Loud noises cause my receiver to shut off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Yamaha RX-V659 receiver shuts itself off when I have it at somewhat high volume (-10 to -12 dB depending on sound mode) and there is a sudden loud noise in a movie (like an explosion or gunshot).

I have Onkyo SKW-540 7.1 HT speaker set (powered sub) but I don't have the back 2 speakers hooked up (so it's only 5.1 setup).

I have checked/ruled out the following:
1) shorting out - there are no stray wires anywhere
2) speakers are fine - disconnected each one individually and tested on the same scene in Transformers - get the same shut off every time
3) impedance is set correctly for my speakers (8 ohms)
4) speakers are set to small
5) it isn't overheating (can get the shut off on a specific scene even if I just turned the receiver on - and it doesn't feel hot)

Something that helped a little is when I changed the crossover from 80Hz to 160Hz I was able to play the same scene 2 to 4 dB louder. I think this is a clue but not sure what it means. I'm open to upgrading if it would help me play my movies louder, but is the receiver or the speakers causing the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Liked: 11
* Speaker polarity (+ve on rcvr goes to +ve on speaker; etc)
* correct decoding set on player
* it's not actually part of the recorded content
* get a test cd with freq tones (some bass cd)
* also possible that you may be loud enough to jar your power connections

just some ideas....
post #3 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Liked: 11
Could you clarify 'shut off' does the sound simply go away from the full 7.1 or some of the speakers or does the entire AVR restart as if just turning off (display goes off etc) or does the sound simply get muffled or some thing else.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Those Onkyo speakers really aren't that good which is part of the problem. Your receiver is also starting to clip at loud volumes.

Luckily the 659 has preouts so you can add an external amp but I'd get better higher sensitivity speakers instead.

Afro GT
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 PM

Try disconnecting the surrounds and just using the front 3 and sub for a 3.1 set....or lose the center too for a 2.1 set up, then try the same Transformers scene.

The reason.....the Onkyo specs for these speakers says the surrounds have a sensitivity of "60 dB/W/m" versus "86 dB/W/m" for the front and center. That's a HUGE difference.

YPAO might be cutting the trim on the fronts and center significantly (minus xx dB) and boosting the surrounds significantly (plus xx dB)....and this boost to the rears is tripping the protection circuit where there are sudden peaks like explosions. When you run the volume at -12dB, it's the systems reference volume so the fronts are really performing even though they were cut back, and the rears just can't take the wattage boost.

Just a theory but worth a try.

Mike
post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd1104 View Post

Something that helped a little is when I changed the crossover from 80Hz to 160Hz I was able to play the same scene 2 to 4 dB louder. I think this is a clue but not sure what it means. I'm open to upgrading if it would help me play my movies louder, but is the receiver or the speakers causing the problem?

The lower the frequency, the more power required to play that frequency which is why subs are generally separately "powered" in order to take the load off the AVR. But increasing the crossover, you shifted more of the load to your powered sub, thus increasing the available power from the AVR's amps.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

But increasing the crossover, you shifted more of the load to your powered sub, thus increasing the available power from the AVR's amps.

This might help with the idea that the rear speakers and the receiver EQ system are causing the problem. When YPAO calibrates, if it takes the 26dB sensitivity difference between the fronts and surrounds and merely split it as a result of the test tone loudness, theoretically the fronts would cut to -13dB and the rears boost to +13dB in the speaker trim settings. When the receiver master volume plays at -10 to -12dB, the rears are trying to run close to 0dB reference and can't handle the explosion peak, the amp clips and maybe a protection circuit cuts in. Moving the crossover up frees up some system amp bandwidth and lets the system play @4dB louder before the problem happens.

Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking with it

Mike
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
kmike,

A quibble: Onkyo AVRs use Audyssey equalization. YPAO equalization is proprietary to Yamaha AVRs.

JPD,
The principle is the same, however, and I have the same suspicion as to the cause. The AVR simply does not have enough power to drive those speakers in your room when their sound levels have been calibrated. You might consider replacing the surround speakers with more sensitive ones.

Selden
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

kmike,

A quibble: Onkyo AVRs use Audyssey equalization. YPAO equalization is proprietary to Yamaha AVRs.

JPD,
The principle is the same, however, and I have the same suspicion as to the cause. The AVR simply does not have enough power to drive those speakers in your room when their sound levels have been calibrated. You might consider replacing the surround speakers with more sensitive ones.

No need to quibble, the OP says "My Yamaha RX-V659"....it's his speaker set that are Onkyo.

Mike
post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

2) speakers are fine - disconnected each one individually and tested on the same scene in Transformers - get the same shut off every time

Maybe TWO (or more) of your speakers are blown.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

My Yamaha RX-V659 receiver shuts itself off when I have it at somewhat high volume (-10 to -12 dB depending on sound mode) and there is a sudden loud noise in a movie (like an explosion or gunshot).

I have Onkyo SKW-540 7.1 HT speaker set (powered sub) but I don't have the back 2 speakers hooked up (so it's only 5.1 setup).

I have checked/ruled out the following:
1) shorting out - there are no stray wires anywhere
3) impedance is set correctly for my speakers (8 ohms)
4) speakers are set to small
5) it isn't overheating (can get the shut off on a specific scene even if I just turned the receiver on - and it doesn't feel hot)

Pretty simple..
The Yamaha has limited current capability and when pushed hard it runs out of gas and shuts down..

Just my $0.00..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page