"Official" Pioneer Elite SC-37 - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4561 of 4566 Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post
If you are buying today you should just get a SC-85 or higher.

Just looked at the current Elite AVRs. They have significantly cut down on legacy inputs. I would need an outboard composite/stereo switch box to fit in my components - laserdisc, VCR, external tuner, external phono preamp, cassette deck, DVD recorder, CDR. Looks as though I keep my SC-37 until it breaks, then look away from Pioneer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4566 Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Most manufacturers are dropping legacy inputs. Make sure whatever you choose has everything you need, or that you have another solution (like the switch box).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4563 of 4566 Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedave View Post
Just looked at the current Elite AVRs. They have significantly cut down on legacy inputs. I would need an outboard composite/stereo switch box to fit in my components - laserdisc, VCR, external tuner, external phono preamp, cassette deck, DVD recorder, CDR. Looks as though I keep my SC-37 until it breaks, then look away from Pioneer.
Not to be harsh but most of the technology you are trying to keep around if now pretty dated, you likely already know this. Considering the AVR is mean to be on the cutting edge I would expect that you will lose most of those imports. "Composite" will certainly be the first to go away.

Not to judge but what are you using a cassette deck for at this point?
post #4564 of 4566 Old Today, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not to judge but what are you using a cassette deck for at this point?[/QUOTE]

Now and again, I find a cassette that I cannot find in other formats, especially older private issues from concerts. In order to play and copy it to CDR, I need a cassette deck. The same is true for the laserdisc player and VCR, have many discs and tapes that never made it to DVD, hence need for laserdisc player,VCR and DVR.

Same for phono. Ever try to find E. Power Biggs recordings on CD? Very little of his vast vinyl catalog was issued on CD (never transferred Daquin and Sweelinck to mention a couple favorites) and many of the CD transfers do not sound as good as the LP, which is why I need an external phono preamp. CDR transfers of LPs never seem to sound as good as the LP.
post #4565 of 4566 Old Today, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Not to judge but what are you using a cassette deck for at this point?

Now and again, I find a cassette that I cannot find in other formats, especially older private issues from concerts. In order to play and copy it to CDR, I need a cassette deck. The same is true for the laserdisc player and VCR, have many discs and tapes that never made it to DVD, hence need for laserdisc player,VCR and DVR.

Same for phono. Ever try to find E. Power Biggs recordings on CD? Very little of his vast vinyl catalog was issued on CD (never transferred Daquin and Sweelinck to mention a couple favorites) and many of the CD transfers do not sound as good as the LP, which is why I need an external phono preamp. CDR transfers of LPs never seem to sound as good as the LP.[/QUOTE]

So you are in fact using this tech because it is completely necessary. I would maybe work on building a conversion solution and switch away but that might be more work than it is worth. The LP(maybe get one with the phono inside it, in case that gets dropped?) should always be functional, I don't see how RCA sound can go anywhere as it is still a very professional format. The conversion rate is not high enough would be the reason for the CDR to not sound as good.

If you can get a audio interface that can record 96kHz at 24 bit then you will get 100% of the LP(sure LP might still have more but you can't hear it and more importantly speakers can't even output that digital sound, it's beyond their capability.) I have a M-Audio ProFire 610 that can do this.

Also as for your LaserDiscs, you could capture card it and using Adobe tools up convert it to HD. Sorry not saying you want help or ideas on how to move away from old tech but somethings seem pretty static like LD's as far as whats out there.
post #4566 of 4566 Old Today, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Not to judge but what are you using a cassette deck for at this
point?
Quote:

Same for phono. Ever try to find E. Power Biggs recordings on CD? Very little of his vast vinyl catalog was issued on CD (never transferred Daquin and Sweelinck to mention a couple favorites) and many of the CD transfers do not sound as good as the LP, which is why I need an external phono preamp. CDR transfers of LPs never seem to sound as good as the LP.
Don't see a need to justify this; just shows a good long time of enjoying music and video.

It's what you need and dumping a whole lot of good content to chase an ephemeral improvement is useless.

There's plenty of content that is either nonexistent or worse in current tech given the loudness wars, the vagaries of recording studio techs, changing tastes, etc. I'm still doing vinyl despite my NAS, so keep on with your setup, sounds good to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors