post #811 of 3958 Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell21 View Post

Hey guys just bought the 667 yesterday and i have everything hooked up hdmi! I am having a big problem with my time warner cable box have the newest 3d capable samsung cable box they have. The problem is my sound while watching cable skips every 15 minutes or so and I believe it is running in dolby pro logic II idk tho on the receiver it just says hdmi 1 is their any way to get it to run dolby digital maybe that would solve the problem idk I am lost guys and really need your help thanks!

Hit the button called "straight" on the remote. If the source program is Dolby Digital or DTS the receiver will be decoding it. Unfortunately the front panel doesn't tell you much and indicates only the current input and sound field (if any). If you want to see what it is doing in detail hit the on-screen display, click info and look at the audio folder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3958 Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 PM

I switched from hdmi to optical for my cable and just ran the hdmi from the cable box to the tv for picute how ever the audio is skipping instead of every 15 minutes its more like every 45 minutes but it is still doing it! If i go to straight will that help this problem?
post #813 of 3958 Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarewolf View Post

I realize Windows 7 is a better alternative to XP in this regard ... but I cannot yet think about replacing my HTPC altogether ...

After installing the new video card, I ran the Windows 7 Advisor on my computer, and it said the computer would be compatible with the 32bit version. Would this version be any advantage?

Halfway thru my 6063 installation, ... sounds good, and I have yet to fine tune some things, ... Eg, my HTPC media software plYs music and video -- is there a way to have the AVR treatment differently than video. I thought it might work if I sent the mobo's coaxial spdif to AV3 Nd also depend on the HDMI, but so far haven't it to work(?)

cheerios ... michael shaffer
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
post #814 of 3958 Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

I switched from hdmi to optical for my cable and just ran the hdmi from the cable box to the tv for picute how ever the audio is skipping instead of every 15 minutes its more like every 45 minutes but it is still doing it! If i go to straight will that help this problem?

Audio dropouts are a common issue on a wide variety of cable and sat boxes, usually with DD channels. If the display on the AVR blinks when the dropout happens, it's not the AVR's issue it's the cable box. Some dropouts are actually caused by the MPEG-4 converters on the sat uplinks and are simply passed along by the cable provider. The channels with PCM audio are usually immune to those dropouts.
post #815 of 3958 Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I was watching the Blu-ray of Dinner with Schmucks.And my 667 would not play the audio the display just displayed Dolby Digital than Decoder off rapidly.Does this unit have problems decoding DTS with the HDMI? I hooked the optical cable up and it works just fine. The Firmware on my unit was 1.08 I believe. Has anyone else had this type of problem or no of a fix?
post #816 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Hair View Post

I was watching the Blu-ray of Dinner with Schmucks.And my 667 would not play the audio the display just displayed Dolby Digital than Decoder off rapidly.Does this unit have problems decoding DTS with the HDMI? I hooked the optical cable up and it works just fine. The Firmware on my unit was 1.08 I believe. Has anyone else had this type of problem or no of a fix?

I don't know if this is what happened in your case, but I see the same thing with my 667. Although it's decoding properly, I have to press the "info" button on the remote to get it to actually show the codecs. This wasn't the case with my 661 & I'm just not used to it. For example, when I pop in a BD movie & it finally loads, the 667's display may say Dolby Digital & I have to press the the "info" button a couple of times until it displays what audio is actually being decoded. With my 661, it would immediately display the audio ("MPCM") once the movie loaded.

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #817 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Audio dropouts are a common issue on a wide variety of cable and sat boxes, usually with DD channels. If the display on the AVR blinks when the dropout happens, it's not the AVR's issue it's the cable box. Some dropouts are actually caused by the MPEG-4 converters on the sat uplinks and are simply passed along by the cable provider. The channels with PCM audio are usually immune to those dropouts.

Thanks I noticed it with my old pioneer receiver as well but when it did it then the video would distort as well. Now the video dosen't distort the audio just drops like it used to but the video dosen't distort at all like i said the audio just drops for a split second and the speaker display on the receiver will blink as well. Do you still think its the cable box or should i return my 667?
post #818 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

I don't know if this is what happened in your case, but I see the same thing with my 667. Although it's decoding properly, I have to press the "info" button on the remote to get it to actually show the codecs. This wasn't the case with my 661 & I'm just not used to it. For example, when I pop in a BD movie & it finally loads, the 667's display may say Dolby Digital & I have to press the the "info" button a couple of times until it displays what audio is actually being decoded. With my 661, it would immediately display the audio ("MPCM") once the movie loaded.

Ken

Good stuff yes i wondering as well is their anyway i can see the codec the receiver is running on the actual receiver display I know you said hit info but i do not see an info button anywhere on my receiver remote so what do you mean?
post #819 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Good stuff yes i wondering as well is their anyway i can see the codec the receiver is running on the actual receiver display I know you said hit info but i do not see an info button anywhere on my receiver remote so what do you mean?

In the middle of the remote under the FM button
post #820 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks I noticed it with my old pioneer receiver as well but when it did it then the video would distort as well. Now the video dosen't distort the audio just drops like it used to but the video dosen't distort at all like i said the audio just drops for a split second and the speaker display on the receiver will blink as well. Do you still think its the cable box or should i return my 667?

Like I said, if the front panel display on the AVR blinks to indicate a signal drop, it's the cable box. Different AVRs handle these signal drops differently, but it's more than likely a cable box issue. Good luck getting the cableco to admit that.
post #821 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Well I updated the firmware to 2.05 and now the HDMI decodes the DTS-HD Master with out issues. So now I'm a happy camper again. Hope this info is useful to someone.
post #822 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well I updated the firmware to 2.08 and now the HDMI decodes the DTS-HD Master with out issues. So now I'm a happy camper again. Hope this info is useful to someone.

I'm not sure what my current firmware version is on my 667, but when I look at Yamaha's web-site, it only shows version 2.05 as the latest. Did I mis-read?

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #823 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 AM

When i used the ypao mic to set up my receiver it set every individual channel at a very low db 2 or under it set the sub at 0 db to me this just wasent powerful enough so i adjusted all my speakers to 10 db which is what i had on my old pioneer theater in a box set up but this seems to loud for my new klipsch quintets and my 100 watt 10 inch polk powered sub does anybody have any advice for what a great speaker by speaker db setting would be for this set up? Also another big worry im having is when i ran the auto set up and it did the speaker measurements it said reverse for my center and front right speakers does anyone know what it means by this? Thanks guys you have been nothing but a ton of help so far!
post #824 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When i used the ypao mic to set up my receiver it set every individual channel at a very low db 2 or under it set the sub at 0 db to me this just wasent powerful enough so i adjusted all my speakers to 10 db which is what i had on my old pioneer theater in a box set up but this seems to loud for my new klipsch quintets and my 100 watt 10 inch polk powered sub does anybody have any advice for what a great speaker by speaker db setting would be for this set up? Also another big worry im having is when i ran the auto set up and it did the speaker measurements it said reverse for my center and front right speakers does anyone know what it means by this? Thanks guys you have been nothing but a ton of help so far!

This is the wrong approach. You want ALL channels as close to 0db as possible. If the YPAO setup is doing this then leave it alone. If you want more volume, turn the volume knob. Ignore the speaker phase warnings if you're sure they are wired correctly.
post #825 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 AM

RD from New Mexico thanks so much again! so you say stick with the setting the ypao mic gives me no matter what? and yes i know 100% sure i have the wiring right on all of the speakers as they seem to be working fine, so i can just ignore the reverse message? is that a common problem with this AVR meaning it displays invalid error messages like the reverse on mine?
post #826 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgguy View Post

I have been thru a little over half of this thread reading up on the 667 and would appreciate some feedback. My setup is a Panny plasma 46S1, Panny BD65 BD player, Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HDC cable box and a wii. Large room with efficient bookshelf spkrs in a 5 spkr setup. Any known handshake issues/other issues for this general setup that I missed ? From the posts I read, this avr doesn't seem "buggy", but it never hurts to ask.

Definitely want standby HDMI pass-through and 1 HDMI out to tv.

Any thoughts on this ?
post #827 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:

This is the wrong approach. You want ALL channels as close to 0db as possible. If the YPAO setup is doing this then leave it alone. If you want more volume, turn the volume knob. Ignore the speaker phase warnings if you're sure they are wired correctly.

RD from New Mexico thanks so much again! so you say stick with the setting the ypao mic gives me no matter what? and yes i know 100% sure i have the wiring right on all of the speakers as they seem to be working fine, so i can just ignore the reverse message? is that a common problem with this AVR meaning it displays invalid error messages like the reverse on mine?
post #828 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, and yes. YPAO is checking acoustic phasing, not electrical phasing. It's often wrong about wiring.

As long as YPAO is showing all channels within a few db of 0, you're fine. If one or more channels are a lot different, it's signaling some other issue like an obstruction or reflection that should be dealt with. The channel levels adjustment is a balancing adjustment, not a volume adjustment. If the sub is near 0, and all others are +/- 2-3 db, you are getting an excellent result.
post #829 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Yes, and yes. YPAO is checking acoustic phasing, not electrical phasing. It's often wrong about wiring.

As long as YPAO is showing all channels within a few db of 0, you're fine. If one or more channels are a lot different, it's signaling some other issue like an obstruction or reflection that should be dealt with. The channel levels adjustment is a balancing adjustment, not a volume adjustment. If the sub is near 0, and all others are +/- 2-3 db, you are getting an excellent result.

Thanks again RD the only thing i am wondering now is what i should have the sub crossover at the ypao says 80, but my poly manual says put it at 120. Which way should i got with this? Also what should i have the knobs on the back of my sub set at ? Right now on the knobs i have the volume knob half way up, and low pass (Hz) knob all the way up set at 160 is this the right approach?
post #830 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgguy View Post

Any thoughts on this ?

Walked out of hhgregg for $399. Not the lowest price I've ever seen for this, but low enough for me. Now let's see what this thing can do.
post #831 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Hi all,
I'm having an issue with this receiver's upconversion and I'm wondering if my unit is defective or this is normal. I'm getting a black bar thats about an inch wide on the right hand side of the screen when upconverting a 480i source delivered through RCA cables. For most sources this is fixed by setting the t.v. to "normal" mode as opposed to "full-pixel" mode. However, for TIVO, normal mode still leaves an inch black bar on the side of the screen. I've tried different RCA cables with no change in result.

Can someone else try upconverting an RCA source with full pixel mode and just write me to tell me if they are experiencing the same issue?

Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong?

PLEASE HELP!

-J
post #832 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

I'm getting used to my new V667 and trying to decipher the user manual (man...I really miss having a hard copy!). I'm confused with some of the numerous options with respect to scenes and sound fields. Are sound fields applied to existing Dolby or DTS decoded signals or are they specific only to CinemaDSP mode (stereo speakers) as it seems to imply in the manual? Almost all of my sources (BR disc, cable, OTA) provide Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1. and I have a 5.1 speaker setup. Should I just set this up for "straight" operation or what? DSP and sound fields are basically fake surround sound...right?

Scenes seem to be just quick ways of restoring various settings.

Cinema DSP is a sound enhancement mode that tweaks Dolby Digital, DTS, etc... sound fields for home listening (i.e. smaller speakers, etc...) The only thing is that it doesn't work with 7.1. I listen to 5.1 sources on "Normal" Cinema DSP and it sounds nice - richer than straight mode. However, for 7.1 sources, you need to use straight mode.
post #833 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks again RD the only thing i am wondering now is what i should have the sub crossover at the ypao says 80, but my poly manual says put it at 120. Which way should i got with this? Also what should i have the knobs on the back of my sub set at ? Right now on the knobs i have the volume knob half way up, and low pass (Hz) knob all the way up set at 160 is this the right approach?

The sub should be set to bypass it's internal crossover, or set the crossover at max.

Speaker crossovers can be anywhere that works best. Above 80Hz you may be able to audibly locate the source of the bass in the room, which is not ideal. Try it at 80, 100, 120 and 160 and use whatever seems to sound right. It also depends on your sub's capabilities in the >80Hz range.
post #834 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM

I used the ypao to set my speaker settings and everything seems to work great now, except my center channel it almost seems to quiet and i am now having a little trouble hearing the center channel from my seating location any advice?
post #835 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

I'm not sure what my current firmware version is on my 667, but when I look at Yamaha's web-site, it only shows version 2.05 as the latest. Did I mis-read?

Ken

My bad, it was ver 2.05, I made a typo. The point being that newer firmware fixed my DTS-Hd master audio over HDMI problem.
post #836 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I used the ypao to set my speaker settings and everything seems to work great now, except my center channel it almost seems to quiet and i am now having a little trouble hearing the center channel from my seating location any advice?

Advice would be to bump up the center channel level in speaker setup. Start with 2db. Or, depending on all the various channel levels, turn the other channels down.
post #837 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Advice would be to bump up the center channel level in speaker setup. Start with 2db. Or, depending on all the various channel levels, turn the other channels down.

My center was at -3.5DB I changed it to 0 Db and it improved the sound of the center channel by alot maybe perhaps its too loud now i may have to tinker with it. I know you suggested tinkering with the other speaker DB levels if necessary but since that helped my center channel I should just go ahead and leave them were the ypao set them correct?

THANKS AGAIN GRIMES FROM NEW MEXICO!!!
post #838 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
If you want more bass, increase the subwoofer level too. If you usually listen well below reference level (e.g. at -10db or lower) then try increasing the surround levels a bit too.
post #839 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

If you want more bass, increase the subwoofer level too. If you usually listen well below reference level (e.g. at -10db or lower) then try increasing the surround levels a bit too.

right now the bass is at -1.0 is that bad should i turn that up is that what you are saying? what does that have to do with my center channel that i turned from -3.5 db to 0 db? I have everything set to what the ypao mic said except the center channel.
post #840 of 3958 Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My bad, it was ver 2.05, I made a typo. The point being that newer firmware fixed my DTS-Hd master audio over HDMI problem.

As a newbie to this thread...what is the DTS-HD master over audio HDMI problem? Sorry if this has been covered.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page