New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #541 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With my 3008 hooked to a rear projection tv all the cable or dvd displays have the bars at the top and bottom of the screen whether its a movie, which I realize most of the time have bars, or commercials, or news programs. The display setting on the receiver is set to full. If I hit enter when I am in the setup menu of the 3008 it will display in full with no bars. if i then exit out of setup the screen reverts back to bars top and bottom. Anyone have any suggestions? I have tried zoom and wide zoom but that distorts the images on the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Because the hardware and amps are practically the same as before, why should this change ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tephra View Post

hows the heat output on the 3008?

post #543 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM

so they still produce a lot of heat then?
post #544 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Because the hardware and amps are practically the same as before, why should this change ?

As my Integra 70.2 is almost the same as the 3008 and 3007 i would think the heat is the same, but its absolute not !
The 70.2 runs much cooler then the 3007 where the whole top from end to front was starting with hot to handwarm on the front.
The 70.2 is handwarm on the back and cool on the front so this 70.2 is running cooler then the 3007 i had for 9 month even specs are almost identical.
post #545 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Surprise, surprise...
They (Onkyo/Integra) must have lowered the class A/B overlap area (the class A area), so that less power is been consumed now.
Would be interesting to know, if this has any consequences regarding SQ...
post #546 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there really any difference between the 5007 and 5008 other than the upgrade from HDMI 1.3a to 1.4 for "3D" pass-through?

This looked more like a patch-fix to stay current with the new "3D craze" to me.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #547 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

When i play songs from my HDD through the USB on every song switch the receiver is making a MUTE click.
This s the same click you hear when you push the mute button on the remote.

And try this:

Disable the sub(s) in the speaker setup menu and: NO mute clicks
Activate the sub(s) again and: the MUTE cilcks are back.

With all the problems you have with network radio and this, have you considered something like Squeezebox Touch? It is a purpose specific device that has enormous community support, powerful music library functions, and it works very well.
post #548 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Is there really any difference between the 5007 and 5008 other than the upgrade from HDMI 1.3a to 1.4 for "3D" pass-through?

This looked more like a patch-fix to stay current with the new "3D craze" to me.

You would get with the 5008, two huge upgrades; Audyssey MultEq XT32 which is the latest and most powerful consumer room eq yet from Audyssey and DSX Height and Wide capability for a 9.1 configuration.

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multeq.html
post #549 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
I believe the 5007 also offers DSX Height and Wide Capabilities and just like the 5008, you cannot run 11.2 even with a 2 Channel Amplifier. XT 32 is definitely a nice upgrade. I really do look forward to a Professional Review of XT 32.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #550 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 PM

sorry about the 5800 tis 5008....my only excuse is football injuries...hum at least I think I played football?....smile

Pandora builds your own play list. I like women singers and the corporate music industry does not give a lot of air time to women. So I use Pandora and started a Joni Mitchell station...I like Pandora, for 30 dollars a year they upgrade the quality of the feed, I think it's worth it. cheers

my 5008 does not seem to run hot... I was going to buy a fan but no need

Want What Why
post #551 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Does the toroidal transformer on the 5008 really put out much more power compared to the 3008 that doesn't have a torroidal???

Is the 5008 worth the extra $$$ over the 3008 to drive 4-ohm speakers such as these:

http://totemacoustic.com/english/hi-...forest-model-1

What does a torroidal transformer do?
post #552 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 PM

Has anyone had trouble with their NR3008 and the net or usb setup? My usb doesn't seem to recognize anything I plug in. Also, both the Network and Firmware Update options on my Hardware Setup menu are gray. It's almost like the net / usb / universal port connectors have no power. Anyone know of anything I could be doing wrong? Thanks!
post #553 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

Has anyone had trouble with their NR3008 and the net or usb setup? My usb doesn't seem to recognize anything I plug in. Also, both the Network and Firmware Update options on my Hardware Setup menu are gray. It's almost like the net / usb / universal port connectors have no power. Anyone know of anything I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

If you pull out the UTP cable and wait for 20 - 25 seconds, you will see Hardware Setup becomes active again and all will work, inclouding USB.
This is exact the problem with this receiver, instable Network connection.
After you pulled the UTP, go the Network and make Network Control active, then this problem is solved but the receiver will stay 24/7 active and will boost your electrical bill.
That is, if your problem is the same as mine, but what i read its the same problem.......
post #554 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:

If you pull out the UTP cable and wait for 20 - 25 seconds, you will see Hardware Setup becomes active again and all will work, inclouding USB.

Wow! You are absolutely right. And now the USB is working and I can start the firmware update. Have you tried a firmware update to the new NR3008 firmware to see if it fixes these problems? I should know in half an hour. It's at 3% downloaded from USB now. Thank you.

I see you did mention this back around post 498 and I didn't connect it. I can confirm this is a problem on my recently shipped NR3008 from Newegg.
post #555 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:

This is exact the problem with this receiver, instable Network connection.
After you pulled the UTP, go the Network and make Network Control active, then this problem is solved but the receiver will stay 24/7 active and will boost your electrical bill.
That is, if your problem is the same as mine, but what i read its the same problem.......

Hmmm...My network control is disabled, but internet and USB are always stable.
post #556 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Well, the good news is the firmware update went smoothly. But the grayed out network and firmware update options are still there afterwards if the network cable is left plugged in. Also, the 'Remote Controller Setup' option on the main screen is grayed out. If the network cable is unplugged, the all ungrayed in about 30 seconds.

The same problem occurs every time I bring the unit out of standby.

If the network cable is unplugged and then the unit is brought out of standby, these items are also grayed out, but they ungray in about 30 seconds to a minute. They never seem to become enabled if the network is plugged in.

Maybe it's related to cable? I'm using a rather old and long length of Cat5. If I unplug it until things ungray, then I can use internet radio on the network fine. But putting the unit to sleep breaks all that again. Seems like a startup bug to me. I'll have to try some Cat6 when I get a hold of a length long enough for this run.
post #557 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

Does the toroidal transformer on the 5008 really put out much more power compared to the 3008 that doesn't have a torroidal???

Is the 5008 worth the extra $$$ over the 3008 to drive 4-ohm speakers such as these:

http://totemacoustic.com/english/hi-...forest-model-1

What does a torroidal transformer do?

as per Wiki:

Quote:

Toroidal cores
Small toroidal core transformer

Toroidal transformers are built around a ring-shaped core, which, depending on operating frequency, is made from a long strip of silicon steel or permalloy wound into a coil, powdered iron, or ferrite.[59] A strip construction ensures that the grain boundaries are optimally aligned, improving the transformer's efficiency by reducing the core's reluctance. The closed ring shape eliminates air gaps inherent in the construction of an E-I core.[32] The cross-section of the ring is usually square or rectangular, but more expensive cores with circular cross-sections are also available. The primary and secondary coils are often wound concentrically to cover the entire surface of the core. This minimizes the length of wire needed, and also provides screening to minimize the core's magnetic field from generating electromagnetic interference.

Toroidal transformers are more efficient than the cheaper laminated E-I types for a similar power level. Other advantages compared to E-I types, include smaller size (about half), lower weight (about half), less mechanical hum (making them superior in audio amplifiers), lower exterior magnetic field (about one tenth), low off-load losses (making them more efficient in standby circuits), single-bolt mounting, and greater choice of shapes. The main disadvantages are higher cost and limited power capacity (see "Classification" above). Because of the lack of a residual gap in the magnetic path, toroidal transformers also tend to exhibit higher inrush current, compared to laminated E-I types.

Ferrite toroidal cores are used at higher frequencies, typically between a few tens of kilohertz to hundreds of megahertz, to reduce losses, physical size, and weight of switch-mode power supplies. A drawback of toroidal transformer construction is the higher labor cost of winding. This is because it is necessary to pass the entire length of a coil winding through the core aperture each time a single turn is added to the coil. As a consequence, toroidal transformers are uncommon above ratings of a few kVA. Small distribution transformers may achieve some of the benefits of a toroidal core by splitting it and forcing it open, then inserting a bobbin containing primary and secondary windings.

The Toroid in the 5007 and 5008 does make quite a difference, as the entire power amplification stage of the receiver is different from that of the 3007/8. It's not so much about the RMS power rating of the receiver, as it is about the reserve power the power supplies for the amp stage can deliver for difficult highly reactive, low impedance loads, like electrostatic panels for example. Granted, it still won't be as good as using dedicated monoblock amplifiers to drive your speakers, but as far as an AVR goes, the Onkyo 5008 is about as good as it gets. Personally I ended up going to an Adcom GFA-555 II to drive my mains, and use the Onkyo to drive everything else (rears, center)

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #558 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 PM

I just updated my 5008 firmware via network No problem (I am using CAT 6 on my LAN)

home button on remote/ setup button on remote / go to 7. Hardware Setup / go to 7. Firmware Update

I've got fast DSL just took a min to download update...

Want What Why
post #559 of 8671 Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furmantation View Post

I've got a Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray player connected to the 5008. Unable to get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to work. Player is set to bitstream audiophile. Disc menu audio plays fine, but once the movie starts, the Onkyo flips over to "Unknown" audio input and "All Channel Stereo" audio output. I've tested the player on a different Onkyo (508) and it works fine. Any ideas?

Just tested the 5008 with an LG BD390 player and get the same results. Once the movie starts, the Onkyo switches to "All Channel Stereo" mode and there is no sound. Anybody else have a similar issue? Are you able to play TRUEHD or DTS-HD content in bitstream or passthrough mode?
post #560 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the good news is the firmware update went smoothly. But the grayed out network and firmware update options are still there afterwards if the network cable is left plugged in. Also, the 'Remote Controller Setup' option on the main screen is grayed out. If the network cable is unplugged, the all ungrayed in about 30 seconds.

The same problem occurs every time I bring the unit out of standby.

If the network cable is unplugged and then the unit is brought out of standby, these items are also grayed out, but they ungray in about 30 seconds to a minute. They never seem to become enabled if the network is plugged in.

Maybe it's related to cable? I'm using a rather old and long length of Cat5. If I unplug it until things ungray, then I can use internet radio on the network fine. But putting the unit to sleep breaks all that again. Seems like a startup bug to me. I'll have to try some Cat6 when I get a hold of a length long enough for this run.

Exact the problem !
You encouter the same bug and it seems its a startup bug out of standby.
Pulling the cable or leaving the receiver with Network Control active is the only way to get it to connect.
I tried 4 different UTP cables, CAT5 CAT5e CAT6 and a cable without any numbers, but no luck.
Hope you can find a working solution, but dont hope to much.......

And if i am not mistaken when you have no network control active, the unit will put a internet radiostation on stop when you select an other source, and then when you go back to NET/USB it will stay on "connecting" for ever and ever.

Please mail this to Onkyo support, i have a Integra 70.2 (3008 is the same) but had a TX NR708 a few weeks ago and that unit had the same connecting problem.
Had a Marantz 7005 to test, and on the same cable and same router NO problems, it connected to vTuner everytime after standby without any problems......
post #561 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Just tested the 5008 with an LG BD390 player and get the same results. Once the movie starts, the Onkyo switches to "All Channel Stereo" mode and there is no sound. Anybody else have a similar issue? Are you able to play TRUEHD or DTS-HD content in bitstream or passthrough mode?

Can anyone confirm this issue? I'll get my unit this week, would be p**** off when it can not play DTS HD.
post #562 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare1 View Post

Can anyone confirm this issue? I'll get my unit this week, would be p**** off when it can not play DTS HD.

I'm no expert yet, but a couple things to check based on what I've read...

Are you hooked up with HDMI? Did you select dolby THX as the sound mode on the receiver? I think the audio setup for the BD/DVD input might also help, it's under setup in the main menu, if I recall. Does it have an auto setting? This may be breaking things. Does the LG player have a setting for type of output audio?

Quote:

Exact the problem !
You encouter the same bug and it seems its a startup bug out of standby.
Pulling the cable or leaving the receiver with Network Control active is the only way to get it to connect.
I tried 4 different UTP cables, CAT5 CAT5e CAT6 and a cable without any numbers, but no luck.
Hope you can find a working solution, but dont hope to much.......
Please mail this to Onkyo support, ...

I've mailed them just now. I plan on calling them tonight as well. I am also trying to get one of their HD Radio docks (UP-HT1) to work and it seems to have similar issues to the network and usb. Plugged in to the universal connector and it seems to not be visible at all. Selecting PORT shows 'not compatible' (or something similar) and then switches to 'All channel stereo'. But the '>' seems to do nothing, as do the other controls mentioned in the manual related to controlling the HD radio box. Maybe the unit is dead, or maybe the dock connector isn't enabling like the net/usb weren't. I don't know yet.
post #563 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Are you hooked up with HDMI? Did you select dolby THX as the sound mode on the receiver? I think the audio setup for the BD/DVD input might also help, it's under setup in the main menu, if I recall. Does it have an auto setting? This may be breaking things. Does the LG player have a setting for type of output audio?

Yes, hooked up via HDMI. Tried several cables. I've tried two different Blu-Ray players (a Samsung and an LG). Neither worked except if set to PCM. Also tested both players on a different Onkyo (508 I believe) and TRUEHD and DTS-HD worked great. It almost seems as if the 5008 I have doesn't understand the incoming signal . . .
post #564 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Yes, hooked up via HDMI. Tried several cables. I've tried two different Blu-Ray players (a Samsung and an LG). Neither worked except if set to PCM. Also tested both players on a different Onkyo (508 I believe) and TRUEHD and DTS-HD worked great. It almost seems as if the 5008 I have doesn't understand the incoming signal . . .

Great I hope it is a samsung/LG issue, but most likely not
post #565 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Just had the pleasure of speaking with Onkyo Customer Support. It's clear why everybody complains about their customer service: just plain awful. The rep on the phone (Mark) says that he's made the 5008 work with TRUEHD and DTS-HD, although for the life of me I couldn't get him to get out of his chair and try it in the lab. I've ordered a replacement unit, let's hope it helps.
post #566 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Just had the pleasure of speaking with Onkyo Customer Support. It's clear why everybody complains about their customer service: just plain awful. The rep on the phone (Mark) says that he's made the 5008 work with TRUEHD and DTS-HD, although for the life of me I couldn't get him to get out of his chair and try it in the lab. I've ordered a replacement unit, let's hope it helps.

How's their wait time to call in? Did he say what player he used? I'm eyeing up a couple of the Onkyo players to try out.
post #567 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:

How's their wait time to call in? Did he say what player he used? I'm eyeing up a couple of the Onkyo players to try out.

< 5 minutes. No.
post #568 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM

Okay guys, well I asked to trade-in my Pioneer SC-37 and get the Onkyo TX-NR3008 instead. I should receive the unit anytime next week.

So I hope I did a good choice in exchanging the Pio for the Onkyo. The Onkyo was actualy the one I had initialy purchased at the beginning of September, but it never made it to my door as it had to be shipped back to Onkyo due to the faulty firmware bug.

Now that the firmware update was released, I hope everything is fine with the 3008?

I'm reading that some of you are having trouble bitstreaming HD codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) to your Onkyo 5008 units? Did anyone experience this with 3008 receivers??

Also, I know the Onkyos run hotter than my Pioneer's ICE amps.

If my unit is on a shelf, with less than half an inch breathing space on top (open on both sides though), would that be bad for the Onkyo? There about 1/5th of the left top side that is open to air and after, the top shelf starts, blocking about 4/5ths of the receiver's top part (1/2 inch breathing room).

Because my Pioneer runs cool, and there are big venting slots on both sides as well as on the top. The Onkyo units seem to have very tiny vents on the sides that do not cover the whole surface. Most of the vents seem to be located on the top of the Onkyo receivers...
post #569 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

Okay guys, well I asked to trade-in my Pioneer SC-37 and get the Onkyo TX-NR3008 instead. I should receive the unit anytime next week.

So I hope I did a good choice in exchanging the Pio for the Onkyo. The Onkyo was actualy the one I had initialy purchased at the beginning of September, but it never made it to my door as it had to be shipped back to Onkyo due to the faulty firmware bug.

Now that the firmware update was released, I hope everything is fine with the 3008?

I'm reading that some of you are having trouble bitstreaming HD codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) to your Onkyo 5008 units? Did anyone experience this with 3008 receivers??

Also, I know the Onkyos run hotter than my Pioneer's ICE amps.

If my unit is on a shelf, with less than half an inch breathing space on top (open on both sides though), would that be bad for the Onkyo? There about 1/5th of the left top side that is open to air and after, the top shelf starts, blocking about 4/5ths of the receiver's top part (1/2 inch breathing room).

Because my Pioneer runs cool, and there are big venting slots on both sides as well as on the top. The Onkyo units seem to have very tiny vents on the sides that do not cover the whole surface. Most of the vents seem to be located on the top of the Onkyo receivers...

your shelf sounds less than ideal in terms of heat for the 3008.
post #570 of 8671 Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

I have a Sony BD (BD-S570) player I hooked it up and ran it... and at first the Integra I had previously to the 5008 didn't see TrueHD or DTS-HD... I had to set the Sony player to BD AUDIO MIX, OFF... Not sure about your players or why they are responding this way. I have no problems with the Sony. I know your problems are isolated as my 5008 has given me no decoding problems...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page