"Official" Pioneer Elite SC-37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 4491 Old 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm updating this to include the SC-35. Please note which receiver you are referring to when posting to avoid confusion.

SC-37 Product Sheet

SC-35 Product Sheet

SC-37/35 Owner's Manual

Information on ICEpower

AVS Forum for MCACC

Reviews
http://www.hometheater.com/receivers...7_av_receiver/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4491 Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like Pioneer finally gets it with the firmware updates through network. While I haven't needed to perform any updates to my SC-07 since everything works for my needs (even playing music through my 3Gs iphone), it is a nice feature and I would perform updates if mine had it even if it didn't benefit me.

With the Marvell scaler, I wonder if upconversion to 1080p is available from HDMI to HDMI. This doesn't really matter to me but it does help with sales to people that think its important.

I wonder if the on screen display is for volume, inputs, surround mode etc. or if it is the typical GUI that we know of. While many don't like the signal to be touched, coming from a Denon 4308, I welcome it. If I hadn't had the Denon first, I probably wouldn't miss it but once you have it, it is a nice feature.

I'll have to wait and see. I feel that these new features are bigger than the SC-27 features over the SC-07 although I will likely wait a while to get the SC-37 once prices come down since my SC-07 is still more than sufficient for my needs and upgrading would not really benefit me much. However, for others I bet this will be a big benefit.
post #3 of 4491 Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 AM

I was looking at one of these at best buy yesterday. Nice product.
post #4 of 4491 Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

Looks like Pioneer finally gets it with the firmware updates through network. While I haven't needed to perform any updates to my SC-07 since everything works for my needs (even playing music through my 3Gs iphone), it is a nice feature and I would perform updates if mine had it even if it didn't benefit me.

With the Marvell scaler, I wonder if upconversion to 1080p is available from HDMI to HDMI. This doesn't really matter to me but it does help with sales to people that think its important.

I wonder if the on screen display is for volume, inputs, surround mode etc. or if it is the typical GUI that we know of. While many don't like the signal to be touched, coming from a Denon 4308, I welcome it. If I hadn't had the Denon first, I probably wouldn't miss it but once you have it, it is a nice feature.

I'll have to wait and see. I feel that these new features are bigger than the SC-27 features over the SC-07 although I will likely wait a while to get the SC-37 once prices come down since my SC-07 is still more than sufficient for my needs and upgrading would not really benefit me much. However, for others I bet this will be a big benefit.

We'll see.

I have a feeling it will be pretty much like the SC-27. Network firmware updates for example: That line in the data sheet is a bullet underneath "Network Entertainment" so it will probably mean HMG updates ONLY, just like the older SCs.

I'll also be surprised if they change their mind and allow any processing of HDMI video. We'll find out in a couple months I guess.

John
post #5 of 4491 Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Hmmm, just noticed it specifies an RF remote...wonder if it will have an IR port for those of us who don't have RF on their Harmony remote
post #6 of 4491 Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobu01 View Post

Hmmm, just noticed it specifies an RF remote...wonder if it will have an IR port for those of us who don't have RF on their Harmony remote

lol, guess i should have read the manual before posting...it does
post #7 of 4491 Old 07-03-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

Pat... If reading the the spec sheet and manual are an indication (and I've compared them to the 27's) the video conversion is finally here for HDMI, including the adjustable parameters.

I don't think there is OSD for volume (except on Pioneer displays) but they've added two new features are just as good, maybe even better..

1. The RF remote with the 37 (not on the 35) is two way, and the display gives you all kinds of information, including volume.

2. You can now use a browser to control the unit, which is another great feature.

3. The iPhone app gives you a ton of information, including input sign info, etc.... while not OSD, it is what I have been waiting for from Pioneer.

In addition, the receiver will pass through an HDMI input to HDMI output when in standby, another great feature I've grown used to with the Yamaha's and Denon's (Onkyo just added it in the last year...)

As far as firmware updates, it looks to be only for the HMG FW.. there is no mention of system updates in the manual.
post #8 of 4491 Old 07-03-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMa84 View Post

I was looking at one of these at best buy yesterday. Nice product.

Really? The SC-37 hasn't even been released.
post #9 of 4491 Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I wish pioneer would use individual Xovers and audyssey. There would be no reason for me to even decide if i should get an onkyo or any other receiver. Ever.

home theater addict
post #10 of 4491 Old 07-04-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I hope the HDMI connection stays untouched. I don't want ANY processing on my HDMI connections, or at least have the ability to turn the processing off. IMO, upconversion/processing should be done on the source unit. Having the AVR do the processing will most likely introduce input lag for gaming systems. And that is something I DEFINITELY do not want.

And what the hell is up with Pioneer removing the ground prong on their SC receivers after the SC-07? I like that they went to a detachable power cord on the SC-27, but why no ground prong?
post #11 of 4491 Old 07-04-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

I hope the HDMI connection stays untouched. I don't want ANY processing on my HDMI connections, or at least have the ability to turn the processing off. IMO, upconversion/processing should be done on the source unit. Having the AVR do the processing will most likely introduce input lag for gaming systems. And that is something I DEFINITELY do not want.

You can turn it off per input, or as a whole.

What if the QDEO does a better job than the source unit? Wouldn't you want that option?

Having just owned a few AVR's with the ABT 2010 chip, I can tell you that they outperformed both my display and most of the source unit's capabilities, without any noticeable lag.

Processing in any piece of gear (be it the AVR or source unit) requires time, so I don't see that as a valid argument against AVR processing, nor should we assume it would be greater in an AVR vs. the source.
post #12 of 4491 Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

You can turn it off per input, or as a whole.

What if the QDEO does a better job than the source unit? Wouldn't you want that option?

Having just owned a few AVR's with the ABT 2010 chip, I can tell you that they outperformed both my display and most of the source unit's capabilities, without any noticeable lag.

Processing in any piece of gear (be it the AVR or source unit) requires time, so I don't see that as a valid argument against AVR processing, nor should we assume it would be greater in an AVR vs. the source.

If the processing can be turned off, that's fine.
post #13 of 4491 Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I wish pioneer would use individual Xovers and audyssey. There would be no reason for me to even decide if i should get an onkyo or any other receiver. Ever.

Saprano they may have given one out of two. I pulled this from the list of features. I don't see Pioneer ditching MCACC for Audyssey anytime soon.

›› Advanced MCACC (Auto Room Calibration)

–– Symmetric 9-Band EQ

–– Standing Wave Control

–– Auto Crossover
post #14 of 4491 Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I just found out from a local Pioneer Elite dealer that the SC models will ship on the 17th and they'll have them a week later.
post #15 of 4491 Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just talked with a Pioneer rep today and it'll be the end of the month for this model and the other Elites as well. I couldn't get an exact date when I asked.
post #16 of 4491 Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 PM

I placed an order on last Thursday and got an email today stating that it will be available the second half of July.
post #17 of 4491 Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Does any of the SC models, past or present, use a Toroidal Transformer or an EI Transformer? If not, what would be Pio's reason not to use them?
post #18 of 4491 Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

And what the hell is up with Pioneer removing the ground prong on their SC receivers after the SC-07? I like that they went to a detachable power cord on the SC-27, but why no ground prong?

The SC-05 & SC-07 didn't have a 3 prong plug.
It was always 2-prong, in the U.S. anyway.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #19 of 4491 Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Don't know if they use a toriodal or not, but the usual reason to use them is slightly better hum reduction, especially in power amps. Since the Pio's use class-D amps, that is probably not a big deal. In any event, I don't hear any hum out of my SC-27 under any circumstances.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #20 of 4491 Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I hope this will calibrate frequencies below 60hz.....Anybody have info on exactly which Marvell chip is in this?

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #21 of 4491 Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do you have to power the height/wide speakers with a seperate amp?
post #22 of 4491 Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Does anyone know if the SC-37 will matrix the surround speakers to the surround back speakers on a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-94THX receiver & when playing a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack it doesn't allow you to use the surround back speakers.

I'm hoping that Pioneer corrected this with their SC receivers. If so I will be placing an order for the SC-37.

I need to know as soon as possible so I can place an order before the 1st batch has been sold out.
post #23 of 4491 Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

I'm hoping that Pioneer corrected this with their SC receivers. If so I will be placing an order for the SC-37.

Obviously, too soon to know on the 37, but all current SC models from the 09 to the 27 have the same limitation and I don't know why...

My guess, strictly a WAG, the earlier VSX models may not have enough processing power & maybe they never bothered to update the software.

But I'm with you....it is an annoying limitation, especially on a $7000 flagship! So far as we can tell, the only way to get back surrounds with 5.1 DTS-MA is use THX.

Pioneer NEEDS to fix this, sooner the better, because I know some of the competitive models can do it.

Steve
post #24 of 4491 Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Obviously, too soon to know on the 37, but all current SC models from the 09 to the 27 have the same limitation and I don't know why...

My guess, strictly a WAG, the earlier VSX models may not have enough processing power & maybe they never bothered to update the software.

But I'm with you....it is an annoying limitation, especially on a $7000 flagship! So far as we can tell, the only way to get back surrounds with 5.1 DTS-MA is use THX.

Pioneer NEEDS to fix this, sooner the better, because I know some of the competitive models can do it.

Steve.. in looking at the Owners Manual for the SC-37, it seems as if nothing has changed... i.e. Straight Decode only for MC source inputs.
post #25 of 4491 Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM

I tried a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH & it does allow you to matrix DTS-HD MA to 7.1 when bitstreaming.

Why does Pioneer not allow the Elite receivers to do it?

Why would they allow the regular Pioneer receivers to matrix DTS-HD MA to 7.1 when bitstreaming but not the Elite line?

That would be crazy.
post #26 of 4491 Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
They do allow matrix of DTS-HD MA, but only in THX mode, not in Dolby PL IIx mode. It's not just the limitation of Elite line. I believe all Pio models are like this.
post #27 of 4491 Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

I tried a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH & it does allow you to matrix DTS-HD MA to 7.1 when bitstreaming.

Why does Pioneer not allow the Elite receivers to do it?

Why would they allow the regular Pioneer receivers to matrix DTS-HD MA to 7.1 when bitstreaming but not the Elite line?

That would be crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

They do allow matrix of DTS-HD MA, but only in THX mode, not in Dolby PL IIx mode. It's not just the limitation of Elite line. I believe all Pio models are like this.

I don't seem to understand...why is this a problem?
Isn't the THX mode good enough for what you are trying to achieve??

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #28 of 4491 Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Most ppl prefer PLIIx over THX. Besides, there is no technical reason what so ever for Pio to lock out almost all DTS codecs from DPL2 processing. There must be some strange reasoning behind this but no one seems to know why. Remember, its top of line SC-09 can't do it either and it is not just DTS-HD MA, other DTS formats are affected as well. So, it is not due to the lack of processing power.
post #29 of 4491 Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Liked: 16
How does Marvell video processor compare to Anchor Bay ABT-2010? I read on the other Pioneer 2011 AVR thread that SC-09TX has Marvell chip and it was implemented correctly so I am hoping that would be the case for all Elites VSX-32 and up with Marvell video processor.

At least from the product sheet it seems like SC-37 offers some real upgrade in terms of features compared SC-35 (assuming SQ should be the same for the most part on both). I got SC-25 and not sure if it would make sense to upgrade besides some features and 3D support.
post #30 of 4491 Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Most ppl prefer PLIIx over THX. Besides, there is no technical reason what so ever for Pio to lock out almost all DTS codecs from DPL2 processing. There must be some strange reasoning behind this but no one seems to know why. Remember, its top of line SC-09 can't do it either and it is not just DTS-HD MA, other DTS formats are affected as well. So, it is not due to the lack of processing power.

Well...if anything...I'd still rather have and prefer (I use this setting exclusively) the THX mode because it helps to balance the sound and timbre matches all loudspeakers in use.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page