SC-07 vs. RX-V1800 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have both an RX-V1800 and an SC-07 receiver, both of them i got stupid deals on, im wondering what some of you would recommend for my set up so here it is.

TV: TH-50PZ800U
BDP: Pioneer BDP-320 and Playstation 3
Front Speakers: MartinLogan Purity using the pre-outs and MartinLogan Vignettes using Type 4 Audioquest speaker wire
Using all Audioquest cabling for HDMI, Sub, RCA, and speaker wire

For the time being i wont be using a center or surrounds, only running 2 channel stereo but plan on getting the Motif as my center and moving the vignettes to my surrounds and i have 2 additional vignettes for my rears.

i have the yamaha hooked up currently, but considered switching it to the SC-07 but before i went through the effort, wanted to see if it was worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 119
In theory, the SC has an all channels driven power rating. So in theory, the SC has more power than the 1800, which can't maintain it's power rating with all channels driven.

If there's a sound quality difference, only you could be the judge of that, and would have to hook it up to try it out.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I would definitely try the SC-07 with those speakers. IMO you will have more power in reserve with that AVR than with the Yamaha 1800. Let your ears be the judge.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

I have the V1800 - nice AVR.

But I would be interested in hearing what you have to say - try them both and let your own ears decide!!

Pics and a full report or it never happened!
post #5 of 13 Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

update:

i hooked up the sc-07 the other night, right away i noticed it had a better frequency response range than what the 1800 had, but when i am watching an action movie at midnight and dont want to blow my neighbors away it doesnt perform so well, voices are way to soft on this receiver compared to the 1800 and action scenes are pretty loud but exteremely nice, unfortunately i just cant find the best of both worlds here, i am also considering selling the sc-07 and upgrading to either an onkyo 3/5007 or a denon 4810, anyone have any thoughts on that?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS>Dolby View Post

update:

i hooked up the sc-07 the other night, right away i noticed it had a better frequency response range than what the 1800 had, but when i am watching an action movie at midnight and dont want to blow my neighbors away it doesnt perform so well, voices are way to soft on this receiver compared to the 1800 and action scenes are pretty loud but exteremely nice, unfortunately i just cant find the best of both worlds here, i am also considering selling the sc-07 and upgrading to either an onkyo 3/5007 or a denon 4810, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Have you tried using THX Loudness Plus for late night veiwing?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Don't forget to calibrate the receiver's speaker outputs. Variations in speaker models and in their positions need to be compensated for, in addition to the THX loudness setting needed to compensate for playing at low sound levels.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #8 of 13 Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

update:

Yes, sounds to me like the two receivers are not set up similarly. Or, considering that you are not using a center speaker, perhaps the 1800 does a better job of sending the center signal cleanly to the front L/R speakers. Hard to figure out, but you could spend a lot on another receiver, and still end up in the same situation. I think I'd just sell one of them and rather than spending any more $ on an expensive receiver, start saving up for the Motif.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Considering both receivers have a frequency response that is linear way past the range of human hearing, I would say that you did not test these two receivers in an identical setup.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post

Considering both receivers have a frequency response that is linear way past the range of human hearing, I would say that you did not test these two receivers in an identical setup.

Do you really think that I would try to test two different receivers and use two different speaker setups to do it?? Gtfo, feel free to come over to my house bud
post #11 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you really think that I would try to test two different receivers and use two different speaker setups to do it?? Gtfo, feel free to come over to my house bud

What I'm suggesting is that you probably have tested one of teh receivers with the room correction engaged or crossovers set internal, etc. I did not mention speakers. Like I said previously, both receivers have a linear frequency response way past the audable range of hearing meaning they would sound the same until teh amps's limits are reached.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

In theory, the SC has an all channels driven power rating. So in theory, the SC has more power than the 1800, which can't maintain it's power rating with all channels driven.

If there's a sound quality difference, only you could be the judge of that, and would have to hook it up to try it out.

One thing you should mention next time is full audio spectrum. Pushing 140wx7 is relatively easier at only frequency say at 1 KHz which is common but Pioneer rates their power from 20Hz to 20KHz which is much more difficult to do. I'm still not a fan of Class D amplification but that is a personal quirk of mine.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 AM
3db
Advanced Member

Quote:

update:

There are setting on both receivers that limit the volume dynamically which is a function of the volume setting. The louder the volume setting, the less reduction in loudness but its still noticeable compared to having it swithced off. I'm sure the Pioneer has a similar setting....try looking for Dolby volume or something to that affect. Testting two receivers like this takes aot of effort in getting to know their feature set. These are not trivial receivers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page