"Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
^ Also remember that the crossover only applies to the speakers you have set as Small in the receiver. If the fronts are set as Large the crossover doesn't apply to them. The usual advice is to set everything to Small, but you do have the choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post
Yes you can stop the screen saver. Mine no longer does a screen saver for whatever reason. Not sure what i changed for it though.
Has anyone else been successful in disabling this? It is preventing my projector from automatically shutting down if I step away for a bit.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We always struggle to understand movie dialogue and often must use subtitles. I know that this is sometimes the movie producers fault, but is there a "better" setting that enhances the center speakers handling of spoken word? I see dialogue lift but that is for raising or lowering the percieved height of center sound.
This gets really annoying when scenes go from pillowtalk (turn it up) to gun fire and car chases (turn it down).

So, this may have been the offending setting. I checked what the auto configuration was for the speakers and it had set the center at -4.0. That made an immediate improvement, but will try a movie tonight.

On another subject, do you usually select a decoder and go with it for all inputs/sources or change based on movie/music? I tend to now just annoy anyone watching a movie with me by interrupting the experience by shuffling through the options.

Last edited by dagrace; 02-07-2015 at 08:06 AM. Reason: my own solution
Old 02-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What type of speakers are you using and what center speaker?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Chromecast playing thru speakers instead of tv spkrs

I tried plugging in chromecast in hdmi ports on the receiver but got nothing... shouldn't it work ?

Any idea which option(s) to select to get streaming to play thru the receiver, not tv speakers. Sorry for the seemingly elementary question....
Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have no experience when Chromecast, but it sounds like maybe it's an HDMI and HDMI-ARC setting on the Chromecast. There is a setting on the receiver, as well, for HDMI-ARC. But if you're having difficulty getting a display, that sounds like maybe a wrong output setting, wrong input on the receiver, or a bad cable.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post
I have no experience when Chromecast, but it sounds like maybe it's an HDMI and HDMI-ARC setting on the Chromecast. There is a setting on the receiver, as well, for HDMI-ARC. But if you're having difficulty getting a display, that sounds like maybe a wrong output setting, wrong input on the receiver, or a bad cable.
I can get video fine but audio only comes thru tv speakers instead of my front and center channels.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Oh, sorry I misread. I think the HDMI-Arc setting on the receiver are in the HDMI options in the Setup Menu. I would think there should be something similar under an HDMI menu setting on the Chromecast, or possibly under audio settings. I know I've gotten HDMI-Arc with work the my TV and the receiver, I think had to make sure HDMI-Control was disabled on both devices. There's the possibility that the order in which you turn on the receiver and Chromecast makes a difference, too - but I think when I had that issue it was related to HDMI-Control.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post
Oh, sorry I misread. I think the HDMI-Arc setting on the receiver are in the HDMI options in the Setup Menu. I would think there should be something similar under an HDMI menu setting on the Chromecast, or possibly under audio settings. I know I've gotten HDMI-Arc with work the my TV and the receiver, I think had to make sure HDMI-Control was disabled on both devices. There's the possibility that the order in which you turn on the receiver and Chromecast makes a difference, too - but I think when I had that issue it was related to HDMI-Control.
Thank you.... I'll play with those.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrace View Post
We always struggle to understand movie dialogue and often must use subtitles. I know that this is sometimes the movie producers fault, but is there a "better" setting that enhances the center speakers handling of spoken word? I see dialogue lift but that is for raising or lowering the percieved height of center sound.
This gets really annoying when scenes go from pillowtalk (turn it up) to gun fire and car chases (turn it down).

So, this may have been the offending setting. I checked what the auto configuration was for the speakers and it had set the center at -4.0. That made an immediate improvement, but will try a movie tonight.

