The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 315 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 92
^^^

has it occurred to you that the source is what is causing the error?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankhan View Post

^^
Yes, you are right that it is not necessary that avr is at fault, while "Auto Lip Sync" is on in avr, surely it interferes with the HDMI handshake with prodigy's HDMI out as far as DTS-HD MA files are concerned. Well i am not going to upgrade my avr's firmware as until now i do not have any complaint.

You may want to reconsider the firmware update. The reason being is if by chance your receiver is one of the few that gets the bug without the firmware it could render your avr with no networking and even bricking it. Also remember there is only a two year warranty on the 991 and the fix would mean replacing your Hdmi board with a cost of over $500.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^
Thanks for your advise and I shall update. However, please advise that "AUTO LIP SYNC" is "on" by default or "off" is default position?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankhan View Post

^^
Thanks for your advise and I shall update. However, please advise that "AUTO LIP SYNC" is "on" by default or "off" is default position?

Not sure. Really doesn't matter. The key is that it is a global setting (1 setting for all inputs) so you will have to turn off or on when needed.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM
zqh

Does anyone know how the front-wide and front-height speakers are connected to the 7 amplifiers internally? (AVR-991)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by zqh View Post

Does anyone know how the front-wide and front-height speakers are connected to the 7 amplifiers internally? (AVR-991)

They (along with surr.back, zone 2/3, etc) all flow through the two assignable amp channels. The combination of amp assign setting and surround mode determines which speaker post ends up getting the signal.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
zqh

Is it possible to set up wiring for 991 such that it support either 5.1(zone1)+2(zone2) or 7.1(zone1) without changing the wiring. As batpig pointed out "They (along with surr.back, zone 2/3, etc) all flow through the two assignable amp channels", can I use (say) front-wide connectors for the sur.back and front-height connectors for the 2nd zone and config them whenever needed. The only chart in the manual involves the front-wide and front-height connector are in page 48. No explanation was given about how 11 speackers are connected to 7 channels internally.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zqh View Post

Is it possible to set up wiring for 991 such that it support either 5.1(zone1)+2(zone2) or 7.1(zone1) without changing the wiring. As batpig pointed out "They (along with surr.back, zone 2/3, etc) all flow through the two assignable amp channels", can I use (say) front-wide connectors for the sur.back and front-height connectors for the 2nd zone and config them whenever needed. The only chart in the manual involves the front-wide and front-height connector are in page 48. No explanation was given about how 11 speackers are connected to 7 channels internally.

You would hook up zone 2 speakers to the sur. back terminals (your only option) and from there you have the choice of Wides or Heights or both for 7.1 using the said speaker terminals on the avr. The limitation is when using zone 2 you could only have 5.1 in the main zone and when not using zone 2 you would then select wides or heights to complete your 7,1.

You could also hook an external amp to the zone 2 pre outs and have 7.1 in the main zone plus zone 2.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

here's the way it works:

1. the five "main" amps are locked in to the 5 primary channels - L/C/R/SL/SR

2. the last two amps are assignable

3. if the "amp assign" is set to NORMAL then the two amps are used in the main zone for 7.1 (and you can connect and switch among surr.back, height, or wide speakers based upon your layout)... if the "amp assign" is set to "ZONE2" then the two amps are used to power zone 2.

that's it and that's all, the two cannot coexist. I strongly suggest if you want to run 7.1 and also zone 2, that you simply add a cheap 2ch amp to power the 2nd zone speakers and call it a day. Any old stereo amp / receiver you can find on craigslist or a garage sale for $50 will do the job.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

^
3. No Surround backs when zone 2 is hooked up as the zone speakers will be hooked to those speaker terminals.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 AM
zqh

Thank to Spager and Ratpig. It is still quite odd to limit the zone 2 speakers to connect to the sur.back terminal only. If the last pair of amp can be assigned to three pairs of terminal, there is no need to freeze the 2nd zone's connector. My problem is my sur.back speakers are already mounted on the wall and I don't have front height or front wide, I don't know what kind of distortion will be when the front.wide is actuarially on the back.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
^^
You can't use the Front Wide or Front Height speaker posts for any other speaker configuration than as labeled, neither of which is what you want to use in your desired configuration.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

like I suggested above: just get a cheap 2ch amp or stereo receiver for zone 2 and be done with it. problem solved

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM

I did a search and looked for acceptable tempature values but I did not find what I was looking for.

I just installed a 3312 inside a cabinet. I notice that when I close the doors the amp seems hot. There is 8-10" of room above the amp but the top of the amp will read 110-115F. What temp range is acceptable? And where should I measure it at?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I doubt there's a well-defined limit for acceptable temps but 110-115 F doesn't strike me as being that hot. Especially inside a closed cabinet. If you are concerned, just add some ventilation.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I doubt there's a well-defined limit for acceptable temps but 110-115 F doesn't strike me as being that hot. Especially inside a closed cabinet. If you are concerned, just add some ventilation.

I have never had it in an enclosed cabinet. I just don't want to fry it. What temp would cause concern?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If you're that concerned .. .simply connect a USB computer fan or two and exhaust the hot air out the back of the cabinet. If you don't have large enough holes in the back of the cabinet, then consider punching larger ones in as well (at the very least do this even if you don't add the fans).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
zqh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
You can't use the Front Wide or Front Height speaker posts for any other speaker configuration than as labeled, neither of which is what you want to use in your desired configuration.

Pity. Denon could easily change such artificial limitation with different software design. Imaging instead of sur.bak, front.wide and front.height, they are labeled as set1 , set2 and set3. Any and only one of them can be used for zone2, sur.back, front.wide or front.height. There is no more connector to add, no circuitry to add, Just an additional speaker mapping screen will do it.

As for the second cheap amp, Yes. Easy. And I already have one, But then what is the purpose to have a "multiple-zone" amp.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM

My 3311 apparently has developed a bad center channel. See this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1408660, if you would like to know the details. In short, any speaker plugged into the center channel terminals produces significantly lower volume (and increasingly crackly as volume is increased toward reference volume), regardless of whether Audyssey is enabled or disabled.

Having ruled out my speakers, cables, or source material as the problem, I plan to contact Denon this weekend (or Monday if they are not open weekends) to seek warranty service, because the AVR is less than a year old. Have others had similar repairs, and if so, how did the process go? I am most interested in knowing how long I may be without my receiver.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L01 View Post

I have never had it in an enclosed cabinet. I just don't want to fry it. What temp would cause concern?

Denon avr are not known to overheat. Very few have gone into protection mode (avr shuts down in Standby Mode and blinks every 2 seconds) and 99% of those that do are for running 4ohm speakers that are not rated for Denon avr's and do no harm to the receiver.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobaugh View Post

My 3311 apparently has developed a bad center channel. See this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1408660, if you would like to know the details. In short, any speaker plugged into the center channel terminals produces significantly lower volume (and increasingly crackly as volume is increased toward reference volume), regardless of whether Audyssey is enabled or disabled.

Having ruled out my speakers, cables, or source material as the problem, I plan to contact Denon this weekend (or Monday if they are not open weekends) to seek warranty service, because the AVR is less than a year old. Have others had similar repairs, and if so, how did the process go? I am most interested in knowing how long I may be without my receiver.

Thanks!

You sure did a thorough test. How long depends on a variety of variables. If you have a repair facility near by where you could drop it off and the part is in maybe a week. If not probably 2-4 weeks.

When calling Denon make sure you have your sales receipt with serial no. You could look on the Denon website for an authorized dealer near you in the mean time.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

You sure did a thorough test. How long depends on a variety of variables. If you have a repair facility near by where you could drop it off and the part is in maybe a week. If not probably 2-4 weeks.

When calling Denon make sure you have your sales receipt with serial no. You could look on the Denon website for an authorized dealer near you in the mean time.

Thanks. That is good advice. I will dig out the receipt and check Denon's site for local repair facilities...I would be willing to drive pretty far to save a week or so of shipping on each end!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobaugh View Post

Thanks!

Have you tried resetting the microprocessor? Also note that if repair is required, sometimes you can get quicker turn around by shipping to the factory repair center PanurgyOEM in NJ.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM

I just tried the using the calibration microphone and it gives me a warning that the center and left front are out of phase. How do I correct this?
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Have you tried resetting the microprocessor? Also note that if repair is required, sometimes you can get quicker turn around by shipping to the factory repair center PanurgyOEM in NJ.

I have not tried resetting the microprocessor, but I will. Good to know about the factor repair center, thanks!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L01 View Post

I just tried the using the calibration microphone and it gives me a warning that the center and left front are out of phase. How do I correct this?

Make sure your speaker wire is hooked up correctly, positive to positive, and negative to negative. If speakers are wired correctly then just ignore as sometimes room acoustics and other speaker variables will give Audyssey a false out of phase result. This is a common occurrence.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Make sure your speaker wire is hooked up correctly, positive to positive, and negative to negative. If speakers are wired correctly then just ignore as sometimes room acoustics and other speaker variables will give Audyssey a false out of phase result. This is a common occurrence.

Ya I checked the pos to pos. ok I'll just ignore it. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM
585-645-1006

^^

Originally you said you had a 3312CI. Depending on whether you have the 3311CI (this thread) or the 3312CI (thread linked in my sig), you can see the various Audyssey error messages that might be displayed on p. 10 (3311CI) or p. 26 (3312CI)

Old 05-06-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Amp assign question
Hi, i have my 2312 set up as a 5.1 everything is fine, however i was wondering if someone could explain about amp assign as i'm not too sure about this feature. If i put it on "normal" the front speakers are a lot louder than the surrounds (i know they can be altred with the channel level), if i then change it to the "zone2" everything is very evenly balanced, (as with the 2 chanel setting). Am i correct in thinking the amp assign should be set on "normal" for a basic 5.1 set up & use the chanel level to raise the surround levels?
Thanks for any help.

amp assign has absolutely nothing to do with channel levels. you want to pick the setting you are going to use and then run Audyssey and it will calibrate everything.

"normal" is for a 7.1 setup although you can certainly use it for 5.1. Most of the time we suggest "zone 2" for a 5.1 setup so you can use the 2 amps for something else.

My assumption is that you left it on the default "zone 2" setting when you ran auto setup, and then when you switch to "normal" Audyssey is turned off (it forces you to re-run when you "add" new speakers), and that's why you are hearing the change in speaker volume.
_

I copied these post from the 2112 forum as this may help others understand amp assign when using zone 2.

I understand now why an external amp is required if you want 7.1 in the main zone and using zone 2.

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers