The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 89 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2641 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthlmguy View Post

Thanks! Will try this. Although I don't have high hopes since now I've also had the receiver say that headphones were connected twice (without connecting any headphones) leading to no sound at all for a couple of seconds and then back to normal again. It seems I've simply got a receiver where the front connections are not very stable.

I just tried resetting the processor. It didn't help. Within 15 minutes the receiver went into auto setup mode asking me to insert the microphone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthlmguy View Post

... I've also had the receiver say that headphones were connected twice (without connecting any headphones) leading to no sound at all for a couple of seconds and then back to normal again.

A few others posted with this issue. It was resolved by shooting a blast of high pressure air into the headphone jack or simply inserting a headphone cable a few times to clean off the connection. You might also want to try this on the Audyssey mic jack as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #2643 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

1. If "most direct" means STEREO, no worries, but keep in mind that in either "DIRECT" or "PURE DIRECT" Audyssey cannot be enabled.

2. Not on the 3311, although the 4311 has this feature.

If it's losing settings, then there may be an issue with the capacitor. In the end you're probably going to want to return this one.

Ok, I reset the Denon back to factory defaults and re-ran Audyssey, this time using all eight positions as described in the Audyssey thread, and everything is sounding clear and transparent as all get out once again. Dynamic volume & EQ are both off and using the Audyssey "flat" setting. Changed my front three again from large/full band to small/100hz. How the hell a B&W 804S is considered large/full range is beyond me but the room is small and very dampened (so it's a little bass heavy and has some tippy-top end suck out as shown by both the EQing of the Yamaha & Denon - 16kHz gets boosted and around 60hz gets decreased is where the major EQing takes place).

I'm wondering since I use both optical and HDMI out of my HTPC set into one input named "HTPC" maybe setting each to a different input selection might be a better way to go about it with this unit? I would like to just use HDMI and not use optical at all, but the damned stupid HDCP protection wont let me use the HDMI sound out of the PC unless the TV is on and I use the PC with the PC monitor a lot using the AVR for all sound duties. Once the TV is turned on, the HDMI passes all audio just like the optical, it's just my soundcard locks it out unless the TV is on, sigh.

As of typing the above, I tried selecting HDMI out on the PC and the Denon locked up again! Grrr... At least I just pressed the power button on the front and it turned back on and retained settings. Not a very stable unit, sadly.

BTW, what is recommended for the most accurate and natural sound? The Audyssey curve or flat? I suppose if I keep my HTPCs two outputs (optical/HDMI) assigned to two different inputs on the Denon that would allow me to have one setting saved for movies and another for music without having to go into the menu and changing settings? (i.e. perhaps Audyssey curve for movies and flat for music).

Anyone else experiencing lock ups of the 3311 to where the remote wont respond or anything? Bummer....I'd really like the keep the unit. My Yamaha was rock solid and never locked up or glitched out one time!

Oh and about the 4311 being able to disable the amps and not the 3311, seems like all AVRs with preamp outs should be able to disable the internal amp. Doesn't this eat up and waste a lot of power when using these AVRs as preamps? Would seem so to me! Why oh why don't these companies just release a couple of these AVRs without the amp sections as straight up pre/pros? Yea, what's the Denon pre/pro go for? $7500? I don't think so since the pre/pro is the first thing to be outdated.... I think some pre/pros from these companies should be out in the $1000 range. I mean if they can sell them and make money with internal amps, shouldn't they be able to with the amps taken out?
post #2644 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

BTW, what is recommended for the most accurate and natural sound? The Audyssey curve or flat? I suppose if I keep my HTPCs two outputs (optical/HDMI) assigned to two different inputs on the Denon that would allow me to have one setting saved for movies and another for music without having to go into the menu and changing settings? (i.e. perhaps Audyssey curve for movies and flat for music).

Lots of opinions on this, and you should give each option some time then switch, with different source material. Audyssey's recommendation is that the Audyssey cirve gives the best results, especially with movies, in domestic rooms.

Fwiw, I've gone back and forth. I feel pretty certain that for me in my room Audyssey curve is best for movies. Movies are mixed on systems calibrated to the X curve, which has an even greater high end roll off than the Audyssey curve. The rsult of mixing on such systems is that the mix is a bit brighter than it would be if mixed on a "flat" system, so the Audyssey rolloff makes sense to me as a correction for how the X curve translates into non-auditorium sized rooms. But Audyssey says their investigations demonstrate that the Audyssey curve is preferable regardless of the source material.

Anyway for a long time I ran Audyssey flat for music and Audyssey curve for movies. Got new front speakers and ran them in bypass L&R for a while to get used to their sound. Currently I have the Audyssey curve applied to everything, but there's no guarantee I'll stay there . . .
post #2645 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

Lots of opinions on this, and you should give each option some time then switch, with different source material. Audyssey's recommendation is that the Audyssey cirve gives the best results, especially with movies, in domestic rooms.

Fwiw, I've gone back and forth. I feel pretty certain that for me in my room Audyssey curve is best for movies. Movies are mixed on systems calibrated to the X curve, which has an even greater high end roll off than the Audyssey curve. The rsult of mixing on such systems is that the mix is a bit brighter than it would be if mixed on a "flat" system, so the Audyssey rolloff makes sense to me as a correction for how the X curve translates into non-auditorium sized rooms. But Audyssey says their investigations demonstrate that the Audyssey curve is preferable regardless of the source material.

Anyway for a long time I ran Audyssey flat for music and Audyssey curve for movies. Got new front speakers and ran them in bypass L&R for a while to get used to their sound. Currently I have the Audyssey curve applied to everything, but there's no guarantee I'll stay there . . .

I was thinking the same thing, using Audyssey curve for movies and then flat for music.... I'll try it, but if this thing locks up one more time, it's going back for a refund. There's no brand new ones in stock around me to even exchange for another one. If I don't take it back today, then I'm going to be stuck with it until next weekend, and then maybe a nearby Best Buy will have a brand new unopened one I can exchange for. The Yamaha A2000 is also still on my radar....
post #2646 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

I was thinking the same thing, using Audyssey curve for movies and then flat for music.... I'll try it, but if this thing locks up one more time, it's going back for a refund. There's no brand new ones in stock around me to even exchange for another one. If I don't take it back today, then I'm going to be stuck with it until next weekend, and then maybe a nearby Best Buy will have a brand new unopened one I can exchange for. The Yamaha A2000 is also still on my radar....

Did you look into online dealers like EE? Many online dealers' price is decent and somehow easier to deal with the limitation of dealers issue
post #2647 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 10:59 AM

okay, saw this article stating that AirPlay would be available for free starting last Friday: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/De...eceivers.shtml but cannot find anything about it anywhere as far as actually being available. I have never downloaded an app before so may not be looking in the right places (searched all over itunes for it) so my ignorance can definitely be a factor here... thoughts (on the AirPlay, not my ignorance!!!!)
post #2648 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 11:07 AM
585-645-1006

Denon is apparently late in uploading the upgrade which should be available via the network connection. Ensure "Upgrade Notification" is set to ON.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #2649 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
trying to choose between the 3311 and the 4311 if im using an external amp is it worth getting the more expensive 4311?
post #2650 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Denon is apparently late in uploading the upgrade which should be available via the network connection. Ensure "Upgrade Notification" is set to ON.

thank you much, i will make sure of that and then it will notify me when available (assuming this will not get me airplay instantly)?
post #2651 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyk4 View Post

trying to choose between the 3311 and the 4311 if im using an external amp is it worth getting the more expensive 4311?

Depends on what your requirements are ... at the very least the 4311 offers the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT 32. If you don't need the additional features offered on the 4311, the 3311 would still serve you very well at roughly 1/2 the cost of the 4311.

post #2652 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by la10slgr View Post

thank you much, i will make sure of that and then it will notify me when available (assuming this will not get me airplay instantly)?

Not instantly, rather you would still have to go through the motion of downloading it. Refer to p. 89 in your Owner's manual for details on "Add New Feature". Once the upgrade becomes chargeable, you would likely have to register and pay the $45 on line first before the upgrade could be downloaded.

post #2653 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 02:27 PM

So I got this system hooked up sounds good, HD radio, Pandora yada yada. Makes me want to hook up an analog turntable. Would it really be analog through those receiver (3311)? Anybody have this hooked up?
post #2654 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

There's no built in Wi-Fi capability if that's what you're asking. There are ways to connect it to a wireless router (eg. Apple TV, Airport Express, etc.).

another option is this bridge from Buffalo Tech

This is what I am currently using. It takes a wireless signal from your router, and has 4 ports on the back so you can hardwire up to 4 devices. I have my wireless router in my office sending a signal through my house. I have this Buffalo Tech device in my AV cabinet, and I have hardwired my TV, DVD player and my 3311ci and they all have flawless internet access. The price is pretty much the same as an Airport Express, $80-$100 or so, but it allows you to hook up 4 devices at once.

Oh and the best part, it is all black with no lights on the front, blends in very well to an AV unit. D-Link makes a similar product, but it is white with 4 blue lights on the front, can be a bit distracting and doesnt match my all black AV gear.
post #2655 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Did you ever reset the microprocessor? Did you try another HDMI cable from another source (not just what you have on hand)? Did you try ALL of the HDMI jacks, not just a few? Did you try connecting a friend's PS3 to see if you get the same results or did you try connecing your PS3 to a friend's setup to rule out the PS3? If yes to all, then time to give Denon a call.

On both Denon's (including the one I returned): I did reset the microprocessor, tried several hdmi cables, tried several of the hdmi jacks including dvd, game, etc. I did not try another PS3 as I don't have access to one...also, like I wrote, the PS3 worked flawlessly on the Denon AVR 2809ci using hdmi connection for 6 months. I noticed that another person in the last month on this thread had the same issue...this only happens intermittently with the PS3 dashboard screen. ???
post #2656 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger10 View Post

...Makes me want to hook up an analog turntable. Would it really be analog through those receiver (3311)? Anybody have this hooked up?

I don't think there is any way to keep the signal analog throughtout on this unit. AFAIK the phono input takes the analog signal, applies ADC then, optionally, Audyssey/bass management etc., then DAC, but would probably sound pretty nice nonetheless. I do this with an analog signal from my Oppo universal Blu-Ray player's dedicated analog stereo outs when playing CD's, as it has very nice DAC's.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #2657 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 04:13 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger10 View Post

Would it really be analog through those receiver (3311)?

It would in either DIRECT or PURE DIRECT modes.

post #2658 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
jd, I'm not clear on this. I thought the analog inputs, when set to Direct/PDirect, get "minimal" processing, but the signal undergoes ADC. This model has no EXT IN inputs, which is the only route (I thought) which can bypass ADC and keep signals analog thru to the poweramps, for ex., in my 2809. Also, AFAIK the phono cartridge's very low voltage also needs extra boost and special EQ (the RIAA curve) so wouldn't it have to have digital preamping in the AVR?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #2659 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM

It would be nice if Denon had a more technical manual or web site that told exactly what happens on each input. How is it treated inside the magic black box. Does the ADC touch it? Is it passed thru untouched? If it is touched...what is applied to it...RIAA, other? What input is best for which application etc. Have it put in a spreadsheet format as batpig has done. This should be part of the info provided. As you can see from this 85 page thread that there is much consternation and discussion around these issues. Would answer a lot of questions and issues.

But then, we start running into commonsense and that is quite elusive in some suppliers mindset.
post #2660 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 05:40 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

jd, I'm not clear on this. I thought the analog inputs, when set to Direct/PDirect, get "minimal" processing, but the signal undergoes ADC. This model has no EXT IN inputs, which is the only route (I thought) which can bypass ADC and keep signals analog thru to the poweramps, for ex., in my 2809. Also, AFAIK the phono cartridge's very low voltage also needs extra boost and special EQ (the RIAA curve) so wouldn't it have to have digital preamping in the AVR?

AFAIK, the voltage boost and RIAA equalization are done in the phono pre-amp stage prior to the ADC.

post #2661 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricko View Post

It would be nice if Denon had a more technical manual or web site that told exactly what happens on each input. How is it treated inside the magic black box. Does the ADC touch it? Is it passed thru untouched? If it is touched...what is applied to it...RIAA, other? What input is best for which application etc. Have it put in a spreadsheet format as batpig has done. This should be part of the info provided. As you can see from this 85 page thread that there is much consternation and discussion around these issues. Would answer a lot of questions and issues.

That manual is called the service manual and has all the signal routing (but not internals of the DSP, obviously). It is also not free.
post #2662 of 10496 Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 PM

I am still having problem with my projector and ps3.

When my PS3 play films or cinemtic from the games, it plays, but the game itself doesn't

It works when I use the monitor 1, which is my plasma tv but when I try to use the monitor 2 which is my panasonic Px200U projector, then I have this problem

the denon 3311ci got the latest firmware, same for the ps3. the projector can't be updated

anybody found a solution on this kind of problem ?
post #2663 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 AM

Hello All!

I am in need of some assistance here.

I have the following setup that I intend to have with my Denon 3311CI Receiver:

1. A theatre room containing the following input devices:

1a) PS3 (HDMI)
1b) DVD Player (HDMI or possibly just component)
1c) WII
1d) Computer (DVI to HDMI)

These will ALL output to the projector in theater room.

I want to add the ability to send the projector output also to the bar room (next door).

Can the Denon unit output video to both simultaneously the same video thru both outs? Or is it possible to also have independent control for what inputs are used for both outputs on the AVR?

Sorry if its a noobish question - I'm just starting to get my head around the Video component for this device!
post #2664 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 05:08 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzjagz View Post

Can the Denon unit output video to both simultaneously the same video thru both outs? Or is it possible to also have independent control for what inputs are used for both outputs on the AVR?

No. You can select only (1) input and (1) monitor output at a time.

post #2665 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Just as a FYI I spoke in online chat with a guy from EE regarding shipping. When I asked about double boxing shipments to prevent damages he indicated to me "yea the first few went out without being doubled boxed and they are all shipped double boxed now". So thats good news that they double box everything.
post #2666 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post

Just a quick clarification. The AKM AK4358VQ is a monolithic 8 channel DAC. The AVRs listed above may use either one or two DACs total -- not per channel.

AJ

How does this DAC compare with the BURRBrowns and Wolfsons used in other AVRs?

post #2667 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vschaos View Post

Just as a FYI I spoke in online chat with a guy from EE regarding shipping. When I asked about double boxing shipments to prevent damages he indicated to me "yea the first few went out without being doubled boxed and they are all shipped double boxed now". So thats good news that they double box everything.

I bought mine from EE about a month and a half ago, a long time after the first few given its release months before that.

Mine was not double boxed and I've seen others here recently say theirs was not double boxed on reciept.

The salesman even told me it would be double boxed, but it wasn't.

Given that, I didn't see it as a problem, its fairly well packed in its own container. So aside from my initial shock of being fed a line, I was please with the condition it came in.
post #2668 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 AM

Seems like the receiver runs a little warm in an eclosed cabinet. I want to add fans. Does anyone have any recommendation on how I could do this? Can I hook a fan up to the 12v trigger?
post #2669 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post

another option is this bridge from Buffalo Tech

Until I got around to running some Ethernet cables this was my solution as well. I had an older model of the above, and it was BY FAR the best wireless device I have ever owned. Buffalo Tech makes really nice stuff.

post #2670 of 10496 Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 AM

For the 3311, can PLIIz and Audyssey be applied to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA? Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - 3311ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page