New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #451 of 8697 Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is that now really true that all 3008/5008 have been recalled by onkyo? I should get my unit this week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8697 Old 09-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Liked: 15
This is why I always stick to one golden rule when purchasing electronics. Never, EVER purchase from the first batch of any new model #. Too many bugs and manufacturers are usually rushing out units to meet a certain release date. I only purchase electronic products upon closeout.
post #453 of 8697 Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

This is why I always stick to one golden rule when purchasing electronics. Never, EVER purchase from the first batch of any new model #. Too many bugs and manufacturers are usually rushing out units to meet a certain release date. I only purchase electronic products upon closeout.

I agree, however after working as an SMT operator, Wave solder operator, PCB board assembler etc etc.. I know the first run of boards always get the best QC to make sure the machines are doing there job..I will take a fixable bug over cold solder or a cracked cap any day of the week......
post #454 of 8697 Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnapper View Post

I agree, however after working as an SMT operator, Wave solder operator, PCB board assembler etc etc.. I know the first run of boards always get the best QC to make sure the machines are doing there job..I will take a fixable bug over cold solder or a cracked cap any day of the week......

Well said. Plus there's the fact that many (including myself) have been reading for so long on these new models coming out that sometimes, we're fed up of waiting, as I was, and hence jumped the gun and bought a Pioneer Elite SC-37 which I don't regret at all.

Like others said, in a certain price range, models are "usually" equivalent in terms of features and quality. Yes there always will be differences, but in the big picture, there rarely is a clear winner, that's what competition is all about.

So if one manufacturer misses their launch due to a faulty product, the others will pick up sales. That's the nature of things.
post #455 of 8697 Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

So has anyone tried to play wide and high at the same time? How does it sound? What kind of speakers did you use?
post #456 of 8697 Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

So has anyone tried to play wide and high at the same time? How does it sound? What kind of speakers did you use?

yes, that is the reason i sold my 3007 was to be able to use both high and wides.

I like the h&w's over the 3007's choices and I use matching Emptec e5b's for both high and wides
post #457 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:

You can not use height & width at the same time, you can use sur back either with height or with front width. You need to disable sur back when you want to use height & width at the same time (which I don't want).

I'll use 4 Ohm speakers. What do you recommend for impedance setting? I heard some people leave it at 8 ohm even with 4 ohm speakers. Should I run it with 6 Ohm?

Thanks, Philipp
post #458 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Leave it as it is.
The 4 Ohm mode limits available power, nothing else.
post #459 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 AM

can somebody explain me please,what is the diferece between burn brown 192/24 x6(3008) vs 192/24(3007) what is the meaning of the x6

thanks
post #460 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare1 View Post

I'll use 4 Ohm speakers. What do you recommend for impedance setting? I heard some people leave it at 8 ohm even with 4 ohm speakers. Should I run it with 6 Ohm?

Thanks, Philipp

Try it at 8 ohm. If the receiver gets extremely hot or shuts off and goes into general protection mode then switch to 4 ohm.

post #461 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can not use height & width at the same time, you can use sur back either with height or with front width. You need to disable sur back when you want to use height & width at the same time (which I don't want).

Thanks, Philipp

I realize that you need to disable surround back in order to run height and wide at the same time; my plan is to setup and properly place all 11 speakers and switch it around on whatever source (usually a movie) until it sounds best. As long as SL and SR are properly placed just behind the listening area along the side walls; I hope it will still sound quite good without surround back. If a particular movie sounds better with surround back, I can just hit the SP Layout button. There are not a whole lot of native 7.1 movies out there that I can think of, so SBL and SBR are nice on a 5.1 source; but perhaps negotiable.

I would love some feedback on how high and wide sound together, to see if it's worth the effort. I actually have all the speakers, it's down to pulling the trigger on the x008 or not. Actually, the biggest stumbling block is what to do with my tx-sr805, I don't think I can bring myself to sell it. I'll have to convert the guest bedroom into another viewing room. There will be zero WAF for that (heck or any of my HT shenanigans). I may end up sleeping with the 805 in the spare bedroom
post #462 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Has anyone out there done a direct comparison of one of the top end Onkyo / Integra AVR/Propro's vs a good to top standalone stereo DAC?

How good are the Onkyo's when working as "Pure Audio" DAC/Pre's?

(I have a TX-SR876 but am posting in the related AVR threads as well)

Thanks
post #463 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Another question, can someone try if a modified DB-25 male connector fit into the universal port? Is the distance between DB-25 pins the same as with the universal port?
post #464 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreroman View Post

can somebody explain me please,what is the diferece between burn brown 192/24 x6(3008) vs 192/24(3007) what is the meaning of the x6

thanks

x6 means 6 DACs
post #465 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I realize that you need to disable surround back in order to run height and wide at the same time; my plan is to setup and properly place all 11 speakers and switch it around on whatever source (usually a movie) until it sounds best. As long as SL and SR are properly placed just behind the listening area along the side walls; I hope it will still sound quite good without surround back. If a particular movie sounds better with surround back, I can just hit the SP Layout button. There are not a whole lot of native 7.1 movies out there that I can think of, so SBL and SBR are nice on a 5.1 source; but perhaps negotiable.

unfortunately there is more to it than that, if you want the H&W together the wides are plugged in the rear surround speaker jacks. hitting the sp buttton only works when you setup the 3008 as a 3007. in order to switch back and forth you will need to rewire the speakers AND rerun Audyssey. I use a bipole side surround speaker set behind the main row of seats and I get a very good back surround like sound and iI really do not miss the rear surrounds. I noticed that the back surrounds were not that necessary when I had an 807 and I was only using the heights or the wides and not the backs, also when I upgraded to the 3007 it confirmed that the back surrounds were not very beneficial. As I stated before that now that I have a 3008 I enjoy the spaciousness of the front soundstage. I have a narrow (12.5ft) basement theater and the wides make it sound wider and the height speakers help to raise the low ceiling, overall effect is that it sounds like a much bigger room
post #466 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I would love some feedback on how high and wide sound together, to see if it's worth the effort. I actually have all the speakers, it's down to pulling the trigger on the x008 or not. Actually, the biggest stumbling block is what to do with my tx-sr805, I don't think I can bring myself to sell it. I'll have to convert the guest bedroom into another viewing room. There will be zero WAF for that (heck or any of my HT shenanigans). I may end up sleeping with the 805 in the spare bedroom

mcsoul,

This is a tough question to answer, since everyone has different room sizes. A setup in a smaller room may sound good without surround back speakers. However, a larger room may not. Also, people will have different preferences. I've heard people state that high speakers added more than the wide. I would try the various setups and see which one you like. Unfortunately, you can't have all eleven with these AVRs.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #467 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

unfortunately there is more to it than that, if you want the H&W together the wides are plugged in the rear surround speaker jacks. hitting the sp buttton only works when you setup the 3008 as a 3007. in order to switch back and forth you will need to rewire the speakers AND rerun Audyssey. I use a bipole side surround speaker set behind the main row of seats and I get a very good back surround like sound and iI really do not miss the rear surrounds. I noticed that the back surrounds were not that necessary when I had an 807 and I was only using the heights or the wides and not the backs, also when I upgraded to the 3007 it confirmed that the back surrounds were not very beneficial. As I stated before that now that I have a 3008 I enjoy the spaciousness of the front soundstage. I have a narrow (12.5ft) basement theater and the wides make it sound wider and the height speakers help to raise the low ceiling, overall effect is that it sounds like a much bigger room

I thought that Auddyssey would detect all speakers, but maybe it depends on the state of the SP Layout button's last selection. Page 15 of the manual shows that all 11 speakers can be wired at the same time, I'm not sure what you mean by running the 3007 as a 3008? Page 33 made me think that Audyssey attempts to ping all 11 speakers plus 2 subs.

I though I could wire up all 11 speakers, audyssey would detect them one at a time, and setup correction algorithms for all of them. Then in normal operation, I would have to run 9 at a time and use the SP layout button to turn off either height, wide or surround back.
post #468 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought that Auddyssey would detect all speakers, but maybe it depends on the state of the SP Layout button's last selection. Page 15 of the manual shows that all 11 speakers can be wired at the same time, I'm not sure what you mean by running the 3007 as a 3008? Page 33 made me think that Audyssey attempts to ping all 11 speakers plus 2 subs.

I though I could wire up all 11 speakers, audyssey would detect them one at a time, and setup correction algorithms for all of them. Then in normal operation, I would have to run 9 at a time and use the SP layout button to turn off either height, wide or surround back.

only if used like the 3007 where all eleven speakers are pinged. in the first screen if you choose both high and wide then only 9 speakers terminals are active the normal wide terminals are deactivated and the do not ping. with H&W on only 9 speakers are recognized by Audyssey. it was very confusing at first as i was coming from a 3007 and had certain expectations which of course as you will learn that those expectations DO NOT hold through with the 3008. You have only 2 options available: 1) to run the speakers as in a 3007 AVR or 2) run the both H&W option and each requires different wiring and separate Audyssey calibrations
post #469 of 8697 Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Are there any Network (internet) connection problems with the xxx8 like the TX NR708 has ?
(It will say "initializing" forever when trying to connect to the network)
post #470 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This must be a very specific situation in that connection, where this is happening, may be caused by something else (configuration etc.).
post #471 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:

x6 means 6 DACs

the tx-nr3007 use dac pcm1796 for all the chanels,and tx nr-3008 ?

because if this mean that tx-nr3008 use pcm1796 only for 6 chanels it is a step back.
post #472 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

This must be a very specific situation in that connection, where this is happening, may be caused by something else (configuration etc.).

Well, it seems Integra 70.2 is having the same connection problems as mentioned on the 708 forum, and i had the identical problems with two 708 units, no problems with the 3007 to connect !
Same cable, same router, same receiver setting.....
post #473 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 05:15 AM

make sure DHCP ist enabled in your router.
post #474 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do i do that (UPC Thomson router) and why is the 3007 working fine on the same router and the 708 not ?
post #475 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM

I can't believe theres no talk about the firmware update, good, bad or ugly.
post #476 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found how to "get in" the router and here the settings.
Anything wrong or some setting that could make the Onkyo/Integra not to connect ?
LL
LL
LL
post #477 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Found how to "get in" the router and here the settings.
Anything wrong or some setting that could make the Onkyo/Integra not to connect ?

DHCP is on, so that looks good. Does the router have a page that shows the connections? You can often see if there are devices attached to the router that way. This would tell you if the 3008 is connected/trying to connect or not. I'm going to be trying to check my new one out at some point and see if it needs the firmware upgrade.
post #478 of 8697 Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

DHCP is on, so that looks good. Does the router have a page that shows the connections? You can often see if there are devices attached to the router that way. This would tell you if the 3008 is connected/trying to connect or not. I'm going to be trying to check my new one out at some point and see if it needs the firmware upgrade.

Initial investigation suggests that the DHCP problem may be with the 5008 itself. It appears that a DHCP request is not sent each time the unit is powered on, however unplugging and replugging the uplink while the unit is powered on causes a DHCP request to be sent every time. Next steps are to analyze the traffic to see what is really going on.

On another connectivity note, anybody able to use the Internet radio stations? I've verified the unit has an address but on every single station (including custom) I receive the following message: "Connection Error. The server connection could not be established or was terminated early. Please try again later."
post #479 of 8697 Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

I did read on 708 forum concerning the connection problem that using a "static" IP address would solve the connection problem.
If i want to use a staic IP must i turn off the DHCP on the modem ?
And will my other PC's still work correct ?
post #480 of 8697 Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 AM

You can try a static ip, in your case it would be:

gateway: 192.168.0.1 (default)
subnet mask: as set in the router

However it will not be the definitive solution. Before trying static IP try to remove multicast flag in router!

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

I can't believe theres no talk about the firmware update, good, bad or ugly.

well me too. After reading 20 pages of audyssey problems I expected a bit more here. However generally -no news are good news- when it comes to technical problems.

A question related to IR codes, is there an updated excel of onkyo IR code list? (Onkyo_IR_RCVR_083109). I use the codes of 3007, I guess they will work in 3008 too. I'm reprogramming my pronto until the 3008 arrives. I also wonder why the codes are shortened in pronteditNG, for exaple:

code in onky excel:
0000 006D 0022 0002 0156 00AB 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 0015 0015 003F 0015 003F 0015 003F 0015 003F 0015 0676 0156 0055 0015 0E47

when I copy paste this into pronteditng it is shortened to:
900A 006D 0000 0001 D202 0AF5

Is this normal?

Thanks, Philipp
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page