"Official" Sony STR-DA3600, 4600, 5600ES Receiver thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "Official" Sony STR-DA3600, 4600, 5600ES Receiver thread
sonsrap's Avatar sonsrap 02:45 PM 03-18-2011
I have two unopened 5600ES for sale if anyone is interested!

BmrSnr's Avatar BmrSnr 10:49 PM 03-25-2011
First off, I'm really surprised that this thread is so dormant. Has Sony not sold any of these things? I'm hopelessly (some would say foolishly) dedicated to Sony. As such, I've just bought a Sony STR-DA4600ES. But I'm having what I would think is a simple problem. I've also posted this to the AVR forum, but I'm hoping to get some Sony-specific advice (like guidance on a menu setting).

Please bear with me, I'm new to the AVR world.

The AVR has a input selector- HDMI 1, FM, Sirius, etc. I would like to have a football game on the TV in the background (sound is optional) and have music playing (say, FM). But you can just pick one source at a time. I pick FM and the FM tuner pops up on the screen. Am I missing a simple workaround? It's hard to believe that I either have to devote my entire to focus to the TV or to music.

I realize I could accomplish this by running HDMI directly from the cable box to the TV, but then I lose surround sound, almost the entire purpose of the AVR (my TV doesn't have ARC). I'm also already using zone 2 for my patio, so that's not an option.

Surely this $1300 receiver can perform the simplest of multi-tasking, right?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
sonsrap's Avatar sonsrap 10:57 PM 03-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmrSnr View Post

First off, I'm really surprised that this thread is so dormant. Has Sony not sold any of these things? I'm hopelessly (some would say foolishly) dedicated to Sony. As such, I've just bought a Sony STR-DA4600ES. But I'm having what I would think is a simple problem. I've also posted this to the AVR forum, but I'm hoping to get some Sony-specific advice (like guidance on a menu setting).

The AVR has a input selector- HDMI 1, FM, Sirius, etc. I would like to have a football game on the TV in the background (sound is optional) and have music playing (say, FM). But you can just pick one source at a time. I pick FM and the FM tuner pops up on the screen. Am I missing a simple workaround? It's hard to believe that I either have to devote my entire to focus to the TV or to music.

I realize I could accomplish this by running HDMI directly from the cable box to the TV, but then I lose surround sound, almost the entire purpose of the AVR (my TV doesn't have ARC). I'm also already using zone 2 for my patio, so that's not an option.

You should be able to hit the "multi in" button on the remote then select a second non HDMI source.... That's the way it was in my 5300es. BUT I now have the 5600es and I cannot get it to function either. So I don't think my response helped much but give a try!!
stevoid1's Avatar stevoid1 11:47 AM 03-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsrap View Post

You should be able to hit the "multi in" button on the remote then select a second non HDMI source.... That's the way it was in my 5300es. BUT I now have the 5600es and I cannot get it to function either. So I don't think my response helped much but give a try!!

Quote:

I agree with you about the dormant thread. Nice of sonsrap to reply to you. But usually there is no anwser to inquiries on this thread. Not even the courtesy of a "I don't know". So you wonder if people don't care, or if no one reads the thread, or if your question was so stupid it isn't worth replying to. Whatever. I am scratching my head now. Bye.
ajglass's Avatar ajglass 01:02 PM 03-31-2011
In my opinion, this is a fine receiver with a lot going for it. It has not been widely reviewed, possibly because of Sony's restricted marketing approach and because there are quite a few comparable A/V units available with many of the same features at about the same price.

That said, Sony engineers and design team have done an outstanding job.
BmrSnr's Avatar BmrSnr 09:10 PM 03-31-2011
Thanks for the advice, sonsrap. Sorry for the delay in getting back w/ you, but I'll give your advice a try. In the meantime, I do think I've found a work around. I have simply run a coax directly from my cable box to my TV. When I want to listen to the radio, I just put it on FM (the tuner window pops up on my HDMI TV input) and I switch the TV to the TV input and have full cable AND video. Imagine that...

As for my review of the receiver, not that anyone asked, I must say my journey started very rocky. It was impossible to even find one to buy. Last Fall, I went to BB and they said they didn't carry Sony ES. So I went on-line. No luck ("custom installers" only). I looked on the Sony web site for a custom installer and there were literally only two listed in a metro area of 4.5 million people... AND I had never heard of either. They weren't even retail outlets.

So I called Sony and expressed my frustration. "Where can I buy one of your receivers besides these two no-name places 40 minutes away from me?" "No where." "Seriously?!" "Yes." After talking to the lady longer, she finally broke down and told me I could buy it at ABT.com and that they were an authorized dealer. Sure enough, they had them.

But in the meantime, I went to BB to look at the DN-2010 (as I say, hopelessly dedicated to Sony). Well what do you know? They had the 3600 ES and 4600 ES hooked up in their Magnolia section. Asked when they started carrying ES and they said last Oct. It must have been right after I asked them about it last Fall.

At any rate, VERY frustrating that Sony makes it so difficult. They don't know that BB is selling their stuff?! Duh! It makes me mad all over again.

So I bought the 4600 but since I got it at BB and not a "custom installer", they didn't know crap about it. I would ask a question and they would literally just go to Sony Style to look for an answer. Seriously? I'm an over-researcher so I had been to that site and dozens of others looking for answers. I couldn't stand watching them bumble around trying to find answers so I gave up. They're worthless. I hate that they have my money but it was either them or ABT. Sheesh...

I could go on and on but I won't. I have it now and I'm learning on the fly (and w/ you guys). The MAJOR saving grace for this receiver (since it's so complex and I'm a newbie) is the Ipod Touch/Iphone app. It is freaking awesome! As I said, this is a complex AVR but I literally taught my 8-year old daughter (and even my wife!) how to operate multi-inputs in two zones, via the app, in 2 minutes. SO simple. If it wasn't for the app, I would really be wondering what I got myself into. But with it, I'm pumped with everything this sucker can do. And to think I had one AV store try to sell me a $600 remote when this app does almost all the same things, but more customized and with a better display.

Also, ShoutCAST is very cool. I thought I would miss having Slacker and Pandora, but there are so many stations, and I can change them easily from my iTouch, I don't miss them at all. (Plus I've heard rumors that the new OS version for the Touch/iPhone is going to allow streaming from the device through to Apple TV so you can stream any audio from any site soon.)

I've typed a lot. I'm going to stop now.
tcottonab's Avatar tcottonab 11:08 AM 04-04-2011
I just received my Sony STR-DA5600ES receiver on Friday. I replaced my old Sony STR-DA50ES after its passing of 12 years of service.

I cannot be more happy with this receiver. Everything hooked up perfectly, self calibration was a breeze (I did make a few EQ tweaks of my own). I use the built in network switch (which is only 10/100; not gigabit) to extend connectivity for PS3. I played with the Sony Setup Manager Software that allows you to control and edit settings on the receiver over the network, from your Windows based computer and provides a 32 band EQ per channel, for those who want to calibrate and tune with a multimeter/ R2.

Upon hooking this receiver up, doing the self calibration and playing back content, this receiver makes my speakers sound like a million bucks. This might be because of the 130W/ channel (vs. DA50ES's 100W/ channel) and a more precise EQ calibration process.

I continue to be a Happy Sony customer! If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

Tim
carver16's Avatar carver16 02:30 PM 04-04-2011
I purchased the Sony str-da5600es from my local b&m store back in Nov. I replaced my old Denon 3806 avr purchased at same store. Difficult to setup, however sounds amazing. I also purchased the Sony bdp-s1700es with it. I also just replaced my old panasonic 720p projector with Sony's vpl-hw15. Got a great package deal and the 5year warrenty sealed the deal. With the avr and bluray the ipod touch apps work great, I don't even use the normal remote, my wife can even use it. Why is everybody upset about this unit not being offered online go to your local home theator expert and talk to a professional. When I had difficulties with setup the sales staff came to my house after hours to assist, who else will do that? I have never purchased any av gear online exept for cables and one mirage sub that I was tring to match(ebay). Lets hear it for the local shops. Anyway if you get a chance take a listen you will be impressed.

