post #4381 of 4491 Old 04-23-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaR1 View Post

I recently connected 2 outdoor patio speaker to zone 2. I have noticed that when both zone 1 & 2 are on, there is delay between the two zone. One zone sound comes behind the other. This become annoying since my patio is almost a outside living situation where you can hear oth zones at the same time. Any idea on how to fix this?

not really...Denon & Marantz owners have also talked about the same issue, IIRC. if I recall the chatter, it's because of digital processing & surround in the main room vs. 2 ch in the zones, very small delays going thru DSP vs switched 2 ch.

you could experiment the lip-sync settings in Audio Parameters but there is no direct setting to introduce or change delay in zones. none exists.

there are 2 possible workarounds I can think of but no guarantees.

one is to use Pure Direct for your source plus turn off the MCACC preset (MCACC Off) so no processing at all when you use zone 2/3. another might be to use a B speaker configuration and use B terminals but then you'd be limited to 1) one pair of speakers 2) can only play the same source as what's in the main room. zone 2/3 can be independent sources.

maybe someone else has some other ideas or recalls the technical discussion in threads.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4491 Old 04-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So today I come home & put in a Disney movie for the kids & I notice it seems quiter than normal. I initially thought the sub wasn't working but it is. I get sound from all channels, but it is definitely quieter. I have tried all different sources & listening modes. I even powered it down from my Panamax & that didn't do it either. I checked the channel levels & distances thinking that maybe the it wasn't on the right MCACC mode it was professionally calibrated on. Has anyone encountered this before & do you think a reset would fix it? I hope nothing is wrong with it requiring repair.
post #4383 of 4491 Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
This may sound obvious, but have you tried a few different movies? Maybe a different source? Try playing a cd from a cd player, not the bluray player. Maybe try a different bluray player. Might be the player, etc... Maybe switch to one of the other, default, uncalibrated MCACC modes and see if that brings the sound back. Also, are you sure the dynamic volume didn't get activated? What is it, AAC, ACC? Can't recall.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you tried some other sources. Maybe time to try swapping a few HDMI cables. Don't know that it could be the problem, but best to troubleshoot everything.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #4384 of 4491 Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

This may sound obvious, but have you tried a few different movies? Maybe a different source? Try playing a cd from a cd player, not the bluray player. Maybe try a different bluray player. Might be the player, etc... Maybe switch to one of the other, default, uncalibrated MCACC modes and see if that brings the sound back. Also, are you sure the dynamic volume didn't get activated? What is it, AAC, ACC? Can't recall.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you tried some other sources. Maybe time to try swapping a few HDMI cables. Don't know that it could be the problem, but best to troubleshoot everything.

Yeah it's kinda weird & has me worried. I listened to music, different movies, cable TV & it sounds like I am listening at -55 when it is at -45. It is usually at a comfortable level at -45 so that's where I set it to come on at. But when I crank it up it is definitely lacking power. The bass is also not normal either. The other day I fabricated a new Sub cable from my AVR to wall jack with locking connectors because it would lose tension & fall off when I rolled my AV rack back into the closet. That's the only thing I can think might be a problem. But the sub is receiving a signal & all of the other channels seem low too. If it was the amplifier section I would image I'd lose a channel or two & the sub would be normal. I thought HDMI cables too but even with an analog 2 channel input it seems the same. It definitely seems that it is on the outputs not an input, source or listening mode. That's why I was wondering if a reset might do it, but does it cause loss of settings if I do? Not a big deal if it does but I hate try it & have to enter everything again if it won't work. It also never shuts down or flashes any lights.
post #4385 of 4491 Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess, I'm not sure if it resets everything, I think it probably would, but I'm sure someone else can chime in. With all of the damn features on these two AVRs, it's more than possible that something could have just gone wonky. You might have to just try the reset procedure.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #4386 of 4491 Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 10
If you reset the AVR, I think you may loose your calibration...

Since he mentioned he fabricated a cable and he suspects, why not simply remove this cable out of the equation?
HTH
post #4387 of 4491 Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
factory reset = lose calibrations & settings you've made. everything goes back to factory defaults, which for MCACC will be 0.0 for its settings.
factory reset = re-do MCACC, input settings, edited input names, audio & video parameters other than defaults, network settings, etc.

Steve
post #4388 of 4491 Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindguy69 View Post

If you reset the AVR, I think you may loose your calibration...

Since he mentioned he fabricated a cable and he suspects, why not simply remove this cable out of the equation?
HTH
That's what I will try tonight when I get home. I didn't have time yesterday to try it, it's kinda a pain to pull it all out.
post #4389 of 4491 Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
factory reset = lose calibrations & settings you've made. everything goes back to factory defaults, which for MCACC will be 0.0 for its settings.
factory reset = re-do MCACC, input settings, edited input names, audio & video parameters other than defaults, network settings, etc.
That was my assumption, I will swap out the cable first.
post #4390 of 4491 Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 AM

I searched this thread and couldn't come up with anything...

I have a SC-35 and yesterday I bought a set of headphones that accept a connection via toslink. I connected my optical cable to the toslink OUT on the receiver and connected it to the input on the headphone amp. I have 3 game consoles and my cable box/dvr all connected via hdmi. For some reason I don't get any sound unless I connect the headphone amp directly to the console or cable box, is this normal? is the optical out shut off by default or is it a compatibility issue? thanks for any suggestions.

PSN: havuk
XBL: havuk
post #4391 of 4491 Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcho View Post

I searched this thread and couldn't come up with anything...

I have a SC-35 and yesterday I bought a set of headphones that accept a connection via toslink. I connected my optical cable to the toslink OUT on the receiver and connected it to the input on the headphone amp. I have 3 game consoles and my cable box/dvr all connected via hdmi. For some reason I don't get any sound unless I connect the headphone amp directly to the console or cable box, is this normal? is the optical out shut off by default or is it a compatibility issue? thanks for any suggestions.

the key part of your post is what I bolded. the receiver cannot take an HDMI signal and cross convert it to a digital/analog direct output. the manual clearly says this in the multizone section. no receiver converts HDMI to digital/analog for switching purposes or another form of output. HDMI audio stays HDMI audio. this is no different than how video is handled...while you can convert upconvert analog video to HDMI, you can't convert HDMI video to analog.

the parallel circuit path for audio side is:
HDMI input >> internal DSP's for processing >> DAC's >> analog preamps >> analog amps
plus
HDMI input >> HDMI receiver chipset >> HDMI transmitter chipset to HDMI outputs

the circuit path for video side is:
HDMI input >> HDMI receiver chipset >> video processor in or out of the loop >> HDMI transmitter to HDMI outputs

the 2 options for you are:

-use the analog headphone jack on the front panel
-connect your game consoles/cable box with optical & use the SIGNAL SELECT remote button to choose Digital audio instead of Auto or HDMI - that should allow toslink output to be used

Steve
post #4392 of 4491 Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

the key part of your post is what I bolded. the receiver cannot take an HDMI signal and cross convert it to a digital/analog direct output. the manual clearly says this in the multizone section. no receiver converts HDMI to digital/analog for switching purposes or another form of output. HDMI audio stays HDMI audio. this is no different than how video is handled...while you can convert upconvert analog video to HDMI, you can't convert HDMI video to analog.

the parallel circuit path for audio side is:
HDMI input >> internal DSP's for processing >> DAC's >> analog preamps >> analog amps
plus
HDMI input >> HDMI receiver chipset >> HDMI transmitter chipset to HDMI outputs

the circuit path for video side is:
HDMI input >> HDMI receiver chipset >> video processor in or out of the loop >> HDMI transmitter to HDMI outputs

the 2 options for you are:

-use the analog headphone jack on the front panel
-connect your game consoles/cable box with optical & use the SIGNAL SELECT remote button to choose Digital audio instead of Auto or HDMI - that should allow toslink output to be used

thanks for the info, I did see that in the manual but wasn't 100% sure it was referring to my situation. seems like hdmi causes more issues than its worth sometimes, I used to be able to play a game and listen to the radio or another signal at the same time, but the hdmi security has made that impossible.

PSN: havuk
XBL: havuk
post #4393 of 4491 Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The SC-37 receiver is a beast and I read the hometheater review two years ago,and since I have 600 hundred series BW's speakers,that's why I brought this receiver,the set up was easy and I set my speakers on small and the crossover frequency 100hz and play everything on thx-mode,the soundfield is outstanding and the video upscaler from marvel is good also,the bad about this receiver is Hdmi control sucks at times,but everything else is good especially what I paid for it.
post #4394 of 4491 Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For people using DTV what's the average vol level? Im between 16-21 I have Polk audio in wall speakers and my surrounds are Phoenix gold in the ceiling. For the Dune media player I'm at about 20 which seems pretty load!
post #4395 of 4491 Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloZoe View Post

For people using DTV what's the average vol level? Im between 16-21 I have Polk audio in wall speakers and my surrounds are Phoenix gold in the ceiling. For the Dune media player I'm at about 20 which seems pretty load!
I set my volume to come on at -45 which is a comfortable level in my system for a power on level. I set max volume at zero. I accidentally killed my center channel (Def Tech Mythos Ten) listening to music above zero when the amp clipped. It's starts to get pretty loud at -35 to -30 depending upon the source. Everyone's situation will be different depending upon the room, gear & how it's setup.
post #4396 of 4491 Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

I set my volume to come on at -45 which is a comfortable level in my system for a power on level. I set max volume at zero. I accidentally killed my center channel (Def Tech Mythos Ten) listening to music above zero when the amp clipped. It's starts to get pretty loud at -35 to -30 depending upon the source. Everyone's situation will be different depending upon the room, gear & how it's setup.

The volume settings are in the negative range, I've never gone past 0 over to positive
post #4397 of 4491 Old 04-28-2013, 09:31 AM

Up to +12 I think.
post #4398 of 4491 Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
If you're correctly calibrated, then it's not so strange if you never play in the positive range, the majority of people never play as loud as reference (0). Then again, some people play at +20 which puts quite higher demands on speakers and power... But they are VERY few.

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4399 of 4491 Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm usually listening anywhere from -15 to -30. And in very, very, very rare cases, louder. I can't imagine listening in the + range. I can imagine someone with a large, dedicated theater room would. But, otherwise, no way.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote:
post #4400 of 4491 Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Typically i run -27 for nominal listening, up to -10 for some CDs or Video disks when I want to immerse myself, but not too often. Main speakers are Spendor S5e's. For LPs, I usually run about -6: my cartridge is low output (B&O MMC2). I occasionally go into the positive range on LPs, phone preamp is still quiet at that gain.
post #4401 of 4491 Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
For well recorded high dynamic music +5 or +10 is ok. Movies? I think -15 is the most I've eever considered watching anything for real in the tv-room. How the cinema will behave is another matter, but it's designed to cope with Ref.

Under construction:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4402 of 4491 Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 AM

I am attempting to connect my MacBook Pro to my Pioneer SC-37 receiver to watch movies with 5.1 sound. Currently, I am able to view movies and stereo audio through an HDMI connection. I read on MacForums, I can connect to a receiver via optical audio output to get the full 5.1 sound. I purchased the neccessary cable and connected it to the optical audio inputs, then went to the input menu in system setup. However, the menu options to allow "HDMI 2" to use audio optical is "greyed out" - my only options are Input Skip, 12V Trigger1&2. Any ideas how to fix this?
post #4403 of 4491 Old 05-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydean View Post

I am attempting to connect my MacBook Pro to my Pioneer SC-37 receiver to watch movies with 5.1 sound. Currently, I am able to view movies and stereo audio through an HDMI connection. I read on MacForums, I can connect to a receiver via optical audio output to get the full 5.1 sound. I purchased the neccessary cable and connected it to the optical audio inputs, then went to the input menu in system setup. However, the menu options to allow "HDMI 2" to use audio optical is "greyed out" - my only options are Input Skip, 12V Trigger1&2. Any ideas how to fix this?
If my memory serves me correct I believe the only HDMI input that you can use optical on is HDMI 1.
post #4404 of 4491 Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 AM

^^^
Correct me if I am wrong, but HDMI control must be turned off first in order to be able to select a non-HDMI audio source )such as Optical).

HTH
post #4405 of 4491 Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM

post #4406 of 4491 Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 AM

I have 2 questions and need help:

1. Is the RCA zone 2/zone 3 output line level only? I recently purchased an amp to drive an outdoor speaker system and wired it via rca to the zone 2 outputs. I am using my 7th channel speaker outputs for 7.1 sound. However, using zone2/zone 3 RCA I can't figure out how to adjust volume and it's driving me nuts. I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting line level only - which is a major drag as I want to have wifi control of volume from outside from the iphone app

2. Again I think the answer is no, but does this amp do anything digital to analog converting through the outputs? I'd like to use my apple tv as the primary music source but the new outdoor amp only accepts analog - do I need to buy an external DAC. If so, any suggestions on something relatively cheap?

Thanks.
post #4407 of 4491 Old 08-04-2013, 03:39 AM

So it seems my SC-37 is not doing well. When I press the power button it simply makes two (2) clicking sounds and turns off. No blue lights anywhere. Not even the iPod light or the standby light.

Anyone experienced this? If so, what was the outcome?

I tried the reset sequence but no change in behavior.

-Trey
post #4408 of 4491 Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 12
You haven't done anything on the back of the unit? Make sure if any exposed speaker wire is not touching each other. Although I doubt this is it, I know I had some issues one time when some speaker wire was touching on another unit I had.

My faith in Pioneer flew out the window when my SC-37 broke after 2.5 years a few weeks ago. I will never buy a Pioneer product again. 2 year warranty on the product IMHO tells the complete story on the quality of the products

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #4409 of 4491 Old 08-04-2013, 07:01 AM

I thought this could be it, but I have disconnected literally everything except the power cord. No inputs. No speakers. No video output. Nada.

I have had it running for nearly three (3) years without a hitch. I've never pushed it to any limits so I suspect it's a power supply problem. Perhaps the Pioneer service center can at least replace the power supply if that is indeed all that is wrong with the unit.

-Trey
post #4410 of 4491 Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 AM

Liked: 12
Depends on the cost of the power supply and installation. The repair place by me wanted 75 just to look at it.

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=SC-37&x=24&y=1

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page