Help!! Onkyo PR-SC886 Firmware Problems – Audyssey Pro Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In May 2009 I purchased one of the refurb 886's from shoponkyo.com. Like many others my 886 appeared to be new and came with main firmware 1.01. After completing my theater I became interested in Audyssey Pro calibration. Having read the posts on AVSForum I knew that I needed main firmware 1.04 or 1.05 if wanted to do Audyssey Pro calibration. After several calls to Onkyo technical support they sent me an update CD with main firmware 1.05.

After installing 1.05 I noticed three problems. 1) I began to have frequent problems with the video freezing when switching between HDMI inputs. 2) The video would also freeze every time I attempted to change resolution by holding down the remotes DISPLAY button and when RESOLUTION appeared on the screen pressing left or right. 3) Also I would intermittently lose the VOLUME display. All three problems could be cleared by turning the unit off and on.

I contacted Onkyo and requested they send version 1.01 so I could roll the unit back to the original firmware. They agreed to send 1.01 however what they sent was version 1.04.

I installed the 1.04 and continued to have same problems, however with 1.04 the video freeze when changing HDMI inputs was less frequent. I would classify it as often instead of frequent.

In looking at the files on the 1.05 CD I found version 1.03.

I installed 1.03 and with the exception of losing the VOLUME display one time all of the other problems have been resolved.

I have tested each version several time and the problems remain consistent.

Onkyo support insists the video freezes are a hardware problem that requires repair. I seem to get a deer in the headlights response when I ask why 1.03 clears the problems. Given the poor reviews on the Onkyo repair centers near me I am not going to send it to be fixed when it is not broken.

I believe that 1.04 & 1.05 firmware versions have problems. Possibly the problems are only with specific units. It appears from various posts others may have experienced the same thing.

I WANT TO PRESS THIS ISSUE WITH ONKYO AND NEED HELP WITH RESPONSES TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:

1. Have you upgraded your PR-SC886 firmware to 1.04 or 1.05 and have problems with the video freezing when switching between HDMI inputs?

2. Have you upgraded your PR-SC886 firmware to 1.04 or 1.05 and are unable to change resolution using the remote (hold down the DISPLAY button, then press left or right)?

3. Have you had an Audyssey Pro calibration successfully performed on your PR-SC886? What version of firmware did you have installed?

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
1. Have you upgraded your PR-SC886 firmware to 1.04 or 1.05 and have problems with the video freezing when switching between HDMI inputs?

I upgraded my PR-SC886p to 1.05 a year ago. I have seen no problems with video freezing when switching input.

2. Have you upgraded your PR-SC886 firmware to 1.04 or 1.05 and are unable to change resolution using the remote (hold down the DISPLAY button, then press left or right)?

I don't recall that I have ever tried this.

3. Have you had an Audyssey Pro calibration successfully performed on your PR-SC886? What version of firmware did you have installed?

Yes. I upgraded to 1.05 before the calibration.

Bob
post #3 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have the 886 and I think upgraded to FW 1.04. I have had no problems with my unit.

This model does get very, very warm. Do you have yours in a well ventilated area? Do you only encounter these issues after the 886 has been on for a while?

I have a small fan on top of mine to help pull heat out.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hi John,

I'm sorry you are having difficulties.

Like you in May 2009 I purchased one of the “refurb” 886’s from shoponkyo.com. It appeared to be new and came with main firmware 1.01. I used version 1.05 that was provided via a link posted on an AVS firmware thread.

Occasionally I have experienced video lockups when switching between my HD DVD player and my Blu-ray player, both connected via HDMI. However, I feel that it just makes sense to only have one player on at a time to reduce the incidence of occasional HDMI handshake difficulties. I haven't had any problems when only powering up one player at a time and then switching inputs. Independent of switching issues, I have never been successful in establishing an HDMI handshake with my TiVoHD DVR, so it is connected to my Onkyo via component video and the Onkyo transcodes the video to HDMI. The TiVo is always on, and I have never experienced a problem switching between another active source such as either of my players.

I am not familiar with this procedure, and I could not find a reference to it in the owner's manual. On page 66 the manual describes using the DISPLAY key on the remote to display source information. On page 49-50 it describes using the SETUP key on the remote to get to the resolution menu. My projector has a native resolution of 720p. I haven't found a need to repeatedly cycle through the available resolution options. On my initial setup I did not encounter any problems setting the resolution using the setup menu.

I have successfully performed Audyssey Pro calibrations. I used version 1.05 of the Onkyo firmware, and I believe it was version 3.2 of the Audyssey Pro software.

Good luck in resolving your issues.

Larry

EDIT:
I have never experienced a problem losing the VOLUME display.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

I am not familiar with this procedure, and I could not find a reference to it in the owner's manual. On page 66 the manual describes using the DISPLAY key on the remote to display source information. On page 49-50 it describes using the SETUP key on the remote to get to the resolution menu. My projector has a native resolution of 720p. I haven't found a need to repeatedly cycle through the available resolution options. On my initial setup I did not encounter any problems setting the resolution using the setup menu.

Larry

Hi John,

On page 104 of the owner's manual I ran across the following:

Quote:

Note:
The Zoom Mode can also be set using the [DISPLAY]
button on the remote controller.
1. Press and hold the [DISPLAY] button until the setting
item appears on the display.
2. Use the Up and Down [^]/[v] buttons to select
Zoom Mode, and use the Left and Right [<]/[>]
buttons to change the setting.

So rather than changing the resolution, the DISPLAY button on the remote control allows us to select the various Zoom options.

Larry
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 PM

I hope people are still reading this. Someone sent me the firmware upgrade for this and the instructions are for the DHC-9.9, not the 886. It says to put it into update mode is to hold the TUNE UP button and then plug it in. But when I do that, it never seems to go into upgrade mode. Anyone else successful in doing this and how you got it into update mode?

Thanks,
SCott
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 AM

Scott!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic View Post

I hope people are still reading this. Someone sent me the firmware upgrade for this and the instructions are for the DHC-9.9, not the 886. It says to put it into update mode is to hold the TUNE UP button and then plug it in. But when I do that, it never seems to go into upgrade mode. Anyone else successful in doing this and how you got it into update mode?

In case this still helps you: I just had the exact same problem and after I found somewhere mentioned that for some models the buttons might be different I tried a few other ones.

I was finally successful with the ENTER button. (That's the one below RETURN).

Good luck!
Oliver
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Yep that is it, although I FINALLY tracked down someone at onkyo who actually knew about that firmware upgrade. Most everyone in the support department denied it existed....
post #9 of 9 Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
post deleted
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page