post #541 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Good decision!...I just went from a SC-25 to the SC-37 and let me tell you....The MCACC is improved...I used one of the older heavier, better Microphones from an old 59 I had, and WOW!...I am one happy camper!....
This unit doesn't shut down either like the SC-25 did...I have it hooked up with 9 Yamaha 777 series speakers and 2 12" subs...Unbelievable power...Call Rob over at Main St electronics for a great deal...I noticed there is one for sale in our avs classified section from a fellow member also...

Are you talking about the problem with using the remote for shutdown or are you losing audio while playing a movie or listening to music

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

Are you talking about the problem with using the remote for shutdown or are you losing audio while playing a movie or listening to music

actually I never had a problem whatsoever with the remote. I had an issue with mine shutting down if I pushed it around reference level or beyond...(I may have had a bad unit),,,dunno. Keep in mind, that I have 9 very large 6 ohm power hungry speakers hooked up in my theater. The 37 pushes all of them effortlessly.
post #543 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

actually I never had a problem whatsoever with the remote. I had an issue with mine shutting down if I pushed it around reference level or beyond...(I may have had a bad unit),,,dunno. Keep in mind, that I have 9 very large 6 ohm power hungry speakers hooked up in my theater. The 37 pushes all of them effortlessly.

No I meant the remote won't power up or down (can't remember) after long time in standby. Was fixed with firmware 1055. By the way, saw the thread with your theater, very nice. I might have to look at the 35.... this is getting expensive

Dan
post #544 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post

on my sc-35 i hear a "pop" sound evey now and then coming from the receiver not the speakers, has anyone noticed that on their elites?

The only pops I hear on my SC-37 are what sound like mechanical relays clicking when make selection changes.
post #545 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post

No I meant the remote won't power up or down (can't remember) after long time in standby. Was fixed with firmware 1055. By the way, saw the thread with your theater, very nice. I might have to look at the 35.... this is getting expensive

Yes, I know that's what you meant...and no I never had a problem with my remote not powering the unit...Worked perfectly. Thanks for the compliment on my theater..I had the VSX-94 in there, then the SC-25, and now the SC-35.
I play around with quite a few receivers because, well, it's....it's.... a hobby? a sickness?....Whatever you call it, it's FUN!...
post #546 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRadar View Post

It's just the comment that I may wish to consider let's say an SC-25 + HDMI video upscaler, versus an SC-37 (or 35). Did a little research and for an Edge processor I would spend $500 and after adding that to the discount price of the SC-25, the sum is less than an SC-37 but enough to make me shell out the extra for the 37. The SC-35 is a conundrum for me, why didn't Pioneer make it the same with the same MCACC as the 37. The RF remote is also an add-on possibility (for the 25 or 35). F*** it, I'm just gettin a 37.

I have the edge and used it with my SC-27 and SC-09. You can get one from Onecall for $399. One of my better investments. Eliminates handshake issues.
post #547 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

any "common thread" to the behaviour?

i.e. does it happen when switching sources? resolution switch from dvr? changing surround modes? etc.

that'll help isolate it...

I noticed it when I played xbox this morning at low volumes. Haven't heard it since, "knock on wood."

post #548 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hate to do this..... 9? Care to elaborate?
post #549 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

But the 37 is a minor upgrade at best over the previous model. If they had made it 9.1, then I would agree it would be a true upgrade over the 27/07.

Why do people think that each year's new release is for the people who bought last year's release? People don't upgrade receivers every year. Believe me, nowhere in Pioneer's marketing plan is a meaningful number that expects users of the SC27 to upgrade to the SC37. Maybe the SC47 next year, but even that's pushing it. I remember in the prime days of "high-fidelity", the same models would be in the market for many years.

So the fact that the SC37 is a minor upgrade from the SC27 is not a big deal to me and I would venture to bet that it's not a big deal to most people.

Having said that, I would have been much happier if they had included Ethernet over HDMI and if it had built-in WiFi access.
post #550 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

It is a great time to buy last years unit when the new years units have been released. So comparison to last years units is very relevant
post #551 of 4478 Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

I hate to do this..... 9? Care to elaborate?

Not counting my two 12" Atlantic Technology Subwoofers I have nine Yamaha NS-777's hooked up in my theater...Left, center, right, two pairs of side surrounds, (one set for each seating row) and then the rear surrounds...

Just so everyone is clear....I don't care about 9.1...There is no source material in 9.1 and I doubt there ever will be...My 9 speakers are hooked up using the sides "IN PARALLEL" in other words the 2 sets of side surrounds are connected to the same side surround terminals on the back of the receiver...I am not using the Height terminals at all.
post #552 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 AM

So my main questions is if i am not worried about 9.1 is this amp (SC-35) still a great amp and a upgrade form my VSX-91, like i said i dont care about 9.1 is this the only problem that has been found with these models? How is the actual sound quality of them.
post #553 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 07:09 AM

Got mine set up this weekend. In a nutshell - put the smile back on my face when I cranked up the first movie. It confirmed that there must be something wrong with my Denon because it's really a night and day difference in the sound quality. The bass is back. I'll post some pics and more impressions when I get home tonight.

One disappointment though - the GUI is really limited in what settings you can actually change. Once I got through the speaker setup and MCACC setup I started looking for other settings and they're just not there. Evidently you have to use the front panel to set a lot of things up that just aren't available in the GUI. Wonder why Pioneer didn't allow these things to be changed onscreen. Unless I'm missing something, that's one area that the Denon really excelled at over the Pioneer - you can change everything in the GUI.
post #554 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@clapton...

yes, it is.

i would hazard a guess that you will be pleased with the sq... it's likely to be the same as in the previous sc units, which there were very few complaints about...

i don't think anyone has come across any "problems" (9.1 is a "lack of functionality")... but i don't think that more than a couple users actually have one yet, so "problems" are yet to be uncovered...

if i had to take a wag, if there are problems, they are likely to be video related... since the rest of the chassis essentially hasn't changed, and pioneer has a real good history of dsp implementation for audio...

ymmv...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #555 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollins View Post

Got mine set up this weekend. In a nutshell - put the smile back on my face when I cranked up the first movie. It confirmed that there must be something wrong with my Denon because it's really a night and day difference in the sound quality. The bass is back. I'll post some pics and more impressions when I get home tonight.

One disappointment though - the GUI is really limited in what settings you can actually change. Once I got through the speaker setup and MCACC setup I started looking for other settings and they're just not there. Evidently you have to use the front panel to set a lot of things up that just aren't available in the GUI. Wonder why Pioneer didn't allow these things to be changed onscreen. Unless I'm missing something, that's one area that the Denon really excelled at over the Pioneer - you can change everything in the GUI.

glad you like it!

as far as the gui... i think you might be missing something somewhere... it's highly unlikely they would have removed anything from it that you need for setup, that would be a step backwards about 10 years technologically...

what settings are you looking for? let's see if we can get you where you want to go...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #556 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapton101 View Post

So my main questions is if i am not worried about 9.1 is this amp (SC-35) still a great amp and a upgrade form my VSX-91, like i said i dont care about 9.1 is this the only problem that has been found with these models? How is the actual sound quality of them.

The SC-37 is far superior to the VSX-91...Trust me Read the feature comparisons over on the Pioneer site...Don't know if I had a bad SC-25 or what, but compared to it, this SC-37 seems to exude more depth and power The SC-35 is supposed to be the same Watts per channel, so I would assume they are the same.
post #557 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@clapton...

yes, it is.

i would hazard a guess that you will be pleased with the sq... it's likely to be the same as in the previous sc units, which there were very few complaints about...

i don't think anyone has come across any "problems" (9.1 is a "lack of functionality")... but i don't think that more than a couple users actually have one yet, so "problems" are yet to be uncovered...

if i had to take a wag, if there are problems, they are likely to be video related... since the rest of the chassis essentially hasn't changed, and pioneer has a real good history of dsp implementation for audio...

ymmv...

Thanks sir!
post #558 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 AM

I have just stumbled onto another revelation using my new SC-37. I no longer have 1 second audio cut outs when watching Directv movies!...Yippie!!! I used to experience these with my old SC-25.
post #559 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

One of the issues is some BD players, including Pioneer's, duplicate the side surrounds into the rears. This precludes adding any matrix processing.

It's how each player mfg. decides to map DTS-MA channels. Pioneer's and at least some of the Panasonic's duplicate them. Supposedly, if I've read Oppo threads correctly, the Oppo does not. But I don't own the Oppo (yet) so can't confirm. I DO own the Pio BDP-05 & 09 players and they both dupe and matrix can't be added to their PCM output - I've tried

what if you tell the bluRay palyer that you only have 5.1, the send that LPCM to the Pio...would you get matrixing into 7.1 at that point?
(of course set the receiver to 7.1)

Dan
post #560 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anybody using one of these with Klispch speakers, I have a set of RF-3II's with RC-3 and RS42's and its time to finally replace the receiver I sold 2 years ago. Anyone have any experience with the Pioneer and Klipsch combo? Oh and I intend to bi amp the front speakers if that makes any difference whatsoever.
post #561 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves View Post

Anybody using one of these with Klispch speakers, I have a set of RF-3II's with RC-3 and RS42's and its time to finally replace the receiver I sold 2 years ago. Anyone have any experience with the Pioneer and Klipsch combo? Oh and I intend to bi amp the front speakers if that makes any difference whatsoever.

You would not have any problems, the Kllipsch speakers are very efficient.

Juan

My HT
post #562 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM

Easy question - does this year's models (SC-37 and SC-35) have HDMI overlay option? I.e., can it show volume bar GUI on the display when playing an HDMI source?

I have my receiver in another room and this is one of the main things stopping me from moving to a Pioneer receiver...

Thanks...
post #563 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo View Post

Easy question - does this year's models (SC-37 and SC-35) have HDMI overlay option? I.e., can it show volume bar GUI on the display when playing an HDMI source?

I have my receiver in another room and this is one of the main things stopping me from moving to a Pioneer receiver...

Thanks...

No, It will not show the volume on-screen. The 37 will show the volume on the RF remote, when set to RF mode.
post #564 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I suspect you will find the sound better than the VSX-91. I had VSX-94 and the SC-37 seems more open than the 94. Prior to that I had Denon AVRs and they were not in the same class for sound.

I have a 5.1 setup with Spendor units for the 5 and an Atlantic Sub for the 0.1.

After almost 2 days of running, I am getting happier by the day. Blu-Ray from OPPO sounds better then before. Image quality seems unchanged. HDMI handshake with my Motorola HD cable box seems to take longer intially than the 94, then no issues that I have noticed.

Will be runnig my laptop through from HDMI later today. I'll post results if anything is off, otherwise I will save internet bandwidth. I like having the front panel HDMI.

Dave
post #565 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Surprise, Surprise! I have a Carver M1.5t amp powering the mains (Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL's)and in the pink tone speaker output with a measure of 75 db. I hooked the mains to the amps in the SC-37 and surprise, it was at 77 db. So I suppose we can say that the class "D" amp puts out 2 db more then the Carver A&B amp. The carver amp has been refurbished to better than original specs by Rita's Vintage Audio Repair repair in Snohomish, WA. (Home of Bob Carver). I'm going with all Ice amps for my setup.

Bill
post #566 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well... no....

- chris

post #567 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnipz View Post

No, It will not show the volume on-screen. The 37 will show the volume on the RF remote, when set to RF mode.

Just to add to this. The rf remote comes with ir blasters for other equipment and true 2 way feedback. It is really a huge step up. In addition there is an iPhone app for free. More interesting than volume (to me) is confirming zones that are on, sound modes etc
post #568 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that iphone app would be a HUGE selling point for me if i was in the market for an avr... especially if i was planning on using it for multi-zone use...

but i'm an apple wonk...

- chris

post #569 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

I just bought an used iPod Touch.. LOL
post #570 of 4478 Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris -- agreed it is a huge seller for me. I was hoping they would have added it for the SC-07 and SC-27 but it won't work with those.

I will get the SC-47 as I am sure that it will do 9.1 and then I will do the iphone app.

Meanwhile I bought the irule app ($50) and the itach ($110) to control my receiver via the iphone

With an ipod touch you should be able to get this app and it looks really nice. There is a demo version you can run -- big key to me is the feedback which allows running multi-zones / equipment from a different room and know what the settings are. It is a great tool to me
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page