"Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3958 Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Remember that only analog signals can be sent to Zone 2. If you want those HDMI sources in zone 2 you'll have to connect them by analog cables as well as HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3958 Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chifrench View Post

Can anyone tell me how to get zone two to work on the Yamaha RX-V667? I am trying to use the internal amp by hooking up my patio speakers to the extra speaker connection (also labeled as presence speaker). I believe it is just a setting but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

Also when I try to hook up my wireless unit to the analog out it is not sending any signal.

Here is my set up:
Cable box to receiver via HDMI cable
Blue ray to receiver via HDMI cable
Receiver to TV via HDMI cable

Settings:
Power Amp Assign = 7ch+1Zone
Turned zone 2 on and lights up but no sound

What are you trying to play on Zone 2? Only analog audio can be output from Zone 2, unless you are in party mode. See if you can get FM sound out of zone 2.
post #363 of 3958 Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM

I just got my V867 today and went ahead and did the Ypao test. For some reason it's giving a W-1 and saying that my center speaker has it's polarity reversed. I've checked and double checked and it's wired correctly.
So I switched it to a reverse polarity and the test came back with no W-1 and shows it as normal. The speaker seems to sound the same either way it's wired. The manual says the test will do this from time to time. I'm confused. lol

Also read earlier you can go through the actively streaming audio via the info button. The PS3 says it's outputting DTS-HD 5.1 MA. When looking at the Yamaha it displays PCM and on the audio signal info on the GUI it says
Format: PCM
Sampling: 48kHz
Channel: 3/2/0.1
with no bitrate or dialogue

BUT my PS3 says it's outputting DTS HD MA...doesn't seem right. So what am I missing? I have it connected via HDMI.
post #364 of 3958 Old 11-18-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilvertrav View Post

I just got my V867 today and went ahead and did the Ypao test. For some reason it's giving a W-1 and saying that my center speaker has it's polarity reversed. I've checked and double checked and it's wired correctly.
So I switched it to a reverse polarity and the test came back with no W-1 and shows it as normal. The speaker seems to sound the same either way it's wired. The manual says the test will do this from time to time. I'm confused. lol

Also read earlier you can go through the actively streaming audio via the info button. The PS3 says it's outputting DTS-HD 5.1 MA. When looking at the Yamaha it displays PCM and on the audio signal info on the GUI it says

BUT my PS3 says it's outputting DTS HD MA...doesn't seem right. So what am I missing? I have it connected via HDMI.

The phase problem with your center speaker is strange. That said, I was told that my front speakers were out also, so I switched their polarity to make the test happy. I don't have a center speaker, but a mono source sounds dead center, so I'll leave them alone for now.

I used Transformers 2 as my test source playing on a Sony S570 BR into HDMI 1. The V867 front panel displays "DTS-ES Mtrx". The OSD info is DTS, 48khz, 3/2/0.1 and 1536kbps, all of which seems proper. The BR is set to output stuff as DTS (not LPCM) where it's a choice. I would do the easy thing first: try a different HDMI cable. After that my knowledge is very small.

Just to show that I have the same bug mentioned by others. After turning off the BR, the video went back to HDMI 2 but no audio. HDMI 2 is an old DVR that doesn't support HDMI control. I had to power off the V867 to get audio back. My firmware is 1.02, updated via the internet.
post #365 of 3958 Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If you are sure your polarity is correct, I would wire it normally (so you get the warning.)

YPAO does occasionally pop up a polarity warning. It's trying to detect a phase issue, and doing it with a microphone, so there seems to be room for error.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #366 of 3958 Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

If you are sure your polarity is correct, I would wire it normally (so you get the warning.)

YPAO does occasionally pop up a polarity warning. It's trying to detect a phase issue, and doing it with a microphone, so there seems to be room for error.

It's on my list of things to do on a snowy day. I didn't have have banana plugs that would take #14 wire, so it's not a two second job. That, plus it sounds so good now. The YPAO also found that my speakers were not equidistant, and the result was a phase difference. I had to even them out. That's on an earlier post.

Might you find time to add V867 to the thread title? It's my OCD kicking in.

Checked the front wiring. Put this one in YPAO's column. I had changed the wire a few weeks before buying the V867 and the new wire has a light gray stripe on one conductor. Usually it's a white stripe, which I consider the ground wire. After checking, I see that gray stripe is on the plus connector of both the speaker and receiver now. After switching them when I ran the test. I guess that's why it sounds so good. And no fighting the sub either. Color me happy. Rear surround are small, so they don't get a vote.
post #367 of 3958 Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

There's no "bit rate" with PCM streams. Sounds like you may have secondary audio enabled on the PS3, but you should check in the PS3 forums for answers. It's not sending bitstreamed DTS in any case.

Seconding what Michael said: Never change speaker wiring based on YPAO W-1 errors. If it's wired right leave it alone and look for any reflections or distance issues that could cause a phase shift.
post #368 of 3958 Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 AM

You know I looked at this manual 18 times and I didn't see where it said this but now I just looked again and it is right there in black and white. Thanks for all your help.
post #369 of 3958 Old 11-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Aha, found my answer. I'll post it hear for any people wondering the same thing.
"Because the original generation of PS3s use hardware that cannot bitstream the lossless Dolby and DTS audio formats via the HDMI output, the only option available for getting lossless multichannel audio out of these PS3 consoles is allowing the PS3 to do the decoding itself and then output, via HDMI, the decoded multichannel audio using Linear Pulse Code Modulation (LPCM). The AVR may have an indicator showing that the input is PCM, LPCM, MLPCM, or something similar. The AVR would only activate the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA light if it were doing the decoding. It would only be doing this if the source device were outputting these advanced audio formats as a bitstream and the original PS3 is not capable of doing this. The end result in sound quality is in most cases essentially the same (depending on the specific capabilities of the AVR) whether the decoding is being done by the PS3 vs. having the AVR do the decoding.

The new "PS3 Slim" design uses a later generation of HDMI hardware that is capable of bitstream output via HDMI of all of the Blu-ray Disc audio formats, including the lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA formats. Thus, with this new generation of PS3 hardware consumers that connect their PS3 Slim to a modern AVR via HDMI will have the choice of configuring the PS3 to internally decode the audio and the output this decoded audio in LPCM format (via the HDMI output) or having the PS3 bitstream the undecoded audio on to their AVR and allowing rhe AVR to do the decoding. In this latter case the AVR should indicate the specific audio format being output from the disc (i.e., including Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA when those are available). Note that some Blu-ray Disc titles that do include one or more lossless audio tracks may only play the lossless track (instead of standard Dolby Digital or DTS) once the user has selected the lossless fromat from the disc's audio setup menu, while other Blu-ray titles may automatically default to the lossless audio track. This behavior is normal and is under the control of each movie studio when they create (author) their Blu-ray Discs."

I have a slim PS3 so I'll have to search through the audio options for bitstream or PCM audio. I'll post back
post #370 of 3958 Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM

I have a HD Fury II worked fine till I added a Yamaha rxv 667 receiver. The video after it passes through the 667 is not the same as direct connect. The brightness is down and the colors are way off. This is in HDMI pass through when receiver is off. Same video when the 667 is on. Hooked a lcd HD tv to the output of the 667 the picture on the lcd tv is fine. Do you have any suggestions how to solve this problem. The same thing happens if connected to HDMI from PS3 or Dishnet work receiver.

Connection pattern
Sources -> HDMI cables -> Yamaha Receiver -> HDMI cable -> HDfury2 ->VGA to RGBHV to Extron system 10 switcher RGBHV out to NEC XG 110 projector.
Running 1080i resolution. HD FURY 2 set to RGB using external power supply that came with hd fury
I also tried using a composite video input on the Yamaha up scaled to 720P same video problem.

Tried 2 setups for the lcd tv

1 Sources -> HDMI cables -> Yamaha Receiver -> HDMI cable -> HDfury2 ->VGA to lcd tv ( pc connection) (bad video)

2 Sources -> HDMI cables -> Yamaha Receiver -> HDMI cable -> HDMI input to tv (good video)

The bad video on the lcd is green. The video on the xg is also green . green tube very bright, red shows a very weak video, blue cannot see any video looking into crt . Swapped rgb cables around on the extron switcher the bright video drive follows the green video out cable. blue bright or red bright. When the HDMI goes through the Yamaha it does not matter what position the YUV/RGB switch on the hd fury is in the picture is the same bad green video. I have adjusted Ref White balance so much that I have the picture really messed up.

Pictures attached. I did the firmware upgrade on the Yamaha that did not help. I could not find a Yamaha tech support e-mail or phone number. If there are any more test that I can do please inform me.
Thanks

Hilton
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #371 of 3958 Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I constantly got "Polarity Warning" on my sub...
until I turned up the volume on the sub a bit more.
post #372 of 3958 Old 11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Anyone have an HTPC connected to the RX-V667BL and on to a LG TV via HDMI? Does it work (e.g. no "No Signal" on the LG TV)? I am trying to find a receiver that will work in this configuration and looking for working examples. Thanks.

post #373 of 3958 Old 11-21-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Aha, found my answer. I'll post it hear for any people wondering the same thing.
"Because the original generation of PS3s use hardware that cannot bitstream the lossless Dolby and DTS audio formats via the HDMI output, the only option available for getting lossless multichannel audio out of these PS3 consoles is allowing the PS3 to do the decoding itself and then output, via HDMI, the decoded multichannel audio using Linear Pulse Code Modulation (LPCM). The AVR may have an indicator showing that the input is PCM, LPCM, MLPCM, or something similar. The AVR would only activate the Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA light if it were doing the decoding. It would only be doing this if the source device were outputting these advanced audio formats as a bitstream and the original PS3 is not capable of doing this. The end result in sound quality is in most cases essentially the same (depending on the specific capabilities of the AVR) whether the decoding is being done by the PS3 vs. having the AVR do the decoding.

The new "PS3 Slim" design uses a later generation of HDMI hardware that is capable of bitstream output via HDMI of all of the Blu-ray Disc audio formats, including the lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA formats. Thus, with this new generation of PS3 hardware consumers that connect their PS3 Slim to a modern AVR via HDMI will have the choice of configuring the PS3 to internally decode the audio and the output this decoded audio in LPCM format (via the HDMI output) or having the PS3 bitstream the undecoded audio on to their AVR and allowing rhe AVR to do the decoding. In this latter case the AVR should indicate the specific audio format being output from the disc (i.e., including Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA when those are available). Note that some Blu-ray Disc titles that do include one or more lossless audio tracks may only play the lossless track (instead of standard Dolby Digital or DTS) once the user has selected the lossless fromat from the disc's audio setup menu, while other Blu-ray titles may automatically default to the lossless audio track. This behavior is normal and is under the control of each movie studio when they create (author) their Blu-ray Discs."

I have a slim PS3 so I'll have to search through the audio options for bitstream or PCM audio. I'll post back

I can not think of anything that I have seen posted more than this question. It's almost tiring as there is information on it everywhere.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #374 of 3958 Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Howdy guys, could you help me pick between the RX-V667 or the RX-V867? I know with the RX-V867 you get the second hdmi output but what else is different? Also Does these receivers support HD radio? I cannot find a yes or no to this to save my life! I'm going to be running these with the Pioneer speakers, the SP-BS41 which are 6 ohms with sensitivity of 87. The built in amp would have no problem with this yes?

Any quarks I should know about before diving in?
post #375 of 3958 Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM

The 867 adds 5 W per channel and network capabilities such as Dlna and Internet radio in addition to the second HDMI output.
post #376 of 3958 Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post

Howdy guys, could you help me pick between the RX-V667 or the RX-V867? I know with the RX-V867 you get the second hdmi output but what else is different? Also Does these receivers support HD radio? I cannot find a yes or no to this to save my life! I'm going to be running these with the Pioneer speakers, the SP-BS41 which are 6 ohms with sensitivity of 87. The built in amp would have no problem with this yes?

Take a look into the denon 3311ci, you can have it for about the same price of the 867, I move from the 663 the denon and the is a huge difference in performance, audyssay calibration works better than ypao.

post #377 of 3958 Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I can not think of anything that I have seen posted more than this question. It's almost tiring as there is information on it everywhere.

He was justing trying to get info. Mabey a newbee. Think about not posting after drinking.
post #378 of 3958 Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post

No HD radio on the V867 (pissed me off). Buy a tuner if it's important, like an old Radio Shack (Gigaware) HD radio/iPod Dock on eBay for around $50. I love mine. 100% better than the built-in tuner. The V867 supports internet streaming radio from a lot of stations world-wide.

http://yradio.vtuner.com/setupapp/ya...gin/SignIn.asp

or just look at www.vtuner.com

Good new: a lot of stations. Bad news: the link stays active after turning off the input. Maybe that's ok for you. I power off my V867 to kill it. And you can, with the web site, set up your favorite stations. Only stereo. I emailed them asking for 5.1 upgrades. The sound is good especially on HD stations. No WiFi, only wired. Also, no screen saver like Pandora.

Then there is Rhap$ody. No experience there, but it looks charming.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...x/?mode=series

There you go.
post #379 of 3958 Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfox View Post

He was justing trying to get info. Mabey a newbee. Think about not posting after drinking.

Wise advice. I try to not turn on my computer after dark. It can get really expensive.
post #380 of 3958 Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Good new: a lot of stations. Bad news: the link stays active after turning off the input. Maybe that's ok for you. I power off my V867 to kill it. And you can, with the web site, set up your favorite stations. Only stereo. I emailed them asking for 5.1 upgrades.

You want 5.1 sound from internet radio? The network input is connected as a stereo analog input (at least that's how it works on older models), so maybe you can get matrixed surround but no discrete 5.1.
post #381 of 3958 Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spturtle View Post

You want 5.1 sound from internet radio? The network input is connected as a stereo analog input (at least that's how it works on older models), so maybe you can get matrixed surround but no discrete 5.1.

I hope it gets better. All those streaming video movies sent by Amazon and Netflix: just stereo? Guess I'll need to stick with an SACD in my BR player. Maybe I'm asking too much too soon. Someday. I can hope that technology catches up and a market is created.
post #382 of 3958 Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfox View Post
I understand. I was looking for the same information 6 months ago. When i googled it I realized, wow, this question is asked a lot... good thing... that means it's REALLY easy to find the answer on my own. .

I don't mind people asking for advice, as I do ALL the time, but some things are super easy to look up on your own. Google it once and you'll see what I mean.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #383 of 3958 Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM

I just received a Yamaha RX-V867 and would like to connect it to my WiFi network. (i.e. no Ethernet ports nearby). Has anyone had any success using a WiFi Access point with the Yamaha receivers and what Brand and Model worked best for you?

Thanks!

--
Michael
post #384 of 3958 Old 11-24-2010, 02:12 PM

Hello all, just found this tread,great as I just got the 667.
And since I have been with the marantz sr 5300 since 05 it's pritty much new stuff to go about in the menu.
quick info about my living room stuff.
Dali 710 front, bw center and audio pro rear.
Soon to come Samsung LE 46 c755
fat PS3
Rotel 980 BX / Rotel 960 BX
Yamaha 667 and Maranz dv6400

Some quick questions.
Yapo set up. On this receiver, you do it once ,right ? Ore can you run it again and place the mic in another sitting position? If so how do I go about it in the menu to combine these settings?

How do I activate 'fake' presence?
And dialog lift, if I got it right it's only possible with 'real' presence front?

Also, I got the dv6400 hooked up with component cables, but I must admit the picture quality when going through the receiver looked, well, not as good as I was expecting. Any menu setup tips from anybody ?
Also the gladiator (us import) on dvd was boxed on the tv. Thought’s on that.

Thanks for watching
LL
LL

Drammen rock city
post #385 of 3958 Old 11-24-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcrowder View Post

I just received a Yamaha RX-V867 and would like to connect it to my WiFi network. (i.e. no Ethernet ports nearby). Has anyone had any success using a WiFi Access point with the Yamaha receivers and what Brand and Model worked best for you?

