The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 359 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #10741 of 10760 Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
2. The 3311CI can only operate 7CH (5.1+FH/FW/SB). You must upgrade to the X4200W (7CH expandable to 9CH using 2CH amp).

Edit: Front Wide is no longer supported on the 2016 models, so the X4300H would not work for your use case.

3311CI to my knowledge is also 7 channels avr expandable to 9CH using 2CH amp. And I did use an external amp and still, I only could get either Front Wide or Front Height but not 4 at all the same time, even with an external amp. So something is odd, I even tried to set-up all that manually without surround back speakers (set to none in manual setup) but still could not get Front Wide and Front Height play at all the same time. One or other pair (FW or FH) played but not both at the same time. And on top of that SB still played !!! What gives ? How can I only play get Front Wide and Front Height at a the same time. Can I setup my system with only these 4 speakers FW and FH) only - forget all other surround. By the way I also have x4200w and I believe that it has the exact same specs as 3311CI which is (7CH expandable to 9CH using 2CH amp)

I am a bit confused here , sorry

Thanks,
N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10760 Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14594 Post(s)
Liked: 6925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonowski View Post
3311CI to my knowledge is also 7 channels avr expandable to 9CH using 2CH amp. And I did use an external amp and still, I only could get either Front Wide or Front Height but not 4 at all the same time, even with an external amp. So something is odd, I even tried to set-up all that manually without surround back speakers (set to none in manual setup) but still could not get Front Wide and Front Height play at all the same time. One or other pair (FW or FH) played but not both at the same time. And on top of that SB still played !!! What gives ? How can I only play get Front Wide and Front Height at a the same time. Can I setup my system with only these 4 speakers FW and FH) only - forget all other surround. By the way I also have x4200w and I believe that it has the exact same specs as 3311CI which is (7CH expandable to 9CH using 2CH amp)

I am a bit confused here , sorry

Thanks,
N.
The 3311CI was released in 2010 and cannot expand beyond 7CH. In fact the first successor model to the 3311CI that can expand is the 2014 X4100W.
post #10743 of 10760 Old 02-23-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The 3311CI was released in 2010 and cannot expand beyond 7CH. In fact the first successor model to the 3311CI that can expand is the 2014 X4100W.
So what's advantage of adding external amp to 3311CI - none ? Also, are you saying that x4200w with an external amp that has 2 channels, can do what I described - playing both FH and FW at the same time ? If so, what surround mode could I achieve with that - would that be Audyssey DSX driven for all channels ?

Thanks,
N.

post #10744 of 10760 Old 02-23-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
So what's advantage of adding external amp to 3311CI - none ? Also, are you saying that x4200w with an external amp that has 2 channels, can do what I described - playing both FH and FW at the same time ? If so, what surround mode could I achieve with that - would that be Audyssey DSX driven for all channels ?

Thanks,
N.

1. A more powerful external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2 @ 300W) would provide more power than the AVR internal amps.
2. Correct. The X4200W could use either Audyssey DSX or DTS Neural:X for a 7.1.2 configuration (ie. 5.1 + FW + FH).
post #10745 of 10760 Old 02-23-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
1. A more powerful external amp (eg. Emotiva XPA-2 @ 300W) would provide more power than the AVR internal amps.
2. Correct. The X4200W could use either Audyssey DSX or DTS Neural:X for a 7.1.2 configuration (ie. 5.1 + FW + FH).

Thanks JD , one more clarification then - when I look at the back of my 4200w I see that there are 13.2 preouts plus additional pre-outs for zone 2 and 3. So if I am not mistaken, analog preouts are live at all times so which channels I am getting on these 13.analog preouts if I only can get 7.1.2 or 9.1 with this avr with an external amp ?

Is the only way to have 11.2 channels playing at all times is the get the 630H model ?

Thanks,
N.
post #10746 of 10760 Old 02-23-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks JD , one more clarification then - when I look at the back of my 4200w I see that there are 13.2 preouts plus additional pre-outs for zone 2 and 3. So if I am not mistaken, analog preouts are live at all times so which channels I am getting on these 13.analog preouts if I only can get 7.1.2 or 9.1 with this avr with an external amp ?

Is the only way to have 11.2 channels playing at all times is the get the 630H model ?

Thanks,
N.
1. Although you can connect up to 13 speakers, only 9 of them will operate at any one time depending on the surround mode that is selected.
2. Again, if you want to use Front Wide speakers, they are not supported on the 2016 models (X4300H, X6300H), rather you would have to purchase the X6200W (9CH expandable to 11CH using 2CH amp) if you want the AVR to operate 11 speakers in the main zone to include Front Wide speakers.
post #10747 of 10760 Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Pull the cable from the sub pre-out and rub your finger over the tip of the cable. Hear static from the sub? If no, either the cable or the sub is defective. Use a different cable to test (can use a red/white/yellow composite video cable for testing).
Ended up running a new cable from my AVR-991 to my sub, still doesn't work. I feared it was the AVR as I have dual subs, I didn't think that both would stop at the same time. Bites that this receiver only lasted 6 years. My previous receiver, a Sony STR-DA30ES which I bought back in 2000 is still working as my garage receiver feeding my outdoor speakers.
post #10748 of 10760 Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
1. Although you can connect up to 13 speakers, only 9 of them will operate at any one time depending on the surround mode that is selected.
2. Again, if you want to use Front Wide speakers, they are not supported on the 2016 models (X4300H, X6300H), rather you would have to purchase the X6200W (9CH expandable to 11CH using 2CH amp) if you want the AVR to operate 11 speakers in the main zone to include Front Wide speakers.

OK so if I bought X6200W (9CH expandable to 11CH using 2CH amp), then I could operate (playing sound though them) 11 speakers , right ?

Thanks,
N,
post #10749 of 10760 Old 02-28-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
OK so if I bought X6200W (9CH expandable to 11CH using 2CH amp), then I could operate (playing sound though them) 11 speakers , right ?

Thanks,
N,

Right .... as long as you added a 2CH external amp.
post #10750 of 10760 Old 02-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still an issue...even with 4300

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by mikmax1

I have a JVC (One of the last) VCR hooked up to my 3311 via the DVR ports (Analog RCA Jacks).

The TV is of course, hooked up to the 3311 via HDMI. Everything else works great.
When I try to play the VCR thru the 3311, the Video comes on briefly, then goes black. Then it cylces back on, then off, etc. Reminds me of old MacroVision problems. Yet this it a Home-made VHS Camcorder tape.

The VCR and Tape play fine via the Coax cable to the TV with the TV on "good old Channel 3".

Anyone got a clue why the VCR will not cleanly pass thru the HDMI?

As noted in the manual, the AVR sometimes has issues with older technology video sources. You may need to connect the yellow composite video cable to the TV directly.

This quote is a few years old...and back then....I GAVE up. Now I have a new 4300. Pretty much same problem. Sound from VHS works thru the Denon. Video works, but if I touch the VCR Menu button, the menu pops up, screen goes black. Only if I unplug the RCA video jack from the Denon and re-plug back in, will the video return. Not a good solution, once I push the 4300 in the rack. I tried running RCA jacks into the TV and using ARC with limited success. Was also trying to use the Optical to run Audio thru TV and back out to Receiver...NADA. Anybody got any insight into this. I even tried swapping out the VHS machines. (Yeah....I still have two of them in service)
post #10751 of 10760 Old 03-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Only 6 inputs are usable? Or did I hide some?

I just added a Chromecast device to my AVR-3311CI, and tried to use HDMI4 and had some trouble.

It's been a while since I've done input assignments. I *vaguely* recall that there's some way to hide unused inputs, and I must have done so in the past. I can't for the life of me figure out how to un-hide them now...

I realize that on input assign there are really just "slots", and you supply a name for each and select an input from a drop-down (in web interface, but similar concept using remote - I tried both!)

Thing is, there are 6 HDMI inputs (PLUS other types of inputs), but not enough slots to use them all. There is a gap in my list.

I was able to set-up the Cast device on HDMI 4 by re-assigning the last slot, which was assigned to V.AUX, which I seldom use.

So, I got it to work, but it's bugging me that I have two HDMI inputs that I apparently can't use.

Here is my current input assign:

Bluray HDMI1 None None
AppleTV HDMI2 None None
TV None OPT1 None
Cable HDMI3 None None
(gap on web page)
CAST HDMI4 None None

These are all of the slots that are available, and can see no way to add more.

I wrote down all of the settings and reset the input assign, but that didn't buy me any more slots.

How do I get my "hidden" slots back?!

----
BTW, if you are wondering why I have both Apple TV and ChromeCast, I'm a software developer, and am working on an open-source text-to-speech service/audio file player (based on node google-home-notifier, but will be renaming my fork google-cast-public-address, since it now does more than just TTS and as well isn't limited to just playing on Google Home..., and needed a Cast device to test casting to devices other than Google Home... It's main use is to send asynchronous TTS feedback to a Google Home device from home automation controllers, etc.

Last edited by jtara; 03-25-2017 at 10:57 PM.
post #10752 of 10760 Old 03-25-2017, 11:32 PM
JJ7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtara View Post
I just added a Chromecast device to my AVR-3311CI, and tried to use HDMI4 and had some trouble.

It's been a while since I've done input assignments. I *vaguely* recall that there's some way to hide unused inputs, and I must have done so in the past. I can't for the life of me figure out how to un-hide them now...

I realize that on input assign there are really just "slots", and you supply a name for each and select an input from a drop-down (in web interface, but similar concept using remote - I tried both!)

Thing is, there are 6 HDMI inputs (PLUS other types of inputs), but not enough slots to use them all. There is a gap in my list.

I was able to set-up the Cast device on HDMI 4 by re-assigning the last slot, which was assigned to V.AUX, which I seldom use.

So, I got it to work, but it's bugging me that I have two HDMI inputs that I apparently can't use.

Bluray HDMI1 None None
AppleTV HDMI2 None None
TV None OPT1 None
Cable HDMI3 None None
(gap on web page)
CAST HDMI4 None None

I wrote down all of the settings and reset the input assign, but that didn't buy me any more slots.

----
BTW, if you are wondering why I have both Apple TV and ChromeCast, I'm a software developer, and am working on an open-source text-to-speech service/audio file player (based on node google-home-notifier, but will be renaming my fork google-cast-public-address, since it now does more than just TTS and as well isn't limited to just playing on Google Home..., and needed a Cast device to test casting to devices other than Google Home... It's main use is to send asynchronous TTS feedback to a Google Home device from home automation controllers, etc.
Through the web interface you can do this under manual setup, option(1). And it's also available with the on screen interface.
post #10753 of 10760 Old 03-26-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtara View Post

Bluray HDMI1 None None
AppleTV HDMI2 None None
TV None OPT1 None
Cable HDMI3 None None
(gap on web page)
CAST HDMI4 None None

----

Source Delete (p. 87 Owner's manual) : Manual Setup --> Option Setup --> Source Delete
post #10754 of 10760 Old 03-26-2017, 01:36 PM

Source Delete

Quote:
Source Delete (p. 87 Owner's manual) : Manual Setup --> Option Setup --> Source Delete
Thanks so much!

However, it is giving me no love.

I used the web interface, and when I change a radio button from Delete to ON, it briefly shows ON, the page refreshes, and then it goes back to Delete.

I will see if this can be configured using remote and on-screen menu, and perhaps I will have more luck.

Edit: I was able to do it. I had to use the remote and on-screen menu.

I'm guessing that the web UI is using some Javascript that is now obsolete in (at least some) browsers. The above behavior was observed with latest Chrome 57. I didn't try other browsers. I was able to do other parts of the setup (e.g. renaming, selecting scaling options, etc.) with the web UI.

Last edited by jtara; 03-26-2017 at 01:48 PM.
post #10755 of 10760 Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear AVR-3311CI owners, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE "NEW" LATEST FIRMWARE, you will end up in the classic Denon upgrade loop.

All my Denon amplifiers are ethernet wired, and I upgrade the firmware a couple of times a year: it has always worked great, but not anymore on the 3311CI.

As you know, you can get out of it with factory reset (arrow up + down + power on).
BTW, this one cannot be reflash via USB.
I have no details as the Denon site no longer list the 3311CI firmeware of it, although they keep sugested some over internet to the receiver.

5 Denon AVR's, all working great!
AVR-2112CI, AVR-1312, AVR-3311CI, AVR-2106, AVR-3300
post #10756 of 10760 Old 05-17-2017, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can I have different subwoofer levels set by input? I'm running a few DB hot for blurays and it sounds great. But when watching cable through the Denon there is a constant, low rumble. If I turn down the sub level in Sat/Cable will it effect the Bluray input?
post #10757 of 10760 Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimala View Post
Can I have different subwoofer levels set by input? I'm running a few DB hot for blurays and it sounds great. But when watching cable through the Denon there is a constant, low rumble. If I turn down the sub level in Sat/Cable will it effect the Bluray input?
No, however, beginning with the 2014 models, a new OPTION - CH LEVEL ADJUST setting was introduced that allows setting independent speaker/sub levels per input.
post #10758 of 10760 Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM

Liked: 0
HDMI inputs not working

Seeking help from formum members... Starting today I lost audio and video on all HDMI inputs at once. I tested them all multiple times with different cables and sources and nothing. However, OSD still works perfectly via HDMI connection to the TV set, including menus and all AVR generated content like internet radio and network media sources. Sound over coax and toslink work OK as well but video from component inputs I tested is not being converted to the HDMI output. In short, it seems that it's lost HDMI input and conversion but output and OSD remain. Any ideas?
post #10759 of 10760 Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinhaes2 View Post
Seeking help from formum members... Starting today I lost audio and video on all HDMI inputs at once. I tested them all multiple times with different cables and sources and nothing. However, OSD still works perfectly via HDMI connection to the TV set, including menus and all AVR generated content like internet radio and network media sources. Sound over coax and toslink work OK as well but video from component inputs I tested is not being converted to the HDMI output. In short, it seems that it's lost HDMI input and conversion but output and OSD remain. Any ideas?
Before I forget, model is Denon 3311ci.
post #10760 of 10760 Old 06-21-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinhaes2 View Post
Possibly a lightning strike took out the HDMI board. Try doing a few microprocessor resets (p. 116 Owner's manual) in a row and if still no joy, time to purchase something more current. The new 2017 networking models being released will all now feature a 32bit DAC and HEOS module with the X3400H featuring the much better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page