On another subject, do you usually select a decoder and go with it for all inputs/sources or change based on movie/music? I tend to now just annoy anyone watching a movie with me by interrupting the experience by shuffling through the options.
Try using "Straight" for everything. Those DSP settings may sound nice at first but always seem to lack "punch", imo. This might be why you're having so much disparity on your center. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help please

Hi guys please accept my apologies for making my first post a request for help, but I am desperate and pulling my hair out. I saw a firmware update for the RX-v667 to 2.05, thought oh that's good and as there was no warnings or information in the PDF with the file I wrote it to my amp, well now I have "Write NG!" I understand that this firmware was only meant for the us or Canadian amps and mine is UK.
It sort of still works but I have no main amps and I have two dashes in the display where the firmware version should be. Please has anyone got a copy of Firmware version 2.04 so I can get back to where I was?
Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgehog View Post
Hi guys please accept my apologies for making my first post a request for help, but I am desperate and pulling my hair out. I saw a firmware update for the RX-v667 to 2.05, thought oh that's good and as there was no warnings or information in the PDF with the file I wrote it to my amp, well now I have "Write NG!" I understand that this firmware was only meant for the us or Canadian amps and mine is UK.
It sort of still works but I have no main amps and I have two dashes in the display where the firmware version should be. Please has anyone got a copy of Firmware version 2.04 so I can get back to where I was?

The obvious question would be in if you knew the firmware was for the US/Canadian models why did you go to all the effort required to copy it to your UK model 667? Ok lesson learned I guess, the hard way I might ad.
Since the unit came out with 2.04 presumably I don't know how anyone would have a copy of it except Yamaha. I would think your question should be asked of Yamaha/UK. I would think it within their rights to say by pushing a firmware upgrade to your receiver that was NOT intended for that receiver that YOU abused your system and not help you at all. In my experience with Yamaha US they are not the most helpful people on a good day and down right rude on a normal day.
Having owned my unit before 2.05 and having installed 2.05 myself I can tell you I do not notice any change from the firmware upgrade. So you were in a hurry to kill your very nice sounding RX-V667 for no good reason at all.
Good luck anyway!

I took the red pill.

Last edited by joe01880; 02-26-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

The same firmware works for all regions, so the problem is not that you have the UK model.

Either you didn't burn the CD correctly and the data was modified in some way, or your player is modifying the data as it sends it to the receiver. If you don't fix this problem then 2.04 (or any other version) will also fail, so you might as well continue with 2.05 that you already downloaded.

When burning the firmware as an audio CD you have to disable any features in the burning software that might modify the data. For example, if you use Window Media Player you have to disable "volume leveling..." in Burn Options. Other software may have different flags.

When you play the CD to update the firmware, you have to turn off any options in the player that might modify the data (upsampling etc.). You need to play it at the original 44.1kHz. It's possible that the player you're using is not suitable for performing a firmware update, in which case you'll need to try another one.

Last edited by kriktsemaj99; 02-26-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well Joe, I have to say that's a very bitter and unwelcoming reply. I didn't find out that the firmware wasn't for the UK model until after I had problems as there is no information at all about that in the documentation with it.

Krik, thank you mate, you are absolutely correct, after I wrote the post yesterday I sat and thought about it and said to myself a 667 is a 667 and it doesn't know if it's in the us or the uk so it should work, I had tried three different players and wrote two different disks. Then I had the idea of putting the file on my NAS and using my satellite boxes media player to play the wav out it's optical connection. Worked perfectly so all is well.

To the Mods, Delete my account I don't want to be on a forum where the first reply is bitchy it shows me this forum is not for me.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well Joe, I have to say that's a very bitter and unwelcoming reply. I didn't find out that the firmware wasn't for the UK model until after I had problems as there is no information at all about that in the documentation with it.

Krik, thank you mate, you are absolutely correct, after I wrote the post yesterday I sat and thought about it and said to myself a 667 is a 667 and it doesn't know if it's in the us or the uk so it should work, I had tried three different players and wrote two different disks. Then I had the idea of putting the file on my NAS and using my satellite boxes media player to play the wav out it's optical connection. Worked perfectly so all is well.

To the Mods, Delete my account I don't want to be on a forum where the first reply is bitchy it shows me this forum is not for me.
There wasn't anything at all bitchy about my reply, would just make sense not to download firmware for a device meant the device for a country different than your own. Had you read the in information included with the download on how to copy and install the firmware properly "
September, 2010

Subject: RX-V667/RX-A700/RX-A800 Firmware Update Version 2.05

Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible

performance and features for your Yamaha RX-V667/RX-A700/A800 AV Receiver. This

firmware improves stability with 3D signals from DirecTV set-top boxes.

Requirements:

􀂋 A personal computer capable of burning an audio CD

􀂋 BD/DVD/CD player* with digital audio connection

(Optical or Coaxial, not HDMI)

*Note

CD PLAYER IS PREFERRED.

Some DVD players use digital filters, which affects the output signal of the

devices. This firmware update may not work with DVD players which use these

digital filters. CD players usually do not use these filters.

CHECK THE UNIT’S FIRMWARE VERSION PRIOR TO THIS UPDATE

If the firmware version is 2.05 or higher, you DO NOT need to perform this update.

How to check your firmware version:

Press and hold the [STRAIGHT] button on the front panel and keep it pressed while you

press the [STANDBY/ON] button. Once the front panel displays "ADVANCED SETUP",

release the [STRAIGHT] button. Then, press and hold the [TONE CONTROL] button for

about 3 seconds until front panel display shows the firmware version.

The following pages contain the firmware update instructions for Yamaha AV receivers

RX-V667/RX-A700/RX-A800. The outline of the update is as follows:

1. Create an update disc (Audio CD)

2. Connect digital audio with CD, DVD or BD player

3. Enter firmware update mode

4. Play the update disc (Reprogramming)

5. Confirm update firmware version

IMPORTANT NOTICE >

Do not attempt to update your Yamaha receiver using any other data file except those provided

directly from the Yamaha website.

Follow the instructions carefully and do not attempt any other procedures not specified in the

instructions provided by Yamaha.

Improperly updated products may cause improper operation, and any parts or service required

to restore proper operation will not be covered under the Yamaha Limited Warranty

You may not have had any issues at all. You could have also searched this thread for the best way to install the firmware to your device including a post or 2 from me.
If I have any issues with you at all is that in your very first post you come asking others to do your homework for you, would you like me to fly to the UK and install it for you next time?
Other than that I also pointed out your first call should have been to Yamaha as the download instructions suggest and or maybe not put firmware on your very fine receiver not intended for it, none of which was nasty or meant to sound harsh in any way, only an attempt to help you out or more correctly point you in the direction to help yourself. Sorry you didn't like the way I did it, not to worry mate, it wont happen again!

Again, good luck!

... what's nasty about wishing someone good luck?

I took the red pill.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wrong Remote for RX-V667?

I believe I made an E-Bay error. I had not used the remote for my receiver in some time, as I've been using the Sony G-TV for the last few years quite happily, and the G-TV remote made the Receiver's remote redundant. So it became missing. I E-bayed a replacement, but believe I purchased the incorrect remote. The RC is labelled RAV296. It has a Sleep button where the receiver's manual indicates a Source|Receiver button should be.

I'm now switching to a Tablo 4 tuner + Roku solution, so I can kill the cable TV. I just need to program the RAV296 remote to turn off my LG TV and the receiver. I can't find how to enter the LG codes I have, as all instructions point to using the Source|Receiver button. All other functions seem compatible so far.

Now that I have an external antenna, I love the Tablo by the way.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 PM

Does anybody know if we are able to access the temp of the receiver? On my Onkyo it was possible and I really found it useful at times.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by slandy View Post
Does anybody know if we are able to access the temp of the receiver? On my Onkyo it was possible and I really found it useful at times.
No. Probably an option on the Onkyo because they're famous for overheating.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 70
just want to throw this out there... i put my 667 in my basement theater room. I just got a VSX-90 for the primary viewing area.

The VSX-90 has some nice bells and whistles and in my opinion is one of maybe 3 affordable hdcp 2.2 receivers.

I wanted to throw THIS out there though, the 667 is better. At 6 years older, its got a better GUI, more intuitive, the remote actually functions. (the remote of the newer receivers are trash, you run everything through an app on your phone).

The only reason I ever dinged the 667 was the lack of HDMI 2nd source for zone 2, but other than that its a beast, I hope mine never dies.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am considering buying the RX-V677. I have read some reviews about HDMI video signal loss. Has this issue been corrected by Yamaha or does it still plague this model?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
^^ Sorry wrong thread. 667 vs 677.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am sure that my chance to get an answer is pretty low given how old this receiver is but nonetheless here it goes.

My old Samsung Plasma died the other day and as a holdover til OLED comes down in price I bought a Vizio.

Problem is my receiver is not getting a signal with the new Vizio. Or something.

Everything is plugged in just as it was with my Samsung through HDMI. Except I can't even get Vizio to acknowledge a signal is being sent.

I really have no clue and am beyond frustrated.

Last edited by jonm1010; 05-19-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm1010 View Post
I am sure that my chance to get an answer is pretty low given how old this receiver is but nonetheless here it goes.

My old Samsung Plasma died the other day and as a holdover til OLED comes down in price I bought a Vizio.

Problem is my receiver is not getting a signal with the new Vizio. Or something.

Everything is plugged in just as it was with my Samsung through HDMI. Except I can't even get Vizio to acknowledge a signal is being sent.

I really have no clue and am beyond frustrated.
Try a different HDMI cable. Try a different input on the tv.
Are you using ARC?
Old 05-20-2015, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Try a different HDMI cable. Try a different input on the tv.
Are you using ARC?
I have tried switching HDMI cables but the main problem is that I can not even get the on screen display because I am just given a "no signal" prompt when on the correct hdmi input.

So I can't go in and change anything around because I can't follow any of the instructions that the instruction manual asks you to do.

I very much appreciate the response.

Last edited by jonm1010; 05-20-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm1010 View Post
I have tried switching HDMI cables but the main problem is that I can not even get the on screen display because I am just given a "no signal" prompt when on the correct hdmi input.

So I can't go in and change anything around because I can't follow any of the instructions that the instruction manual asks you to do.

I very much appreciate the response.
Try different inputs on the 667.
Try different inputs on the tv.
Try a different source.
Try a factory reset on the 667.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:52 PM

Straight from the manual : " This unit is configured for 8ohm speakers at the factory setting. When connecting to 6ohm speakers, carry out the following procedure to withc to 6ohm. When this unit is configured to 6ohm speakers, 4ohm speakers can also be used as the front speakers"

Has anyone tried 4ohm Center Channel speakers with the 667 ? Could yoo get away with it ? or it will shut down due to overheating and protection mode?

I was thinking about the KEF Reference Model 200c (4ohm-90db) and the Reference Model 90 (6hom-87db)

"At the Core , its all about the music" S. Jobs
Old 05-31-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnogadget View Post
Straight from the manual : " This unit is configured for 8ohm speakers at the factory setting. When connecting to 6ohm speakers, carry out the following procedure to withc to 6ohm. When this unit is configured to 6ohm speakers, 4ohm speakers can also be used as the front speakers"

Has anyone tried 4ohm Center Channel speakers with the 667 ? Could yoo get away with it ? or it will shut down due to overheating and protection mode?

I was thinking about the KEF Reference Model 200c (4ohm-90db) and the Reference Model 90 (6hom-87db)
You could get away with it but you may run into issues if you listen at reference levels for an extended period of time.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
You could get away with it but you may run into issues if you listen at reference levels for an extended period of time.
I listen to movies usually at -15db, -13db. Max volume when watching a movie has been -10db. Min volume -19db DTS MA-DOLBY TRUE HD tracks. My front speakers are 93db efficient, maybe thats why i've never listened to reference level 0db.

"At the Core , its all about the music" S. Jobs

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers