2Likes

post #631 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

It all depends on the size of the room. Generally if you have a smaller room, 5.1 is good. I have read a 5.1 can easily beat a poorly setup 7.1.

cool, thanks for the info... any suggestions on the type of speakers?

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been seriously considering upgrading my TX-SR608 and have been looking at the 3008, but as I said in an earlier post, it will not fit into my TV stand. But I have been having second thoughts that I might be looking at the wrong model.

Here is what I need:
As much AVR watts/channel as possible that I will actually notice
Capable of running an external amp/pre-outs
Has all the latest video processing and codecs - that actually WORK.
I want Audyssey to EQ my sub (Rythmik F15) - My 608 does not do that and I am really not all that interested in REW, AntiMode, etc... I will not be upgading to duals because I have no more room.
I want the OSD for the menus

Not interested in 3D particularly, but would be nice I guess.
Not interested in networking functions really since my TV and PS3 and HTPC all do that, BUT I really, really wish to be able to update the AVR firmware without having to take the unit in to have it done.

The reason I was looking at the 3008 was primarily its power, pre outs and XT32 which would/should EQ my sub without need for another EQ program or device as well as the easy firmware updates.

So is there another model that would better suit my needs/wants?

Too many toys
post #633 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde8965 View Post

The reason I was looking at the 3008 was primarily its power, pre outs and XT32 which would/should EQ my sub without need for another EQ program or device as well as the easy firmware updates.

It certainly EQ's the sub. It's kind of entertaining to hear the sub doing the 'ping' sounds during the Audyssey measurement on the 3008.
post #634 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post

cool, thanks for the info... any suggestions on the type of speakers?

It depends on a bunch of things. What's your budget for 5.1? What % of the time do you listen to music/movies/games? Do you like floor standing for the L/R? Is your room too small where floor standing would be an overkill?

Satellite speaker systems can sound good as long as you have a sub with it. I am biased to Paradigm speakers though I do own 1 pair of Mirage OMD-5 for my rears. But whatever speaker you think you may like based on specs and price, you really should listen to them first. Buying speakers is like buying wine. Everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good to their ears.

post #635 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:

It depends on a bunch of things. What's your budget for 5.1? What % of the time do you listen to music/movies/games? Do you like floor standing for the L/R? Is your room too small where floor standing would be an overkill?

Satellite speaker systems can sound good as long as you have a sub with it. I am biased to Paradigm speakers though I do own 1 pair of Mirage OMD-5 for my rears. But whatever speaker you think you may like based on specs and price, you really should listen to them first. Buying speakers is like buying wine. Everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good to their ears.

main purpose will be to watch sports and movies.
i haven't set a budget, i dont want to say 2500$, cause i'd be willing to go to 3500$ if it make sense

i found a a set taht caught my attention, will have to go see how they sound first
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1179

i think the room would be good for floor standing, but also on wall

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #636 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post

main purpose will be to watch sports and movies.
i haven't set a budget, i dont want to say 2500$, cause i'd be willing to go to 3500$ if it make sense

i found a a set taht caught my attention, will have to go see how they sound first
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1179

i think the room would be good for floor standing, but also on wall

I am a big fan of floor standing (I mean any speaker not a shelf speaker) as my L/R. You seem to have a good budget set aside to get a nice set of 5.1 speakers. The company you linked is a good one for speakers. But don't exclude any other ones that may catch your eye. One thing I found is buying speakers is as bad as buying a house or a car. I love Paradigm they tend to run more expensive but to me I love the sound and I have had my current speakers over 14 years and still work like the first day I bought them. Check out the Monitor line, though if you listen to the Studio line (the step up) you will want them like me .

One thing I recommend is whatever speaker system you pick and if watching movies is important to you, make sure you are happy with the center speaker's movie dialogue. 60%+ of a movie's dialogue is from the center channel. Nothing worse than spending money on a setup and find out when you get home the center isn't very clear and you miss most of they are saying. So make sure you can demo some movies so you can be happy with the center channel.

Depending on your room, I could see front heights or wides being a benefit as you like to watch sports as it will make you feel like you are in the stadium (assuming you watch it in HDTV). If you decide to expand to 7.1, remember for the front heights/wides they should be from the same speaker family as your LCR for seamless sound.

Hope this helps and happy hunting!

post #637 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 10:10 AM

I thought the front USB port supported an iphone or ipod rather than needing to buy a dock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

I'm generally happy, although I'm not as thrilled as I might like with the 3008. Onkyo support has been pretty good. I emailed again about the network startup issues this week, and had a reply the next day that they didn't have an update but that they were working on it and the fix should be out soon in another firmware change.

I don't find my 3008 runs extra hot. It does get warm, but I'm also not running 7.1 or high volumes. Audyessy seems to work well here with the latest firmware.

The only thing that's starting to bug me is all the dock options you'll need to purchase for some things. HD Radio, Sirius, iPod, (and no XM support) all $50-$100 additional each.

post #638 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I am a big fan of floor standing (I mean any speaker not a shelf speaker) as my L/R. You seem to have a good budget set aside to get a nice set of 5.1 speakers. The company you linked is a good one for speakers. But don't exclude any other ones that may catch your eye. One thing I found is buying speakers is as bad as buying a house or a car. I love Paradigm they tend to run more expensive but to me I love the sound and I have had my current speakers over 14 years and still work like the first day I bought them. Check out the Monitor line, though if you listen to the Studio line (the step up) you will want them like me .

One thing I recommend is whatever speaker system you pick and if watching movies is important to you, make sure you are happy with the center speaker's movie dialogue. 60%+ of a movie's dialogue is from the center channel. Nothing worse than spending money on a setup and find out when you get home the center isn't very clear and you miss most of they are saying. So make sure you can demo some movies so you can be happy with the center channel.

Depending on your room, I could see front heights or wides being a benefit as you like to watch sports as it will make you feel like you are in the stadium (assuming you watch it in HDTV). If you decide to expand to 7.1, remember for the front heights/wides they should be from the same speaker family as your LCR for seamless sound.

Hope this helps and happy hunting!

i dont have my heart set on B&W or any speaker brand, im doing a bit of research, i think i'm going to go with either B&W, Paradigm or Kef, if any other brands u suggest please feel free to let me know, so i can research it. I will probably bring my matrix reloaded blu-ray to the store to test it out, i figured with all that action, it would be a good way to test out the system. If you suggest any other movie please let me know, i might have it in my librarie.

i will probably go with on wall, haven't made the final decision yet, i will have a better idea this weekend

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #639 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 AM

This thread went the wrong direction as soon as "Any suggestion on Speakers" was mentioned....This is the Onkyo 5008/3008 support thread, can we please stay on topic and move the speaker talk to the speaker forum...

Thanks!
post #640 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeoutleh View Post

I thought the front USB port supported an iphone or ipod rather than needing to buy a dock?

Yes, that is true, you can hook up an iPod/iPhone through the standard apple usb cable to the 3008 usb port, or through their iPod dock.
post #641 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Is any one using PASSIVE subs on the 3008 or 5008 ?
If yes, how did you adjust the xover ?

Thx.......
post #642 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Is any one using PASSIVE subs on the 3008 or 5008 ?
If yes, how did you adjust the xover ?

Thx.......

I'd do it the same as a sub with an amplifier. You just mean a sub that uses the receiver for the amplifier, right? Turn any crossover on the subwoofer to it's highest frequency or off, then run Audyessy. Follow the Audyessy guide on this forum. Just skip past the 70dB adjustment, since the amp will have to adjust output level instead of an external gain.
post #643 of 8671 Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Is it typical of an HDMI receiver to flicker upon initial playing of a DVD? The 5008 is my first HDMI receiver so I dont know if this flickering I get for a few frames at very beginning of All types DVD's loaded is normal? Is there a stabilization that needs to occur with this type of connection? Once this little flickering crap is over the movie plays fine... However I did have a goofy thing happen tonight with karate kid 3 being choppy and all I did was pause the movie a second- go into 5008 menu to look at a few things- hit play again and the choppy picture went away? freaky huh?

I think the 5008 I have may need to be exchanged or another FW update might be in order....
post #644 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 03:24 AM

That doesn't sound normal, although I do sometimes see a transition between preview clips, the start of the movie, and the main movie file (they can be in different resolutions.) I wouldn't say I ever see flicker. You can email Onkyo support and see what they say. Have you checked your HDMI cables?

I do see the video drop out completely for a second or so once in a while when switching inputs on the 3008. It actually shows mostly gray snow with small color pixels. It's almost like they are reseting the video processor and the output is disabled, but not black. Certainly looks like another small bug.
post #645 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

I'd do it the same as a sub with an amplifier. You just mean a sub that uses the receiver for the amplifier, right? Turn any crossover on the subwoofer to it's highest frequency or off, then run Audyessy. Follow the Audyessy guide on this forum. Just skip past the 70dB adjustment, since the amp will have to adjust output level instead of an external gain.

Yes, i mean that the sub uses the receiver.
I have a Integra 70.2 and this receiver has the build in option to use passive subs on the front wide, left and right output.
Front high is also out of the speaker setup when i select the use of passive subs.
Thats no problem for me........

As (pioneer) states in the manul of the subs that they need "outside" Xover settings (the speaker case itself has no low filter) i guess when i run Audyssey also the Xover for the subs will be set.

Or will it be better to use also a subwoofer filter, between te receiver and the speaker ?

Thx
post #646 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnapper View Post

Is it typical of an HDMI receiver to flicker upon initial playing of a DVD? The 5008 is my first HDMI receiver so I dont know if this flickering I get for a few frames at very beginning of All types DVD's loaded is normal? Is there a stabilization that needs to occur with this type of connection? Once this little flickering crap is over the movie plays fine... However I did have a goofy thing happen tonight with karate kid 3 being choppy and all I did was pause the movie a second- go into 5008 menu to look at a few things- hit play again and the choppy picture went away? freaky huh?

I think the 5008 I have may need to be exchanged or another FW update might be in order....

That is funny that karate kid 3 is "choppy". Maybe it is just the Karate Kid. Do other movies produce the same result? I have a couple of movies that have similar hicuups. I have learned that not all media is created equal!
post #647 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post

That is funny that karate kid 3 is "choppy". Maybe it is just the Karate Kid. Do other movies produce the same result? I have a couple of movies that have similar hicuups. I have learned that not all media is created equal!

Was only until I paused it... After noticing it was unusually choppy, I paused and went into my 5008 menu to check my block noise and filter settings. I changed nothing and just exited back the Blu-Ray. Resumed play and everything was fine, so I'm not sure if something got out of synch or what..

No biggy for now, if it gets worse or more goofy I will post here.

Ps. Nothing was choppy about the sound only some excessive picture stutter...
post #648 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

It's really surprising how little talk there has been about XT32. There was quite a bit of talk about the borked initial firmware, but not hardly anything since the revised firmware release. As an 805 owner looking to possibly upgrade to a 3008/5008, I'm really curious how XT32 compares to XT. And more specifically how it compares in dual subwoofer setups. Thanks.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #649 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

It's really surprising how little talk there has been about XT32. There was quite a bit of talk about the borked initial firmware, but not hardly anything since the revised firmware release. As an 805 owner looking to possibly upgrade to a 3008/5008, I'm really curious how XT32 compares to XT. And more specifically how it compares in dual subwoofer setups. Thanks.

I agree with you, it would be also nice to see if the firmware update also corrected the center channel problems people were talking about (like if the sound came from a tin can, or very far away)...

I'm still waiting on the delivery of my Onkyo TX-NR3008 unit (I'm in Montreal, Canada, and there's apparently shipping delays to Canada...
post #650 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

The X32 comments in the 4311 thread started iffy, but may have been caused by user error. Now they have turned to very nice comments on the results.
post #651 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Anyone have any experience with this receive and 4 ohm speakers?

I want to get the 5008 but I don't want to jump the gun if it's not going to drive 4ohm loads.

I'm getting conflicting information on this topic. Also does anyone know the output power at 4 ohms? I hear it get's cut in half.

Thanks
post #652 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Sound & Vision magazine has a review of the 5007 and I'm sure the amp design is probably close to the same if not exactly. They have the Audio test reports.
post #653 of 8671 Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was leaning toward one of these:
Marantz SR7005 vs. Onkyo TX-NR5008 vs. Integra DTR 70.2 vs. Integra DTR 80.2
until I learned that the Sony STR-DA4600ES (I believe) has internet switching w/4 ports.
This is something new to me. I would really like to have this to get read of several internet cable connections to my modem/wireless router.

Does anyone know if there are other receivers out there that have 4 or more built in internet ports with switching ability?

How does Sony ES series (never owned a Sony receiver) stack up against the Marantz, Onkyo, and Integra, when it comes to video quality/upscaling, audio quality on music/movies, and stability (little or at least fewer problems with bugs)?
Thanks!!
post #654 of 8671 Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Do you know what an ethernet switch is? Your level of excitement seems so out of proportion to how useful a feature it is that I just can't help but think you might have a wrong impression of what ethernet switching is. Pardon me if I am mistaken. In this case it basically means you can plug your incoming ethernet into the back of the Sony receiver and then plug your other devices into the back of the receiver, and they'll all have simultaneous Internet access. It's sort of like having four power outlets on the back of your receiver for you to connect a lamp, or other devices. A useless feature nearly. It should NOT be a determiner of whether you buy it or not.
post #655 of 8671 Old 10-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Ethernet switch just splits a hardwire ethernet connection into 4 or more connections. They cost $5-10 and are tiny boxes. Agree that it shouldnt matter when deciding to purchase a high quality receiver. Standard Sony marketing ploy to add more "features" to an otherwise mediocre component.
post #656 of 8671 Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 AM

Well, I have now owned 2 3008s, and here's my assessment. From a pure sound quality standpoint after running xt32, I have to say I am extremely impressed. My previous unit was a Yamaha RXV3200, and I used my Radioshack SPL to level match. The XT32 is awesome. Sound like I haven't heard before.

Now to the great downside for me. I have to say I actually think this unit lacks power. I am running 7 channels - 4 flr standing speakers (Mains are Rockets, surrounds are Snell E-IV). Admittedly the Rockets are power hungry, but they have done just fine in my previous setups. I make the power lacking statement based on not 1 but 2 A/B comparisons. When I listen to SAT music on Directv (this isn't a critical listening source for me) I can turn up the Onkyo to Max power and still talk to someone standing next to me. Now, I don't think I have ever turned up any receiver to max on any source. My Yamaha RXV3200 never ran out of power on this source, and more recently I had my Panasonic XR-57 hooked up on this setup, and it didn't run out of room either.
On SACD, DVD-A, it's a bit of a different story and has a much improved performance with more room.
This is actually the reason I have owned 2 units, because I simply couldn't believe that a much lower rated Yamaha, and a Panasonic that is 1/10 the weight,1/2 it's size, and a fraction of the price could out muscle this supposed "Powerhouse".
I have to say, it's left me wondering what to do. It's hard for me to stomach a top of the line unit not at least equalling the power of my previous units.
post #657 of 8671 Old 10-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post

Well, I have now owned 2 3008s, and here's my assessment. From a pure sound quality standpoint after running xt32, I have to say I am extremely impressed. My previous unit was a Yamaha RXV3200, and I used my Radioshack SPL to level match. The XT32 is awesome. Sound like I haven't heard before.

Now to the great downside for me. I have to say I actually think this unit lacks power. I am running 7 channels - 4 flr standing speakers (Mains are Rockets, surrounds are Snell E-IV). Admittedly the Rockets are power hungry, but they have done just fine in my previous setups. I make the power lacking statement based on not 1 but 2 A/B comparisons. When I listen to SAT music on Directv (this isn't a critical listening source for me) I can turn up the Onkyo to Max power and still talk to someone standing next to me. Now, I don't think I have ever turned up any receiver to max on any source. My Yamaha RXV3200 never ran out of power on this source, and more recently I had my Panasonic XR-57 hooked up on this setup, and it didn't run out of room either.
On SACD, DVD-A, it's a bit of a different story and has a much improved performance with more room.
This is actually the reason I have owned 2 units, because I simply couldn't believe that a much lower rated Yamaha, and a Panasonic that is 1/10 the weight,1/2 it's size, and a fraction of the price could out muscle this supposed "Powerhouse".
I have to say, it's left me wondering what to do. It's hard for me to stomach a top of the line unit not at least equalling the power of my previous units.

I think something is wrong with your input settings, or the load is so low it sets the receiver into a current limiting state. I have never heard of an AVR that would not sound overdriven and distorted so much that you would instantly want to turn it down, if the volume were set to it's maximum.
post #658 of 8671 Old 10-10-2010, 07:33 AM

I couldn't agree more. I have never dreamed of maxing out volume on any source. The problem is, I can't figure out how any input setting would be the problem, since I A/B'd two units with the exact same settings - if I'm not adjusting settings, but just changing the coax out from one AVR to another how could this be?
The unit sounds superb in other applications, I just can't figure this one out.
post #659 of 8671 Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 AM

From what I understand by reading your thread it's the SAT box only that seems to be the problem?....Other sources play fine correct? So is there any volume limiters in the SAT box? I have 7.1 coming out of my 5008, 9.1 using NAD amp for front highs, Reference level on any source is ridiculous. Very clean but very loud, I'm wondering if the 3008 is having an issue with your SAT box?

I would say we can OMIT your speaker set up since you have had good volume levels with other head units...
post #660 of 8671 Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post

I couldn't agree more. I have never dreamed of maxing out volume on any source. The problem is, I can't figure out how any input setting would be the problem, since I A/B'd two units with the exact same settings - if I'm not adjusting settings, but just changing the coax out from one AVR to another how could this be?
The unit sounds superb in other applications, I just can't figure this one out.

Do you have intellevolume set to increase the input level? Did you setup you modes for that input based on the type of digital signal? What were your selections? What digital mode is the output of the Sat box? Does the cable box have an audio setup screen and what are it' settings?

On my Onkyo 805 and FIOS cable box connected by hdmi, the non-HD channels sound much lower and...well just bad compared to the HD stuff. I would not say that I could crank the non-HD channels without eventually cringing though.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page