The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 317 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordvest View Post

This might seem like a strange question but I`ll ask it anyway

Is there any setting I can use so that I get sound just from the center speaker while watcing tv? I`m asking because for caual tv viewing the whole surround experience can be a bit overwheliming for all kinds of programs all the time...
Ideally I wouls have liked to program a setup where I downmix everything to the center channel and assigned a Quick Select for it and another Quick select for normal surround when I`m watching for films, sports etc. Is this possible??

(Obviously I could have used just the tv speakers in this scenario but they are unbearable to listen to and besides I need the auto lip sync on the Denon to correct the audio delay from my PVR)

You have a few options available to you ...

(1) Use "Multi CH Stereo" surround mode which replicates the FL/FR speaker audio to the SL/SR speakers placing the dialogue closer to your ears,
(2) Use a set of wireless headphones or or perhaps try TV EARS.
(3) Add an analog cable connection from the cable/sat box to the AVR to pass audio to Zone 2. Use either an additional single Zone 2 speaker or use an A/B switch and connect the existing center speaker to both the center speaker posts as well as the SBL speaker posts. When you want to listen to the center speaker only, set Amp Assign to Zone 2/3 Mono (p. 53), turn the main zone to OFF, turn Zone 2 ON, flip the speaker switch to "B" and you should be getting audio from the center speaker only.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm, So no way to get mono from the centerspeaker then without a complicated setup structure...
Thank you very much for your help. I`ll try option 1 at first to see if that distrubutes the sound mer evenly for causual listening to tv-programs
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

(1) Use "Multi CH Stereo" surround mode which replicates the FL/FR speaker audio to the SL/SR speakers placing the dialogue closer to your ears, .

Quote:

Hmm, So no way to get mono from the centerspeaker then without a complicated setup structure...
Thank you very much for your help. I`ll try option 1 at first to see if that distrubutes the sound mer evenly for causual listening to tv-programs

I generally switch from DD to Multi CH Stereo when watching sports, since this helps to emphasize the commentary over the ambient noise. It makes a world of difference.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:

correct. There is no "center mono" mode.

why not try just simple STEREO mode? it will cut out all the surround effects and, assuming you have decent speakers that are relatively properly placed, you should get a nice center image without too much distraction.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:22 AM

[quote=batpig;22051487]correct. There is no "center mono" mode.

why not try just simple STEREO mode? it will cut out all the surround effects and, assuming you have decent speakers that are relatively properly placed, you should get a nice center image without too much distraction.[/QUOTE

I feel that my fronts are decent enough (paradigm reference 9 mkIII or something like that)so stereo mode would have worked great if I always sat in the front speakers sweetspot when I watched tv. However; I don`t always sit in my "movie/music"-chair. Sometimes I just slouch somewhere on the sofa

Does the amp have multichannel analog inputs? That might have worked if I used a cable with two jacks from the PVR and one into the center-input on the Denon? But that wouldn`t have worked with the auto lip sync I guess so that`s presumably no use either...
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM

I am looking for some multi zone advice. I'm sure it has been answered before but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I have searched but I am a little overwhelmed by all of the info.

I currently have a 6.1 setup in my 'theatre'. I am adding a pair of patio speakers and a pair of bookshelf speakers in my living room.

Do I need to add external amplification to both zone 2 and 3 via the 3311ci preout's because I am already using the internal amps to run my rear surround channel?

Can I run three separate zones if my main room is 6.1? I only want 2 channel stereo audio on the patio and in the living room.

Would I be better off running zone 2 only, with an a and b speaker switch on the external amp?

Thank you in advance for any assistance
Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM
585-645-1006

^^
The 3311CI provides for 7 "powered" channels, so if you use 6 of them in your current configuration, you only have 1 left which doesn't do you any good since you need at least 2 more for a stereo signal. So unless you're willing to give up your single rear surround, you'll need to connect a 2CH amp to the Zone 2 preouts and another one to the Zone 3 preouts if you want independent sources to each of Zones 2 (patio) and 3 (living room). However, the nice thing about this setup is you can use a smart phone and the Denon Remote app to control all 3 zones.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Thank you so much for the advice/knowledge, I appreciate it. Here is the amp I am looking at, it's four channels with separate volume controls and RCA inputs for each side, should work well. One side for zone 2 and one side for zone 3. Thanks again!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...998977269.html
Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 PM

I've got an odd problem. When I change channels I lose the Volume GUI. I can still see the Menu GUI if I bring it up, but the Volume never shows up again until I put it in standby and power on again. Any ideas?

Panny PZ800U - Denon 3311CI - JBL CS6100BG 5.1 - Sony DVPCX995V 400-Disc DVD Player - Sony BDP-S5100-3D - HTC One (Used to Play Music via my 3311CI)

Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Put the AVR in Standby and then unplug it for 10 minutes.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:

^^
Put the AVR in Standby and then unplug it for 10 minutes.

I hate to do that, but I guess if things go wrong it will give me the excuse to take it to the repair center and get Airplay installed, since I can't get it to install at my house

Panny PZ800U - Denon 3311CI - JBL CS6100BG 5.1 - Sony DVPCX995V 400-Disc DVD Player - Sony BDP-S5100-3D - HTC One (Used to Play Music via my 3311CI)

Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangler88 View Post

Thank you so much for the advice/knowledge, I appreciate it. Here is the amp I am looking at, it's four channels with separate volume controls and RCA inputs for each side, should work well. One side for zone 2 and one side for zone 3. Thanks again!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...998977269.html

Yup ... that should do the trick.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post

I hate to do that, but I guess if things go wrong it will give me the excuse to take it to the repair center and get Airplay installed, since I can't get it to install at my house

Why? Unplugging it doesn't cause any loss of settings. It's the NEXT step (if needed) that will cause your loss of settings (ie. microprocessor reset). However, you can also avoid any loss if you can use the Web Control feature to SAVE the config.dat file to a PC. Also try rebooting your cable/sat box and TV (unplugging them as well).

Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:

^^
The 3311CI provides for 7 "powered" channels, so if you use 6 of them in your current configuration, you only have 1 left which doesn't do you any good since you need at least 2 more for a stereo signal. So unless you're willing to give up your single rear surround, you'll need to connect a 2CH amp to the Zone 2 preouts and another one to the Zone 3 preouts if you want independent sources to each of Zones 2 (patio) and 3 (living room). However, the nice thing about this setup is you can use a smart phone and the Denon Remote app to control all 3 zones.

I agree. That's the route I took. Two channel amps can be both small and cheap. Take a look at http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=310-300.

Hope that helps.

Michael
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I know this must be a stupid question, but I've searched this thread and the owners manual and I can't find an answer....so here goes.....
I just bought a Toshiba tablet and I've connected it to the HDMI input on the front face of my 3311ci. I can't, for the life of me figure out which input selector is connected with the front hdmi input. I've tried all input selectors and can only get a black screen. What input selector do I use to access the front hdmi input?
Thanks

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
585-645-1006

^^
It's actually noted under the HDMI jack itself as HDMI 6 or V. Aux.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks, but that's the first one I tried and I just get the black screen. I don't have to assign anything in particular to use that do I? It's set to automatic now.

Doug

Old 05-25-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
well, the problem may be the tablet itself. Many "nonstandard" video devices will have HDMI issues, especially when passed through an HDMI "repeater" like an AVR.

first try connecting straight to the TV to confirm HDMI output from the tablet.

then try using other HDMI inputs on the back of the AVR to see if the problem is just the front HDMI input.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:49 PM

Never mind, it's a brand new cable but apparently it's not a good one. Jiggling around the connection gets it to work.
Thanks for the help. This forum has always been a life saver.

Doug

Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone recommend a good place to still find one of these receivers? I would like to get one for a good price since these are a little older, but I know price talk really isn't allowed here, but hopefully someone can at least point me to a place.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:42 PM
585-645-1006

^^

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 PM

Liked: 11
It looks brand new and has worked perfectly for about 6 months. It has a tiny, little tin sticker on the back that says "Refurbished". Otherwise, you'd think it was brand new. I'm very satisfied. The 4311 costs more than double at acl. I was thinking of upgrading to utilize two wide speakers in a 9.1 set-up, but I can't justify the price gap. It sounds great as is.

BTW, a few months ago I bought this little Klipsch HD500 home theater speaker system for my bedroom. To complement it, I bought another identical subwoofer and two more identical satellite speakers from ebay, turning it into a 7.2 system. I'm using my old Denon AVR-3802 with it, and, even with that old AVR, it's unbelievable how good it sounds in a medium sized bedroom. I know it's just an illusion, but the little satellite speakers seem to pull the bass from the subwoofers to wherever it's needed. The deep bass actually seems to be coming from behind you at times, even though the twin 8" subwoofers are in the front of the room.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM
585-645-1006

^^
At least with the 3311CI you can switch between Surr Back and Front Wide without rewiring the speakers.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys for the info. I have the 4311 and it's great, but I'm looking for another cheap receiver to put out in the living room if I can't get the extra zone feature to do all I need.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM

Liked: 11
over a 7.1 receiver? I guess you can only speak to the issue if you are running 9 speakers.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:38 AM
585-645-1006

^^
4311CI/A100 owners will tell you it's worth it just for the better version of XT32 as there are those with only 5.1 setups using it .. the ability to expand up to 11.2 an added bonus.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevolumnus View Post

over a 7.1 receiver? I guess you can only speak to the issue if you are running 9 speakers.

yes... i only run 5.2, and won't ever go more than 5 in my existing room (although i might increase on the 2 someday)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^
4311CI/A100 owners will tell you it's worth it just for the better version of XT32 as there are those with only 5.1 setups using it .. the ability to expand up to 11.2 an added bonus.

Yup,this is the exact reason why I went with the 4311ci. I have dual subwoofers and to be able to properly calibrate them was the deciding factor. However, there have been some reports that XT32 calculates the F3 point differently than the original XT and might not fix some of the lower frequencies. I was going to get REW or something and take some in room measurements and buy a miniDSP to dial in the response curve a little better if needed.

The living room where I will put the 3311 will only have a pair of line arrays so the only deciding factor for this was it must have preouts since the line arrays will be powered with a much more powerful external amp.

EDIT: Here is a link to what I was talking about. I have no idea if it has been resolved, but the poster fixed his problems with a miniDSP. It should be pointed out that he has 8 18" LMS drivers that can play over 125db at 10Hz so it is puzzling why XT32 would just ignore so much of the lower frequencies.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21801515
Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM

I am expanding from a 3.0 to 5.0 system and wish to run Audyssey for the first time. Do I need to tell Audyssey that I do not have a sub-woofer. I assume I do need to do that, but am not sure how.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:00 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Just plug the Audyssey mic into the mic jack on the front panel and the AUTO SETUP program will take you through the required steps.

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers