The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10556 Old 06-17-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, my 3311 should be delivered from OneCall in a couple of days and I decided we needed an owner's thread. Info on the 3311 below:

AVR-3311CI

$1,199.00

Network Ready For Web Audio, Photo and Multi-Media PC Connectivity
Via the RJ-45 wired LAN connection to your broadband home network, the AVR-3311CI opens up a whole world of content choices, including subscription music services Rhapsody and Napster, internet radio via Pandora, photo viewing via flickr, and access to photos, and music tracks on your DLNA-compatible multi-media home PC. That LAN connection also allows for web control, and there’s also an RS-232C serial port for custom integration with 3rd party whole home control systems.
Equipped With The Latest Surround Sound Decoders
The AVR-3311CI features high resolution audio decoders, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. It also comes equipped with Audyssey’s new DSX surround processor, which derives front height or front width channels for a dramatically expanded front soundstage. The Power Amp Assign function lets you specify the precise amplifier and speaker configuration that’s right for your home theater setup.

Easy Setup With Automatic Room Acoustic Correction
Audyssey MultEQ XT room acoustic correction system features a microphone (included) to automatically measure the speaker configuration and provide acoustic tailoring for the best surround sound experience, and provides quick and easy setup. Dynamic Volume minimizes jarring volume jumps during commercial breaks, and Dynamic EQ provides a natural tonal balance even at very low volume levels.

HDMI 1.4a Includes 3D Blu-ray Compatibility
Featuring 6 HDMI inputs, the AVR-311CI is also equipped with Denon’s high resolution video processor, which accepts standard definition video sources and upconverts them to HDMI. The latest HDMI 1.4a standard is supported, which provides 3D pass-through (Broadcast and Blu-ray), and also supports Audio Return Channel. The HDMI upconversion allows for a single HDMI cable run to the TV, avoiding the expense and hassle of multiple cable runs. One of the six HDMI inputs is conveniently located behind the front panel flip-down door, and there are two HDMI outputs, allowing the use of a home theater front projector as well as a flat panel HDTV.

HD Radio
In addition to conventional AM and FM tuning, the AVR-3311CI also features HD Radio. With HD Radio AM sounds like FM, and FM HD radio sounds like CD.

Quality Discrete Power Amplifier Section
The equal power amp design features 7 discrete power amp circuits, and each channel is rated at 125 watts (8 ohms, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, .08% THD). For configuration flexibility, Denon’s Power Amp Assign function lets you use 2 of the amp channels for surround back speakers, or front height effects speakers, or they can be assigned for second and third zone multi-room speakers.

3 year warranty

AVR-991

$999.00

HDMI 1.4a Includes 3D Blu-ray Compatibility
The latest HDMI 1.4a standard is supported, which provides 3D pass-through (Broadcast and Blu-ray), and also supports Audio Return Channel. Featuring 6 HDMI inputs (5 on the rear panel, and another conveniently located on the front panel for HD camcorder or HD game console connection), the AVR-991 is also equipped with Denon’s high resolution video processor, which accepts standard definition video sources and upconverts them to HDMI. The HDMI upconversion allows for a single HDMI cable run to the TV, avoiding the expense and hassle of multiple cable runs.
Network Ready For Web Video, Audio, Photo and Multi-Media PC Connectivity
Equipped with an RJ-45 Ethernet jack for connection to your broadband home network, the AVR-991 opens up a whole word of content choices, including subscription music services Rhapsody and Napster, internet radio via Pandora, photo viewing via flickr, and access to photos, music tracks and videos on your DLNA-compatible multi-media home PC.

Equipped With The Latest Surround Sound Decoders
The AVR-991 features high resolution audio decoders, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. It also among the first to feature Audyssey’s new DSX surround processor, which derives front height or front width channels for a dramatically expanded front soundstage. The Power Amp Assign function lets you specify the precise amplifier and speaker configuration that’s right for your home theater setup.

Easy Setup With Automatic Room Acoustic Correction
Audyssey MultEQ XT room acoustic correction system features a microphone (included) to automatically measure the speaker configuration at up to 8 measurement points, and provides acoustic tailoring for the best surround sound experience, as well as providing quick and easy setup. Audyssey Dynamic Volume minimizes jarring volume jumps during commercial breaks, and Dynamic EQ provides a natural tonal balance even at very low volume levels.

Quality Discrete Power Amplifier Section
The equal power amp design features 7 discrete power amp circuits, and each channel is rated at a powerful 165 watts (6 ohms, 1 kHz, .7% THD). Denon’s versatile Power Amp Assign function lets you use 2 of the 7 amp channels for surround back speakers, or front height effects speakers, or they can be assigned for second zone multi-room speakers.

2 year warranty

Review of the 991 by Sound and Vision:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/den...91-av-receiver

3311CI/991 Firmware Information supplied by jdsmoothie (thanks!)

Firmware updates often involve only minor tweaks which may not necessarily be noticed by owners. I asked Jeff Talmadge (aka DenonJeff) to comment on the updates and this was his response which would likely be the major items in the updates ....

1. Adding Pandora on early production units
2. Allow for better firmware updating
3. Correcting jitter control when a 1080p/12 bit signal is input
4. When connected to a Control4 (home automation) installation, reconnect after power failure
5. Main: 00.97 (Oct 30, 2010)
- To add the "Denon Remote App" function for iPhone/iPod.
- To add the horizontal scroll bar on browse picture at NET/USB function.
- To add the "PartyMode Plus" function ("Zone Management" function and control the PartyMode by Attendee.)
- No sound output with SONY TV (LX900 Series) at HDMI control on.
- Noise might be indicated on picture with HDMI connection.
- When customer connects SONY BD player (BDP-S470) to AVR, customer playback the 3D Disc, customer makes "STAND-BY" mode on AVR. HDMI though pass function is not worked properly.
- To add the IR code for selection of HDMI monitor
6. Main: 00.98 (Nov 17, 2010)
- The setting of "iPod screen display time" do not works.
- When USB memory is inserted while unit is not connecting to LAN, Browse might be not displayed.
- To add the "Pop-up" function.
7. Main 00.98 Sub 00.27 (2/8/2011)
- Correct network connectivity issue
8. Main - 1.09, Sub - 00.29 (April 7, 2011)
- Video noise countermeasure at up convert. Blue dot Noise over the picture.
- Pop sound noise countermeasure when playing it with personal computer.
- The file of NAS is not recognized.
- POWER ON operation countermeasure after mode of initialization.
- The behavior of DPMS Update has been improved.
- After the error message is displayed when it is an error, it is retried by the automatic operation.
- The remaining time display might not change during the DPMS updating.
9. Main - 1.09, Sub - 00.29 (July/Aug, 2011)
- There will be two updates over this period .. the first will be very short and will simply disable the connection to the Rhapsody servers until Denon can create a 2nd update that will properly connect to the newly modified Rhapsody servers.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10556 Old 06-17-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Differences between old 3310 and new 3311 (courtesy of our main man, Batpig):

3311 vs 3310:

what is new?
- HDMI 1.4a with support for 3D and ARC
- dual HDMI outputs
- Audyssey DSX built in (instead of having to pay for an upgrade)
- Audyssey MultEQ XT (instead of regular MultEQ) and Audyssey Pro capable
- Front USB port now supports direct iPod/iPhone connection
- New network features like Pandora, Flickr, Rhapsody, slightly better DLNA support
- i/p control interface for remote tech support
- Dual subwoofer outputs (mirror image, not independently filtered)
- New, improved one-sided remote
- The 3311CI has 5 more watts per channel.

what is gone?
- No more switched outlets on the rear
- Fewer legacy inputs:
... One fewer S/PDIF input (2 optical / 2 coax on new model instead of 2/3)
... One fewer Component Video input (2 instead of 3)
... Fewer s-video and composite video legacy inputs, one fewer analog audio input
... No more EXT IN multichannel analog inputs

what is the difference between the 911 and the 3311ci?

The AVR 991 and 3311CI are "twin" models, sharing the same internal components, amps, power supply, etc. They are basically IDENTICAL except for the following differences which differentiate the "custom installer friendly" four-digit CI model:

- the 991 has 6 rear HDMI inputs and only one output, whereas the 3311 has 5 rear HDMI inputs, 1 front input, and TWO outputs
- the 3311 has a different front panel with a flip-down panel concealing additional buttons
- the 3311 has 3-zone / 3-source support (instead of 2 on the 991) with expanded multizone flexibility
- the 3311 comes with a second, smaller remote for Zone 2/3 (IR only)
- the 991 does NOT have pre-outs for adding an external amplifier!
- the 991 doesn't have HD radio
- the 991 doesn't have the "CI" features of RS-232 serial control port, room-to-room remote jacks, or 12V trigger outs
- 2 year warranty on 991, 3 year warranty on 3311CI

In all other respects the 991 and 3311 are IDENTICAL. Do not be fooled by the marketing specs, they have the SAME amplifier section!

4311 vs. 3311

The 4311 costs 2x the 3311. What benefits to I get for that difference in cost?

1. Upgrade to latest Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 which includes support for dual sub calibration using SubEQ HT
2. 11 lbs heavier/9.2 (7.2 - 3311)
3. HDCD decoder
4. 2 processors (1 - 3311)
5. 8-CH Ext Analog inputs
6. 3 Component inputs (2 - 3311)
7. Denon Link 4th
8. 7 HDMI 1.4a inputs (6 - 3311)
9. HDMI SACD support
10. Pre-amp outs - 11.2 (7.2 - 3311)
11. Pre-amp mode
12. AL24+ all channels (FL/FR only - 3311)
13. Programmable remote
14. Dual HDMI Monitor Outs both active (1 - 3311)
15. HDMI 1.4a ARC on both monitor outs (1- 3311)
16. No HD audio freq limitation using Audyssey (96khz - 3311)

post #3 of 10556 Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for getting the 3311 ball rolling Petrus
I also have a unit coming in a few days from Onecall

I have a feeling this is going to be the "one Denon to rule them all"
Looking at it's features, which compare favorably to even the 4310 with a few added bonuses, such as dual subwoofer outputs, HDMI 1.4a (3D), updated ABT 2015 video processing and better remotes, etc...
At a price that is sure to please those looking for flagship features at mid-level prices.
Let's just hope Denon has fixed the dreaded Network issues

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #4 of 10556 Old 06-17-2010, 07:54 PM

Liked: 10
Indeed the only real differences between the 4310 and 3311 seem to be HDCD processing, DSD Support and legacy inputs. I cant wait to see a review of this unit to see what the real difference is in amp power, as on paper they are practically the same, excepting that the 4310 has a larger power supply.

The 3311 does not have true dual subwoofer support BTW, As in you cannot separately calibrate each channel with Audessey. The extra output is an exact copy of the first, as stated in the user manual and in the block diagram.
post #5 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 AM

Also the 3311 includes better networking options such as Pandora that I am excited about and also enables IP remote control so that tech support can control it if they are troubleshooting.

Another great advantage is the USB ipod cable and it supports iPOD playback whereas the older DENON receivers would be using the ipod to process the music, now the receiver will process it.

I am expecting the 3311 Thursday as I ordered it from Onecall as well.

The Audyssey is an improvement over the 3310 allowing you to configure the setup for up to 8 listening positions (the XT) which is as good as the 4310.
post #6 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it has almost everything I need and want at this point. Only two things that a perfect world would bring me are Dolby Volume (supposedly on the 4311) and THX cert. Don't know why the Denon's don't do THX Select2 certification.

post #7 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM

I think I'm going to order one of these today. Is there any specific thing that caused you to go with this model over the Denon 2311? There are a lot of upgrades that justify the $300 difference but I think the one thing that's pushing me to the 3311 is the Audyssey DSX. There's a lot of features that are close seconds however...
post #8 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgull View Post

I think I'm going to order one of these today. Is there any specific thing that caused you to go with this model over the Denon 2311? There are a lot of upgrades that justify the $300 difference but I think the one thing that's pushing me to the 3311 is the Audyssey DSX. There's a lot of features that are close seconds however...

