Pioneer SC-35 vs. SC-37 vs. VSX-33? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to get everyone's feedback on my receiver purchase. I know I want to get a new Pioneer but I can't decide on which model to get. I have narrowed it down to 3 of their Elite models:

SC-37
SC-35
VSX-33

So, what do you guys think? I can get a very good deal on each of these speakers. ex I can get the SC 37 for less than $1500. So knowing that, which one should I go with. Comparing features vs. price which one would you go with. Does the extra features between the SC37 and SC35 worth the $400 price difference? or does the extra features of SC35 vs VSX33 worth the $300 price difference?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

wow..68 views and no reply???
post #3 of 11 Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaR1 View Post

wow..68 views and no reply???

SC 37 from what dealer?

Bill
post #4 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezaR1 View Post

I wanted to get everyone's feedback on my receiver purchase. I know I want to get a new Pioneer but I can't decide on which model to get. I have narrowed it down to 3 of their Elite models:

SC-37
SC-35
VSX-33

So, what do you guys think? I can get a very good deal on each of these speakers. ex I can get the SC 37 for less than $1500. So knowing that, which one should I go with. Comparing features vs. price which one would you go with. Does the extra features between the SC37 and SC35 worth the $400 price difference? or does the extra features of SC35 vs VSX33 worth the $300 price difference?
Thanks

The SC amps are ICE Class D, THX certified and cool thermally. The 37 is certified Ultra 2 plus which means it's certified for very large listening spaces. The 37 has a 32 bit DAC and 6 dB greater S/N. The 37 has networking and is updatable via firmware downloads. If you buy a 37 for $1500, you are asking for trouble because that sounds like a non-authorized sell.

From the manual

(SC-37 only)
This receiver is equipped with the two types of functions
that correct phase distortion and group delay: Phase
Control and Full Band Phase Control. Activating Full
Band Phase Control is strongly recommended because it
also involves the effects of Phase Control.
The Full Band Phase Control feature calibrates the
frequency-phase characteristics of the speakers

In case of SC-37
• Setup microphone (cable: 5 m (16.4 ft.))
• Omni-directional remote control (CU-RF100)*************
• RF adapter
• IR blaster cable x2
• AA/LR6 dry cell batteries x4
• AM loop antenna
• FM wire antenna
• iPod cable

• Setup microphone (cable: 5 m (16.4 ft.))
• Remote control unit
• AAA size IEC R03 dry cell batteries (to confirm system
operation) x2
• AM loop antenna
• FM wire antenna
• iPod cable
post #5 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
with previous sc-x5/7 models, "we" pretty much determined that there isn't really a significant difference between the two, and that (for example) the thx certs, while different, are likely more for the marketing department (i.e. the x5 model is as robust as the x7)...

ymmv... this year may be different... for example, if the quote from the manual below is correct (and i have no reason to believe it isn't), the x5 models have been de-contented, as they always had phase control before...

the vsx-33 isn't in the same league...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6 of 11 Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

with previous sc-x5/7 models, "we" pretty much determined that there isn't really a significant difference between the two, and that (for example) the thx certs, while different, are likely more for the marketing department (i.e. the x5 model is as robust as the x7)...

ymmv... this year may be different... for example, if the quote from the manual below is correct (and i have no reason to believe it isn't), the x5 models have been de-contented, as they always had phase control before...

I would tend to believe your statement on the amps, since they appear to use the same module, which incorporates its own power supply. Sort of shocked about the MCACC difference here.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

I'm particularly interested in the differences between the vsx-33 and the sc-35. It's hard to do a side-by-side comparison on the Pioneer website as "compare" feature is down.

I am hoping for something more that the vsx-33 isn't in the same league. Is it just the ICE amps and if so are they that much better? Thanks, John
post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchulte View Post

I'm particularly interested in the differences between the vsx-33 and the sc-35. It's hard to do a side-by-side comparison on the Pioneer website as "compare" feature is down.

I am hoping for something more that the vsx-33 isn't in the same league. Is it just the ICE amps and if so are they that much better? Thanks, John

There was a connectivity issue for me, since the VSX - 33 doesn't have multichannel analog inputs. Obviously one could argue that the interface should be digital and that you could replace your analog output player with a new one with HDMI outputs, unless of course you bought the most expensive Oppo with primo D/As. It's the combination of features which sell me on the SC-37, and in the scheme of life's expenses I don't spend alot on receivers.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks, I can get a very good deal on either the vsx-33 or the sc-35. I guess I'm just trying to justify the additional expense of the sc-35. I'm leaning that way, but am also hoping it's more that just the ice amps or maybe that is enough.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

the amplification section is what you are "really" paying for between the vsx and the sc... the amplification section in the sc will deliver rated power, and will drive some very difficult to drive speakers without issues... the vsx likely will not...

sure, there's some other "spec" differences and i/o differences... some of those may be important to you, some of them may not be... that all depends on what you have for sources, and what you plan on doing in the near future... the "far" future is too hard to plan for, as we have no idea what is around the corner (it's safe to say that a LOT of us didn't expect the 3d craze to start this year, for example)...

imo, if you aren't gonna have to spend the rent money or starve the family to do so, the sc series is a "better" buy...

ymmv...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #11 of 11 Old 08-22-2010, 02:38 PM

Thanks, the better amp is probably the way to go and I'll be running a couple of outdoor speaker on zone 2.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page