Software update
The Home Media Gallery software can be updated over
the Internet.
1 Set the remote control operation selector switch to
SOURCE.
2 Press HMG to select Home Media Gallery as the
input function.
3 Select ‘Setup’ then press ENTER.
4 Select ‘Firmware Update’ then press ENTER.
5 Use / to select ‘Yes’ then press ENTER.
Updating % and the elapsed time are displayed.
If No new firmware has been found is displayed, there
is no need to update the software.
Information on software updates may be posted on the
Pioneer website.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com

No other references to Firmware updating in the manual for the AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 343
^^
Thanks, Film. You confirmed my point!
Pioneer has never yet allowed core AVR firmware to be updated by the user.

Steve
post #183 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
Thanks, Film. You confirmed my point!
Pioneer has never yet allowed core AVR firmware to be updated by the user.

Agree. As much as a pio fanboy as I am, and ranted at onkyo for the lack of Internet updates (since corrected), the Pio score is zero out of infinity.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #184 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Can you pm me with the price you got?

Why does this have to be a "I've got a secrete?" You big buck early adopters ashamed or something?

AVS doesn't sell them.

How much did ritz get his for? Why tell us he got some special company pricing and not share it then?

And if he works for BB, how much was cost on the SC-27? I wonder....
post #185 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post

Why does this have to be a "I've got a secrete?" You big buck early adopters ashamed or something?

AVS doesn't sell them.

How much did ritz get his for? Why tell us he got some special company pricing and not share it then?

And if he works for BB, how much was cost on the SC-27? I wonder....

I don't think anyone is ashamed of anything. From the AVS Forum rules:

-posting / discussing MSRP pricing is OK : posting where you can find discounts or discounted pricing is not

Hence the "secrete" (sic).
post #186 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Somewhere in another area, oh the SC27 side, I didn't post how much I paid for s Pioneer Elite SC-27, $898 on July 22,2010 at BB! because I thought maybe AVS might of sold Pioneer Elite. So another AVS member said as long as AVS don't sell it, it don't matter.

In other words,
post #187 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Liked: 12
Hagar, you definitely got a deal man. My local BestBuy has an SC-27 for $1099 but comes w/ NOTHING. Add tax to that -
post #188 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post

Somewhere in another area, oh the SC27 side, I didn't post how much I paid for s Pioneer Elite SC-27, $898 on July 22,2010 at BB! because I thought maybe AVS might of sold Pioneer Elite. So another AVS member said as long as AVS don't sell it, it don't matter.

In other words,

In other words what?

You asked the question - I gave you the answer. The forum rules are the forum rules, regardless of what another forum member told you.
post #189 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Is there really any reason to discuss more than MSRP for a cost versus value trade? And why talk about the SC-27 in this thread except to compare it to the SC-37 and we all know that the 27 is on closeout.
post #190 of 4511 Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can we remain focused and keep this Thread Exclusive to the owners and future owners of the SC-37? Also to anyone looking for info on this model.
post #191 of 4511 Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Was it ever confirmed if the Marvell chip for upscaling can be used via an HDMI digital source?

I know previous models bypassed the upscaling chip when using HDMI.
post #192 of 4511 Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM

So does anybody here have an sc-37 yet?

I am going to be getting mine from the Magnolia in Best Buy this Thursday. It's going to be replacing a vsx 94-TXH that I am basically upgrading for more hdmi inputs, but I am hoping for a little sound improvement as a little added bonus. I am also contemplating moving to 9.1 from 7.1, but I am not sure if it would be worth it.
post #193 of 4511 Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinefski View Post

So does anybody here have an sc-37 yet?

I am going to be getting mine from the Magnolia in Best Buy this Thursday. It's going to be replacing a vsx 94-TXH that I am basically upgrading for more hdmi inputs, but I am hoping for a little sound improvement as a little added bonus. I am also contemplating moving to 9.1 from 7.1, but I am not sure if it would be worth it.

Full price?
post #194 of 4511 Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Full price?

No they were nice enough to price match for me.
post #195 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone have any idea if the interface to internet radio has been improved from the VSX-94? My problems were that the GUI was supremely ugly, that navigating for new stations was painful and that sometimes the ethernet connection would crash, even though other users on the router had no problems. When the ethernet crashed, the sole way I was able to regain connection was to power cycle (off-on, not unplug) the receiver. Despite that I value having the internet radio connection.

For me the SC-37 would be the only choice; I like being able to listen to BBC3 and other stations when local (Boston, MA, USA) stations have nothing of interest. Even for local stations, the internet radio link sometimes has better sound, was surprising to me too. Then again I live in a very high multipath area with no direct line of sight to the source antennas.

I am about to go for an SC-37, but would like to know if it really will be an upgrade from a VSX-94. I have not run out of inputs/outputs, although it is getting close. (Bluray, HD-DVD, laser disc, cable, antenna, VCR, DVD hard drive recorder, cassette player/recorder, CD changer/recorder, iPod, Laptop and turntable)

Prior to the 94, I had owned a series of Sony ES and Denons. To my ears, the 94 sounds significantly better than any of them, hope that Pioneer still makes a superior sounding receiver. Hanging onto my PDP-4280 plasma until something better comes along - has not yet. Guess I am a Pioneer fanboy, but only by having owned other brands.

Dave
post #196 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
^^^

if you are using your lappy as a source, why not stream from that?

not really surprising that the internet radio has a "better sound", the tuners in most "modern" avrs leave a lot to be desired...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #197 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

if you are using your lappy as a source, why not stream from that?

not really surprising that the internet radio has a "better sound", the tuners in most "modern" avrs leave a lot to be desired...

Tried using the laptop, but some stations are not available, except through the server Pioneer maintains. One example is BBC3 which is locked out for users ourside the UK.

Thanks for the thought.

Dave
post #198 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedave View Post

I am about to go for an SC-37, but would like to know if it really will be an upgrade from a VSX-94. I have not run out of inputs/outputs, although it is getting close. (Bluray, HD-DVD, laser disc, cable, antenna, VCR, DVD hard drive recorder, cassette player/recorder, CD changer/recorder, iPod, Laptop and turntable)

Dave

Well since I am doing this very upgrade this week I should be able to give you a real world comparison by Friday.
post #199 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 PM

WellI received my speakers on Saturday and was able to hook everything up on Sunday. My speaker system is an Aperion which consist of the Intimus 6 series:
2 Intimus 6B
1 Intimus 6C
2 Intimus 5DB
1 Bravus 10D

I started by running the MCACC which took about 5 mins to complete. Once it was completed, I popped in a concert DVD of Andre Bocelli. I was amazed on how detail and loud the system was and the volume was only at -20db. The sound was crystal clear and it felt like at I was at the concert. I kind of zoned out for little bit due to the sound but realized that I was testing the system so I started to go through the different surround sound options. Some sounded better than others but majority of the options didn't make any difference to me and did not improve the sound quality coming out of speakers.

I have not had the chance to play a BD movie so I will be doing that later on this week but I did try watching HBO in HD and it sounded ok. I am not sure if my HDMI speaker wire is a problem but the sound was not as I expected it to be. I have to play around with my settings to see how I can improve that.

One thing that I haven't figure out on how to do is to use the pass through function which is when the receiver is in standby/off, the signal from my cable box will be go to my TV and still and I will be able to watch TV without having the receiver on. I followed the instructions in the manual but can't get it to work so I might have to contact the support for that.

Another issue that I have found is that if I am in any of the THX surround sound modes, when I switch Channels, the screen goes blank, then switches to green and the picture shows. It looks like it is doing a conversion of some sort but the way it does it looks weird. Again I am not sure if this is an issue with my receiver or it is how it supposed to work. Hopefully when others get theirs and start using them, they can tell me if their receiver does the same.

That's all I have for now. Please let me know if you would like me to test out something and please be detailed. This is my 1st high end receiver with this much functionality and I need to get use to it.
post #200 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaR1 View Post

WellI received my speakers on Saturday and was able to hook everything up on Sunday. My speaker system is an Aperion which consist of the Intimus 6 series:
2 Intimus 6B
1 Intimus 6C
2 Intimus 5DB
1 Bravus 10D

I started by running the MCACC which took about 5 mins to complete. Once it was completed, I popped in a concert DVD of Andre Bocelli. I was amazed on how detail and loud the system was and the volume was only at -20db. The sound was crystal clear and it felt like at I was at the concert. I kind of zoned out for little bit due to the sound but realized that I was testing the system so I started to go through the different surround sound options. Some sounded better than others but majority of the options didn't make any difference to me and did not improve the sound quality coming out of speakers.

glad you are happy... your experience with the surround modes, especially the advanced ones, echos pretty much everyone's experience with sc avrs

I have not had the chance to play a BD movie so I will be doing that later on this week but I did try watching HBO in HD and it sounded ok. I am not sure if my HDMI speaker wire is a problem but the sound was not as I expected it to be. I have to play around with my settings to see how I can improve that.

what "hdmi speaker wire"? sq via cable/fios/whatever can (and does) vary widely from channel to channel and show to show

One thing that I haven't figure out on how to do is to use the pass through function which is when the receiver is in standby/off, the signal from my cable box will be go to my TV and still and I will be able to watch TV without having the receiver on. I followed the instructions in the manual but can't get it to work so I might have to contact the support for that.

unless your cable box is compatible with kurolink, it likely won't...

Another issue that I have found is that if I am in any of the THX surround sound modes, when I switch Channels, the screen goes blank, then switches to green and the picture shows. It looks like it is doing a conversion of some sort but the way it does it looks weird. Again I am not sure if this is an issue with my receiver or it is how it supposed to work. Hopefully when others get theirs and start using them, they can tell me if their receiver does the same.

it's not the thx sound modes causing this. it's the switch in resolution of the source that is causing a re-negotiation of the hdmi handshake. different tv channels broadcast in different resolutions (1080i and 720p for hd). when you change from one channel at 1080i to a channel at 720p, that forces a handshake. to eliminate this, set your cable/fios/satellite box to output a fixed resolution

That's all I have for now. Please let me know if you would like me to test out something and please be detailed. This is my 1st high end receiver with this much functionality and I need to get use to it.

good luck... nice to see the 3rd generation of sc owners coming on board...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #201 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just picked mine up today from Magnolia. They had it in faster than Value Electronics, so I decided to go with Magnolia. I will be very busy doing a complete rewire and cable management. Once I get that out of the way, I will bring the SC-37 online and begin to run a full range of tests. I will post what I find here in a review. The wait is finally over!
I am officially a Pioneer Elite owner!
post #202 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Would it be ok to Bi-amp my two fronts in this setup?

Polk Monitor 50 Right/Left (8 Ohm)
Mordaunt Short Avant 905C Center (4-8 Ohm)
Mordaunt Short MS309W Sub
MK SS-150THX Surrounds (4 Ohm)
post #203 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"ok", as in "it won't cause my receiver pain and suffering"? yes.

- chris

post #204 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just ordered an SC-37 on ebay with 8% cashback from Bing.

Seller just jacked the price $100 after I bought.

CD

Reality Based.
post #205 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Comparison
SC-37
SC-35

THX® Ultra2 Plus Processing and Certification
THX Select2 Plus Processing and Certification

192 kHz/32-bit DAC (117 dB S/N)
192 kHz/24-bit DAC (111 dB S/N)

192 kHz/24-bit ADC (112 dB S/N)
192 kHz/24-bit ADC (112 dB S/N)

Digital Coaxial (3 Inputs)
Digital Coaxial (2 Inputs)

Freescale™ and Texas Instruments Aureus 32-bit Digital Engine
Freescale™ and Texas Instruments Aureus 24-bit Digital Engine

HDMI 1.4a with 3D
(6 Inputs / 2 Outputs Including Front HDMI Input)
HDMI 1.4a with 3D
(6 Inputs / 2 Outputs Including Front HDMI Input)

3-Zone Multi-Zone and Source (A/V)
3-Zone Multi-Zone and Source (A/V)

Main Room / Multi-Zone Illuminated Learning RF Remote Control
Main Room / Multi-Zone Illuminated Learning Remote Control

SC-37 only
Sampling Rate Converter -- 192 kHz/24-bit All Sources -
Networking Entertainment:
•vTuner
•DLNA 1.5
•FLAC Decoder
•Rhapsody
•SIRIUS Internet Radio
•Internet Radio
•Firmware updates available through network
post #206 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

good post - I wish someone would go in to the first post of this thread and update that with that kind of information.

Then also add comparison to previous model........... you know to make this an official thread
post #207 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Can someone that has the SC-37 confirm that it will matrix the rear speakers with the back speakers when bitstreaming a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack.

Also can someone confirm if you can use the video adjustments for upscaling, etc (marvel chip) throught HDMI.

If so I'm going to go ahead & get one.
post #208 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Can any owner confirm whether the SC-37 has OSD for volume during playback? In other words, when you are watching a movie/TV and change the volume of the SC-37, does that volume change appear on your TV screen as it occurs?

Thanks
post #209 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

Can someone that has the SC-37 confirm that it will matrix the rear speakers with the back speakers when bitstreaming a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack.

Also can someone confirm if you can use the video adjustments for upscaling, etc (marvel chip) throught HDMI.

If so I'm going to go ahead & get one.

It'll scale HDMI sources.
post #210 of 4511 Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

Can any owner confirm whether the SC-37 has OSD for volume during playback? In other words, when you are watching a movie/TV and change the volume of the SC-37, does that volume change appear on your TV screen as it occurs?

Thanks

According to the manual, no. It still requires Kuro link and a Pioneer display to do that.

However, the SC-37 has a two way RF remote that will give you a volume readout on it's LCD display (as will the iPhone app and two way Web control)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page