"Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3953 Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem: I switch to the dock in zone 2 and hit record to get it into simple control mode the play, skip rewind controls all seem to work but the menu navigation controls(return, enter, up and down) don't. Everything works fine in zone 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3953 Old 12-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Liked: 10
I've been enjoying my 667 now for over a month. All appears and sounds well. my sources are a Yamaha BD, Cable from the TV, and an Apple TV, also an iPhone dock.

Question, How do i know that the audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3)? Everything I read always talks about various Dolby PL, PLII... Isn't that ProLogic meaning matrix surround? Or is my terminology outdated?

It all sounds correct. In fact the other night we were watching something and someone knocked on the door, in the video. My wife actually thought it was the front door as it came from that direction and not from our front speakers. Love it

I've ran the AUTO setup several times with consistent, and quite good results. I'm happy, just confused by the PL.

-JD-
post #543 of 3953 Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdenning View Post

I've been enjoying my 667 now for over a month. All appears and sounds well. my sources are a Yamaha BD, Cable from the TV, and an Apple TV, also an iPhone dock.

Question, How do i know that the audio is Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC3)? Everything I read always talks about various Dolby PL, PLII... Isn't that ProLogic meaning matrix surround? Or is my terminology outdated?

It all sounds correct. In fact the other night we were watching something and someone knocked on the door, in the video. My wife actually thought it was the front door as it came from that direction and not from our front speakers. Love it

I've ran the AUTO setup several times with consistent, and quite good results. I'm happy, just confused by the PL.

The way to see what the unit thinks: On Screen-> Information->Audio Signal. You should see enough data to answer the question. If not, ask anytime. Yeah, the sound is good. You can kill a few hours doing research on the various delivery systems.
post #544 of 3953 Old 12-25-2010, 04:30 PM

I got the 667 a month ago, and today, as I was testing out the new denon bdp 1611 blu ray player vs my 'fat' ps3,to se if there were any big picture improvments. I hooked the denon to the front (v-aux) hdmi so I could easy unplugg it(the ps3 is in hdmi 1 at the back) But after a short while my samsung tv lost signal.the signal from ps3 was ok(when pressing hdmi button 1 at the remote) back to v-aux, no signal. Turn the denon on and off, and we were back in action, for a few minutes.Also the picture were getting 'stars' all over,ore wery light snow if you know what I mean, then lost signal.Took the hdmi out of the v-aux port and straight into hdmi 4 in the tv, and all good. I also notice when switching to v-aux I get a buzzing sound from the speakers at -20 and down.

Drammen rock city
post #545 of 3953 Old 12-26-2010, 03:26 AM

Total audio newb here, so sorry for the real basic questions, but we recently replaced a 6 year old Denon receiver with a Yamaha 667 and it seems awesome, definitely love the additional inputs, but I would just like to know that we are configured somewhat optimally. Wondering what are the best basic settings for:

Cable
Xbox 360
Bluray

We have an older 5.1 setup- 4 satellite Infinity speakers and a subwoofer and am fine with it, but I really don't know what the difference is between Cinema DSP, Dolby II and down the line. Can any offer a few basic tips?
post #546 of 3953 Old 12-26-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking at getting in on the Buy.com sale today for the 667 (it's $378.99 with free shipping). This will replace my Harman Kardon AVR-435, which while great, doesn't have HDMI or support the lossless codecs.

I am hooking up a PS3 for Blu-Ray (HDMI), a FiOS DVR (HDMI), a Wii (Component video/RCA sound), and my XBOX 360 (Component/Optical).

Got a quick question....I really want to eliminate as many cables as I can. This may be a dumb question, but will the receiver be able to take the component inputs and output via HDMI to the TV, or will I still need to run the Component cable from the receiver to the TV for my XBOX and Wii?

I plan on upgrading my XBOX to an HDMI model, but right now I'm stuck with the older one.

Also, it appears from Yamaha's site that this receiver does support 3D, correct? Even though I don't really have any interest in that right now since I don't have a 3D TV, I may want it in a year or two and not sure I'll want to re-upgrade my receiver again.
post #547 of 3953 Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I am looking at getting in on the Buy.com sale today for the 667 (it's $378.99 with free shipping). This will replace my Harman Kardon AVR-435, which while great, doesn't have HDMI or support the lossless codecs.

I am hooking up a PS3 for Blu-Ray (HDMI), a FiOS DVR (HDMI), a Wii (Component video/RCA sound), and my XBOX 360 (Component/Optical).

Got a quick question....I really want to eliminate as many cables as I can. This may be a dumb question, but will the receiver be able to take the component inputs and output via HDMI to the TV, or will I still need to run the Component cable from the receiver to the TV for my XBOX and Wii?

I plan on upgrading my XBOX to an HDMI model, but right now I'm stuck with the older one.

Also, it appears from Yamaha's site that this receiver does support 3D, correct? Even though I don't really have any interest in that right now since I don't have a 3D TV, I may want it in a year or two and not sure I'll want to re-upgrade my receiver again.

I got my marantz dv6400 hooked up with component cabel ,and output via hdmi. and yes to 3d to.

Drammen rock city
post #548 of 3953 Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post

I got the 667 a month ago, and today, as I was testing out the new denon bdp 1611 blu ray player vs my 'fat' ps3,to se if there were any big picture improvments. I hooked the denon to the front (v-aux) hdmi so I could easy unplugg it(the ps3 is in hdmi 1 at the back) But after a short while my samsung tv lost signal.the signal from ps3 was ok(when pressing hdmi button 1 at the remote) back to v-aux, no signal. Turn the denon on and off, and we were back in action, for a few minutes.Also the picture were getting 'stars' all over,ore wery light snow if you know what I mean, then lost signal.Took the hdmi out of the v-aux port and straight into hdmi 4 in the tv, and all good. I also notice when switching to v-aux I get a buzzing sound from the speakers at -20 and down.

here is the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFKHF__M9s

Drammen rock city
post #549 of 3953 Old 12-26-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmekker View Post

I got my marantz dv6400 hooked up with component cabel ,and output via hdmi. and yes to 3d to.

Ordered. Thanks!
post #550 of 3953 Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 83
When using Movie or Music Modes there are programed speaker calculations(cinema DSP parameters).
I was wondering if they are pre-programed or if they are based off of YPAO.
Thanks.
post #551 of 3953 Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM

I just got a new Sony BD for Xmas and decided it was time for a new receiver today. My setup is as follows:

Original receiver was a Marantz SR7300
Panasonic Plasma via component
Xbox360 via component
Cable box (Cisco/SA Explorer 8642) via component

Since I have no more component inputs on the Marantz, I decided to get a new receiver and run the BD via HDMI. Went to Best Buy and got it on sale for $519. Hooked everything up and loved it until I tried the BD player. Sound came through but no video. My guess is that it will not accept HDMI video and output it to component??

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

- geoff
post #552 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just received the 667 and cannot find in the manual where there is much of a description on the purpose of the Scene Buttons. I only have (2) sources; a BD player and a SAT HD STB. If I was planning on running my SAT STB via HDMI into HDMI1, my BD player via HDMI into HDMI2 & then HDMI Out to my Display, where exactly do the Scene Buttons come into play?

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #553 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post

Hooked everything up and loved it until I tried the BD player. Sound came through but no video. My guess is that it will not accept HDMI video and output it to component??

That's correct, HDMI inputs have to be sent to the TV using HDMI.
post #554 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Hello,

I am Arnold from the Netherlands and i am new to this forum.
Recently i purchased an RX-V667 receiver together with 2 monitor audio speakers (bi wiring).
Everything seems to be fine but i was wondering, the front speakers are 6 ohm and the surround speakers are 8 ohm. Should i set the receiver at 6 ohm or should i let it at the standard setting, i think 8 ohm?

I hooked up my ps3 on hdmi1 and my dreambox 800hd(hd sat receiver) on hdmi2
Now if i want to watch tv without sound and listen to some nice music that isn't possible.
Probably the only way to do so is to hookup the dm 800hd directly to my tv, and let the sound go through an optical cable to the Yamaha receiver.

But if i do so, would i be going down on sound quality?
Or is there an other way to do so.

Thanks,
post #555 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The 6ohm vs 8ohm question comes up a lot, and the advice seems to be leave it at 8ohms.

For the sat receiver, it should only output audio formats that can be carried by optical as well as HDMI. So you should get full sound quality using optical.
post #556 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Ok, i'll keep it the way it is right now.
But if i change to all 6 ohm speakers, i think it is wise to change the setting to 6 ohm.

The only disadvantage of not using the hdmi for the sat is that on screen display wil not be shown if i would like to change sound settings.
post #557 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The 6 ohm setting basically just limits the power output. I've never seen anybody recommend using it.
post #558 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

Just received the 667 and cannot find in the manual where there is much of a description on the purpose of the Scene Buttons. I only have (2) sources; a BD player and a SAT HD STB. If I was planning on running my SAT STB via HDMI into HDMI1, my BD player via HDMI into HDMI2 & then HDMI Out to my Display, where exactly do the Scene Buttons come into play?

Ken

Ken, the Scene buttons are shortcuts to your preferences for the items displayed on the button. I have seven devices but only four buttons. So, you setup the audio, Enhanced On/Off, input, and anything else on a device (including the name), then hold down the white button until is says "saved" I think. Then pushing that button will do all the work. As example, I have AV5 input connected to my HD radio with 7.1 and labeled HD Radio. So I push the power button on the radio and the white button on the AVR and I'm done. Same for TV since I use optical and that gets me AV4 TOSLINK and I don't use ARC. "Radio" defaults to the built in receiver which is of average quality. BD gets me right to my Blu-ray settings and the CD also goes there but with Enhanced since most of my CD's are not SACD. It's a nice feature. I think of it as a "favorites" button like I have on my TV remote.
post #559 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Just purchased the Yamaha RX-V667 and so far really impressed. One question though - on my old Sony STR-DE698 it had a feature called A.F.D. which auto detected the proper version of Dolby Surround. What should I have set on, say, my Blu-Ray input, to be sure I'm setup properly for Dolby Digital/True HD? Is it Surround Decoder? Should I use Cinema DSP Standard? What about Cinema DSP 3D?

There's so many options and I'm not sure what to have set on this. The manual isn't really too helpful. My primary concern is having the best settings for Blu-Ray, then my Dish Network 722 ViP.

Thanks!!
post #560 of 3953 Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Never mind. After looking through the menus again after I updated the firmware, I see now in the input options it's set to "Auto". I also read that "Standard" is probably a good choice for Dolby Digital, etc. if using Cinema DSP.
post #561 of 3953 Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

I currently have two subwoofers connected to the sub out 1 & 2 conncetors.
When running YPAO should I only do one bub at a time and calculate the distance between the two or would it be ok to run both at the same time durring the auto setup process?
post #562 of 3953 Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 PM

I'm in need of help in deciding between the 667 and 1065 models. I can get the 1065 for less than the 667. I'm going to be pairing it with a Mits. 65738 3D TV. The TV doesn't have an HDMI 1.4a connection, so I'm a bit confused as to whether the 1065 does or does not handle 3D. The only reason I see for going with the 667 is for the upgraded HDMI connection, but don't know if I truly need it.

Any and all help will be sincerely appreciated.
post #563 of 3953 Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmondrag
I'm in need of help in deciding between the 667 and 1065 models. I can get the 1065 for less than the 667. I'm going to be pairing it with a Mits. 65738 3D TV. The TV doesn't have an HDMI 1.4a connection, so I'm a bit confused as to whether the 1065 does or does not handle 3D. The only reason I see for going with the 667 is for the upgraded HDMI connection, but don't know if I truly need it.

Any and all help will be sincerely appreciated.
1065 is not 3D capable. You could still get the 1065 and have 3D capability by getting an new Oppo and Samsung Blu-ray player with two HDMI outputs. It would cost more than the difference between the 1065 and 667.
post #564 of 3953 Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Could someone possibly help me understand expanded surround sound a little better. I have a 7.1 setup. There are three options with this amp to expand sound of 5.1 channel tracts to the back two speakers. PIIx Movie, PIIx Music, & EX/ES. What I'm wondering is if I choose one of these modes while playing a blu-ray with, lets say, with Dolby TrueHD or DTS format, does the reciever output in the original format or does it decode to Dolby Prologic IIx to output in 7.1.
post #565 of 3953 Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

For a 5.1 movie track, PLIIx Movie will leave the front three channels alone (exactly as if you were using straight mode), and just redistribute the two surround channels to your four surround speakers. Don't worry about losing any audio quality with PLIIx turned on, you just get a more enveloping surround experience (assuming the four surround speakers are well placed). If the track was TrueHD etc., it is still decoded normally with full quality.

PLIIx Music is different and I use it for two channel music. It gives you control over several parameters that determine how much of the sound goes to the centre channel and surrounds. You can experiment with those and see what settings you prefer.
post #566 of 3953 Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

For a 5.1 movie track, PLIIx Movie will leave the front three channels alone (exactly as if you were using straight mode), and just redistribute the two surround channels to your four surround speakers. Don't worry about losing any audio quality with PLIIx turned on, you just get a more enveloping surround experience (assuming the four surround speakers are well placed). If the track was TrueHD etc., it is still decoded normally with full quality.

PLIIx Music is different and I use it for two channel music. It gives you control over several parameters that determine how much of the sound goes to the centre channel and surrounds. You can experiment with those and see what settings you prefer.

Thanks, I didn't notice a drop in quality, but my ears tend to decieve me
post #567 of 3953 Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post

I just got a new Sony BD for Xmas and decided it was time for a new receiver today. My setup is as follows:

Original receiver was a Marantz SR7300
Panasonic Plasma via component
Xbox360 via component
Cable box (Cisco/SA Explorer 8642) via component

Since I have no more component inputs on the Marantz, I decided to get a new receiver and run the BD via HDMI. Went to Best Buy and got it on sale for $519. Hooked everything up and loved it until I tried the BD player. Sound came through but no video. My guess is that it will not accept HDMI video and output it to component??

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

- geoff

I had a similar issue with my XBOX 360, I had it set to output 1080P over componenet video. Check to ensure your BD player is set for 1080i output as this is the best the component video inputs on this recerver can accept. It will not display a 1080P signal being input to the components.
post #568 of 3953 Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Any of you guys that can comment on pro/cons of YPAO vs Audyssey? Im looking to buy a new rcvr to replace my 1909 and this one is on the list.
post #569 of 3953 Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Any of you guys that can comment on pro/cons of YPAO vs Audyssey? Im looking to buy a new rcvr to replace my 1909 and this one is on the list.

This has been argued and discussed ad nauseum in many threads. They are different tools with similar outcomes when used as intended by someone who understands the tools and process. Either will give you a good starting point for further tweaking.

Bottom line is that you shouldn't make a decision about buying an AVR based on which type setup routine it has. The Aventage line of Yamaha AVRs has slightly updated versions of YPAO.
post #570 of 3953 Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM

OK, here is a better one. I went from Onkyo to Denon, which seemed to move from bright to warm, but maybe still a little bright. Are yammies pretty warm sounding and less metallic?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page