The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 357 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #10681 of 10690 Old 05-26-2016, 11:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10304 Post(s)
Liked: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by billster8 View Post
Hi Guys, I hope someone can help with a silly but annoying issue I have been having lately. When I start my 991 it is supposed to start on sat/cable input and it does...but then switches to TV for some reason all by itself. I looked through the menu options and set it to last source for starting up and it still defaults back to TV.

I am wondering if perhaps it is because of the way the TV shuts down everything including the 991 when I hit the off button that it is defaulting back to TV when it starts up again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is occurring because you have HDMI(ARC) enabled on the TV so either set the HDMI-CEC setting on the TV (eg. Anynet+, BraviaSync, VierraLink, etc.) or AVR (HDMI Control) to OFF.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

Ask me how to get a FREE HEOS 1 HS2 wireless/Bluetooth speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 10690 Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I struggle to connect 2 cable boxes to AVR 991. Here is my situation. Item 1: apple tv (2nd gen) that connect direct via hdmi cable to TV monitor. Audio through optical cable to AVR991. Item 2: cable box that connects direct via hdmi cable to TV monitor and audio via 2 audio cables to AVR991.
First of all I want to use the HDMI options of the AVR 991 to the full extent: connect the TV monitor to the HDMI output, cable box to the HDMI input CableBox. However: picture on monitor shows only now and then, but mostly not at all. Handshaking issue with monitor? Panasonic TH-42PH9UK. Maybe monitor is too old to handle this new stuff. Next issue is to which HDMI port I need to connect the AppleTV. I have tried all the ports but none of them responds to the incoming signal.
I have given up on this already quite some years ago, but most likely I did oversee an important setting that needs to be adjusted in order to get it working. And now I found this site with the hope that someone could assist me with these issues.
Thanks for any advice.
post #10683 of 10690 Old 06-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why you conect the apple tv and cable box to the monitor?, that is wrong.
Plug hdmi from Apple TV and cable box directly to the AVR - 991, then hdmi out to monitor, you don't need to use the optical cable anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

post #10684 of 10690 Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think my AVR-3311ci might be dead?

Turned it on, no video out on HDMI monitor 1. No sound. Tried all inputs (HDMI) and also internal net and FM radio. No sound or video. Front panel seems to indicate everything correctly. So I tried to unplug and wait, that did nothing, then did a microprocessor reset, and from the front panel that appeared to take, but still no output. anything else to try?

scott s.
post #10685 of 10690 Old 06-28-2016, 02:15 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
I think my AVR-3311ci might be dead?

Turned it on, no video out on HDMI monitor 1. No sound. Tried all inputs (HDMI) and also internal net and FM radio. No sound or video. Front panel seems to indicate everything correctly. So I tried to unplug and wait, that did nothing, then did a microprocessor reset, and from the front panel that appeared to take, but still no output. anything else to try?

scott s.
Try using HDMI Monitor 2. Try doing a series of microprocessor resets in a row (at least 4-5) as that has been know to work in a few cases where a single reset did not. If still no joy, and if outside the 3 yr mfr warranty + possible 1 year additional credit card warranty, time to upgrade to a newer model. The 2015 models are on clearance now as the newer 2016 models are being released. The new 2016 X3300W to be released in the next few weeks will use the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and be capable of Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.2.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Authorized dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, SVS, Oppo

post #10686 of 10690 Old 06-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try using HDMI Monitor 2. Try doing a series of microprocessor resets in a row (at least 4-5) as that has been know to work in a few cases where a single reset did not. If still no joy, and if outside the 3 yr mfr warranty + possible 1 year additional credit card warranty, time to upgrade to a newer model. The 2015 models are on clearance now as the newer 2016 models are being released. The new 2016 X3300W to be released in the next few weeks will use the more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and be capable of Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.2.
OK I hit the processor reset again, and this time it seems to have worked, at least the internal FM tuner and net radio is working. Of course I lost all my settings (I might have a settings backup somewhere but it has been so long since I have had to do anything I don't know where the file is nor if it is really current). Now I have to reconnect my hdmi inputs (had to do an emergency re-route direct to the monitor hdmi ports for family peace yesterday), I was looking at the X2300W since I am planning to upgrade monitor to 4k/HDR but since the reset seems to have worked will take a look at the X3300W once it is out.

Thanks for your help

scott s.
post #10687 of 10690 Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I am moving (not that anyone cares about that). I will be setting up my stuff in a new room. So have some questions..
I upgraded my TV to a Sony XBR75X940D... I currently have my XB1, PS3, and Cable all hooked up to my Denon. I have been toying with the idea of going with a soundbar or some sort of wireless speaker solution. The room I am putting things into is large and running speaker wires will be a bit of pain and will be hard to hide.

So my questions...
1. Are there any wireless or soundbar solutions that will work with the Denon?
2. Will i have any issues with using a 4k TV with the Denon? is it time to upgrade my receiver?
3. Any good speaker recommendations? I have Boston acoustic speakers now with an energy subwoofer. They are small and sound okay.

Thanks in advance for any help. Look forward to reading peoples replies..
post #10688 of 10690 Old 07-15-2016, 04:11 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru1313 View Post
So I am moving (not that anyone cares about that). I will be setting up my stuff in a new room. So have some questions..
I upgraded my TV to a Sony XBR75X940D... I currently have my XB1, PS3, and Cable all hooked up to my Denon. I have been toying with the idea of going with a soundbar or some sort of wireless speaker solution. The room I am putting things into is large and running speaker wires will be a bit of pain and will be hard to hide.

So my questions...
1. Are there any wireless or soundbar solutions that will work with the Denon?
2. Will i have any issues with using a 4k TV with the Denon? is it time to upgrade my receiver?
3. Any good speaker recommendations? I have Boston acoustic speakers now with an energy subwoofer. They are small and sound okay.

Thanks in advance for any help. Look forward to reading peoples replies..
1. You're going to have to upgrade the 3311CI as it won't pass 4k video so either re-purpose it to another room or sell it. You can then select a "powered" soundbar and wireless sub like the Denon HEOS Home Cinema.

https://usa.denon.com/us/heos-home-c...bwoofer-system

2. Not until you try to pass a 4k source through the AVR. Yes, if you want to pass 4k sources through the AVR.

3. Why? Thought you were going to use a sound bar?

------------

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-16-2016 at 01:53 AM.
post #10689 of 10690 Old 07-15-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. You're going to have to upgrade the 3311CI as it won't pass 4k video so either re-purpose it to another room or sell it. You can then select a "powered" soundbar and wireless sub like the Denon HEOS Home Cinema.

https://usa.denon.com/us/heos-home-c...bwoofer-system

2. Yup. Yup.

3. Why? Thought you were going to use a sound bar?
Thanks for the response.. Was afraid i would have to upgrade. :-( Maybe I just go the sonos route for now until I want to replace my receiver. This def was not in the budget. Wonder how much I could sell my 3311 for? Also could I still use it? Would I just lose the ability to watch anything in 4K?
post #10690 of 10690 Old 07-16-2016, 01:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru1313 View Post
Thanks for the response.. Was afraid i would have to upgrade. :-( Maybe I just go the sonos route for now until I want to replace my receiver. This def was not in the budget. Wonder how much I could sell my 3311 for? Also could I still use it? Would I just lose the ability to watch anything in 4K?
Edited my previous post. There should be no problem until you want to pass a 4k source through the AVR. And if a BDP will be your only 4k source, purchase a dual HDMI 4k BDP player to pass the video to the 4k TV and the audio to the 3311.
andru1313 likes this.

------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page