"Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3451 of 3993 Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not following you here. I know I can go into input and select the source but when I turn off the tv the audio goes off on the receiver. I want to turn the tv off and continue to listen to audio on the rec. seems when I turn the tv off there's a hand shake issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3993 Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post

Is it possible to turn off the tv n listen to music through dish? When I turn off the tv the audio turns off bcause hdmi.

Your problem might be in your tv set-up. I can turn my tv(Panasonic) off and listen to the audio from my dish dvr or my cable box. There's about 2-3 seconds without sound when the tv is turned off. Both dish dvr and cable box connected w/hdmi to 667,667 to tv,via hdmi.
post #3453 of 3993 Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:

I'm not following you here. I know I can go into input and select the source but when I turn off the tv the audio goes off on the receiver. I want to turn the tv off and continue to listen to audio on the rec. seems when I turn the tv off there's a hand shake issue.

Try this: instead of turning off the TV, switch it to a different input first, then turn it off. If that doesn't work, then try switching the AVR to a different input and back again. the Yamaha is designed to work as an "audio-only" HDMI device, but it requires a TV that actually turns off its HDMI port (which many do not), which is why switching the TV to a different input often works.
post #3454 of 3993 Old 03-25-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Try this: instead of turning off the TV, switch it to a different input first, then turn it off. If that doesn't work, then try switching the AVR to a different input and back again. the Yamaha is designed to work as an "audio-only" HDMI device, but it requires a TV that actually turns off its HDMI port (which many do not), which is why switching the TV to a different input often works.

Thanks. I switched the tv input to ota tv then turned it off and it worked. It's kind of a pain because I have to switch from hdmi to ota every time I want to listen without the tv but at least I figured this out. This really comes in handy when i am using the 2nd zone for outdoor and I don't want the tv on.
post #3455 of 3993 Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM

I've had an Apple TV2 (jailbroken, with XBMC installed) and Yamaha 667 in my stsme for a few weeks now.

However, XBMC only occasionally works with the receiver - most times I just get a gray screen. This is only happens with XBMV, not the other Apple TV funcctions.

I seem to have tried every possible setting - different inputs on the TV and the amp, different cables, different skins on the Apple. Nothing works. I downloaded a new version of XBMC this morning, hoping against hope, to no avail.

Does anyone have ant ideas for how to resolve this?
post #3456 of 3993 Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

After getting 2 new subs,I decided to run YPAO again. I got a E1 error code(no front speaker) which I knew was false(they all work,even w/test tone). I called Yamaha customer service & sent an email. The next day I received a call from them,they're sending a new mic. no charge. Way to go Yamaha!
post #3457 of 3993 Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM

I have 667 more than a year now, I inserted the plug in 220v while the AVR voltage switch was on 110v...(by mistake I forgot to switch to 220)
tried to switch on but it stayed in sleep (standby)
once I realized my mistake I cut off power, checked the protective fuse and it was fine, so I switched the voltage to 220, re-inserted the plug and tried to switch it on but nothing happened, it stays in sleep mode,
so I tried going into self diag so pressed Main zone + tune control+ info and this fixed it, and I could switch it on and it functions normally EXCEPT for the front panel display,
nothing at all is visible (like it is still in standby mode) completely blank despite that the unit is working fine with OSD visible on the TV and sounds in speakers.
did I fry the front panel display? or there are some steps I can do to re-enable the display?
post #3458 of 3993 Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

By any chance, do you have HDMI Control turned ON? Pgs 102-103 of the manual.
post #3459 of 3993 Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

A follow-up to my previous post;Yamaha did send me a replacement mic. to fix the YPAO. Unfortunately, it also is defective. They will not send me another one,said I would have to send the 667 in for service. I replied that I will not be without my entire system for weeks or months. I have a sound level meter and a tape measure,don't need YPAO. At least now I know what my next upgrade will be.

Anyone want to buy a 667? It's perfect except for the damn mic.
post #3460 of 3993 Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

A follow-up to my previous post;Yamaha did send me a replacement mic. to fix the YPAO. Unfortunately, it also is defective. They will not send me another one,said I would have to send the 667 in for service. I replied that I will not be without my entire system for weeks or months. I have a sound level meter and a tape measure,don't need YPAO. At least now I know what my next upgrade will be.

Anyone want to buy a 667? It's perfect except for the damn mic.

It doesn't sound like the mic is defective. More likely, some connection inside that carries the signal from the mic. Probably why they want the unit. Don't you have an authorized service center near you?

post #3461 of 3993 Old 04-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

It doesn't sound like the mic is defective. More likely, some connection inside that carries the signal from the mic. Probably why they want the unit. Don't you have an authorized service center near you?

The 2 mic.s had different error codes and problems. The first wouldn't detect a working speaker(E-3,I think),the second wouldn't activate the subs and had a partially scrambled on screen display. Like I said before, I've got a calibrated spl meter and a tape measure. Adios YPAO,hello Audyssey. It's a shame, I've been a Yamaha fan a long,long time. The previous Yamaha receiver failed after around 7 years. Not that bad, but still.........

No, local service center. Even if there was,it probably would still take weeks if any parts weren't backordered. Sorry,I'll replace it before I'll go weeks or months without music or tv. Then I'll just sell the 667.
post #3462 of 3993 Old 04-07-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
When I run YPAO on my 667, it sets the subwoofer to 26.8 ft away and all of the fronts are about 10 and the rears 2.5, should I correct the subwoofer distance manually with my tape measure or will this upset the timing the AVR sends out the LFE signal? My subwoofer is a Tuba HT, so is it possible that the "Maze" of the sub takes longer for the audio wave to exit the sub to the mic? YPAO also sets the level of the sub to -10.0 which I always reset to 0.0 because I control the subwoofer volume on the amp.
post #3463 of 3993 Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

When I run YPAO on my 667, it sets the subwoofer to 26.8 ft away and all of the fronts are about 10 and the rears 2.5, should I correct the subwoofer distance manually with my tape measure or will this upset the timing the AVR sends out the LFE signal? My subwoofer is a Tuba HT, so is it possible that the "Maze" of the sub takes longer for the audio wave to exit the sub to the mic? YPAO also sets the level of the sub to -10.0 which I always reset to 0.0 because I control the subwoofer volume on the amp.

Your sub is running way too hot when you use YPAO, you need to turn it down and run again. When YPAO finishes with the sub close to "0", then you're where you want to be. You can turn it up again at the sub if you wish. Don't worry about the distance setting for the sub.
post #3464 of 3993 Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Thank you, I've gotten the sub to where I think it properly complements the other channels so I disregard what YPAO wants to do with it. The gain is set to about 3/8, 1/2 being the 12 o'clock position.
post #3465 of 3993 Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

Thank you, I've gotten the sub to where I think it properly complements the other channels so I disregard what YPAO wants to do with it. The gain is set to about 3/8, 1/2 being the 12 o'clock position.

Nevertheless, when you run YPAO its balancing ALL channels, and a hot sub will cause it to lower the other channels. It's better to turn it down, run YPAO, then turn it back up if you must.
post #3466 of 3993 Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

I see on page 30 of the manual NOT to be connected at both the SPEAKER and PRE-OUT terminals. Googling around I see where this might be debateable but rather than take a chance of frying the AVR ... I'll go with the manual.

What ISN'T clear to me is if the Pre-outs of the RX-V667 will control the external amp's (ART SLA1) volume to the speakers, and so will not need another switch or component.

I've also seen pros and cons of bi-amping (pg 18) and note that would also require setting this AVR in the drop down menu to run a 5 speaker system.

I realize I should just leave a working system alone, but then one doesn't learn. I would rather learn without the need of a fire extinguisher. Also note that what is contemplated here should also be easily reversable.
post #3467 of 3993 Old 04-11-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

What ISN'T clear to me is if the Pre-outs of the RX-V667 will control the external amp's (ART SLA1) volume to the speakers, and so will not need another switch or component.

The pre-outs are volume controlled, as well as having all the other DSP, EQ, etc. So when using an external amp, you still do all the same setup in the AVR.
post #3468 of 3993 Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The pre-outs are volume controlled, as well as having all the other DSP, EQ, etc. So when using an external amp, you still do all the same setup in the AVR.

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to help me (again).
post #3469 of 3993 Old 04-16-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 213
It has been awhile since I stopped by this thread. Has there been a firmware update that removes the annoying volume GUI from the HDTV when adjusting the sound levels with the remote?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #3470 of 3993 Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It has been awhile since I stopped by this thread. Has there been a firmware update that removes the annoying volume GUI from the HDTV when adjusting the sound levels with the remote?

No.
post #3471 of 3993 Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Just a follow-up to my previous post; I called Yamaha again,got a different rep. who sent me another mic. This one worked fine. I was right,the original and first replacement were both bad. Persistence is the key to success. As a side note,if you have a good sound level meter and a tape measure forget YPAO entirely and use the manual set-up. Every manufacturer has to have some kind of room correction nowadays and not all of them want to pay Audyssey their fee. While I'm not a fan of Audyssey(although I have the highest respect for Chris and Tom),it is the best room correction while YPAO is the simplest and not comparable at all.
post #3472 of 3993 Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Just a follow-up to my previous post; I called Yamaha again,got a different rep. who sent me another mic. This one worked fine. I was right,the original and first replacement were both bad. Persistence is the key to success. As a side note,if you have a good sound level meter and a tape measure forget YPAO entirely and use the manual set-up. Every manufacturer has to have some kind of room correction nowadays and not all of them want to pay Audyssey their fee. While I'm not a fan of Audyssey(although I have the highest respect for Chris and Tom),it is the best room correction while YPAO is the simplest and not comparable at all.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but was looking for a meter in the $50 range. Radio Shack does/used to have a good digital meter in that range. Mind if I ping you on a good Sound Pressure device (I am using db Meter Pro now on the Itouch).
post #3473 of 3993 Old 04-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

Not to hi-jack the thread, but was looking for a meter in the $50 range. Radio Shack does/used to have a good digital meter in that range. Mind if I ping you on a good Sound Pressure device (I am using db Meter Pro now on the Itouch).

Sent you a pm,but I don't think the links worked. Here they are again;

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...r-good-measure

http://www.cross-spectrum.com/measur...ted_cm140.html
post #3474 of 3993 Old 04-17-2012, 02:11 AM

Hi how can I have video from one source eg: blu ray playing on tv and audio from another eg: cd?
post #3475 of 3993 Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersm View Post

Hi how can I have video from one source eg: blu ray playing on tv and audio from another eg: cd?

this has been covered many times; read your owners manual, search this thread, play with your system.

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
post #3476 of 3993 Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

on screen>input(what you want to watch)>arrow up>audio in>select input you want to hear
post #3477 of 3993 Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe01880 View Post

this has been covered many times; read your owners manual, search this thread, play with your system.

It took less key strokes to help him than to reprimand him. Remember when you needed help?
post #3478 of 3993 Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Its limited to network, usb and tuner and can be chosen within the input menu by choosing one of the above three input options and pressing the up cursor.

Mark
post #3479 of 3993 Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith View Post

Its limited to network, usb and tuner
Mark

No, it's not. You can select any AV(1-6) input as well as Audio 1&2. I frequently listen to CDs(Audio 1),LPs(Audio 2) and my Squeezebox(AV1) while watching TV(HDMI1) or Bluray/Netflix(HDMI2)!
post #3480 of 3993 Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a yamaha HTR 6063. (RX-V667). I am running a 6.2 setup, I just added the 2nd subwoofer, a Polk audio PSW 111. the first sub is a velodyne CT100. I ran the YPAO setup and it only shows 1 sub on the display, so there is only a single x-over and level control. with this AVR is there any way to control these subs seperatly.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - V667 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page