AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post

Now that's great advice.
I have the SC-05 and I have the upgrade bug, so I'm thinking of this unit or maybe the SC-27 which really won't be much of a upgrade. OR maybe a Denon equivalent.
Anyways thanks for your advice on the heights.....

I think about upgrading as well, but I want the receiver to be able to power 3 zones without external amps. I am scared about losing the ICE power amps though.

Juan

My HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

I think about upgrading as well, but I want the receiver to be able to power 3 zones without external amps. I am scared about losing the ICE power amps though.

The ICE amps are excellent, they can be alittle bright. But I go into the mccap set-up and tweek the sound. This is why I would like to stay with Pioneer Elites receivers. The Denon's you can't do this.
post #453 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

@ SS9001: STOP BITCHING
So, get off your high horse, and pick a receiver that meets your needs and stop BITCHING!

I can do that. No problem if people don't want to know the "flip side" of the coin.

You should be aware that I've owned Pioneer gear since the late 70's with a 1st gen laserdisc player. Like the old Magnavox Discovisions. Over the yrs I've owned 4 Pioneer laserdisc players, at $700-1500 a clip and bought 300 laserdiscs, many of them pressed by Pioneer Entertainment.

Bought & sold 2 Pio consumer Dolby surround receivers, 2 flagship receivers that cost me $2900 each, 2 flagship Pio DVD players at $1000 ea, a Pioneer Elite CRT RPTV at $3800, the SC-09 for $5700, Pioneer's BDP-05 BD player at $700 and suffered thru its quirks. Last year plunked down $5K and ~$2K for a Kuro 151 & BDP-09 respectively.

That makes about $35,000+ I have spent with Pioneer.
How about you? Care to compare?

I think my $35000 with Pioneer gives me the privilege to comment, praise, point out shortcomings, and BITCH if I want. You don't like it, put me on your ignore list. But you'll be missing someone who has supported the brand and knows a whole lot more than you do about their products. And yes, I am looking at alternatives now, but that doesn't mean I don't like the Pioneer gear I own or bought.

I try to be objective & if I think Pioneer f'd up, I'll post it. You want pollyanna, you won't get it from me.

But I get the point. I'll cool my jets.

Steve
post #454 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I can do that. No problem if it offends you.

You should be aware that I've owned Pioneer gear since the late 70's with a 1st gen GAS laserdisc player. Like the old Magnavox Discovisions. Over the yrs I've owned 4 Pioneer laserdisc players, at $700-1500 a clip and bought 300 laserdiscs, many of them pressed by Pioneer Entertainment.

Bought & sold 2 Pio consumer Dolby surround receivers. Bought & sold 2 previous flagship receivers that cost me $2900 each. Bought a Pioneer Elite RPTV at $3500, bought the Pioneer SC-09 for $5600, bought Pioneer's BD -05 BD player at $700 and suffered thru its quirks. Last year plunked down $5K and $2K for a Kuro 151 & BDP-09 respectively.

That makes about $35,000 or more I have spent with Pioneer.
How about you?

The only other receivers I've ever owned was a quad Harmon-Kardon which was junk (H-K still is junk reliability-wise) and Sansui flagship quad unit at $1100 in 1978 dollars.

I think my $35000 with Pioneer gives me the privilege to comment, praise, point out shortcomings, and BITCH if I want. You don't like it, put me on your ignore list. But you'll be missing someone who has supported the brand and knows a whole lot more than you do about their products.

BITCH BITCH BITCH. OK I get the point. I'll stop. If everyone wants to read posts singing nothing but praises about this receiver and put their heads in the sand about "issues", that's fine with me.

Nope not here, I welcome your knowledge and experience with Pionner products. I have spent quite a bit on Pioneer equipment as well (not as much as you) but I think the end is coming since their receivers are falling more and more behind and them not making Kuros anymore.

Juan

My HT
post #455 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can do that. No problem if it offends you.

You should be aware that I've owned Pioneer gear since the late 70's with a 1st gen GAS laserdisc player. Like the old Magnavox Discovisions. Over the yrs I've owned 4 Pioneer laserdisc players, at $700-1500 a clip and bought 300 laserdiscs, many of them pressed by Pioneer Entertainment.

Bought & sold 2 Pio consumer Dolby surround receivers. Bought & sold 2 previous flagship receivers that cost me $2900 each. Bought a Pioneer Elite RPTV at $3500, bought the Pioneer SC-09 for $5600, bought Pioneer's BD -05 BD player at $700 and suffered thru its quirks. Last year plunked down $5K and $2K for a Kuro 151 & BDP-09 respectively.

That makes about $35,000 or more I have spent with Pioneer.
How about you?

The only other receivers I've ever owned was a quad Harmon-Kardon which was junk (H-K still is junk reliability-wise) and Sansui flagship quad unit at $1100 in 1978 dollars.

I think my $35000 with Pioneer gives me the privilege to comment, praise, point out shortcomings, and BITCH if I want. You don't like it, put me on your ignore list. But you'll be missing someone who has supported the brand and knows a whole lot more than you do about their products. And yes, I am looking at alternatives now, but that doesn't mean I don't like Pioneer as you can see. I try to be hardnosed objective about products I own.

BITCH BITCH BITCH. OK I get the point. I'll stop. If everyone wants to read posts singing nothing but praises about this receiver and don't want discussion on the "issues", that's fine with me.

LOL! Funny post... ok, at least you've been a Pioneer customer in the past. I just think it's unfair to expect EVERYTHING from a company that's done an incredible job giving us all that's included in SC-37.

I've worked in a consumer electronics company before and it is IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy all customers, specially these days where *majority* of consumers are more about features and bells and whistles instead of pure quality (sound, build, reliability). Hence, some of the hard core folks may feel left behind... but we all gotto admit it's a business and HAS to sell to stay in business, specially in this shitey economy.

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
post #456 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, the only thing I want to hear are the shortcomings. Gripe all youu want.
post #457 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

LOL! Funny post... ok, at least you've been a Pioneer customer in the past. I just think it's unfair to expect EVERYTHING from a company that's done an incredible job giving us all that's included in SC-37.

they've hardly done an "incredible job"... the sc-37 is an evolutionary product (with very little evolution, no less)... the sc-07 was the revolutionary product... the chassis hasn't changed in 3 years...

to expect slightly more than a "minor" dsp change (and yes, i was in the software field for 25 years, i know there is no such thing as a "minor" dsp change... ), to redirect 2 channels isn't exactly overreaching...

edit: btw, steve gets alpha fanboy status... i was too broke in those days to get a laserdisc player, only had 2 flags (amoungst a bunch of others and pio amps and an integrated or two, one of which i still use), and never got suckered in buying an 09 bdp...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #458 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Well.. I own an Onkyo 805 so for me is a revolutionary change
post #459 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At the risk of being accused of BITCHING again , if enthusiasts and people like us don't point out negatives, shortcomings, and things the company can do better...

who's going to keep them honest and want to improve?

Pioneer is a company that frustrates me. Come out with some of the best in class receivers & players but leave this or that out when their competitor's include it, or let economics (a biggie) take over designing new models.

Ignoring the inclusion of HDMI 1.4, PLIIz & a few bells & whistlestops (), what did Pioneer do differently in the SC-37 that's not in the SC-27? They actually TOOK out some connections which coincidentally lowers THEIR cost while the consumer pays about the same. Paying the same for less is not what I'd call an upgrade to the consumer

You'll get full 3D & if that's a must-have this yr, the 37 is a good choice. But, if you have no interest in 3D for a few yrs or don't want to experiment with height/wide speakers & already own a 27, it makes no sense to trade. By the time you do plan on doing 3D, 3D will either be defunct (!) or there'll be a NEW receiver to buy.

The SC-09 was revolutionary. I'd call the SC-27/07 evolutionary because they added several real upgrades, like PQLS jitterless signal transfer over HDMI, Iphone capability, and offered real power output just shy of what they put in the 09 for a WHOLE LOT LESS money.

But the 37 is a minor upgrade at best over the previous model. If they had made it 9.1, then I would agree it would be a true upgrade over the 27/07.

Steve
post #460 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

they've hardly done an "incredible job"... the sc-37 is an evolutionary product (with very little evolution, no less)... the sc-07 was the revolutionary product... the chassis hasn't changed in 3 years...

dang-nab it, you keep beating me with the punch lines

I think I need to write less and hit the send button quicker

Steve
post #461 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
I had the '94 before going with the Integra DHC 9.9, and now back with the SC-37. The big thing I noticed was more control with the audio, When you turn off the TV the audio still comes through the speakers (great for music), and the neat screen on the remote with the feed back. I'm driving my mains and L&R surrounds with Carver amps and using the on board amps for the rest.

Bill
post #462 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 239
What the F happened to this thread?

home theater addict
post #463 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

dang-nab it, you keep beating me with the punch lines

I think I need to write less and hit the send button quicker

that's cuz i don't bother to explain, as pointed out earlier...

i see you are catching on to my trick...

anyway... the 9.1 vs. 7.1 mystery has been solved (to the great relief of the free world )... we need more new owners to start opening their toys and giving some more feedback...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #464 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

What the F happened to this thread?

It is in limbo until new owners show up. Think we have 2 now.....,..
post #465 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Chris, Steve, and the rest of the experts, great thread so far. A plethora of valuable information. I owned a Marantz SR7400 since 2004, this 37 is a huge step up for me. The sound is fantastic and life like. I'm still putzing with all of the features/functions. I just run a 5.1 setup in a small to mid-size room. I don't plan on going to a 7.1 untill more BD's are encoded for true 7.1. Besides, I think 7.1 would be overkill for my room size. I just had my plasma isf cal'd through the 37 using the upconvert/scale to 1080/60and the picture looks amazing.
I don't like how you have to have HDMI control on to use ARC, due to the fact that everytime the you power on the system it automatically goes to the TV/Sat input and it won't execpt a macro command to any HDMI source. There should be function to use ARC without turning on control.

All in all, I really can't complain too much about this receiver. This is my first Pioneer product ever and I love it!
post #466 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

I still have way too much to learn to carry any torches.

Anyone in the Phoenix area willing to teach?
I am the only one out of all of my friends that is into this stuff, so I'm essentially on my own with the exception of this forum.
post #467 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnipz View Post

This is my first Pioneer product ever and I love it!

Very happy it's working great for you
Really I am, in spite of my BITCHing

I do hope new owners start chiming in. You'll be the ones carrying the torch, all us oldies can do is pass it

Those of us with previous SC's are here to help. So, don't let a few complaints about Pioneer get in the way

Steve
post #468 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnipz View Post

I still have way too much to learn to carry any torches.

You caught me deleting my post & re-posting a new one
You guys are quicker than me on the send button tonight.

Steve
post #469 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW - I think one reason why some of us are over here is because we're bored with our thread

No more problems to solve, issues to thrash out. Only thing left is help the stray new owner, discuss discounted pricing & possibility of getting a hardware upgrade.

I hope we can join in your fun

Steve
post #470 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW

I am a very persistent person. I read Contracts for a living and I did not agree that Pioneer managed to use proper language in their press release, product sheet and manual. Despite language used I felt that it was misleading and fell under the false advertisment regulations. Chris and I discussed this back and forth - I didn't post anything else about it, but I wrote Pioneer. I figured out a few email address to management and emailed them about the issue. Below is the reply that I received today. I am not going to post the name of the Manager that wrote me and they do state that they will post here on AVS later today. The reply below. I am very happy with the reply despite being dissapointed with the product. I also think this closes the discussion completely for all future.

I want to personally thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.We have looked at the information you provided, as well as our recent pressrelease and other promotional materials about the SC-37, and agree with youthat our explanations with respect to the product's multi-channel audiocapabilities have been confusing. The actual purpose of having nine fullrange audio outputs is to provide different 7.1 surround options that canbe selected for different source materials rather than to output 9.1channels simultaneously. We did not communicate this properly, so we willmake corrections on our website's product page, specification sheet, pressrelease and training materials to eliminate references to "9.1". We arealso reviewing the online owner's manual. We will post a clarification onAVS Forum later today as well.
post #471 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM

Hi everyone:

I'd like to apologize for the confusion that our promotional materials have caused regarding number of outputs that the SC-37 can support. To clarify, the SC-37 is a 7.1 channel receiver that allows different 7.1 channel surround configurations to be selected from among 9 full range audio outputs based on the nature of the source material that's being listened to. It cannot output 9.1 channels at the same time. In reviewing the promotional materials we have published, including our press release, our website product page and our spec sheets, we agree that we could have done a better job explaining how this feature is supposed to work, and regret any confusion we've caused.

As a result of the discussion on this thread, we will be making immediate corrections to our website's SC-37 product page, spec sheet, training materials and press release to remove any reference to "9.1 outputs" for this model. We will also be reviewing this model's online owner's manual.

I also want to express our appreciation for this group's assistance in bringing this matter to our attention, and would particularly like to thank mhdiab for his detailed email that he sent us yesterday. This is a perfect example of why the AVS Forum is such a valuable resource, not only to other enthusiasts, but also to us here at Pioneer to understand how we're doing.

Sincerely,

-- Andy Parsons
SVP, Advanced Product Development
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
post #472 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
Mr. Parsons,

Very glad to see you respond to this issue and post here. A classy thing to do and worthy of Pioneer to clear up the confusion.

I do hope Pioneer will develop true 9.2 SC models in the near future. While I'm asking, please continue to offer flagship models and some kind of upgrade path for existing Susano owners who would like to continue using these powerhouses with newer features that have become the norm.

Thank you for your post.

ss9001
Steve Powell

Steve
post #473 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Mr. Parsons,

This is also a good oportunity for Pioneer to have a person online in these forums in regards to Pioneer products, and to be able in interact with customer issues and questions. Audyssey does this very thing and a few of the online vendors do the same. This would be a excellent showing of customer support.

Bill
post #474 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

1 post - 4 product requests and that is not counting the ones I emailed

I wonder why they don't hang out here

Well actually -- in my email I never mentioned being on AVS......I am pretty dang certain that they monitor
post #475 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 PM

I would like to read an objective comparison of the video processing of the SC-27 versus the SC-37.
post #476 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 04:59 PM

We do try to monitor AVS Forum as best we can. Sometimes we're alerted to important issues by our dealers, sometimes we see them ourselves. We really do like to participate, but many of us are wearing one or two more hats than before and are pretty busy as a result.

By the way, there's no need to call me "Mr. Parsons".

Thanks,

-- Andy
post #477 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

1 post - 4 product requests and that is not counting the ones I emailed

I wonder why they don't hang out here

Well actually -- in my email I never mentioned being on AVS......I am pretty dang certain that they monitor

Chris Walker who was marketing manager for their Blu-ray division, used to post a number of times in the Blu-ray threads about new models, new firmware, etc. He & I have exchanged a few PM's and a couple of phone calls.

I think David Bales, who is marketing manager for audio & receivers, posted once about the new receiver line this year but he wasn't an active poster like Chris Walker was. I don't frequent the Blu-ray threads much anymore so am not sure if Walkamo is still a presence.

So, they do monitor these forums from time to time, especially if someone brings an issue to their attention.

You did everyone and Pioneer a great service by following this up.
Good job!

Steve
post #478 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Thanks for clearing everything up Mr.....i mean andy.

Really though, thank you.

I have no compliants about the SC receivers. I think they're the one of the best.

I also agree with bsoko2 that pioneer should have somebody on here to answer questions.

home theater addict
post #479 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 PM

The eagle has landed.

I guess I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow.
post #480 of 4478 Old 08-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollins View Post

The eagle has landed.

I guess I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow.

Nice !
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page