"Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

JoeKustra's Avatar JoeKustra
07:02 AM Liked: 132
post #451 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 6,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJomiester View Post

Took the plunge with a 667 yesterday after a month of reading reviews, opinions, etc. Got my shortlist to either the Yamaha or the Denon AVR-791, as those two seemed to be the safest bets for great sound and reliability.

This is my first AVR, and it's replacing an HTIB setup in my TV room. So far, I am very happy with the 667. Got my speakers all run (energy take classic 5.1), and hooked up my sony 3d, ps3, and cable box to the 667 last night. Ran yamaha's Mic setup and SOUNDS great!!!!

I'll be doing some fine tuning today, including assigning the "scene buttons" so any suggestions in that regard would be great, as my only complaint about the unit thus far is the cd manual, which seems very unclear. It also sucks having to go back and forth to my PC to read it!

So far, though, I am very pleased with the 667.

I too am very pleased (I have an 867). Some comments. The ARC is nice, but should you turn off the Yamaha, your TV speakers will turn on (if the TV has HDMI Control enabled). I don't. The manual on CD probably probably saved some trees, but it's tough to use. Even printed out I find it hard stuff but better than the CD. But with the CD you can enlarge some of those tiny footnotes that have the most valuable data. I also went to #14 speaker wires. I use clear color so they barely show. I have a small rug covering an open run, but there is not simple solution that doesn't have a power drill in it somewhere.

I have been working on making the scene buttons more effective. A tip I learned on this thread is to set all the parameters for an input, then hold down the scene button you want to assign for a few seconds. That will make your changes permanent for that button. So when I push TV, the sound jumps to AV4 (optical) and the label "TV Sound" displays. Since I have more devices than buttons, it's not perfect but I love the unit.
Mkard's Avatar Mkard
09:31 AM Liked: 13
post #452 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalsalem View Post

thanks all for replies, here are my thoughts after your inputs
- I don't have non-HDMI devices required to be connect "all the time", yes could do on rare occasions but will not be a permenant setup for me
- even if required, i don't mind extra cables going around
- OSD is really a nice feture in 667, tempting, But I am "hoping" to live without it, specally setup should be done once at the start, then from time to time. right?
- I am realley tempted to go for the 667 but since in my country the difference between both models is about 300$, I am trying to convince my self to go for the 467. Unless I will be losing much Sound quality and/or overall sound and image performance. (I will use it for prolonged amount of times so will heat affect performance?)

Hiya khalsalem,
For what its worth, I bought a 567 recently and was not enamored of the sound quality. Returned to dealer. I imagine that the 467 wouldn't be much better. At the time the speakers were easy to drive Paradigm Atoms that were sweet with an old non-hdmi Yamaha but lacked depth with the 567.
At local store I test-listened a 667 and found much improvement. As good sound to full range speakers as a comparable Denon (@$150 higher, can't remember model) Decided to save @ 3 bills by going with a Yamaha 765 as sound was very nice and I haven't the need for a lot of the bells and whistles that come with the x67's.
As always YMMV.
May have something to do with discrete amplifiers used in 765 and 667. Both are the lower edge of Yamaha's discrete amp models for the respective years.

Good luck,
Mike
lovingdvd's Avatar lovingdvd
10:23 AM Liked: 81
post #453 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

Hiya khalsalem,
For what its worth, I bought a 567 recently and was not enamored of the sound quality. Returned to dealer. I imagine that the 467 wouldn't be much better. At the time the speakers were easy to drive Paradigm Atoms that were sweet with an old non-hdmi Yamaha but lacked depth with the 567.
At local store I test-listened a 667 and found much improvement. As good sound to full range speakers as a comparable Denon (@$150 higher, can't remember model) Decided to save @ 3 bills by going with a Yamaha 765 as sound was very nice and I haven't the need for a lot of the bells and whistles that come with the x67's.
As always YMMV.
May have something to do with discrete amplifiers used in 765 and 667. Both are the lower edge of Yamaha's discrete amp models for the respective years.

Good luck,
Mike

Thanks for the report. It is interesting to hear that you thought the 667 sounded noticeably better than the 567. I thought the only real difference was the rated power. Although I think the 667 has the Burr Brown whatever compared to the 567, I didn't think it could make that much of a difference. What else could it be?
BrianMan's Avatar BrianMan
12:46 PM Liked: 10
post #454 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 13
I just purchased a RX-V867 for my new basement theater and have tried to get it to work with the Monoprice HDMI over Cat6 cables I ran during the construction. These work great when connected directly to the display via the HDMI over Cat6 cables but I'm having a lot of trouble when trying to set up with the Yamaha receiver. Nothing with the PS3 and only 480p with my DirecTV receiver and this is dropping out all the time. I've checked the receiver with a direct connection to a monitor and it is outputting fine. Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to return the receiver : (
Mkard's Avatar Mkard
12:52 PM Liked: 13
post #455 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks for the report. It is interesting to hear that you thought the 667 sounded noticeably better than the 567. I thought the only real difference was the rated power. Although I think the 667 has the Burr Brown whatever compared to the 567, I didn't think it could make that much of a difference. What else could it be?

I didn't recall that the 567 lacked Burr-Brown DAC's while the 667 had them, might well be so. I do know that the total power consumption on the 567 was something less than 300 watts, compared to 400 something I think for the 667 and the 765. Makes a 7 channel amplifier "rated" at 95 wpc kinda hard to do, eh? I think it is called the ratings game!!

Yamaha literature for both 765 and 667 both feature "discrete amplification" for each channel, 567 and below lacks that in the Yamaha web site. I do know that with the same speakers in our home, the 765 produced a sound that was much more pleasing to my boss, who can actually hear properly compared to her husband who has spent way too much time around helicopters and MG's. If she's happy, I am .

And, as always... your mileage may vary.(YMMV)

Semper Fi

Mike
iamjason's Avatar iamjason
09:43 PM Liked: 14
post #456 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 305
i have had the 667 for about a month and am enjoying it - very easy to use, menus are great - love the zone 2 for the patio in the back yard. I get the sound settings for music but am having a hard time deciding what i like with the movie scenes. i have 2 fronts (jbl l880) a center (jbl cl2) and to rears that came mounted to the ceiling when I bought the house.

I am having a hard time getting the surround feel. to me it sounds best if i put it in 7 channel to get a more surround experience but not the true back and forth that i would expect on the other modes.

any advice on the best sound setting options for movies would be rgeat -

thanks!
10:07 PM Liked: 132
post #457 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 6,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMan View Post

I just purchased a RX-V867 for my new basement theater and have tried to get it to work with the Monoprice HDMI over Cat6 cables I ran during the construction. These work great when connected directly to the display via the HDMI over Cat6 cables but I'm having a lot of trouble when trying to set up with the Yamaha receiver. Nothing with the PS3 and only 480p with my DirecTV receiver and this is dropping out all the time. I've checked the receiver with a direct connection to a monitor and it is outputting fine. Is there anything I can do? Or do I have to return the receiver : (

This may mean nothing, but the output of the V867 is 480p when the current HDMI input is missing or turned off. I wish I could help more but all my HDMI inputs are working perfectly. I don't have any analog inputs. I hope you get it working. It's a nice piece of equipment.
keyoctave's Avatar keyoctave
10:10 PM Liked: 11
post #458 of 3993
12-06-2010 | Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJomiester View Post

......... It also sucks having to go back and forth to my PC to read it!

So far, though, I am very pleased with the 667.

I did not like the CD manual/PC stuff either so I used FedEx office and had it printed. Much more convenient!
qwiksilvertrav's Avatar qwiksilvertrav
12:35 AM Liked: 10
post #459 of 3993
12-07-2010 | Posts: 39
Also have a 867...love it so far. Overall a great purchase for the 550 I got it for.
My dad got the same reciever also. Now my problem is regarding streaming music via my network.
My dad has Windows 7 and has WMP 12 while I'm on XP with WMP 11. I'm basically only able to browse music via my 867 interface. However I cannot be on my pc and simply add music to the Yamaha playlist. My dad is able to do this with WMP 12 that is only compatable (to my knowledge) with Windows 7. He also has a remote media server that I'm able to connect to and have access to over 20 TB of music. I can't stream any of it though like he can due to having WMP 11!
So my big question is are there any media players out there that can share media with the Yamaha but can also have this function I want? Anyone else run into this problem yet?
07:39 AM Liked: 132
post #460 of 3993
12-07-2010 | Posts: 6,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilvertrav View Post
Also have a 867...love it so far. Overall a great purchase for the 550 I got it for.
My dad got the same reciever also. Now my problem is regarding streaming music via my network.
My dad has Windows 7 and has WMP 12 while I'm on XP with WMP 11. I'm basically only able to browse music via my 867 interface. However I cannot be on my pc and simply add music to the Yamaha playlist. My dad is able to do this with WMP 12 that is only compatable (to my knowledge) with Windows 7. He also has a remote media server that I'm able to connect to and have access to over 20 TB of music. I can't stream any of it though like he can due to having WMP 11!
So my big question is are there any media players out there that can share media with the Yamaha but can also have this function I want? Anyone else run into this problem yet?
I have little experience in this area, but I don't undertand the statement:

"However I cannot be on my pc and simply add music to the Yamaha playlist"

I used my XP desktop with WMP 11 and (while showing playlists on the Yamaha) made a new list and gave it a name. After a few seconds the playlist on the OSD refreshed itself and the new playlist appeared and I could stream it. In other words, on the V867, I can stream anything that WMP 11 supports. On my laptop with Win7 and WMP 12, there are more options.

Microsoft does not have a WMP 12 for XP on their website.
qwiksilvertrav's Avatar qwiksilvertrav
08:48 PM Liked: 10
post #461 of 3993
12-07-2010 | Posts: 39
What I meant was more specifically was the "play to" function of WMP 12. You just right click on a song and send it to the yamaha window. It's also able to generate random playlists etc if you're just sitting on your pc.

For now I think I'll just create and save play lists but it's nice to throw some music on the Yamaha on the "fly" from the PC and not on the Yamaha OSD. I have to admit browsing with the Yamaha is a pain...and there's no way to add music to list using the OSD of the Yamaha from what I can tell. It's just one song at a time. I'll mess with it. But eventually I think I may need to just upgrade to Windows 7 and get WMP 12. Or I could get a different player that supports DLNA which I guess is what that "play to" function on WMP 12 simply is.
mdk2000's Avatar mdk2000
05:29 PM Liked: 10
post #462 of 3993
12-08-2010 | Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

See pages 41 & 77 of the manual. HDMI-1 is preset to Yamaha BD player and drama, so first you must cancel this setting. Go to On-Screen menu and select Scenes. Click on BD/DVD scene. Then clilck on Load. Then press Details. You must then un-check the Yamaha BD selection and set details to Off. You can NOW select what ever DSP mode you wish, or even select Straight, and by holding down a Scene button for three seconds, it will stick.

OK, I've checked with the Yamaha rep and he said that only the input and dsp setting could be saved for the scene buttons on the remote. You can't do individual settings for the setup like different cross-over or large/small for centre speakers for each scene button, as any changes to those will only be universal.
hearrean's Avatar hearrean
07:18 PM Liked: 11
post #463 of 3993
12-08-2010 | Posts: 1,526
I've done a search within this thread & didn't see this mentioned. I currently have a RX-V661 & will be upgrading to a 667 for Christmas. Currently I have my 661 set up as a 6.1 set-up where I have my (2) rear SS channels/speakers + (1) center rear in-wall. I want to set the 667 up the same way. Will that be a problem? And if not, do I hook it up the same way? I didn't know if this configuration would be covered in the manual.

