Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare1 View Post

My 3008 will arrive next week. 2 questions so far:

1)
I'll use the 3008 in a 9.1 setup, using suround back speakers and front height speakers (2 front, 2 height, 2 surround, 2 back surround plus center)

I want to connect the 2 height speakers using the preouts and external amplifier. On P 51 in user manual there is a front high+front wide setting very unclear for me:

[..■Front High + Front Wide
��Yes:
Front High + Front Wide on.
��No:
Front High + Front Wide off.

Note
When you have selected Yes,
- the Surround Back setting is set to None.

So what does that mean, when I select yes, surround back will be set to none because both channels are sharing the same amp? Or does it mean, that I can not use both, the wide _AND_ height channels at the same time with surround back? So either front wide with surround back or front height with surround back, right?

Anyhow it should be possible to run a 11.1 using the preouts, but the setting described above will prevent this.

2) That Audyssey TX32 bug - is it just a minor 'audiophil voodoooooo i hear a difference bug when I paint my BD disc pink' or is it real, audible bug (real = audible for everyone)?

You cannot run 11.2 with the 3008 or 5008 because of the way it does the speaker setup. If you want 11.2 with an external amp you will need to look at the new Denon.

The bug is very apparent and it makes your speakers sound like crap. Nuff said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply.

But I can run a 9.1 using sur back and front height where front height is connected with preouts and ext. amp, right?
post #363 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Think (hope) its realy going to be fixed this week........

Here a reply from Onkyo Europe about the XT32 bug:

thank you very much for your message and your interest in ONKYO products. You have reached the support/help desk for ONKYO Europe.
Regarding to our information.

The new update for the TX-NR 3008 /5008 shall be available this week.

MfG / Sincere Regards
Dieter Strecke

Product Information

ONKYO Europe Electronics GmbH

Keep fingers X
post #364 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

Yes, there's no doubt the 3008/5008 are as pretty high-end receivers and are loaded with features. Build construction is solid.

At 55 lbs, it's pretty heavy and beefy, just the way I like it.

Although I have much respect for Denon, the equivalent 4311 model weighs only 39lbs... But I don't want to start a war, both are awesome products. To each his own.

It's my first experience with Onkyo. My 3008 unit is supposed to arrive anytime tomorrow... Hopefully the FW update will be released soon.

Come on Onkyo, let's go!!! Get this FW update posted for all users to finally enjoy their product.

I was considering that unit till I started digging deeper into the specs. The Denon 4311 consumes 780W where the Onkyo 3008/5008 consumes 11.6A. Between the weight and power consumption numbers I would have to say the Onkyo has a beefier power supply.

post #365 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

I was considering that unit till I started digging deeper into the specs. The Denon 4311 consumes 780W where the Onkyo 3008/5008 consumes 11.6A. Between the weight and power consumption numbers I would have to say the Onkyo has a beefier power supply.

Onkyo's amps have always been a step ahead of the competition in their price range
Now if they can only fix that dam XT32 bug.
post #366 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM

This is where things start to become ridiculous...

As of Tuesday, possibly late Monday, the web team had received the final firmware update that passed all tests. All they had to do was release it on the website...

We're Wednesday evening, currently 19h15 EST, and still no sign of the FW update on the Onkyo website...

How hard can it be to post a file for download?

What is keeping them so long? Come on !!!!

I can understand the testing steps, and heck, even cut them slack while they're working on a fix (as long as they were working hard at it).

But now that all testing is done (green light given by both Audyssey and Onkyo), they can't move quick enough to release the file?

Disapointment. I hope I spelled that right.
post #367 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:

As of Tuesday, possibly late Monday, the web team had received the final firmware update that passed all tests. All they had to do was release it on the website...

We're Wednesday evening, currently 19h15 EST, and still no sign of the FW update on the Onkyo website...

I can understand the testing steps, and heck, even cut them slack while they're working on a fix (as long as they were working hard at it).

But now that all testing is done (green light given by both Audyssey and Onkyo), they can't move quick enough to release the file?

They may have got caught in a long line at Starbucks, the new Starbucks Menu change reversal has sent shock waves through-out the world...
post #368 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:

It sucks but try to be patient. I think most people would rather them do it right then mess it up and it take another 2 weeks. One bad thing about buying the first receiver production runs with a new feature. Bugs!

post #369 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnapper View Post

They may have got caught in a long line at Starbucks, the new Starbucks Menu change reversal has sent shock waves through-out the world...

Hahahaha that is funny! I like your style.
post #370 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
They take great pain in making sure, that the firmware update cannot be possibly applied to the previous generation models 3007 and 5007, because the XT32 is just a software update...
post #371 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

Onkyo's amps have always been a step ahead of the competition in their price range

Not anymore.
post #372 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:

One bad thing about buying the first receiver production runs with a new feature. Bugs!

Hence why I NEVER buy the first batch of any new model when it comes to electronics.
post #373 of 8674 Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very simple, the Onkyo uses 2 power transformers where other brands use one.
I can not say that using two will be better, its heavier but better ?
Is a Toyota Prius with its 2 engines better then a car with 1, no !
Just more things can go wrong............
Dont forget that all the brands make things to sell, not because its better or sounds better, just to sell.
Onkyo is a brand thats very keen on gagets (and a lot of it), others like Marantz put there money on stuff that will sound "better", at least, thats what they want us to beleave.
I do not think that the current brands like Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz are so much different, its just wat they want us to beleave and wat you as a buyer want to beleave...............
post #374 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Very simple, the Onkyo uses 2 power transformers where other brands use one.
I can not say that using two will be better, its heavier but better ?
Is a Toyota Prius with its 2 engines better then a car with 1, no !
Just more things can go wrong............
Dont forget that all the brands make things to sell, not because its better or sounds better, just to sell.
Onkyo is a brand thats very keen on gagets (and a lot of it), others like Marantz put there money on stuff that will sound "better", at least, thats what they want us to beleave.
I do not think that the current brands like Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz are so much different, its just wat they want us to beleave and wat you as a buyer want to beleave...............

I just hope some professional reviewers hook up the Onkyo 3008/5008 and Denon 4311 up to equipment to measure performance. Something with two transformers reduces load verses one part taking the load. I am just skeptical of the Denon only rated at 780 watts and yet being 9 x 140. Though technically, the Prius is considered a lot better on gas mileage because of it's design :O

post #375 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

How about subwoofers? Is it better to have two or just one? I rest my case.

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #376 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

All channels driven, the Denon might only have something like 9 x 70 Watt, while the Onkyo may have something like 9 x 110 Watt, short interval driven. Because of the accompanying currents (and heat) associated with this, limiters will cut in after a short time and lower this even further, to prevent damage to the power amps.
Most, if not all, of these units don't have enough heat sink area for the amount of power provided, making these preventive measures necessary.
But this much power is hardly ever needed because of the average of a few Watts per channel needed during normal usage.

Quote:

I just hope some professional reviewers hook up the Onkyo 3008/5008 and Denon 4311 up to equipment to measure performance. Something with two transformers reduces load verses one part taking the load. I am just skeptical of the Denon only rated at 780 watts and yet being 9 x 140. Though technically, the Prius is considered a lot better on gas mileage because of it's design :O

post #377 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The more... the better, because then the listening room is more evenly "lit", causing less problems with individual acoustics / room modes.
You could go even further for a D(ouble) B(ass) A(rray), minimum four subs, to eliminate most of the room modes, but this needs more (electronics) than just 4 subs.

PS.: Those multi-sub setups don't always mean getting more bass. It often means getting more clean, natural bass with less disturbances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

post #378 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
and the difference between 70 and 100 watts anyway?

barely perceptible, if at all.

And certainly not amongst the top criteria used to make a decision between two or more AVRs.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #379 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

+1
post #380 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homank76 View Post

LOL you're clearly not a lawyer. 2 subwoofers can be worse than having just one. It's all about how they are used.
post #381 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

LOL you're clearly not a lawyer. 2 subwoofers can be worse than having just one. It's all about how they are used.

I thought Audyssey took care of that............
post #382 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Its usefulness goes in both directions, depending on placement and usage.
A double sub setup, having each sub in the exact middle of opposing side walls in a rectangular room, facing each other, is usually better, than a single sub somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

post #383 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

I thought Audyssey took care of that............

That's the idea anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Its usefulness goes in both directions, depending on placement and usage.
A double sub setup, having each sub in the exact middle of opposing side walls in a rectangular room, facing each other, is usually better, than a single sub somewhere else.

Yes I appreciate that 2 well-placed subs can exceed a single sub, but a single well-placed sub will likely sound better than 2 poorly placed subs. So to simply say more is better is just not true. More can be better...case closed
post #384 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 05:18 PM

I'm strongly considering the new Onkyo recievers. What is the real difference from the 3008 and the 1008? From what I can tell it is just the increased power and a few features I don't think I would even use. I don't know if the extra $600-700 is best served on the 3008, but I'll let the experts fill me in ;-)
post #385 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1370 View Post

I'm strongly considering the new Onkyo recievers. What is the real difference from the 3008 and the 1008? From what I can tell it is just the increased power and a few features I don't think I would even use. I don't know if the extra $600-700 is best served on the 3008, but I'll let the experts fill me in ;-)

Personally I don't like the Faroudja DCDI in the 1008, I had the Integra 50.2 with the Faroudja and it had a problem with stutter while the GUI/OSD was active.

I see no issue like this in the 5008, the 3008 has the same REON chip so it should perform just as well. Now if Onkyo can just get that firmware update posted I will be a happy man...
post #386 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnapper View Post

Personally I don't like the Faroudja DCDI in the 1008, I had the Integra 50.2 with the Faroudja and it had a problem with stutter while the GUI/OSD was active.

I see no issue like this in the 5008, the 3008 has the same REON chip so it should perform just as well. Now if Onkyo can just get that firmware update posted I will be a happy man...

No issue with stutter & the GUI with my 808
post #387 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post

No issue with stutter & the GUI with my 808

It's very minimal, my wife didn't notice it... I would see it maybe 5 times through out a 2 hour movie... If you blink you could miss it and some might say well it's no big deal then. However if you do finally notice it, it's an annoyance
tough to over look........
post #388 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare1 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

But I can run a 9.1 using sur back and front height where front height is connected with preouts and ext. amp, right?

That is my question as well. I want to run a 9.2 setup with surround, surround backs, and the front height speakers. I dont have a wide enough room to make use of the front wides though. When I select front height/wide on the receiver, it automatically sets the surround back to "none". Am I able to do surround, surround back, and front height speakers from this recevier or do I need to look at the Denon 4311ci? I have a seperate 5 channel amplifier as well, so I could reconfigure that somehow as well if needed but I would just like to have 9.2 sound, with 2 of the speakers being the surround backs.

Thanks

Blu-Ray - 1028
HD DVD - 57
SD DVD - 1159
I Do Blu.
Own It. Now. NEXTEL. Done.|

post #389 of 8674 Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 PM

@codee: Yes you can. The height+wide setting is a bit confusing, it means height *AND* wide at the same time. You need to press SP Layout to select sur back and front height. Then you need either a 7.1 source and select Audyssey, or you select PL II DSX movie with a 5.1 source.

Does anyone know if we will ever see Audyssey _encoded_ material using discrete front heihgt / or width channels?
post #390 of 8674 Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 AM

Heads-up firmware for TX-NR3008/5008, PR-SC5508 is up on Onkyo Europe. Fix for the XT32 bug.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/firmware/fir...en_8722058.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page