Mainly the Ethernet capability and MultEQ XT for me. The slightly larger amp didn't hurt my decision either.

post #9 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking closely at this unit as well. Need to replace my aging Denon AVR-5803. It's been a real workhorse, but I need an HDMI capable unit. Also need the pre-outs as all of my speakers are powered JBL pro studio monitors. Looking forward to exploring all the networking possibilities and experimenting with the Audyssey system, which will be new territory for me. Looking forward to hearing everyone's impressions so don't be shy!

BTW, I know this is a brand new model, but are there any authorized etailers discounting this unit right now or is everyone charging full MSRP?
post #10 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post

I'm looking closely at this unit as well. Need to replace my aging Denon AVR-5803. It's been a real workhorse, but I need an HDMI capable unit. Also need the pre-outs as all of my speakers are powered JBL pro studio monitors. Looking forward to exploring all the networking possibilities and experimenting with the Audyssey system, which will be new territory for me. Looking forward to hearing everyone's impressions so don't be shy!

BTW, I know this is a brand new model, but are there any authorized etailers discounting this unit right now or is everyone charging full MSRP?

You should be able to get at least a 10% discount from an authorized etailer...

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #11 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post

Indeed the only real differences between the 4310 and 3311 seem to be HDCD processing, DSD Support and legacy inputs. I cant wait to see a review of this unit to see what the real difference is in amp power, as on paper they are practically the same, excepting that the 4310 has a larger power supply.

The 3311 does not have true dual subwoofer support BTW, As in you cannot separately calibrate each channel with Audessey. The extra output is an exact copy of the first, as stated in the user manual and in the block diagram.

Even the 4810 doesn't have "true dual subwoofer support".
As far as HDCD and DSD support.... probably a non-factor in the real world.
And hopefully the 3310's internal amps will be on par with the 4310's which have measured very well in the few reviews I've read.

DreamCatcher

StayThristyMyFriends
post #12 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post

The 4311 will have the ability to turn OFF the power supply for the amps... more like a Pre/Pro.
post #13 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point, but the 4311 isn't available yet. It's not even listed on Denon's website. And It'll probably cost about $500 more than the 3311. I would prefer a pre/pro, but I doubt I'll find one with all the features of the 3311 at or near the same price.
post #14 of 10556 Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

Yeah, it has almost everything I need and want at this point. Only two things that a perfect world would bring me are Dolby Volume (supposedly on the 4311) and THX cert. Don't know why the Denon's don't do THX Select2 certification.

I had originally seen Onkyo receivers on sale cheaper than Denon that had the THX certification and thought it was an advantage. As I did further research most people thought that the Denon receivers without the THX were still superior to the Onkyo in terms of sound quality. While THX would be nice to have it would also raise the costs of the device as the THX certified Denon receivers are much more expensive. It does cost the manufacturer a lot of money to get this certification apparently and those costs are passed onto the consumer when in fact the receiver could be just as good if not better, they just haven't gone through the certification.

Regarding Dolby Volume isn't that the same thing as Audyssey Dynamic Volume that supposed to get rid of loud commercials and keep volume consistent through movies etc? Are there any advantages of Dolby Volume over Audyssey? I would think that Audyssey would be an advantage since it is more than just a sound leveler in that it works with the Multi EQ to ensure sound quality is not compromised.
post #15 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My AVR just started acting up (randomly turns itself off) so I'm afraid its days are numbered. I was really hoping to hold out for HDMI 1.4, so I thought the timing was pretty lousy. To my happy surprise, I found this new one on Denon's site (that wasn't there last time I looked only a few weeks ago). But I guess it's so new, there isn't any professional reviews. I see it "in stock" at a few e-tailers, and I was hoping to find one at a local dealer... but I am amazed at the specs and the retail price is below what I would expect (although still pretty daunting). The Denon site won’t even let you compare it to other models yet (guess the data isn’t in their DB yet).

Anyone that has it in hand, I'd love to see a mini-review. I hate being rushed into a decision, but at least this model is looking VERY promising.

post #16 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 01:27 PM

What's new as for network feature compared to 3310ci? I'm thinking if HDMI 1.4a is not so important and network feature is same, i may go with 3310ci for cheaper price.

Thanks for your input.

Lou
post #17 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dools767 View Post

Regarding Dolby Volume isn't that the same thing as Audyssey Dynamic Volume that supposed to get rid of loud commercials and keep volume consistent through movies etc? Are there any advantages of Dolby Volume over Audyssey? I would think that Audyssey would be an advantage since it is more than just a sound leveler in that it works with the Multi EQ to ensure sound quality is not compromised.

From reports I've read, Dolby Volume is a bit better. That is the speculation why they added it to the 4311. Not much, but just a tad. Obviously, not a deal breaker for me.

post #18 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatrix View Post

What's new as for network feature compared to 3310ci? I'm thinking if HDMI 1.4a is not so important and network feature is same, i may go with 3310ci for cheaper price.

Thanks for your input.

Lou

New network features are Pandora and Flickr as well as IP control allowing DENON to do troubleshooting and control your receiver. I am assuming that it will address some of the network issues that 3310 owners had as well.
post #19 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Anyone that has it in hand, I'd love to see a mini-review.

Alright, after a day of setup and playing, here are my initial impressions.

I received the 3311 from OneCall yesterday. It was double boxed, but the remotes were loose within the Denon box. Everything else was securely taped down.

First some context. This is my first Denon AVR. It's replacing an 11 year old Sony STR-DB930 after the rear channels failed. My primary purpose is to replace a now ancient receiver, while getting all the latest audio formats, add network capabilities and do as much future proofing as possible. Obviously I don't swap out my AVR gear frequently.

The main components in my setup are:
Samsung 1080p TV LN-T5271F
LG BD-390 Blu Ray player
Motorola DCH3416 DVR (Comcast)
AppleTV
Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers
Harmony One

So far, I've been very pleased with the 3311, with a few qualifications.

After hearing of the network card issues on the 3310, it was a relief that networking worked right out of the box, with absolutely no setup at all. I setup a few internet radio favorites, played a few of my Pandora stations, and played a few mp3 tracks from my media server (Mac). It all worked perfectly.

I thought I read in previous manuals that there was a Denon website where I had to create/manage my internet radio favorites, so it's a positive that I can favorite them directly from the 3311.

One thing I didn't like about the network interface is that going out (left) of a track and then back into same audio file restarts the track. Also, my mp3 cover art (embedded in all files) did not always display correctly. It showed the correct artwork at first, then went back to the last track's art. I don't know if it's a DLNA or 3311 issue. Another bit I don't care for is the gray background of the internet radio UI...it looks like I have poor black levels. I think I'd prefer the background to be black rather than gray.

At some point while exiting from a network function, I was notified of a firmware update, so I did it. The notification said it would take 13 min, but it took longer. It did a ROM, SUB and Ethernet update, and the first 2 took about 10 minutes, but the Ethernet update said 1 min remaining for 10 minutes or more, which was concerning. It did finish successfully, it just took longer than the status indicator on the unit said. I didn't notice any differences after the update, so I don't know what it contained.

I do like having all the additional sources I didn't have before, such as Internet radio, HD Radio, satellite radio, iPod/iPhone, DLNA media server. The one disappointment to me here is that it doesn't play video in any format from my media server, so I'll have to stick with the BD390 and AppleTV for that.

My 10MP .jpg photos are also displayed in very, very low resolution, so I haven't figured out if that's a result of a 3311 setting or my DLNA server (MediaLink). Displaying Flickr photos were fine. The BD390, using CIFS, displays the same pics perfectly. I'm not really sold on running DLNA servers rather than providing native CIFS/SMB support, like the LG does.

My iPhone 3Gs plays directly from the USB port on the front. No dock required, which I understand is an upgrade from the 3310. Optimally, I'd prefer a USB port on the rear so the door doesn't need to be open. There is a Denon iPod dock port in back, so it's an option, but at added cost.

I haven't done the Audyssey setup, so I can't speak to that, yet.

Both video and audio are very good to my eyes and ears. I have the BD390, Moto DVR going through the 3311. Netflix HD streaming (Sin Nombre) via the BD390 looked better through the 3311's up-conversion than directly from the BD390. I also like that it does DD PLII Cinema audio for surround until Netflix delivers 5.1 audio.

I played Avatar Blu Ray and both audio and video were excellent. I'm glad to finally have the HD audio formats decoded. I also played the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Both audio and video were very solid in my book.

One odd thing about the audio, though, is the volume seems to require a much higher level than my old Sony. The volume dial also requires a lot of turning to change the volume. I've gone back and forth on using relative or absolute volume, but they both require substantially higher volumes for normal film viewing. I'd say 60-70 (out of 99) on the absolute scale and 0 on the relative scale just for normal viewing. I know you can add volume for each source or speaker in the setup, but that doesn't seem like the right approach. Am I missing something?

I do wish Denon hadn't removed the switched AC input this year (the 3310 had one). I also miss the blue indicator for 5+.1 formats on the Sony, especially for cable TV when it's not always known. My receiver is not in direct line of sight, but in a cabinet at a 90 degree angle to where I sit. Seeing the blue light on the Sony told me all was well.

The remote itself isn't anything great (lots of buttons), and the response angle and range of the 3311 are not nearly as good as my old Sony. The manual says it's 30 degrees off center and that seems rigidly accurate. I've had a Harmony One that worked very well to adjust volume, at 90 degrees, on the Sony with my cabinet open, but it appears the RF of the Harmony 900 will be necessary. I've avoided it thus far because I've read about how sluggish the 900's response is. I guess I'll have to see for myself.

On the 3311's GUI...it's ok. I think Sony has a better, more graphic PS3-like GUI. Denon's is functional, if spartan, but it's much better than nothing on my old Sony. It's absolutely a big step up, but probably not as good as the Sony GUI.

Also, the GUI on some sources is semi-transparent, allowing the video behind it to show through. When playing Avatar Blu Ray, though, the menu completely replaces the video (opaque). The same thing on the Internet Radio UI. I'm not sure if there's a setting I'm missing or if this is as developed. The manual says that the menu replaces the video when playing a 3D source, so I don't understand why these sources produce an opaque menu. I have high speed HDMI cables (1.3 C2), so I suppose it could interpret that as 3D? It also doesn't show volume changes over HDMI on some sources, for example when I play a disc via Blu Ray. The GUI overlay on the Moto DVR is semi-transparent so I can see the video behind it, but on the BD and Net/USB input, it's opaque. Again, it could be a setting I'm missing.

The web interface is promising, but not really a reason to buy the 3311. I wasn't able to get it to save my configuration off to a file, but it might be due to using Safari rather than IE or Firefox. It would be handy to have a config backup in case a reset were ever necessary. The control interface from iPhone is also ok, but too textual. I've seen a few apps that seem to control Denon AVRs in a more graphical UI, but the reviews were mixed. Any recommendations?

Well, that's about all I have for now. I'd be happy to hear from experienced Denon users with insight into settings that I might be missing. Are there specific things people would like me to check/test on the 3311?

Regards,
Doug
post #20 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:

Dolby Volume could be compared to using both Dyn EQ and Dyn Vol so it's much more than just an audio leveler. Some would say that Dolby Volume has a slight edge over Audyssey.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #21 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby View Post

One odd thing about the audio, though, is the volume seems to require a much higher level than my old Sony. The volume dial also requires a lot of turning to change the volume. I've gone back and forth on using relative or absolute volume, but they both require substantially higher volumes for normal film viewing. I'd say 60-70 (out of 99) on the absolute scale and 0 on the relative scale just for normal viewing. I know you can add volume for each source or speaker in the setup, but that doesn't seem like the right approach. Am I missing something?

These volume levels are very normal for modern day AVRs. However, you really need to run AUTO SETUP so the Denon can properly calibrate and set up the proper volume levels of each of your speakers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #22 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM

Doug,

Thanks for that review. That is exactly what I was wanting. It also seems your reason for upgrading, and your criteria is similar to me. For some odd reason my Yamaha RX-V2300 is working fine today... so I may be out of hot water, but now I've got the bug to upgrade, so I may be getting one of these soon anyway. Plus working fine for one day doesn't make me trust it.

My local store has 3 in stock.... hmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby View Post

I've had a Harmony One that worked very well to adjust volume, at 90 degrees, on the Sony with my cabinet open, but it appears the IR of the Harmony 900 will be necessary. I've avoided it thus far because I've read about how sluggish the 900's response is. I guess I'll have to see for myself.

I have the Harmony 890 and it's great to just have the RF to IR thingy hanging on my wall so there are no line-of-site issues. However, it is sluggish to say the least. But it's the only way my family would be able to operate my complex setup (that a new reciever would significantly simplify) and it is great that the kids don’t even have to aim it.

Now I have some genera question not necessarily for Doug (djmaltby):

This will be my first Denon as well. So some of my questions may be more Denon related than 3311-specific so bear with me.

Do you have any component (RGB) video devices? If so, how smooth is the process of upconverting them and outputting via HDMI?

Does it upconvert HD, or just SD? In other words, would a 720p analog signal upconvert to 1080p? What about digital upscaling? Would a 720p game on my PS3 come out as 1080p on the TV?

Audyssey DSX, and Audyssey MultEQ XT seem to be some big new features. If I only have 4.1 speakers does DSX do anything for me, or do I need more channels to take advantage? Is the only advantage of MultEQ XT over MultEQ more listening positions? Also, how does that really help/work? It seems to me if you optimize for location A, then again for B, the changes made for B would compromise perfect listing in A. If that is the case, I'm the only audiophile in the family, so it seems like I'd ONLY want to optimize for where I normally sit. If I'm way off on what Audyssey does, please explain if you dont mind.

Finally, what about discreet codes for the Harmony? Last time I bought a brand new product I had trouble getting discreet codes from the Harmony site. I guess someone else has to upload them first. Assuming Harmony doesn't have codes yet, do the 3010 codes work? If no, I guess in this case the discreet on/off and input select codes are on the included remote (unlike my Samsung TV) so I can teach the Harmony manually. Not a big deal.

post #23 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Does it upconvert HD, or just SD? In other words, would a 720p analog signal upconvert to 1080p? What about digital upscaling? Would a 720p game on my PS3 come out as 1080p on the TV?

"Upconverting" refers to an analog signal being converted to a digital signal, while "upscaling" refers to taking a lower resolution signal and changing it to a higher resolution. The 3311 will both upconvert and upscale to 1080p.

Quote:

Audyssey DSX, and Audyssey MultEQ XT seem to be some big new features. If I only have 4.1 speakers does DSX do anything for me, or do I need more channels to take advantage?

DSX offers the additional front height and wide channels, so unless you add more speakers, not really a benefit for you at this time.

Quote:

Is the only advantage of MultEQ XT over MultEQ more listening positions? Also, how does that really help/work? It seems to me if you optimize for location A, then again for B, the changes made for B would compromise perfect listing in A. If that is the case, I'm the only audiophile in the family, so it seems like I'd ONLY want to optimize for where I normally sit. If I'm way off on what Audyssey does, please explain if you dont mind.

MultEQ XT not only increases the positions from 6 to 8 but also offers more advanced filters. When taking the readings, the first position is done at the primary listening position, while the remaining positions are done within a 2' radius of the first position (rather than where everyone else actually sits).

Quote:

Finally, what about discreet codes for the Harmony? Last time I bought a brand new product I had trouble getting discreet codes from the Harmony site. I guess someone else has to upload them first. Assuming Harmony doesn't have codes yet, do the 3010 codes work? If no, I guess in this case the discreet on/off and input select codes are on the included remote (unlike my Samsung TV) so I can teach the Harmony manually. Not a big deal.

The codes for the Denon AVRs are all the same, with the higher end AVRs offering additional codes for the additional features. The current set of codes can be downloaded from a number of different users accounts, including "batpigworld" although this won't include any 3311 specific codes, but will include some additional discrete codes not offered by the 3311 remote.

post #24 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 11:06 PM
585-645-1006

Regardless of the brand of AVR, HDMI "handshake" issues often exist (video/audio problems) when connecting a cable/sat box to an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR). There are a few solutions that can be used to resolve this issue:

(1) Make sure the firmware on the cable/sat box is up to date

(2) Try the other HDMI jacks on the AVR first to see if the same issue exists

(3) HDMI reset procedure:

a. While the cable/sat box is on, disconnect HDMI cable from TV
b. Turn off power to the all devices (OFF, not in standby)
c. Disconnect HDMI cable from the cable/sat box to AVR at both ends
d. Wait 2 minutes
e. Reconnect all HDMI cables
f. Apply power to TV, then AVR, then cable/sat box

(4) Cable configuration work-around:

a. Connect a component and optical/coax cable from the cable/sat box to the AVR,

or,

b. Connect the HDMI cable from the cable/sat box to the TV and an optical/coax cable from the cable/sat box to the AVR

(5) Replace the cable/sat box with different model/mfr

(6) Sometimes adding an HDMI switch between the AVR and the TV will resolve this issue although will of course require an extra cost for the switch.

post #25 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 11:17 PM

jdsmoothie, I have to say you're answers were amazing. Thanks so much for taking the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

MultEQ XT not only increases the positions from 6 to 8 but also offers more advanced filters. When taking the readings, the first position is done at the primary listening position, while the remaining positions are done within a 2' radius of the first position (rather than where everyone else actually sits).

So, just to make sure I understand... this purpose of taking additional readings within a two foot radius is simply so Audyssey better understands the geometry of the room to further optimize the sweet spot? That is pretty awesome.

post #26 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 PM
585-645-1006

Correct. Which is why it's suggested to take the maximum number of positions each time you run AUTO SETUP, although initially you'll only run 1 position to ensure the sub reading is acceptable (ie. not set to either maximum limit of +/- 12db). Once confirmed it's not, the remaining postions can be run.

post #27 of 10556 Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 PM

One more silly question:

After Audyssey is done, how much manual control do you have over what it just set? I am very excited about having this auto-calibration, but I also know that my personal taste might not be perfectly flat response. So would I be able to do any tweaking once it's done?

post #28 of 10556 Old 06-20-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

One more silly question:

After Audyssey is done, how much manual control do you have over what it just set? I am very excited about having this auto-calibration, but I also know that my personal taste might not be perfectly flat response. So would I be able to do any tweaking once it's done?

You're able to change the cross over settings, size of your speakers,distance (which should be mess with) among few other things..But once the information is calculated that's pretty much it. If you don't like it you can rerun it again. You'll never make the same adjustments twice!

Happy fathers day guys

Daniel
post #29 of 10556 Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 AM

I am using Klipsch Quintet IV speakers with a Klipsch SW-350 subwoofer and the 3311 receiver will be arriving on Thursday. In the manual it gives two setup options, one is if you have a subwoofer with a direct mode, another one without a direct mode. How do I verify if my subwoofer has a direct mode and what do they mean by that? I went through the manual on my subwoofer and could not find anything that specifies that.
post #30 of 10556 Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I am using Klipsch Quintet IV speakers with a Klipsch SW-350 subwoofer and the 3311 receiver will be arriving on Thursday. In the manual it gives two setup options, one is if you have a subwoofer with a direct mode, another one without a direct mode. How do I verify if my subwoofer has a direct mode and what do they mean by that? I went through the manual on my subwoofer and could not find anything that specifies that.

Direct mode means you can disable the crossover in your sub.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Denon , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page