Thanks!

--
Michael

I haven't made the V867 go wireless. It's wired in to my D-Link 655. If I was going to have a wireless bridge, I would use a D-Link DAP-1522. I would see what products are available from your wireless router company. Check eBay for good prices. Always shop around, be patient, and jump on a good deal since it might be a mistake that will be corrected.
post #386 of 3958 Old 11-25-2010, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Purchased the 667 last week, my first Yamaha piece of equipment and my first receiver since going with separates some years ago.

I got it for HDMI upgrade and for its MCH inputs and pre-outs. Out of the box, connected to my Pioneer 51FD BD player via HDMI, the unit impressed me right off the bat. It drives my 4- and 8-ohm Totem Rainmaker speakers with ease, and OSD setup is great.

The real surprise came today, when I used the auto speaker setup. YPAO is amazing. Even though it set my small speakers to large, I am thrilled with the sound and may very well keep the settings as is.
post #387 of 3958 Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Liked: 11
This is a great receiver....especially for the money. Came from a Marantz SR-7400. The set-up is easy. Love the HDMI pass-through. It has very good sound quality and drives my 6 ohm PSB speakers with no problem. The unit only gets moderatly warm where as my Marantz got so hot that I had to put a fan on it. I use the ipod dock and like having a secure place to place my device into. I also like being able to control it with the receiver remote, view all the info on my display, and know that it charges the ipod even with the receiver off. The dock makes things safer and neater as opposed to the direct wire hook-up of other brands (no ipod just laying around with a wire hooked into it). An excellent value!
post #388 of 3958 Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 PM

I picked up a RX-V667 Today
to replace my 8 year old Pioneer VSX-C301S
that i was very happy with apart from it didnt have hdmi

If i set the volume to full on the amp i get hissing that is quite loud
it starts at around -4

To verify it wasnt problems with anything in my settings
i pulled everything apart from the speakers set the amp to phono
and Pure Direct, Non active channels are no good to test as it mutes the amp without saying anything

It still did it
Does everyone else's do this?
As my old Pioneer was silent and its really bugging me

With all this talk of quality this and that inside im quite upset
and there seems to have been no mention of this by anyone else in reviews etc

Oh my old amp went from 0 to -100

Old amp i used to run either 40 or 50 depending on ac3 or stereo

This new amp i have to run at around 20 or 30

so the +16.5 Seems rubbish to me and i wouldnt be supprised if my old amp was louder on 0 than the new on on +16
post #389 of 3958 Old 11-26-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonk View Post

I picked up a RX-V667 Today
to replace my 8 year old Pioneer VSX-C301S
that i was very happy with apart from it didnt have hdmi

If i set the volume to full on the amp i get hissing that is quite loud
it starts at around -4

To verify it wasnt problems with anything in my settings
i pulled everything apart from the speakers set the amp to phono
and Pure Direct, Non active channels are no good to test as it mutes the amp without saying anything

It still did it
Does everyone else's do this?
As my old Pioneer was silent and its really bugging me

With all this talk of quality this and that inside im quite upset
and there seems to have been no mention of this by anyone else in reviews etc

Oh my old amp went from 0 to -100

Old amp i used to run either 40 or 50 depending on ac3 or stereo

This new amp i have to run at around 20 or 30

so the +16.5 Seems rubbish to me and i wouldnt be supprised if my old amp was louder on 0 than the new on on +16

When do you get hissing? When you crank the volume with nothing playing or with a source active? How is the source connected? Do you run the auto-calibration? Did you adjust any of the default settings? My father bought an RX-V667 for his Polk speakers and the receiver works great and sounds great.

-20 to -30 is the typical range of volume for his setup as well.

Mark
post #390 of 3958 Old 11-26-2010, 08:26 AM

I have no analog sources
Lets say i have the xbox 360 in the dashboard doing nothing
That hisses

Lets say i have the ps3 paused playing a blu-ray that hisses

I even factory defaulted it
unplugged everything apart from the speakers