post #181 of 3962 Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny0011 View Post

Hello all I just got a 667 a few days ago.I have a sd tivo with composite video.The pq is terrible when going thru hdmi out,diagonal lines on tv screen, kind of look like lightning bolts, they move up and down on the screen. I have tried analog to analog conversion and processing both on and off with no difference. I had to run a composite video cable to tv to have a watchable picture.The only thing different in my system is the 667, my onkyo has a great picture.I reset the 667, but it did`nt help.I tried a different hdmi cable from 667 to tv,with no help. Also when i put tv on composite input with tivo off and then select 667 gui the diagonal bars are there, this does`nt happen with tv on a hdmi input. Any and all help would be appreciated.THANKS

Sounds like RF/FM interference. Try better cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3962 Old 09-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post

Dont want to bust any bubble but that magazine is no more independent than anybody else. You would only have to read their reviews of how HDMI cables differ to ask yourself if you can believe a single word in the entire magazine.

Honestly, what is any modern version of alchemy going to be able to do with a 128 kbps file. If any magic was possible, said function would be far more valuable sold to the entire planet - every receiver, car radio, MP3 player and all else - than to be kept as a proprietary function on any single brand of AV reciever. No, the "compressed audio enhancer" does not enhance anything.

There are differences in HDMI cables, however less so than differences between analog video and SPDIF digital audio cables.

Seems a bit judgmental and arrogant to say the enhancer doesn't work when you haven't heard it. The reason why you don't see something like this is the R&D costs for a company to develop it and the point is likely moot when the vast majority of people (especially younger generations) don't give a rats ass about sound. In my experience with Yamaha's version on my 667 I find some compressed music does in fact sound better with the Enhancer. It seems to do much more than just throw in an EQ. I hear improvements in things like soundstage cues such as depth of stage, recording venue/spatial aspects - those things are hard to improve on with just EQ or the like. I also hear more accurate instrumental tonal qualities. I use it sometimes and I typically like the enhancement at times. I don't know how it compares to the enhancers in other brands, maybe Yamaha developed something useful. You don't have to like the idea of it but you look childish coming in this thread and proclaiming it's crap when you have never heard it.
post #183 of 3962 Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 79
[Hope this is not a duplicate post:] Just noticed the Yamaha USA web page for the RX-V667 has a new download message (and link):
•RX-V667 FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.05 (IMPROVES STABILITY WITH 3D SIGNALS FROM DIRECTV) RELEASED SEPT 2010 (USA MODEL)

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #184 of 3962 Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Hi! Im new here. I got my RX-V667 yesterday and it seems great receiver. I updated my old Sony Str-DB 780.

I have one and maybe stupid question. I have 5.1 speakers. When I do that Ypao-calibration should i set speakers 7.1 or 5.1 Bi-amp ? There are no 5.1 setting option without that bi-amp option?

Thanks for helping newbie
post #185 of 3962 Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post

Seems a bit judgmental and arrogant to say the enhancer doesn't work when you haven't heard it. The reason why you don't see something like this is the R&D costs for a company to develop it and the point is likely moot when the vast majority of people (especially younger generations) don't give a rats ass about sound. In my experience with Yamaha's version on my 667 I find some compressed music does in fact sound better with the Enhancer. It seems to do much more than just throw in an EQ. I hear improvements in things like soundstage cues such as depth of stage, recording venue/spatial aspects - those things are hard to improve on with just EQ or the like. I also hear more accurate instrumental tonal qualities. I use it sometimes and I typically like the enhancement at times. I don't know how it compares to the enhancers in other brands, maybe Yamaha developed something useful. You don't have to like the idea of it but you look childish coming in this thread and proclaiming it's crap when you have never heard it.

I'm confused. In one momenyt, you say you dont see this, then in the next you agree that everyone has this. Every Mp3, cassette player, home stereo receiver and Mp3 software has this stuff. But when has it ever been useful.

Which is why I point out that it if it was actually meaningfully different then it would be a global innovation worth more than the few AV receivers Yamaha makes, given that Mp3 files are ubiquitous.

And no, I dont have to heard the million and oneth doo dad added on to yet another receiver to know that it wont do anything that the previous million did not.
post #186 of 3962 Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

[Hope this is not a duplicate post:] Just noticed the Yamaha USA web page for the RX-V667 has a new download message (and link):
RX-V667 FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.05 (IMPROVES STABILITY WITH 3D SIGNALS FROM DIRECTV) RELEASED SEPT 2010 (USA MODEL)

Thanks, I didn't notice that. The 3D stability thing doesn't affect me but I just checked what version of firmware I have and it's 1.14. I hadn't ever checked for a firmware update since I got this receiver a few weeks ago, was there any firmware updates posted that was higher than 1.14 that you know of? And if so what kind of updates were there?
post #187 of 3962 Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 PM

I am running DVI to HDMI from my computer, and a separate optical cable from my sound card. Is it possible to show the picture from the HDMI and sound from optical at the same time. I could not figure out how to do this. Any help appreciated, thanks.
post #188 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 AM

NP - nil post
post #189 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 AM

NP - nil post
post #190 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 AM

I have a Sirius radio hooked up to this receiver, the home kit, or whatever.

Is it possible to listen to the radio through the speakers, and simultaneously watch TV? I have video running through the receiver via HDMI. I can watch TV with the receiver off, but I want to be able to watch TV and listen to sirius at the same time.

Thanks
post #191 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post

I'm confused. In one momenyt, you say you dont see this, then in the next you agree that everyone has this. Every Mp3, cassette player, home stereo receiver and Mp3 software has this stuff. But when has it ever been useful.

Which is why I point out that it if it was actually meaningfully different then it would be a global innovation worth more than the few AV receivers Yamaha makes, given that Mp3 files are ubiquitous.

And no, I dont have to heard the million and oneth doo dad added on to yet another receiver to know that it wont do anything that the previous million did not.

I would like to add that I have listened to the compressed music enhancer in question and do find that it improves my compressed music. It's laughable that you continue to argue about something without listening yourself.

Mark
post #192 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM

hi all, this is like my first post here.

I seem to be loosing audio (vocals mainly) when the rx-v667 is in standby mode and sound is coming from tv when playing a movie on PS3 (not ps3 slim). the effects are fine but vocals i am loosing.

i have set ps3 to lpcm and this happens when i go into ps3 --> settings --> sound settings -->Audio output settings --> HDMI and then i tick boxes for the 2 and 5.1 Ch, i only leave the 2 2CH ticked that needs to be ticked and tick all the 5.1 boxes.

Am i doing something wrong, is there a setting on the 667 that i need to set.

Ive checked my tv and there is a hdmi option that i can switch audio between audo, digital and analog. tv is about 5 years old.
post #193 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have DirectTV but my firmware was 1.08 so I updated.
post #194 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm636 View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have DirectTV but my firmware was 1.08 so I updated.

did you use a cd player? or dvd/ps3?
post #195 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh82 View Post

Hi! Im new here. I got my RX-V667 yesterday and it seems great receiver. I updated my old Sony Str-DB 780.

I have one and maybe stupid question. I have 5.1 speakers. When I do that Ypao-calibration should i set speakers 7.1 or 5.1 Bi-amp ? There are no 5.1 setting option without that bi-amp option?

Thanks for helping newbie

You should use 7.1 normal or 7.1 + zone if using zone 2.
post #196 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

Doesn't matter. A CD player (with digital output) or a DVD player of any type will work. You can use either a coaxial or toslink/optical connection to an input on the 667. The pdf on the Yamaha web site has all the directions.
post #197 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCulop View Post

I am running DVI to HDMI from my computer, and a separate optical cable from my sound card. Is it possible to show the picture from the HDMI and sound from optical at the same time. I could not figure out how to do this. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Yes, this is possible. In the on screen GUI go to INPUT. Select the HDMI input you have the computer connected to and then press the cursor arrow up on the remote to reveal further options. Cursor down and select "Audio In" and in there select either AV1 or AV4, whichever input you used to connect the optical cable to the 667. If you didn't notice, the optical inputs are tied into either AV1 or AV4 if you look at the back of the receiver. That's it.
post #198 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by du73 View Post

I seem to be loosing audio (vocals mainly) when the rx-v667 is in standby mode and sound is coming from tv when playing a movie on PS3 (not ps3 slim). the effects are fine but vocals i am loosing.

i have set ps3 to lpcm and this happens when i go into ps3 --> settings --> sound settings -->Audio output settings --> HDMI and then i tick boxes for the 2 and 5.1 Ch, i only leave the 2 2CH ticked that needs to be ticked and tick all the 5.1 boxes.

I doubt your TV will downmix 5.1 PCM, so it's probably throwing away the centre channel. When using the TV speakers you need to select only 2 channel in the PS3 audio output settings, and clear all the 5.1 boxes. Unfortunately that means when you turn on the receiver and want to use all your speakers you'll have to go and enable 5.1 again in the PS3.

It's a feature of the PS3 that it only checks the audio capabilities of the device it's connected to when you explicitly go into audio settings. So switching between a device that supports 5.1 and a device that doesn't is a bit of a pain.
post #199 of 3962 Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Appreciate this. Thought I looked through all the input options available. Guess I didn't. Thanks!!
post #200 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 AM

many thanks kwiktsemj99 for your response, and i dont think my plasma is 5.1 channel so i would just have to adjust the sound settings on ps3 to suite my needs at that time.

i wonder when i want to use the receiver for audio if i need to tick all the lpcm 5.1 on ps3 sound settings or can i just tick one of the lpcs 5.1 box?
post #201 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:

Doesn't matter. A CD player (with digital output) or a DVD player of any type will work. You can use either a coaxial or toslink/optical connection to an input on the 667. The pdf on the Yamaha web site has all the directions.

Yeah I read the pdf and that's where I saw they mentioned that using a dvd player might not work in all cases.

Another question - did you burn to a blank CD, or a blank DVD? I don't have any blank CDs, but I do have some blank DVDs laying around.
post #202 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:

I used my Denon 2910 (cd/dvd) with a digital coax cable. I burned it to a CD, it's a 14+ min .wav file.
post #203 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:

You should use 7.1 normal or 7.1 + zone if using zone 2.

Thank you very much. I have Infinity Oreus speaker system and it sounds very good now
post #204 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by du73 View Post

...i wonder when i want to use the receiver for audio if i need to tick all the lpcm 5.1 on ps3 sound settings or can i just tick one of the lpcs 5.1 box?

You could always have the the PS3 automatically detect the supported formats. Just remember to do this again when you're using the TV speakers, or it might send a non-supported format to the TV.
post #205 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I checked mine, and it's 1.08 also. Is there a list of all the released firmware updates, and what each addresses? I'll only mess with the firmware if there's a fix I need (e.g. I don't need the DirecTV 3D fix).

What I am hoping for is a better-looking "volume" on-screen display. The big black box is awful -- it's blocky, obscures closed captioning, etc.
post #206 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine View Post

What I am hoping for is a better-looking "volume" on-screen display. The big black box is awful -- it's blocky, obscures closed captioning, etc.

I completely agree, but I doubt this will happen unless Yamaha get a lot of requests. At the very least there should be:-
  • A better looking volume display without the big black rectangle.
  • A menu option to position the volume at the top or bottom of the screen (to avoid closed captions).
  • A menu option to disable the volume display entirely for those who don't want anything on the screen.
The new A series has the same problem with the volume display. When on-line reviews start turning up for those models I'm going to be adding comments complaining about the volume display. The only hope for getting this changed is to make some noise (and even then Yamaha has not been very responsive in the past to customer requests).
post #207 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 AM

I could not find anything that the latest update addressed other than the DirectTV improvement, but since someone else said their firmware version was 1.14 it looked like mine was at least 2 behind, so I did it.
post #208 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Yeah I read the pdf and that's where I saw they mentioned that using a dvd player might not work in all cases.

Another question - did you burn to a blank CD, or a blank DVD? I don't have any blank CDs, but I do have some blank DVDs laying around.

Ha! That's funny. Here I am telling you to check out the pdf and I didn't even see that myself. I actually haven't even done the update yet, I've been so busy, but I've skimmed the pdf instructions and have actually done this before with other equipment. (CUT)

EDIT: See kriktsemaj99's post below for more information.
post #209 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I could not find anything that the latest update addressed other than the DirectTV improvement, but since someone else said their firmware version was 1.14 it looked like mine was at least 2 behind, so I did it.

Yeah, that was me with the 1.14. I wish I knew what some of the other firmware updates were and what they fixed, and how many there have been since 1.14. Even though this one addresses the Direct TV thing surely it includes ALL the firmware updates, so everyone should do it. I'm just curious to know what the fixes were.
post #210 of 3962 Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I do this I plan to burn a CD myself but I don't see why a DVD wouldn't work?? I'm going to try and get this done tonight.

The firmware is a .wav file that needs to be burned as an audio CD (not just as a data file on the disc). You have to make sure the burning software doesn't modify the data in any way (no "volume levelling" or other options that they often give you — check for these and turn them off). You can actually play the CD in a DVD player as long as it doesn't modify the PCM data on output (no upsampling etc.), and you have to use a digital optical (or coax) cable, not HDMI.

Some people are lucky and get this right first time, but others have trouble finding the right burning software or player. You can use a re-writable CD to avoid wasting one or more discs in case it goes wrong the first time.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha , Yamaha Rx V667 Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers
Gear in this thread - V667 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page