"Official" Pioneer Elite SC-37 - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4531 of 4556 Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys,I've been doing some research on the SC-37 that I own. And though it has a 32 bit? Does this allow all the input and outputs to b processed by this chip? I've read the manual ,and it states this ? The reason ,is that I sit hear and distinguishe between 16 bit,24 bit,32 bit? I cannot hear the diff ? Except a wider stage? Which I know is from the higher bit count? However,I can tell a diff when listening to Daft Punk in 24bit on YouTube? I'm playing the same CD in my Onkyo 7030 ? The soundstage is so much wider listening to YouTube verses CD? This absolutely blowed me away! I am using MIT Shotgun cables for CD player. Is it the player or ,and if so,will the OPPO b the same with the sc37? I wish I could audition some of these components,but only thing we have here is BB. Which is depressing. Anyone want to open a HIFI store in Shreveport LA? Lol..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4556 Old 12-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post
Guys,I've been doing some research on the SC-37 that I own. And though it has a 32 bit? Does this allow all the input and outputs to b processed by this chip? I've read the manual ,and it states this ? The reason ,is that I sit hear and distinguishe between 16 bit,24 bit,32 bit? I cannot hear the diff ? Except a wider stage? Which I know is from the higher bit count? However,I can tell a diff when listening to Daft Punk in 24bit on YouTube? I'm playing the same CD in my Onkyo 7030 ? The soundstage is so much wider listening to YouTube verses CD? This absolutely blowed me away! I am using MIT Shotgun cables for CD player. Is it the player or ,and if so,will the OPPO b the same with the sc37? I wish I could audition some of these components,but only thing we have here is BB. Which is depressing. Anyone want to open a HIFI store in Shreveport LA? Lol..
Where are you getting 24bit audio from YouTube? This is the first I've hard of this, link?
post #4533 of 4556 Old 12-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Go to YouTube,and search for Samantha James 24 bit? It's going to show u if u look ? HD video's which is just expanded to b louder? I found this out of curiosity,and there are quite a few different recordings in 24 bit,and HD
post #4534 of 4556 Old 12-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Oh,make sure that u have a at least a 24 bit processor in order to process and hear the distinction? I'm sure u know this? Lol..Hope u enjoy it? I have,and it's free at that!

Last edited by dabsim; 12-21-2014 at 02:45 PM.
post #4535 of 4556 Old 01-04-2015, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SC-37 Remote Question

I just recently got a new Apple TV. I have not had any issues with the SC-37 remote controlling my cable box and other components. When I used the SC-37 remote to learn the IR codes for the Apple TV and then use the RF adapter / IR blasters, every time I press a button, it does it twice. So if I move to the right on the home screen with one click, it moves two icons.

I have found that others on the Harmony message boards are having some of the same issues. They are either setting the Apple remote code 2058 directly into the remote or they are changing the delays from their RF / IR blasters. I cannot find Apple as a listed name in the SC-37 remote (not supported I guess) and I cannot find anywhere to change any delays in the SC-37 RF adapter / IR blasters.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas? Thanks for the help!
post #4536 of 4556 Old 01-04-2015, 10:34 AM

I have just verified that it is the RF adapter / IR blaster. Everything works great via regular IR. When I turn on the RF adapter control and use the blasters, it starts again.

I thought that it may be reflections or something along those lines but none of my other components do that.
post #4537 of 4556 Old 01-04-2015, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaR1 View Post
after owning a SC-37 for more than 3 years I finally ran a network cable to my living room where the receiver is hoping to utilize the network/internet radio features of the receiver. I connected the wires and went to the network setup page. I noticed that the receiver had obtained an IP address from my routers DHCP. I could also see the receiver on my routers list of connected devices.

However, I am not able to pass the H.M.G start page. It just sits there giving me a message stating it's connecting to a server, please wait. But it does not go any further.

I went back to the network setup page and turned of DHCP and assigned a static IP address. When I entered all the relative information and click on "ok", I get a message stating "network Setup, Applying settings" but it also does not pass this page. It remains on this page until I turn off the receiver.

I wanted to find out if anyone else had this issue and if so, how were you able to fix it. thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmill View Post
I have just encountered a similar issue after finally trying to connect to the network. I attached the ethernet cable and went to the set up page just as you did. and the "applying settings" message is now permanently frozen at this point in the set up. The first time this happened I was able to reboot and clear the frozen page, but now it is permanently stuck. The rest of the receiver functions are fine.
I had a similar problem. I ran an ethernet cable, one which I know is good, and it would not connect to the network. I went into the network and IP settings menu and set DHCP to On, then hit OK. I got the message "applying network settings" and it would never go past that. The rest of the receiver functions still work fine, but whenever I go back to the network and IP menu, it still says applying settings...even after I've had the receiver shut off.

I suspect if I did a reset on the receiver, it would clear this, but a) it would blow away all the rest of my settings and b) I'd probably be no closer to getting my receiver networked. I skimmed through the next page or so after the two posts above and didn't see any replies to this issue, and none were apparent in a forum search I did, so I'm giving this question a bump in hopes of seeing if any resolution was ever identified. Thanks!

Pioneer Elite SC-37 receiver
Panasonic TC-P65V10 plasma TV
Oppo BDP-103 BD player
Sony ES C79ES 5-disc CD carousel/Pioneer CLD-D701 Laserdisc player
Paradigm Monitor 9 mains/Paradigm CC-350 center
Paradigm AMS-300 rears/SVS PC12 Plus sub
post #4538 of 4556 Old 01-06-2015, 07:08 AM

I too have the exact same issue?? I've tried everything I know of with no results? I would call Pioneer ,but I will b on hold for an hour ! Bad cus serv!
However,I will tell u this other news? I just connected a DH Labs Power Plus power cable with new iec connectors on each end? Guys,it's as though my SC-37 May breath now !! Only way I can explain ? Its truly amazing how a cable can make such sonic improvement ? It's as though I added an DAC or some sort of processor? No exaggeration here,and I never believed in diff wires or cable's until 6 months ago? Till then,I've down talked diff wires ,cable's etc...
Guys ,go to EBay ,and get the two pieces for $ 50?
If u buy it together it's $300?

Last edited by dabsim; 01-06-2015 at 07:09 AM.
post #4539 of 4556 Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Every component in my system is wired with DH Labs Power Plus Reference AC cable. I'll be replacing the AC cables on my power conditioners with them next. Good stuff.

Was the SC-35/37 the last Pioneer receivers to use ICE amps?
post #4540 of 4556 Old 01-06-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrb View Post
Was the SC-35/37 the last Pioneer receivers to use ICE amps?
yes, the last to use B&O's Icepower modules.

the following year's (SC-57/55) used a different & new class D amp design, using an International Rectifier chip amp. Said to be better because less complex & superior design. I can't recall the technical reasons why but could dig them up if you really needed to know.

Steve
post #4541 of 4556 Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
I too have the exact same issue?? I've tried everything I know of with no results? I would call Pioneer ,but I will b on hold for an hour ! Bad cus serv!
However,I will tell u this other news? I just connected a DH Labs Power Plus power cable with new iec connectors on each end? Guys,it's as though my SC-37 May breath now !! Only way I can explain ? Its truly amazing how a cable can make such sonic improvement ? It's as though I added an DAC or some sort of processor? No exaggeration here,and I never believed in diff wires or cable's until 6 months ago? Till then,I've down talked diff wires ,cable's etc...
Guys ,go to EBay ,and get the two pieces for $ 50?
If u buy it together it's $300?
A power cable improved the sound? I don't believe in those things. You paid that much for a cable???? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DH-Labs-Powe...-/360860318452

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 01-06-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #4542 of 4556 Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

the following year's (SC-57/55) used a different & new class D amp design, using an International Rectifier chip amp. Said to be better because less complex & superior design. I can't recall the technical reasons why but could dig them up if you really needed to know.

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised at just how good the Pioneer receivers with Icepower sound. I've been around technology long enough to know that sometimes things change more for economic reasons that benefit the manufacturer more than they benefit the end user. What is the consensus among users? Do the later versions sound the same, better or worse?
post #4543 of 4556 Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

If I recall correctly, The D3 amp has a shorter signal path. As for SQ difference. I have heard the new amp and still have my SC 35 for comparison. I have not heard a big difference to make me sell the SC 35 for that reason.

I may be looking for a new Pioneer Elite for dolby atmos this year.
post #4544 of 4556 Old 01-07-2015, 07:20 PM

So I take it, no solutions on the frozen network settings menu problem?

Oppo BDP-103 BD player
post #4545 of 4556 Old 01-10-2015, 08:09 AM

Hey I too am ,and have been waiting for a year now how to get my HMG to work??? Still exact problem?
And I too am very curious about wether getting a new sc 85- sc 89? I know from what ive read ,and I really wonder if the new Sabre DAC is as good if not better than what we have the ICE? I truly love my sc 37!!! I listen %70- %30 music. And I can hear a diff with the 32 bit ? Im looking to hear some feeback??
post #4546 of 4556 Old 01-10-2015, 10:33 AM

So, yesterday I bit the bullet and called Pioneer about the problem. The service rep asked if I had done the all reset option yet. I replied that I had not because it would clear all my other settings, and probably still wouldn't fix the problem with the frozen IP address menu. She stated that it would either fix the problem, or it wouldn't, and if it didn't the receiver would have to go in for service, in which case all the settings would get cleared anyway. I asked if there had been any service bulletins on this issue. She said there had not, so it was not a pervasive problem, but rather probably just a bad NIC card, which even happens to brand new receivers.

So, all in all, it was not very helpful. I am pondering now what to do. I may try the reset, or not, depending on how big a pain I decide it is to have to redo all my other settings. Certainly, I will not send the receiver in for service, as I wouldn't want to be without it for the weeks this would take, and the problem is just not that big enough of a problem for me to make that sacrifice. I really only wanted to network it so I could use the remote control app on my iPhone. As for as the HMG, I can access my media through my BD player, which has a wireless connection.

Oppo BDP-103 BD player
post #4547 of 4556 Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM

Arrow Freezing Network and H.M.G issue

Sorry I took so long, it's been 2 years since I came here...Nevertheless, I am sorry to report I had the exact same issue i.e. Network setting stuck, freeze or H.M.G. Stand by. I had to service the unit and got the main board replaced free of charge Under warranty )Elite have longer warranty here in Canada), since the faulty processor was integrated on the main board.

It is now running just fine, with H.M.G., and the newly updated Pioneer iOS iControlAV app .
Hope this helps!
post #4548 of 4556 Old 04-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Well I found out that Pioneer has sold out there AVR line , and with this? I went our and bought a Yamaha Adventage a-3040? I can tell u that the Yamaha does sound a little better than the sc37. And I can listen to the internet radio finally? I'm so glad I didn't get a new sc89!!
post #4549 of 4556 Old 04-24-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Well I found out that Pioneer has sold out there AVR line , and with this? I went our and bought a Yamaha Adventage a-3040? I can tell u that the Yamaha does sound a little better than the sc37. And I can listen to the internet radio finally? I'm so glad I didn't get a new sc89!!
My internet radio works fine on my SC-37, but when 4k becomes full bloom, I'm going to sell mines.
post #4550 of 4556 Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Count yourself very lucky! There are several owners of our model, and it's spp common with the board that carries all the video and the like goes out due to a resister on that board? Really count yourself lucky? I also own a Pioneer sc1222k which it also want do internet? And it really sucks with sound ! When u do get ready for a new AVR? Get a Yamaha Adventage line? I chose the 32 bit 9016 ESS DAC chip . The Pioneer sc 37 has what? BB or Wolfson 32 bit chip? This was the pinnacle in my decision besides Pioneer selling out there AVR line. Can u tell me which chip the 37 has? I would like to know? I can tell u that the Yamaha has a much lower floor level with more clarity. The Pioneer sc37 does sound very nice indeed! And I'm very finicky with my music and clarity with music and how each component and how it reflects the reproduction. I own two Pioneer AVRs, and I just wouldn't choose them again now that I've heard the new Adventage line? I wouldn't have chosen the lesser Adventage line with the 9006 ESS chip? Doesn't compare with the higher sc models only because the chip? I know the new sc model have the same CHIP? But I'm tired of having two very expensive AVR and all the functions don't work after a year? Look on YouTube? Bunch of other brands but Yamaha being fixed? Look it up? All the other brands especially Pioneer and Onkyo? Bunch of Onkyo! Bunch! Sorry,I got carried away here? I just wanted u guys to know that if you're going to spend 2.000.00 on a new AVR? But Yamaha? I'm glad I did it , and my ears really appreciate it.
post #4551 of 4556 Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What a peculiar posting with all comments being questions, looks like a troll posting..

FWIW, my SC-37 has never required any service and all functions work. The AM/FM tuner is not very good, but an under $100 used Denon TU-1500 took care of that and will likely be used with my next AVR. (BTW, I tried a couple Yamaha tuners; none sounded very good, not much better than the SC-37 internal one.) The phono input is better than most, but not quite up to a good external preamp; have not settled on my final choice for a phono preamp. Internet radio sounds good, but the interface is atrocious.

According to the service manual, the DACs are TI PCM1691DCA units. I like their sound better than the DACs in an OPPO 93.

My SC-37 is staying put in my rack unless it dies or I need some function that cannot be provided by a simple external box, really like its sound and it works well with my Spendor S5e mains.
post #4552 of 4556 Old 04-25-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the way he post. I'm guessing english is not his first language and he's using google translate.

As for sound quality. I haven't heard yamaha before, i'm sure it sounds good, but i don't have any problems with the way my SC37 sounds. I like the clean dynamic SQ it puts out. Like you ,Spacedave, i have no plans to sell this receiver. There's really no reason to. I don't care about all these gimmicky new features they're adding to AVR's. All i want is good SQ. I'm not getting anything 4K anytime soon either.

home theater addict
post #4553 of 4556 Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 AM

Liked: 0
SC-35 volume jumps at commercials

My SC-35 history started out bad when at 2 months old it dies with blinking blue lights. I bought it on Ebay 4 years ago for $740. When i called for service i was told no warranty on Ebay purchase. I called 2 days later and never was asked where i bought it just an address to take it to and they repaired it free. My problem these days is when watching TV when it switches from a show to a commercial sometimes id say once a week the volume will jump very loud during a commercial then go back where it was when the ad ends. Any idea what this is? When with DTV this didnt happen, im now with Brighthouse cable. For longevity of these amps its strange being i was dead at 2 months old, yet since reapir i run my SC-35 non stop, it only turns off during power outages. So it has 3+ years of 24-7 on it. Back to the audio jump its something to do with ads when they arent digital or something, i see the radio change from digital to other settings all the time during ads.
I was just shocked to see these amps still sell for as much as $600 on Ebay, talk about holding value, its the Tacoma of stereos.
post #4554 of 4556 Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Dialog norm maby? Do you see a + or - DB signal when the commercial comes on?

home theater addict
post #4555 of 4556 Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Right now I'm using my SC-37 on my new 4k Panasonic AX-800, from my experience 1080p sources look great on 4k TV's, by Christmas I will get new receiver or amp and processor.
post #4556 of 4556 Old 06-11-2015, 04:40 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Dialog norm maby? Do you see a + or - DB signal when the commercial comes on?
It changes from one dialog to another and the volume changes, sometimes it only jumps for a split second. It does it everytime John Stewart goes from ads to the show. A quick spike in volume then normal stereo that we get with Brighthouse and Stewart. Its something the receiver isnt understanding. It didnt do this when i was on DTV. Its got me ready to buy a new receiver, its so annoying, especialy if ya fall asleep with it on and in midddle of night audio cranks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page