My current setup

SONY STR-DA5600ES
SONY BDP-S1700ES
SONY VPL-HW15
VUTEC SCREEN (92")
PARADIGM STUDIO 60V.2
DEFINITIVE CLR2002
MTX BLUPRINT INWALLS FOR SURROUND AND REAR SURROUND
MIRAGE MS12 (2)
YAMAHA CDC-575
DISH 622 DVR
BELKIN PURE AV
EAST1's Avatar EAST1 07:56 AM 04-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcottonab View Post

I just received my Sony STR-DA5600ES receiver on Friday. I replaced my old Sony STR-DA50ES after its passing of 12 years of service.

I cannot be more happy with this receiver. Everything hooked up perfectly, self calibration was a breeze (I did make a few EQ tweaks of my own). I use the built in network switch (which is only 10/100; not gigabit) to extend connectivity for PS3. I played with the Sony Setup Manager Software that allows you to control and edit settings on the receiver over the network, from your Windows based computer and provides a 32 band EQ per channel, for those who want to calibrate and tune with a multimeter/ R2.

Upon hooking this receiver up, doing the self calibration and playing back content, this receiver makes my speakers sound like a million bucks. This might be because of the 130W/ channel (vs. DA50ES's 100W/ channel) and a more precise EQ calibration process.

I continue to be a Happy Sony customer! If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

Tim

Tim,
Glad your setup is working well. I have the 5600ES and it is really working well with my Paradigm Studio 100s, CC-690, ADP-590, Sub 1, etc. But I am curious - using the Sony autocalibration, the system sets the subwoofer 15 dB louder that all the other speakers and thinks it is 22 feet away instead of 11 feet. I checked the sound pressure levels with a digital radio shack meter. Why would it set the dB of the sub that much louder? All the other speakers were spot on. Should I leave the distance at 22 ft, or enter the real distance manually? Any thoughts?
Steve
BmrSnr's Avatar BmrSnr 09:37 AM 04-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Display album art... the art has to be named "folder.jpg", not sure any other image format will work (no .png, no .bmp, etc.). The art has to be in the same folder with the tracks. If you put the art in a separate folder from the tracks, it won't be found. There may be a limit on the size of image that will work... I know 500x500 and smaller works, not sure about larger sizes than 500x500.

This worked for me having music organized in alphabetical folders by Artist name first, then by album title, and all the tracks and cover art inside the album title folder. Example: 1.5 TB hard disc, Folder named "L", artist folder named "Los Lobos", album folder named "Los Lobos - 1999 - Kiko" and inside that folder are the 10 album tracks and the cover art named "folder.jpg". All tracks are tagged, but tagging with album art doesn't seem to make it show up in a lot of places, you have to have the actual image file named folder.jpg . If you dump 50 tracks from 50 different albums into a single folder, you can't have 50 cover art images all named folder.jpg so you won't be able to get cover art.

For what it's worth, I just opened Windows Media Player and pulled up all my music. Most of my album art was there (and could be visable on the iPod app). For those that were missing, I just right clicked on the song (or maybe it was the album) and clicked on Find Album Info and it would automatically get the art work for me. Now I have art work for my whole collection (in addition to the artwork I have via iTunes but can't get via the AVR).
tcottonab's Avatar tcottonab 01:47 PM 04-06-2011
Steve,

I am assuming prior to calibrating the sub, you adjusted the sub's gain to just before the mid-point (mid point being 50% power) and set the sub-woofer's crossover frequency (usually called the high pass filter) to the maximum setting? If you tuned to these settings, you should be ok since you are verifying actual value with a SPL meter.

In the receiver manual, page 48, there is a Note under 'On setting up the active sub-woofer' Sony states that "Depending on the characteristics of the sub-woofer you are using, the setup distance value may be further away from the actual listening position".

I did not however have this problem with the sub I am using, but this might have something to do with where mine is placed in my room. My sub is actually right beside my couch on the right hand side, in a corner (for maximum extension

Tim
Spooky333's Avatar Spooky333 05:22 PM 04-06-2011
Hi everyone hoping someone can help me with this question, sony have just replaced my old STRDA5300 with a new DA5600 however I am having diplay problems.
I am using one display but getting intermittant display issues. Sometimes it works sometimes no output at all. Cables are all very good quality and swapped out so no issue there.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
tcottonab's Avatar tcottonab 10:39 AM 04-07-2011
@ Spooky- Are you getting the random display "cut-offs" with all devices connected to the receiver via HDMI? What type of HDMI cables are you using?

Tim
EAST1's Avatar EAST1 01:55 PM 04-07-2011
Quote:

Steve,

I am assuming prior to calibrating the sub, you adjusted the sub's gain to just before the mid-point (mid point being 50% power) and set the sub-woofer's crossover frequency (usually called the high pass filter) to the maximum setting? If you tuned to these settings, you should be ok since you are verifying actual value with a SPL meter.

In the receiver manual, page 48, there is a Note under 'On setting up the active sub-woofer' Sony states that "Depending on the characteristics of the sub-woofer you are using, the setup distance value may be further away from the actual listening position".

I did not however have this problem with the sub I am using, but this might have something to do with where mine is placed in my room. My sub is actually right beside my couch on the right hand side, in a corner (for maximum extension

Tim

Tim,
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I did the setup as you suggest with ~40% gain on the Paradigm Sub 1 knob and set to bypass in terms of the filter. But it is strange to me that the sony sets the sub at 90 dB when all the other speakers in the 7.1 setup are pretty much spot on at 75 dB. I just leave it at that since the bass amount sounds good to me.
I did read in the manual about the sub setup distance being further away than the actual distance. Should I just leave it as is or manually correct it. I find it difficult to detect a difference so I guess it doesn't matter.
This is my first higher end receiver so I don't have any basis for comparison to other products - but I am sure impressed with it. The good news is that no matter how I set the system controls for crossovers, etc. it all sounds fantastic.
Do you use the speaker relocation feature?
What listening mode do you use? After reading Doug Blackburn's review in Widescreen Review I changed to use the ENGINEER mode instead of the default FLAT mode and prefer that sound. After reading your post above, I guess you must be using the USER mode.
Have a great day.
Steve
tcottonab's Avatar tcottonab 05:00 PM 04-08-2011
@Steve- Correct. I am using the user reference mode. Since you have a SPL meter to adjust gain levels, honestly, if I were you, I would set the sub to your specific listening preferences. Some people like the bass hot, others at reference and yet others want it lower because of their specific listening environments. The good thing is, you can set the sub-woofer to whatever volume/ filter settings that you want. This is the beauty of going with a higher end receiver. Now if you want to set the sub to a reference level, aka. the level set at movie theaters or to a level of intended playback by a sound mixer, for example, the channels are usually tuned at 85dB and the sub at 88dB (or 90dB depending on who's tuning). Tuning the sound system, with the sub at reference level with the other speakers usually leaves people wanting "more" from the sub.

For me, the delivery of bass in relation of its integration with the rest of my sound system is key. You don't want the sub-woofer to sound bigger than the sound being reproduced by your other speakers and vise versa.

Look at me getting off topic about bass....

Have fun with this receiver. I am loving it!

Tim
comptr's Avatar comptr 07:08 PM 04-14-2011
I have a question on the da3600es will it up convert all composite and component connections via hdmi ?
tweakinaddy's Avatar tweakinaddy 08:16 PM 04-14-2011
For selection just go into the GUI highlight the input used for dvr and options
comptr's Avatar comptr 09:22 PM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakinaddy View Post
For selection just go into the GUI highlight the input used for dvr and options
So if I do that will it convert the analog connections to be upscaled via the HDMI connection ?
EAST1's Avatar EAST1 09:41 AM 04-18-2011
Quote:

@Steve- Correct. I am using the user reference mode. Since you have a SPL meter to adjust gain levels, honestly, if I were you, I would set the sub to your specific listening preferences. Some people like the bass hot, others at reference and yet others want it lower because of their specific listening environments. The good thing is, you can set the sub-woofer to whatever volume/ filter settings that you want. This is the beauty of going with a higher end receiver. Now if you want to set the sub to a reference level, aka. the level set at movie theaters or to a level of intended playback by a sound mixer, for example, the channels are usually tuned at 85dB and the sub at 88dB (or 90dB depending on who's tuning). Tuning the sound system, with the sub at reference level with the other speakers usually leaves people wanting "more" from the sub.

For me, the delivery of bass in relation of its integration with the rest of my sound system is key. You don't want the sub-woofer to sound bigger than the sound being reproduced by your other speakers and vise versa.

Look at me getting off topic about bass....

Have fun with this receiver. I am loving it!

Tim

Tim,
Thanks for your comments. I agree the receiver is awesome.
Best Regards,
Steve
hmunster2's Avatar hmunster2 01:29 PM 04-26-2011
I have tried in vain to locate a dealer carrying ES receivers. Supposedly BestBuy carries the 3500, but no others.
If you know how to locate a dealer, please let me know.
Thank you.
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 03:57 PM 04-26-2011
Checked the BB site. They carry the STR-DA3600ES but only in Magnolia stores.
ajglass's Avatar ajglass 04:36 PM 04-26-2011
What is Sony up to in it's marketing efforts? The 5600ES is the best kept secret in A/V today.
BmrSnr's Avatar BmrSnr 10:05 AM 04-27-2011
Yes, as mentioned in my post above, Sony makes it WAY too hard to buy their ES receivers. I bought my 4600 at BB but they have since discontinued it (and I got a $250 price match as a result). The Sony Custom Installer Search URL is worthless. Only two locations in a metro area of 4.5M people and they're in strange small suburbs (i.e. not one single dealer in Dallas proper?!).

You can also call your local hi-end dealer to see if they happen to carry them or if you can order one from them. The only authorized dealer on the web, to my knowledge, is ABT.com (as per Sony). They charge full retail.

The iPod/iPhone app for these systems is awesome.
ajglass's Avatar ajglass 11:27 AM 04-27-2011
Quote:

Yes, as mentioned in my post above, Sony makes it WAY too hard to buy their ES receivers. I bought my 4600 at BB but they have since discontinued it (and I got a $250 price match as a result). The Sony Custom Installer Search URL is worthless. Only two locations in a metro area of 4.5M people and they're in strange small suburbs (i.e. not one single dealer in Dallas proper?!).

You can also call your local hi-end dealer to see if they happen to carry them or if you can order one from them. The only authorized dealer on the web, to my knowledge, is ABT.com (as per Sony). They charge full retail.

The iPod/iPhone app for these systems is awesome.

I put the STR-DA5600ES in my Google search engine when it was first announced and got promptly got an accepted sales offer of $1500.
tweakinaddy's Avatar tweakinaddy 11:25 PM 04-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Checked the BB site. They carry the STR-DA3600ES but only in Magnolia stores.

The magnolia best buy can order the 3600, 4600, and 5600
samsurd2's Avatar samsurd2 01:44 PM 04-28-2011
Thanks for the info.
sonsrap's Avatar sonsrap 04:16 PM 04-28-2011
I still have a new in box 5600 I'm selling I will give you a good price! They are great receivers I love the one I use!!
zozome's Avatar zozome 02:32 AM 05-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggo View Post

My dealer ordered a 5600ES the day the Sony order system started taking orders, and it came in Friday.

Setup was easy as I was upgrading from a 5400ES (although the cabling still took a while). The auto-calibration mic made speaker setup simple. DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD both sound great in 7.1 (via Samsung BD6900), although I learned that if HDMI Audio Out is set to Amp + TV, it converts it to Linear PCM 2.0 for both (big drawback if you want TV sound only sometimes, but I never do).

3D passthrough looks great from both BD6900 and PS3. The GUI (vertical XMB) overlays fine over HDMI (the 5400ES had issues), although it does blank the input when viewing a 3D source.

The Ethernet switch works fine, although if you select Connect Automatically(DHCP) it gets a random IP address. I manually configured it with a static IP on my network so I can control the receiver from the iPhone app, which works great.

I've got 5 HDMI devices connected (HDMI4 and HDMI5 are "optimized for audio" and all can be relabeled), two component, one composite (no s-video inputs), one analog multi-in (SACD), one coax audio, one optical, analog tape, and phono, and still have room for more components.

One other issue was problems with the BD6900's AnyNet and Sony's external control function making switching inputs erratic. I turned off AnyNet, but without it every time I insert a 3D Blu-Ray I get a 3D confirmation dialog from the BD6900.

All in all, nice upgrade from the 5400ES. And my dealer gave me 10% off, so I was under MSRP with tax.

Couldnt get my STR DA3600ES work with the AV remote app for iPhone 4, even after enable external controls and giving it a static IP address. Please help.
BmrSnr's Avatar BmrSnr 10:11 PM 05-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky333 View Post

Hi everyone hoping someone can help me with this question, sony have just replaced my old STRDA5300 with a new DA5600 however I am having diplay problems.
I am using one display but getting intermittant display issues. Sometimes it works sometimes no output at all. Cables are all very good quality and swapped out so no issue there.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Are you using both HDMI outs, by chance? I am, and when the HDMI output is set to A+B both TV's video just flashes on and offer. I have to either select HDMI A or B, not both.

That's the only thing I can think of.
BmrSnr's Avatar BmrSnr 10:30 PM 05-16-2011
Okay guys, a few more problems that I'm hoping you can help with.

First, I'm having problems playing music via the Server input/my laptop. It's strange. I open the GUI, I go to Photos, select Server, it recognizes my laptop, shows the photo folders and I can view photos. I then go to Videos, select Server, it recognizes my laptop, shows my video folders and I can watch videos. But when I go to Music and select Server, it shows my laptop but it doesn't show any of the music folders and I can't access any music as a result. This is especially strange since it worked about a month ago when I just bought this.

I have gone to Windows Media Player to ensure my library can be accessed by other devices, but nothing seems to work? Any ideas? For what it's worth, I'm able to right click on any song in WMP and select 'Play To' my 4600 and it works, so there is connectivity.

Second problem relates to sporadic network issues (not sure if it's related to the problem above). I listen to ShoutCast a lot. There have been two instances now where I go to select a station via iPod App and it says there is no connectivity. I try over and again, reboot app, try via the remote/TV, with no luck. It extends to other network applications. For instance, when I go to Photos and select Server, the ShoutCast screen will pop up (w/ no connectivity). I try the same with Videos, and the same thing happens... ShoutCast screen w/ no connectivity. I go to my laptop and it can't find the 4600... it's gone. But I can still use the iPod app to select AM/FM and listen to the radio, so maybe it's not a network issue but more of an internal software issue?

The first time this happened, my friend was over and he tried to make it work for 2 hours (he's a former NT administrator - very technical). It didn't work. I went to bed, tried it in the morning, and it worked. ?? The second time, it started working again after 15 minutes. Doing soft reboots of the receiver (holding down the power button) doesn't fix this. Any ideas? Seems like it could be a software problem but I don't see where Sony has any SW updates for this receiver. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer on either of these issues. I'm dreading calling Sony as my experience is that they have no clue. Plus, the last thing I want to do is send this thing in for repairs and have to hook it all up again.

Thanks again.
Tags: Sony Str Da3600es 7 1 Channel Network Black Av Home Theater Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Sony Strda4600es A V Receiver Dolby Digital Ex Dolby Digital Plus Dolby Pro Logic Ii Dolby Pro Logic
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop