"Official" Pioneer Elite SC-37 - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaR1 View Post

Has anyone experienced any issues with the video performance? I switched my HDMI cable and still am experiencing issues with the video such as judder, pixilated and grainy picture.

When I run HDMI directly from the cable box to TV, I don't see the same issues as when I run it through the Rcvr.

When I tried the video performance was really good when using the 37 with 1080/24. It depends on what I watching. For sports I recommend pure direct ( video off)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaR1 View Post

Has anyone experienced any issues with the video performance? I switched my HDMI cable and still am experiencing issues with the video such as judder, pixilated and grainy picture.

When I run HDMI directly from the cable box to TV, I don't see the same issues as when I run it through the Rcvr.

Try setting "Pure Cinema" to "Off".

CD

Reality Based.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about a mini-review of the SC-37s audio performance for 2-channel listening? Via a PS3 as the transport would be a plus.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello..

Just got my new toy (pioneer sc-37), replacing my SC-07..

I just pre-wired and hooked up all 9.1 speakers.

I can confirm that PLIIX and PLIIZ can be applied to all multi channel sources... unlike my old SC-07...

So far the sound is just stunning..

However.. Found an issue that makes me a little upset..

Having the PLIIZ mode on, I hear the front effect speakers, and sound is very nice but, i lost sound to my back speakers.. My sides are fine, just no back info..

If I go to PLIIX I then get my back speakers, but loose my height channel....

I have all channels(pre-outs) running into Rotel Power amps and am only using the height amps on pioneer for those speakers..

How do I get ALL 9.1 speakers to play.. Dolby states that PLIIZ can have height and rear/sides all working...

Is this a pioneer issue?

If only 7.1 speakers can be used at any one time, would it be better to run my sides and rears in parallel (left side gets same sound as rear left)? thus really only running a 5.1 system and adding the height channel for 7.1?

As for EQ..

I at the moment have my theater in basement with no walls, etc... only studs and vapor/insulation..

I ran the EQ in all channel mode and Symmetrical mode..

I find that the sound is still better WITHOUT the EQ ON... I leave all other options on, like phase, standing wave, etc...

Why is the EQ not working good? Should I use a different mode.. Like front align mode...

Is my unfinished room having a negative effect on the mic?

When I had my SC-07 in a finished room, the EQ was awesome...

Hope someone can help..

Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 AM

^^^

I am not sure if you are already doing this but in the manual it states several times, select Normal (SB/FH) from the speaker system menu? I really hope this is all you are not doing because I get my front height speakers on Wednesday and it would seem to be somewhat of a waste to be only able to do one or the other. I mean how could they call it 9.1 if you could only hear 7.1 at a time? Also check to make sure you don't have B speaker selected this happened to me once and I freaked thinking my rears were no longer working.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went to Best Buy last weekend. They have SC-37's available with a three day delivery lead time. They are an authorized Pioneer Elite dealer. They offered the SC-37 at MSRP ($2200). I did not press for a better deal.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 93
^^^

if you have any pioneer authorized dealers around you other than best buy, you likely can make a better deal than full retail... just something to keep in mind... nothing sells at retail, even at a boutique store, if you ask...

even when the sc series was a brand new concept and they were in significant demand, you were able to get a few bucks off...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 08-02-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got the fever and ordered an SC-37. Shipping expected today, not sure how long it will take to get from west to east coast. I had thought about going to Magnolia, but most of my recent expiences at the ones near me have not been too reassuring. I also bought new high speed HDMI cables to lay in everything now. Also got some locking banana speaker plugs, trying to get all I can from the new receiver.

Anyone know if remote codes for the SC-27 are mostly the same for the SC-37? I tried to enter SC-37 for a Harmony remote, but they just had SC-27 available,so I used that. If I find out before anyone posts, I will post my experience using SC-27 codes.

I am hoping that Internet radio is a bit more stable and the GUI is easier to navigate, will he happy if it is just more stable.

My VSX-94 has been a sonic joy for the last several years and I have high hopes for the SC-37. Eventually I will be getting 3D capability, waiting for Panasonic to incorporate more of the licensed Kuro technology - next year???

Now the hard part, waiting for it to come.

Dave
Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag View Post

I went to Best Buy last weekend. They have SC-37's available with a three day delivery lead time. They are an authorized Pioneer Elite dealer. They offered the SC-37 at MSRP ($2200). I did not press for a better deal.

I am usually not comfortable trying to negotiate a price but when I was at Best Buy last week I asked the the manager if he could improve on the price and he said he would sell me a SC-37 for $200 below the MSRP. It never hurts to ask I guess...
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

However.. Found an issue that makes me a little upset..

Having the PLIIZ mode on, I hear the front effect speakers, and sound is very nice but, i lost sound to my back speakers.. My sides are fine, just no back info..

If I go to PLIIX I then get my back speakers, but loose my height channel....

I have all channels(pre-outs) running into Rotel Power amps and am only using the height amps on pioneer for those speakers..

How do I get ALL 9.1 speakers to play.. Dolby states that PLIIZ can have height and rear/sides all working...

Is this a pioneer issue?

If only 7.1 speakers can be used at any one time, would it be better to run my sides and rears in parallel (left side gets same sound as rear left)? thus really only running a 5.1 system and adding the height channel for 7.1?

Hope someone can help..

Well I had another pair of speakers setting around so I had to try it and it does appear that this receiver does NOT actually allow for 9.1 sound, because if the front height speakers are turned on the surround backs turn off. I truly hope I am wrong. This really seems weird to me, I think I am going to end up canceling my speaker order for the front heights I ordered
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know this is a dumb question, but is your source material encoded for 9.1? Do you have 9.1 information to play?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 93
there is NO source material in 9.1...

there is very little in 7.1, and none of that is encoded with height/wide channels...

all height/wide speakers will be matrixed...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 08-02-2010, 07:49 PM

I am not really sure but I am kind of thinking I may need a separate amp for the front height channels if they are to work simultaneously with the rear surrounds. Kind of like I had to do several years back with my 5.1 system that could do 7.1 with a separte amp. You would think it would mention this in the manual though, so maybe not.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if the receiver will do 9.1 but if it will an amp is required as it can only power 7 speakers. Does it have outs for 9.1?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

I don't know if the receiver will do 9.1 but if it will an amp is required as it can only power 7 speakers. Does it have outs for 9.1?

Go here for info http://www.dolby.com/consumer/unders...logic-iiz.html.

Bill
Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Yes it does have 9.1 out puts.

I have tried temporarily removing my side surrounds from my 5 channel amp and routing the those two channels to the rears without any luck.

Somewhere around here I have a crappy two channel amp that I will try with tomorrow. If that won't work I am going to be a bit sad because I was really looking forward to some 9.1 action, not some 9.1 minus the back 2 But really = 7.1 but more sound from the front kind of thing I have going on now. Maybe a call to pioneer will help straighten things up for me
Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

From what I can see from the Dolby site -

The extra encoding from the reciever is only for 2 more channels, either rear surrounds or front height speakers.. If you want front height with a 5.1 source, then you don't get rear surrounds. You can have rear and front height if the source is 7.1 like some BD movies are. The Golden Compass in BD would play 9.1. If it was in SD DVD 5.1, then it would play either (your choice) 7.1 with rear surrounds or front height speakers. Now, some folks prefer front height with a 5.1 source over that of rear surrounds. My SC-37 comes Tueday so I'll find out if the Dolby site is correct.

Bill
Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure how that answers the receivers capacity to do 9.1 with the use of an amplifier.....

But to my recollection someone said (early in this thread) that the receiver has 9.1 outs for amplifier

I know about the sound format in question
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

From what I can see from the Dolby site -

The extra encoding from the reciever is only for 2 more channels, either rear surrounds or front height speakers.. If you want front height with a 5.1 source, then you don't get rear surrounds. You can have rear and front height if the source is 7.1 like some BD movies are. The Golden Compass in BD would play 9.1. If it was in SD DVD 5.1, then it would play either (your choice) 7.1 with rear surrounds or front height speakers. Now, some folks prefer front height with a 5.1 source over that of rear surrounds. My SC-37 comes Tueday so I'll find out if the Dolby site is correct.

Bill

This is from that site:

With a 9.1-channel setup, you have even more choices, including state-of-the-art 9.1 playback with both surround and back speakers and two front height speakers.

That really sounds like they all should work together at the same time to me, but apparently I a wrong
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinefski View Post

This is from that site:

With a 9.1-channel setup, you have even more choices, including state-of-the-art 9.1 playback with both surround and back speakers and two front height speakers.

That really sounds like they all should work together at the same time to me, but apparently I a wrong

Yes, but only if the DVD or BD is encoded for 7.1 surround and NOT 5.1. At the start of the BD it will tell you if it is DTS Master 7.1. Gold Compass is one such movie that would play the 9.1 if you had it set up in the SC-37.

Bill
Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure how that answers the receivers capacity to do 9.1 with the use of an amplifier.....

But to my recollection someone said (early in this thread) that the receiver has 9.1 outs for amplifier

I know about the sound format in question

Looking at the back of the SC-37 in the manual it shows 9.1 for speaker output. I downloaded it early as I get the SC-37 tommorrow. The 9th output is for a "B" zone for 2 more speakers in another area or for the Wide or Height selection.

Bill
Old 08-02-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49erjohn View Post

I am usually not comfortable trying to negotiate a price but when I was at Best Buy last week I asked the the manager if he could improve on the price and he said he would sell me a SC-37 for $200 below the MSRP. It never hurts to ask I guess...

I pick up my sc-37 on saturday the 31st. at best buy and got it for $1800 minus a $110 for my reward zone birthday triple pionts coupon...wish i didnt have.... because it came by email on sunday the 1st...... so all it all i got it for $1690....if this sound a little strange, its because all i was going to do in best buy was to buy $ 26 blu-ray and ask about the sc-37...."they said yes we have it"....and i said i need to wait intill i get my birthday point coupon in....the b.b saleman said "no need to wait i will calicalate your points and discount it from the price" i was going to wait intill the end of the month to get it but at that price, I jumped on it... I also had $205 in reward points which made it $1485. tax ny was 145.76 final $1630.76. I know for a fact that you can get it at B.B for $1800 any one can p.m for a copy of my receipt
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking at the back of the SC-37 in the manual it shows 9.1 for speaker output. I downloaded it early as I get the SC-37 tommorrow. The 9th output is for a "B" zone for 2 more speakers in another area or for the Wide or Height selection.

Bill

Great so that confirms it 9.1 or 7.1 with height is possible but the 37 can only power 7 speakers so standalone amp is required just like 2nd zone if you have a 7.1 setup in zone 1
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am using all my main 7.1 channels going into Rotel amps. As for height channel I'm using amps in pioneer. I can totally confirm that I get NO 9.1 sound but only 7.1 ad others have noted at anygiven time. Either height for 7.1 or no height but back surround for 7.1.

With all this talk about using a separate amp for height channels due to pioneer only able to run 7 amps at once, how would pioneer know you are using an external amp to allow the height channel with back surrounds?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Mine's on the UPS truck scheduled for delivery Monday. I was going to wait until my local Magnolia's got them in but the salesman said their system was showing 2 weeks before new stock came in. Can't wait to set it up.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using all my main 7.1 channels going into Rotel amps. As for height channel I'm using amps in pioneer. I can totally confirm that I get NO 9.1 sound but only 7.1 ad others have noted at anygiven time. Either height for 7.1 or no height but back surround for 7.1.

With all this talk about using a separate amp for height channels due to pioneer only able to run 7 amps at once, how would pioneer know you are using an external amp to allow the height channel with back surrounds?

Did you play a BD movie that was encoded for 7.1?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I just off the phone with Pioneer tech support and they said:
The SC-37 amp (no external amp is needed) in the unit will drive all 9 outs to the speakers if you are listening to a 7.1 encoded disc. 5.1 will not play thru 9.1 and it will only play thru 7.1 if Dolby IIx is selected. With 5.1 you must choose between the front height or rear surround speakers, IIz or IIx.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are those height channels connected to the 9.1 outs of the receiver?

EDIT: Page 22 and 27 of the manual discusses the setup of 9.1 using height
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I just off the phone with Pioneer tech support and they said:
The SC-37 amp (no external amp is needed) in the unit will drive all 9 outs to the speakers if you are listening to a 7.1 encoded disc. 5.1 will not play thru 9.1 and it will only play thru 7.1 if Dolby IIx is selected. With 5.1 you must choose between the front height or rear surround speakers, IIz or IIx.

Well that's funny I just got off the phone with a pioneer tech and he said under no circumstances will all 9 speakers play at once, only front heights or surround backs. I know for a fact the 7.1 encoded disk does not work be because I was trying that angle last night.

I even asked if adding a separate amp just for these channels would work and he repeated himself "NO, only 7.1 at any given time". He even told me he has no idea why they would have mentioned 9.1 in the manual because they have even tried it at there offices and there is noway to get all 9 speakers to work at once.

I knew something was up as soon as I read the specs page and it only mentioned driving 7.1

Oh well, now do I cancel my order for the speakers I intended to use as front heights? I don't really see the point at this point.......
Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinefski View Post

Well that's funny I just got off the phone with a pioneer tech and he said under no circumstances will all 9 speakers play at once, only front heights or surround backs. I know for a fact the 7.1 encoded disk does not work be because I was trying that angle last night.

I even asked if adding a separate amp just for these channels would work and he repeated himself "NO, only 7.1 at any given time". He even told me he has no idea why they would have mentioned 9.1 in the manual because they have even tried it at there offices and there is noway to get all 9 speakers to work at once.

I knew something was up as soon as I read the specs page and it only mentioned driving 7.1

Oh well, now do I cancel my order for the speakers I intended to use as front heights? I don't really see the point at this point.......

Something is wrong somewhere. The Dolby site even said that a 7.1 disk will play thru a 9.1 reciever. The Pio Tech guy I talked with told me that the SC-37 will play 9.1 with the amps in the unit if the 9.1 is setup properly. Have youi gone thru the setup? I don't have my unit yet but will be tonite. I'll be setting it up and will see what is what. In the speaker menu setup in calibration with the pink tone, do you get a tone from all 9 outs and sub? If you do, then it will play.

Bill