I turn on the Denon I get a loud pop from the Rotel power amp I use to power the center speakers? Anybody else experienced this?

!. It takes about 3 sec. for the hdmi to do the switching and kick in.

2. You can only use the extra Quick Select with the Web Control Feature.

3.Go to page 299 of this forum post 8941 on the top of the page and you will find how another poster with a similar issue solved this problem with a particular autosensing power strip. You can go to page 305 post 9127 to see how that worked out for him.

Are you hard wired to the internet. When you are connected does your internet radio work?
post #9405 of 10496 Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

!. It takes about 3 sec. for the hdmi to do the switching and kick in.

2. You can only use the extra Quick Select with the Web Control Feature.

3.Go to page 299 of this forum post 8941 on the top of the page and you will find how another poster with a similar issue solved this problem with a particular autosensing power strip. You can go to page 305 post 9127 to see how that worked out for him.

Are you hard wired to the internet. When you are connected does your internet radio work?

Thank you very much for your very good and useful answers!
Yes, I am hardwired to the internet. No, the internet radio doesn`t work; nothingh works on the Net/usb input. I can`t even connect any usb devices or an Ipod because the input freezes completly on the "Please wait... Connecting..."-message. Seems pretty hopeless...
Is there anyway I can tell the reciever to qiuit trying to connect so that I at least can use the usb-input?
post #9406 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Another question:
I am trying to find the optimal setting for the Dynamic EQ and it`s offset values for music listening. Have I understood it correctly when I think that 0db is the strongest setting and 15db is the lowest DynEQ correction without turning it off. To put it another way: Is the scale of correction going from 0 (highest correction level), 5, 10 and 15 (lowest)? Or is it the other way round?
post #9407 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The former is correct. At reference volume, there is no bass/surround boost from Dyn EQ. After running AUTO SETUP, reference volume is set to 0db. As you lower the master volume of the AVR from 0db to say -20db, the bass/surround effect is increased. By setting the Reference Level Offset to 15db, you are actually lowering the Reference Level that Dyn EQ uses from 0db to -15db. By doing so you reduce the bass/surround boost effect of Dyn EQ at a given master volume level lower than 0db. For music sources, you'll likely want to use either the 10db or 15db setting.

post #9408 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The former is correct. At reference volume, there is no bass/surround boost from Dyn EQ. After running AUTO SETUP, reference volume is set to 0db. As you lower the master volume of the AVR from 0db to say -20db, the bass/surround effect is increased. By setting the Reference Level Offset to 15db, you are actually lowering the Reference Level that Dyn EQ uses from 0db to -15db. By doing so you reduce the bass/surround boost effect of Dyn EQ at a given master volume level lower than 0db. For music sources, you'll likely want to use either the 10db or 15db setting.

Thanks; I was a bit confused after reading the user manual... I assume that I set the offset seperatly for each input and that the amp remembers it even if I turn it off or there is a power cut for some hours/days?
post #9409 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 AM

I recently purchased Xtreamer Prodigy media player and updated its firmware and connected it via HDMI 1.4 to Denon avr 991 and played some 3D BD Iso movies with DTS-HD MA audio. As soon as i play any movie there, video and audio both jerks. so i took it to retailer and he checked it on its Onkyo with same files (which i took with me) and with same setup delivered perfectly DTS-HD MA audio to his onkyo receiver without any issue and he said something is not properly setup on your denon avr.

Can you please guess what could be wrong in my setup that audio and video both jerks every second or so? my BD player an dHTPC works fine with my 991 only problem is with prodigy but it works fine on onkyo.

Thanks
post #9410 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankhan View Post

I recently purchased Xtreamer Prodigy media player and updated its firmware and connected it via HDMI 1.4 to Denon avr 991 and played some 3D BD Iso movies with DTS-HD MA audio. As soon as i play any movie there, video and audio both jerks. so i took it to retailer and he checked it on its Onkyo with same files (which i took with me) and with same setup delivered perfectly DTS-HD MA audio to his onkyo receiver without any issue and he said something is not properly setup on your denon avr.

Can you please guess what could be wrong in my setup that audio and video both jerks every second or so? my BD player an dHTPC works fine with my 991 only problem is with prodigy but it works fine on onkyo.

Thanks

First check to see if your media player has a deep color setting and if it does try setting it to off.

If no luck there try unhooking your Hdmi cable at the Bd player end only that you use DTS-HD MA audio with, and plug it into your new media player thus changing your cable and port for testing purposes.
post #9411 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordvest View Post

Some other questions:

First try unplugging your avr for 10 min. and see if it will connect.

It is very important on this model to have a up to date firmware as one of the updates fixes a Network flaw. Go into Manual Setup/Network Setup/Network Information and see if there is IP Address and a Mac Address.

For a firmware update you should try to run your ethernet straight from your modem . Try a network reset on your avr and another microprocessor reset and see if the firmware will update for you.

If it does start updating let it run it may take up to 45 min. to an hour. If you get a failed message unplug for 10 min. and try again.
post #9412 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:

First check to see if your media player has a deep color setting and if it does try setting it to off.

If no luck there try unhooking your Hdmi cable at the Bd player end only that you use DTS-HD MA audio with, and plug it into your new media player thus changing your cable and port for testing purposes.

Sorry, what do you mean by deep color settings? There are video option like HDMI Auto, 720p, 1080p, etc. Also need to note that every thing works fine, even 3D BD Iso with DD TrueHD works fine, only 3D BD Iso with DTS-HD MA audio files have stuttering issue and same woks fine on onkyo receiver. I used the BD player HDMI but same issue. Any help?
post #9413 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, what do you mean by deep color settings? There are video option like HDMI Auto, 720p, 1080p, etc. Also need to note that every thing works fine, even 3D BD Iso with DD TrueHD works fine, only 3D BD Iso with DTS-HD MA audio files have stuttering issue and same woks fine on onkyo receiver. I used the BD player HDMI but same issue. Any help?

Deep color setting would be in the video section of your media player if it has one.

Have you tried DTS-HD MA with your Bd player and does it work?

I only use a dvd player so maybe someone that uses the DTS-HD MA with 3D will chime in on some ideas.
post #9414 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Deep color setting would be in the video section of your media player if it has one.

Have you tried DTS-HD MA with your Bd player and does it work?

I only use a dvd player so maybe someone that uses the DTS-HD MA with 3D will chime in on some ideas.

Problem solved. I had in my 991 "Auto Lip Sync" on and i just tried and make it off and now no stuttering and now 3D BD Iso files with DTS-HD MA are perfectly playing. Thanks being with me.
post #9415 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Problem solved. I had in my 991 "Auto Lip Sync" on and i just tried and make it off and now no stuttering and now 3D BD Iso files with DTS-HD MA are perfectly playing. Thanks being with me.

Glad to hear;

Wow I would not of thought of that. Not to poke at the bear that caused you the issue but when you have time and it will not interfere with your viewing can you test it with the Auto Lip Sync On and confirm this was the issue. It may help others.
post #9416 of 10496 Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:

First try unplugging your avr for 10 min. and see if it will connect.

It is very important on this model to have a up to date firmware as one of the updates fixes a Network flaw. Go into Manual Setup/Network Setup/Network Information and see if there is IP Address and a Mac Address.

For a firmware update you should try to run your ethernet straight from your modem . Try a network reset on your avr and another microprocessor reset and see if the firmware will update for you.

If it does start updating let it run it may take up to 45 min. to an hour. If you get a failed message unplug for 10 min. and try again.

Thank you very much for your help!
I have tried unplugging it for 10 min and even overnight but it didn`t help.
I have also tried the various resets without any luck.
Unfortunatley I have a combined router/modem so it`s not possible for me to plug it straight to modem.

I read that there is a possibilty that a firmware upgrade might fix these network problems and it is rather ironic that you have to get the reciever to download a update when the whole need for this update is that it is unable to connect to the net. Sort of a catch 22 I guess...
It should have been possible to download the firmware update to a usb memory stick and installed it from there....

The network card is not completly dead. It gets an ip-adress and occasionally it shows an MAC-adress in the network information menu and it is "pinganle" from my router so I keep hoping that it somehow will connect for long enough to download and install the update. However; the last couple of days I\\ ve been unable to connect it to the network at all...
post #9417 of 10496 Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Glad to hear;

Wow I would not of thought of that. Not to poke at the bear that caused you the issue but when you have time and it will not interfere with your viewing can you test it with the Auto Lip Sync On and confirm this was the issue. It may help others.

Yes, I confirm that if Auto Lip Sync is on, Xtreamer Prodigy does not play any file with DTS-HD MA (rest all files are played well, with DD, DTS, True HD, etc.) but as soon as i switch it off, DTS-HD MA files work fine. It is strange, but may be there is bug in Denon as i never updated its firmware. Should i do that or as such no need. Do you know what has been fixed in 991 new firmware, if there is any?
post #9418 of 10496 Old 04-29-2012, 04:09 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Several of the firmware updates helped to resolve network connectivity issues so you'll want to update to the latest firmware.

post #9419 of 10496 Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Yes, I confirm that if Auto Lip Sync is on, Xtreamer Prodigy does not play any file with DTS-HD MA (rest all files are played well, with DD, DTS, True HD, etc.) but as soon as i switch it off, DTS-HD MA files work fine. It is strange, but may be there is bug in Denon as i never updated its firmware. Should i do that or as such no need. Do you know what has been fixed in 991 new firmware, if there is any?

it's not likely that the avr is at fault...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #9420 of 10496 Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 AM

^^
Yes, you are right that it is not necessary that avr is at fault, while "Auto Lip Sync" is on in avr, surely it interferes with the HDMI handshake with prodigy's HDMI out as far as DTS-HD MA files are concerned. Well i am not going to upgrade my avr's firmware as until now i do not have any complaint.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - 3311ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page