The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 356 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #10651 of 10668 Old 12-06-2015, 03:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7447 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Is there a way to force certain settings with audessy? For some reason, it keeps auto setting my fronts and center to large, and turning my sub down to like -9 db. I don't think the sub is hardly doing anything. Maybe that's how it should be? :/ at least for music on stereo it sounds a bit weak. Maybe on movies it would be more accurate..
After running Audyssey, go into Manual Setup and change the FL/C/FR speakers to SMALL/80Hz and raise the sub roughly +5db (to -4db or to suit your personal preference).

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10652 of 10668 Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 3311CI in my family room. On rare occasion when watching a Blu-ray the receiver will shutoff due to overloading. I do have the volume higher than normal but it is by no means loud. It is fairly repeatable with Blu-ray movies but almost never happens with other types of media. What I have noticed is that when playing a Blu-ray the dialog is so low in volume that I turn it up to about -25dB just to hear people speaking. I have a hard time believing for such a high end receiver at such low volumes would cause it to overload and shut off. I even have a cooling fan on the receiver to help keep it cool. Does anyone have any experience with this to help me figure out my best options for dealing with this issue?

Update
My wife just asked, "Can the kids even hear this?" yet it is shutting off due to overload. It shut off a few more times. Now we are watching the movie at - 35dB. Can barely hear any of the dialog. I know that when I rip this BR to an MKV and then play that with the Roku that volume won't be a problem.

Last edited by scottlindner; 12-26-2015 at 07:48 PM.
post #10653 of 10668 Old 12-27-2015, 04:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
I have a 3311CI in my family room. On rare occasion when watching a Blu-ray the receiver will shutoff due to overloading. I do have the volume higher than normal but it is by no means loud. It is fairly repeatable with Blu-ray movies but almost never happens with other types of media. What I have noticed is that when playing a Blu-ray the dialog is so low in volume that I turn it up to about -25dB just to hear people speaking. I have a hard time believing for such a high end receiver at such low volumes would cause it to overload and shut off. I even have a cooling fan on the receiver to help keep it cool. Does anyone have any experience with this to help me figure out my best options for dealing with this issue?

Update
My wife just asked, "Can the kids even hear this?" yet it is shutting off due to overload. It shut off a few more times. Now we are watching the movie at - 35dB. Can barely hear any of the dialog. I know that when I rip this BR to an MKV and then play that with the Roku that volume won't be a problem.
After running Audyssey, you can set Dynamic Volume to Medium which will help to boost lower level dialog and also allow the master volume level to be lower. The most common cause for the AVR shutting down in protection mode is due to a stray speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post which can cause the AVR to shut down at higher volume levels. Visually inspect all speaker wire connections on the back of the AVR. If you have in wall wiring, it's possible a wire has been cut open and touching a nail or other sharp metal object. If verified there are no loose speaker wires, the next reason for shut down is playing 4-ohm speakers too loud (ie. at the level you're at now) in which case, you'll need to add a much more powerful 2, 3, or 5 CH external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5). If your speakers are 6,8 ohm and fairly efficient (ie. 87db+), a third reason would be due to a defective amp on the AVR or a defective speaker. Disconnect all speakers from the AVR and reconnect one at a time, raising the volume up above the current shut down level until you locate the speaker that causes the shut down. Swap that speaker with another speaker in the same speaker posts to determine if the issue is the speaker or the on board amp itself. If the on board amp, you're looking at repair or replace as the AVR is likely outside of it's 3 year warranty.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #10654 of 10668 Old 12-27-2015, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks JD. I knew you'd respond with something useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
After running Audyssey, you can set Dynamic Volume to Medium which will help to boost lower level dialog and also allow the master volume level to be lower.
I already have it set for midnight mode for this reason.

Quote:
The most common cause for the AVR shutting down in protection mode is due to a stray speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post which can cause the AVR to shut down at higher volume levels. Visually inspect all speaker wire connections on the back of the AVR. If you have in wall wiring, it's possible a wire has been cut open and touching a nail or other sharp metal object.
I will have to investigate this one. I ran in wall wires with wall plates on both sides of the room to hide the long wire runs. It's possible there is something off in the wall plates. They are congested so this is my primary culprit to chase down first. Will an impedance test on the wires identify this as a short? I can't imagine it would take too long to rifle through all wire pair combinations with a multimeter. I'm wondering if it is a true short, or if it's more of a higher impedance sort of thing due to lightly touching, or even intermittent due to vibrations.

Quote:
If verified there are no loose speaker wires, the next reason for shut down is playing 4-ohm speakers too loud (ie. at the level you're at now) in which case, you'll need to add a much more powerful 2, 3, or 5 CH external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5).
The speakers are Paradigm Cinema 110 CT. The specs on Amazon say they are 8ohm with 90dB sensitivity, and the Paradigm site says "Compatible with 8 ohms" and 90dB / 87 dB sensitivity.

Quote:
If your speakers are 6,8 ohm and fairly efficient (ie. 87db+), a third reason would be due to a defective amp on the AVR or a defective speaker. Disconnect all speakers from the AVR and reconnect one at a time, raising the volume up above the current shut down level until you locate the speaker that causes the shut down. Swap that speaker with another speaker in the same speaker posts to determine if the issue is the speaker or the on board amp itself. If the on board amp, you're looking at repair or replace as the AVR is likely outside of it's 3 year warranty.
I may be overly optimistic, but I doubt it's a bad AVR. I do purchase all pricey electronics like this on a credit card that offers extended warranty.

Thanks again for the response. I will post back my findings as I dig into them.
post #10655 of 10668 Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So this may be a stupid question, but if you are using a Dolby Atmos source will the 3311 be able to process it?
post #10656 of 10668 Old 01-11-2016, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaberst View Post
So this may be a stupid question, but if you are using a Dolby Atmos source will the 3311 be able to process it?
It will play the core Dolby TrueHD track only.

------------

post #10657 of 10668 Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Welp, after all these years my 3311ci finally got the red blinking ring of death. What's the average repair cost? I was reading it's probably the regulators, but I'm no electrician. I may be able to do it if there are specific directions. I just bought a uhd tv, so it might be time for a new reciever.......

Thanks all
post #10658 of 10668 Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM

Liked: 10
Help please

Goodnight friend,

I suffer with my Denon 3311 , you are saying please wait , retry update and not out of it , if I connect the network cable it is 8, 7, 6 min and after 80 update fail .
Is there any way for me to update it by rs232 ?
Please help me because I can not use the device in this way.

Thank you!
post #10659 of 10668 Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 AM

Another hdmi board issue...

Last night when I turned on my avr I had no audio or video for any of my 3 hdmi inputs. The Denon on-screen menu works on both hdmi outs so I think the problem is with the input.
Then I noticed my Panasonic bd60 showing a "u72" error when selected, which is a handshake problem. When I select another input the error on the dvd goes away and it starts playing.
I have disconnected all other inputs and tried the dvd on each input and even the aux hdmi on the front of the avr but continue to get the same handshake error.
As a last resort I did the micro-processor reset a couple of times but no change.
So what are may options at this point ? Is it true that I can't get the hdmi board serviced or replaced ?
post #10660 of 10668 Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreduenhas View Post
Goodnight friend,

I suffer with my Denon 3311 , you are saying please wait , retry update and not out of it , if I connect the network cable it is 8, 7, 6 min and after 80 update fail .
Is there any way for me to update it by rs232 ?
Please help me because I can not use the device in this way.

Thank you!
Try doing a "network reset" by powering off the 3311 and then while pressing/holding the UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel, power on the 3311. Release the power button, but continue holding the UP/DOWN arrow buttons for at least 5 seconds. Doing this procedure, should allow you to restart the update. Ensure the network cable is connected directly to the router. Updating via RS232 is not possible.

------------

post #10661 of 10668 Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24tate View Post
Last night when I turned on my avr I had no audio or video for any of my 3 hdmi inputs. The Denon on-screen menu works on both hdmi outs so I think the problem is with the input.
Then I noticed my Panasonic bd60 showing a "u72" error when selected, which is a handshake problem. When I select another input the error on the dvd goes away and it starts playing.
I have disconnected all other inputs and tried the dvd on each input and even the aux hdmi on the front of the avr but continue to get the same handshake error.
As a last resort I did the micro-processor reset a couple of times but no change.
So what are may options at this point ? Is it true that I can't get the hdmi board serviced or replaced ?
HDMI handshakes can be mitigated by powering on the devices in the HDMI chain in a specific order, allowing at least 5-10 sec pause between each device. The most common order is TV-->AVR --> Source. As the 3311 is now almost 6 years old, it is unlikely that there are any HDMI boards available although you can check with Denon or one of its authorized parts distributors to confirm.

------------

post #10662 of 10668 Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 AM

Thanks JD, while I have never had a problem or paid particular attention to start up sequencing I will give it a try tonight when I get home. It would be a shame to lose an otherwise fully functional avr over this issue.
Is this a widespread issue with these units ?

Last edited by 24tate; 02-08-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #10663 of 10668 Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24tate View Post
Thanks JD, while I have never had a problem or paid particular attention to start up sequencing I will give it a try tonight when I get home. It would be a shame to loose an otherwise fully functional avr over this issue.
Is this a widespread issue with these units ?
If by "these units" you mean all brands/models of AVRs .... yes.

------------

post #10664 of 10668 Unread Today, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 88
After several years of performing without any problems, my Denon 3311CI is now exhiting a problem. I'm using it in 2-channel stereo mode in my bedroom and starting a few days ago, the sound coming out of my right channel is very low. I have switched the cables between the right and left channels and confirmed that there is no problem with the speaker itself. There is definitely audio coming out of the right channel, but it is extremely low in volume and is only audible when one disconnects the left speaker. Before I ditch the AVR, is there a reset button that I could use to go back to factory defaults? Since the AVR is close to ground level in an open A/V stand, I am wondering if someone accidentally hit a button on it that has caused this problem to occur. I have owned AVR's for over 25 years and have never experienced anything like this before. I've tried looking through all the menus but cannot find anything that is obviously wrong with the settings. But if there is a reset button, I'll try that before deciding whether it is time to replace the unit or not.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68
post #10665 of 10668 Unread Today, 03:17 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
After several years of performing without any problems, my Denon 3311CI is now exhiting a problem. I'm using it in 2-channel stereo mode in my bedroom and starting a few days ago, the sound coming out of my right channel is very low. I have switched the cables between the right and left channels and confirmed that there is no problem with the speaker itself. There is definitely audio coming out of the right channel, but it is extremely low in volume and is only audible when one disconnects the left speaker. Before I ditch the AVR, is there a reset button that I could use to go back to factory defaults? Since the AVR is close to ground level in an open A/V stand, I am wondering if someone accidentally hit a button on it that has caused this problem to occur. I have owned AVR's for over 25 years and have never experienced anything like this before. I've tried looking through all the menus but cannot find anything that is obviously wrong with the settings. But if there is a reset button, I'll try that before deciding whether it is time to replace the unit or not.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1245713  

------------

post #10666 of 10668 Unread Today, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you very much JD. Much appreciated. I sure hope that this solves the problem because I don't really want to buy a new AVR for use in my bedroom. I normally move equipment in there when I upgrade my home theater. And I'm not planning to do any upgrading there for a while!

Cal68
post #10667 of 10668 Unread Today, 03:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post
Thank you very much JD. Much appreciated. I sure hope that this solves the problem because I don't really want to buy a new AVR for use in my bedroom. I normally move equipment in there when I upgrade my home theater. And I'm not planning to do any upgrading there for a while!
Certainly worth a try ... in fact ... do it at least 4-5 times in a row.

If still no joy, may be amp failure, so another option to try since you're only using STEREO mode would be to set AMP ASSIGN to "2CH" (p. 79 Owner's manual) and move both speakers to the "Surround Back" speaker posts.

------------

post #10668 of 10668 Unread Today, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Certainly worth a try ... in fact ... do it at least 4-5 times in a row.

If still no joy, may be amp failure, so another option to try since you're only using STEREO mode would be to set AMP ASSIGN to "2CH" (p. 79 Owner's manual) and move both speakers to the "Surround Back" speaker posts.
Thanks for the great advice. I'm traveling this week but will try your suggestions and report back on whether I was successful or not in resurrecting the AVR.

Cal68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page