Ken
07:37 PM Liked: 11
post #464 of 3993
12-08-2010 | Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You really shouldn't be contemplating using the video processing on either one. Your display has much better video processing and scaling. I wouldn't even use the analog-HDMI conversion on these models since that's the step where the most damage is done. Just pass the signal through as analog or bypass the AVR completely for video.

Whoops...I just now read this & have a concern. I was planning on upgrading my 661 to the 667 for Christmas; actually my wife already purchased it for me & doesn't know that I know. With my 661, I have my SAT STB & BD Player each going into the 661 via HDMI cables & then (1) HDMI out from the 661 to my Samsung display. Based upon what you're saying here though, with the 667, I shouldn't do the same thing? In other words, the 667 won't simply pass the video to my display like the 661 does? I hope that's not the case, since I really didn't want to have to go back to using optical for audio, which is what I'd have to do in that case.

Ken
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes
09:23 PM Liked: 264
post #465 of 3993
12-08-2010 | Posts: 16,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

Whoops...I just now read this & have a concern. I was planning on upgrading my 661 to the 667 for Christmas; actually my wife already purchased it for me & doesn't know that I know. With my 661, I have my SAT STB & BD Player each going into the 661 via HDMI cables & then (1) HDMI out from the 661 to my Samsung display. Based upon what you're saying here though, with the 667, I shouldn't do the same thing? In other words, the 667 won't simply pass the video to my display like the 661 does? I hope that's not the case, since I really didn't want to have to go back to using optical for audio, which is what I'd have to do in that case.

Ken

I'll pass the video unchanged if you set it to do that.
moshster's Avatar moshster
09:57 PM Liked: 10
post #466 of 3993
12-08-2010 | Posts: 132
Hey guys, I thought I saw the post somewhere in this thread but I can't seem to find it, how do you configure both component inputs to output over the HDMI? I have an older XBOX 360 connected to AV1 and a Cable box (waiting for my new HDMI cables to arrive to change this to HDMI) connected to AV2.
The cable box outputs fine over the HDMI output however the XBOX does not. I thought I saw someone said this is by design out of the box and you have to change some settings so AV1 will do the same as AV2 (outpout over HDMI). I really don't want to run a component video cable to the TV just for the XBOX.

Config:
RX-V667 firmware 2.05
Single HDMI Connected to Samsung UN65C8000 via HDMI 1.4 CEC
Scientific Atlanta HDMI cable box connected to AV2 component with coxial SPDIF (will change to HDMI2 input)
XBOX360 connected to AV1 component video with fiber SPDIF
Windows 7 Media Center connected ot HDMI 1 (Blu Ray drive, Cyberlink 10 3D software etc)
Samsung 3D blu ray player (will be on HDMI 3), trying to eleminate this device completely by using the media center for all blu ray playback, haven't perfected the 3d output yet due to what may be video card limitations (not HDMI 1.4) so this is my 3d BluRay playback device...
mhcrowder's Avatar mhcrowder
05:49 AM Liked: 10
post #467 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 14
I've just received my RX-V867 receiver and I'm getting everything hooked up and setup. So far I am REAL happy with the receiver. There is one piece I hope someone can help with. I'm using the receiver to switch HDMI sources between two HDMI outputs (TV & Projector). I'd prefer the Volume setting not to be displayed on the screen when it is changed.(i.e. during a movie, I don't want the volume setting to display if I bump of the volume a little).

Is this Possible?

--
Michael
spturtle's Avatar spturtle
07:11 AM Liked: 10
post #468 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksilvertrav View Post
What I meant was more specifically was the "play to" function of WMP 12. You just right click on a song and send it to the yamaha window. It's also able to generate random playlists etc if you're just sitting on your pc.

For now I think I'll just create and save play lists but it's nice to throw some music on the Yamaha on the "fly" from the PC and not on the Yamaha OSD. I have to admit browsing with the Yamaha is a pain...and there's no way to add music to list using the OSD of the Yamaha from what I can tell. It's just one song at a time. I'll mess with it. But eventually I think I may need to just upgrade to Windows 7 and get WMP 12. Or I could get a different player that supports DLNA which I guess is what that "play to" function on WMP 12 simply is.
There are other upnp AV (=DLNA) servers that can stream music to a yamaha receiver. I guess you need a dedicated "control point" or a media server with built-in control point, see wikipedia. That feature probably doesn't work at all on my RX-V2065 - I tried with some app on my phone and windows 7's media player.

Would it help if you could control the receiver's "PC" input from your computer? I wrote a little application to control my receiver and for the PC input it works a bit better than the receiver's own controls (IMHO) because I don't need to grab the remote and it's easier to scroll through a long list. If the 867 uses the same network control protocol I can add support for it to my app.
08:47 AM Liked: 132
post #469 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 6,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcrowder View Post
I've just received my RX-V867 receiver and I'm getting everything hooked up and setup. So far I am REAL happy with the receiver. There is one piece I hope someone can help with. I'm using the receiver to switch HDMI sources between two HDMI outputs (TV & Projector). I'd prefer the Volumne setting not to be displayed on the screen when it is changed.(i.e. during a movie, I don't want the volume setting to display if I bump of the volume a little).

Is this Possible?

--
Michael
Hi Michael. So far: no.
lovingdvd's Avatar lovingdvd
11:23 AM Liked: 81
post #470 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 9,098
Quote:

I've just received my RX-V867 receiver and I'm getting everything hooked up and setup. So far I am REAL happy with the receiver. There is one piece I hope someone can help with. I'm using the receiver to switch HDMI sources between two HDMI outputs (TV & Projector). I'd prefer the Volumne setting not to be displayed on the screen when it is changed.(i.e. during a movie, I don't want the volume setting to display if I bump of the volume a little).

Is this Possible?

--
Michael

Several other people have asked for this to be turned off as well, and from everything I've read it cannot be disabled. Personally I like having it, and its one of the main reasons I upgraded from an earlier Yamaha model. But surely they should provide a way to disable it for those who don't want it (simple enough). You may want to contact Yamaha - if enough people ask maybe they'll add it as an option via the firmware.
12:31 PM Liked: 10
post #471 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 14
Wow, I thought I looked through all 16 pages, I missed that! I must have misspelled something in my search.

I have sent a note to Yamaha support. If they say anything interesting I'll pass it along.

Thanks Everyone!

--
Michael
02:56 PM Liked: 11
post #472 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 1,526
Quote:

I've done a search within this thread & didn't see this mentioned. I currently have a RX-V661 & will be upgrading to a 667 for Christmas. Currently I have my 661 set up as a 6.1 set-up where I have my (2) rear SS channels/speakers + (1) center rear in-wall. I want to set the 667 up the same way. Will that be a problem? And if not, do I hook it up the same way? I didn't know if this configuration would be covered in the manual.

Ken

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,

Ken
wcmlutz's Avatar wcmlutz
03:22 PM Liked: 10
post #473 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 169
Quote:

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,

Ken

Look on page 85 of the manual, that is where you assign the surround back channels. You have a choice of 0, 1, or 2 surround backs in small or large configuration. Just connect your 1 surround back speaker to the top set of surround back binding posts at the back of the receiver and you should be set. You can use either the 5.1 or the 7.1 setting, the receiver will either up mix the 5.1 or down mix the 7.1 signals.
05:36 PM Liked: 11
post #474 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz View Post

Look on page 85 of the manual, that is where you assign the surround back channels. You have a choice of 0, 1, or 2 surround backs in small or large configuration. Just connect your 1 surround back speaker to the top set of surround back binding posts at the back of the receiver and you should be set. You can use either the 5.1 or the 7.1 setting, the receiver will either up mix the 5.1 or down mix the 7.1 signals.

Thanks for the info. Since I haven't received the 667 yet, I don't have the manual to look at.

Ken
wcmlutz's Avatar wcmlutz
06:49 PM Liked: 10
post #475 of 3993
12-09-2010 | Posts: 169
You can get a PDF of the manual on Yamaha's website.
04:04 PM Liked: 10
post #476 of 3993
12-10-2010 | Posts: 14
I ordered a Netgear WNCE2001 Ethernet Port Universal WiFi Internet Adapter for my receiver and it has worked great! I configured it with a PC, connected it to the receiver and the unit immediately connected.

--
Michael

Quote:

I just received a Yamaha RX-V867 and would like to connect it to my WiFi network. (i.e. no Ethernet ports nearby). Has anyone had any success using a WiFi Access point with the Yamaha receivers and what Brand and Model worked best for you?

Thanks!

--
Michael

04:09 PM Liked: 10
post #477 of 3993
12-10-2010 | Posts: 14
I contacted tech support and they confirmed that there is currently no way to disable the on-screen volume indicator. He did indicate that Yamaha USA is pushing for a change due to demand.

I would highly recommend contacting tech support to request this option if you haven't already!

Quote:

I have sent a note to Yamaha support. If they say anything interesting I'll pass it along.

khalsalem's Avatar khalsalem
03:32 AM Liked: 10
post #478 of 3993
12-11-2010 | Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkard View Post

Hiya khalsalem,
As always YMMV.

Good luck,
Mike

thanks,
I made up my mind and Got the 667
I completed the setup, and everything looks (sounds) fine so far, given that I have old speakers,
I loved the OSD really helps with setup as stated, I used YAPO for initial setup then made my fine adjustments,

I have 5.0 setup, no sub. fronts as Large
my speakers are Really old since my very old Sony HT
- 2 Fronts: Sony 3 Way, Bass-Reflex type (whatever this means) woofer 8 cm (3 Inch) and Subwoofer 20 cm (8 Inches) tweeter 2.5 all cone type, Impedence 6 ohms
- 2 surround and 1 center: 2 way, 8 ohms

I don't raise the volume so high (medium room) I reach max 10 Db,

my quesions
1) do I need a sub? am I missing a lot without a sub? will the sub enhance the movie and PS3 experience, will it take the burden out from the fronts to geberate the bass, so the sound will be better/clear at the fronts.
2) should I only get a Sub or should I completely change all my speakers set?
in case you advice to replace speakers, I am thinking of a set unders 500$r like
- Klipsch HD 500 5.1
- Energy Take Classic 5.1
- Harman Kardon HKTS-15 5.1
- any other recommendations?
3) if I can only get a SUb to add to current speakers set, what is your recommendations - Why Subs "alone" are so expensive?
centauro74's Avatar centauro74
04:14 AM Liked: 13
post #479 of 3993
12-11-2010 | Posts: 604
You should get a sub, amazon has the Polk audio psw505 for a nice price. Or if you want something stronger and better the epik legend will blow your socks off.
06:42 AM Liked: 132
post #480 of 3993
12-11-2010 | Posts: 6,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalsalem View Post

thanks,
I made up my mind and Got the 667

3) if I can only get a SUb to add to current speakers set, what is your recommendations - Why Subs "alone" are so expensive?

A powered sub has electronics in it to both amplify the signal and turn off the power if no signal has been received for a period of time. I would NOT recommend a Sony since it has a loud relay when turning off and it turns off too easy.

But any sub is better than no sub, especially if your content has LFE encoding.
Tags: Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers

Gear in this thread - V667 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread