The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 356 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #10651 of 10658 Old 12-06-2015, 03:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7330 Post(s)
Liked: 3373
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Is there a way to force certain settings with audessy? For some reason, it keeps auto setting my fronts and center to large, and turning my sub down to like -9 db. I don't think the sub is hardly doing anything. Maybe that's how it should be? :/ at least for music on stereo it sounds a bit weak. Maybe on movies it would be more accurate..
After running Audyssey, go into Manual Setup and change the FL/C/FR speakers to SMALL/80Hz and raise the sub roughly +5db (to -4db or to suit your personal preference).

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10652 of 10658 Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 3311CI in my family room. On rare occasion when watching a Blu-ray the receiver will shutoff due to overloading. I do have the volume higher than normal but it is by no means loud. It is fairly repeatable with Blu-ray movies but almost never happens with other types of media. What I have noticed is that when playing a Blu-ray the dialog is so low in volume that I turn it up to about -25dB just to hear people speaking. I have a hard time believing for such a high end receiver at such low volumes would cause it to overload and shut off. I even have a cooling fan on the receiver to help keep it cool. Does anyone have any experience with this to help me figure out my best options for dealing with this issue?

Update
My wife just asked, "Can the kids even hear this?" yet it is shutting off due to overload. It shut off a few more times. Now we are watching the movie at - 35dB. Can barely hear any of the dialog. I know that when I rip this BR to an MKV and then play that with the Roku that volume won't be a problem.

Last edited by scottlindner; 12-26-2015 at 07:48 PM.
post #10653 of 10658 Old 12-27-2015, 04:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlindner View Post
I have a 3311CI in my family room. On rare occasion when watching a Blu-ray the receiver will shutoff due to overloading. I do have the volume higher than normal but it is by no means loud. It is fairly repeatable with Blu-ray movies but almost never happens with other types of media. What I have noticed is that when playing a Blu-ray the dialog is so low in volume that I turn it up to about -25dB just to hear people speaking. I have a hard time believing for such a high end receiver at such low volumes would cause it to overload and shut off. I even have a cooling fan on the receiver to help keep it cool. Does anyone have any experience with this to help me figure out my best options for dealing with this issue?

Update
My wife just asked, "Can the kids even hear this?" yet it is shutting off due to overload. It shut off a few more times. Now we are watching the movie at - 35dB. Can barely hear any of the dialog. I know that when I rip this BR to an MKV and then play that with the Roku that volume won't be a problem.
After running Audyssey, you can set Dynamic Volume to Medium which will help to boost lower level dialog and also allow the master volume level to be lower. The most common cause for the AVR shutting down in protection mode is due to a stray speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post which can cause the AVR to shut down at higher volume levels. Visually inspect all speaker wire connections on the back of the AVR. If you have in wall wiring, it's possible a wire has been cut open and touching a nail or other sharp metal object. If verified there are no loose speaker wires, the next reason for shut down is playing 4-ohm speakers too loud (ie. at the level you're at now) in which case, you'll need to add a much more powerful 2, 3, or 5 CH external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5). If your speakers are 6,8 ohm and fairly efficient (ie. 87db+), a third reason would be due to a defective amp on the AVR or a defective speaker. Disconnect all speakers from the AVR and reconnect one at a time, raising the volume up above the current shut down level until you locate the speaker that causes the shut down. Swap that speaker with another speaker in the same speaker posts to determine if the issue is the speaker or the on board amp itself. If the on board amp, you're looking at repair or replace as the AVR is likely outside of it's 3 year warranty.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #10654 of 10658 Old 12-27-2015, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks JD. I knew you'd respond with something useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
After running Audyssey, you can set Dynamic Volume to Medium which will help to boost lower level dialog and also allow the master volume level to be lower.
I already have it set for midnight mode for this reason.

Quote:
The most common cause for the AVR shutting down in protection mode is due to a stray speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post which can cause the AVR to shut down at higher volume levels. Visually inspect all speaker wire connections on the back of the AVR. If you have in wall wiring, it's possible a wire has been cut open and touching a nail or other sharp metal object.
I will have to investigate this one. I ran in wall wires with wall plates on both sides of the room to hide the long wire runs. It's possible there is something off in the wall plates. They are congested so this is my primary culprit to chase down first. Will an impedance test on the wires identify this as a short? I can't imagine it would take too long to rifle through all wire pair combinations with a multimeter. I'm wondering if it is a true short, or if it's more of a higher impedance sort of thing due to lightly touching, or even intermittent due to vibrations.

Quote:
If verified there are no loose speaker wires, the next reason for shut down is playing 4-ohm speakers too loud (ie. at the level you're at now) in which case, you'll need to add a much more powerful 2, 3, or 5 CH external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5).
The speakers are Paradigm Cinema 110 CT. The specs on Amazon say they are 8ohm with 90dB sensitivity, and the Paradigm site says "Compatible with 8 ohms" and 90dB / 87 dB sensitivity.

Quote:
If your speakers are 6,8 ohm and fairly efficient (ie. 87db+), a third reason would be due to a defective amp on the AVR or a defective speaker. Disconnect all speakers from the AVR and reconnect one at a time, raising the volume up above the current shut down level until you locate the speaker that causes the shut down. Swap that speaker with another speaker in the same speaker posts to determine if the issue is the speaker or the on board amp itself. If the on board amp, you're looking at repair or replace as the AVR is likely outside of it's 3 year warranty.
I may be overly optimistic, but I doubt it's a bad AVR. I do purchase all pricey electronics like this on a credit card that offers extended warranty.

Thanks again for the response. I will post back my findings as I dig into them.
post #10655 of 10658 Old 01-11-2016, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So this may be a stupid question, but if you are using a Dolby Atmos source will the 3311 be able to process it?
post #10656 of 10658 Old 01-11-2016, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaberst View Post
So this may be a stupid question, but if you are using a Dolby Atmos source will the 3311 be able to process it?
It will play the core Dolby TrueHD track only.

------------

post #10657 of 10658 Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Welp, after all these years my 3311ci finally got the red blinking ring of death. What's the average repair cost? I was reading it's probably the regulators, but I'm no electrician. I may be able to do it if there are specific directions. I just bought a uhd tv, so it might be time for a new reciever.......

Thanks all
post #10658 of 10658 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help please

Goodnight friend,

I suffer with my Denon 3311 , you are saying please wait , retry update and not out of it , if I connect the network cable it is 8, 7, 6 min and after 80 update fail .
Is there any way for me to update it by rs232 ?
Please help me because I can not use the device in this way.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread