post #6601 of 8674 Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepr View Post

I think we are in violent agreement. For whatever reason, folks who read through the arguments, make there own choices on the credibility of those behind the arguments and can make their buying decisions.

My background is math, science and technology. e.g. I will never understand how anyone chooses to believe "creation science" over evolution. (please do not post anymore on that insane argument). That does not mean that science does not err at times. However, in my old age, I have come to accept that people believe what they believe and it is not my role in life to dissuade or save anyone from their freely made decisions. At times I can only express my understanding on how the universe works and leave it at that.

Please go on expressing your fact based "counterpoints". You are doing these folks a great service and I and I am sure others appreciate it.

I believe it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in creation. Though math, science and technology do play a part in the evolution of our avr's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 8674 Old 07-10-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Another factor that seems to have gotten lost...... The OP said he was going to use the 3008/5008 as a pre/pro further reducing any sound difference between the two in that configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123
Hello again

I have last question to all onkyo's owners...I can buy 3008 model for 1200₤ i think this bargain...model 5008 costs 2400₤ it is some reasons that its worth to spent 1200₤ more for model 5008 ???

Like i told before i will use the receiver only as a preamp cause I've already order Emotiva XPA-3

Pls can somebody answer me as soon as possible cause this what offer me 3008 for 1200₤ have only 1 in stock...

Thank you so much...

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #6603 of 8674 Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was in a buying decision between the 3008 and 5008. I went with the 5008 for the simple fact it has a toroidal transformer. I figured I wouldn't be adding an external amp in the near future and I would be running at least 7.1. I wanted the power supply to have extra headroom. The 5008 is rated 12.8 max A draw/1160 W. The 3008 is rated 11.6 A/1060 W. Maybe this extra headroom is helping his speakers sound better to him? I figured if I had external amps already, I would of gotten the 3008.

The easiest way for a person to decide between the 3008/5008 is simple. If you have or are planning to add an external amp, get the 3008.

post #6604 of 8674 Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

post #6605 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnliz View Post

Hey guys I started having a weird issue this week and was wondering if any of you have seen it. I've had my 5008 for about 6 months with no issues, then suddenly this week I've had a problem where it comes on okay and I can tell the system is getting audio signal, but I don't get any sound. To fix it I have to unplug the power for 30 seconds or so and plug it back in and everything is fine. I know it's getting a signal because the DD indicator comes on.

The only thing I changed around this time was adding my XBOX to the component GAME input and my WII to the component CBL/SAT input. Those inputs also have my PS3 on GAME via HDMI and DirecTV on CBL/SAT via HDMI which were there before the issues.

Any thoughts?

Doug

Check to make absolutely sure you didn't short any of the speaker wires. The Onkyos have a very good protection circuit built in.

Depending on how you're making the speaker wire connections, sometimes, while moving things around (the avr or wires), you can short the speaker wires out. The moment the avr attempts to send a signal to the speaker with the shorted wires, the audio output cuts off to prevent damage. Audio is only restored after unplugging the unit.

If the avr produces audio for a while after unplugging and replugging, and then cuts out, it indicates that the short is probably in the surrounds. If audio cuts out the moment you try to get any sound, then it's likely one of the mains.

Max

P.S. I discovered the above the hard way. I was using Monster Cable's EZ terminations or whatever they're called (the kind that screw on the end of zip wire. I was using the ones that end in a short length of braided gold cable). Pushed the 5008 back in the shelf after adding new connections and it caused the Wide speaker wires to touch and short. Changed all terminations to bananas to prevent it happening again.
post #6606 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepr View Post

I think we are in violent agreement. For whatever reason, folks who read through the arguments, make there own choices on the credibility of those behind the arguments and can make their buying decisions.

My background is math, science and technology. e.g. I will never understand how anyone chooses to believe "creation science" over evolution. (please do not post anymore on that insane argument). That does not mean that science does not err at times. However, in my old age, I have come to accept that people believe what they believe and it is not my role in life to dissuade or save anyone from their freely made decisions. At times I can only express my understanding on how the universe works and leave it at that.

Please go on expressing your fact based "counterpoints". You are doing these folks a great service and I and I am sure others appreciate it.

As you say, we are in violent agreement Even where there is no basis in fact for a conclusion someone may reach, the placebo effect is still a valid effect. If they are happy with their system and feel they have spent their money well, then that is all that matters *to them*. I was amused a few moments ago when reading on a Blu-ray player thread that someone is totally convinced that he can hear a difference between two bitstreamed outputs to his AVR. He says there is "better separation, more depth, a more dynamic sound". It's like saying if I unzip a document on my laptop, it has different words in it compared with unzipping it on my desktop machine. But he is happy to "hear" the differences and convinced that his money was well spent on the "upgrade". So be it.

Kind regards,

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6607 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post

Another factor that seems to have gotten lost...... The OP said he was going to use the 3008/5008 as a pre/pro further reducing any sound difference between the two in that configuration.

Very good point. I missed that. In that case, he will definitely be better off buying the 3008 and saving some cash towards something else in his system.

He could even -- and this is a really, really radical suggestion -- buy some DVDs, CDs or Blu-rays with the money he saves!!

Kind regards,

Keith

post #6608 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 03:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

I was in a buying decision between the 3008 and 5008. I went with the 5008 for the simple fact it has a toroidal transformer. I figured I wouldn't be adding an external amp in the near future and I would be running at least 7.1. I wanted the power supply to have extra headroom. The 5008 is rated 12.8 max A draw/1160 W. The 3008 is rated 11.6 A/1060 W. Maybe this extra headroom is helping his speakers sound better to him? I figured if I had external amps already, I would of gotten the 3008.

The easiest way for a person to decide between the 3008/5008 is simple. If you have or are planning to add an external amp, get the 3008.

I made the same sort of decision when I bought my 5007 too. I have no way of knowing if it sounds any better than the 3007 I also considered, but I was happy knowing I had bought the best I could at the time. Later, I added external amplification to help with some difficult-to-drive speakers (now sold) and if I had known I was going to go that way, I would have bought the 3007, as you suggest.

It's all a personal choice at the end of the day - all I am saying to the OP is that there is not going to be any "night and day" difference between the 3008 and the 5008 assuming he is not running them flat out in a huge room with difficult speakers. If he is getting external amps, then the decision is totally simple: get the 3008.

Kind regards,

Keith

post #6609 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:

From what I'm told, this is not accurate.
post #6610 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 AM

I just got back my reciever from repair. I hook everything up and try to open the front flap and to my dismay it has been broken. The front flap is skewed and won't close all the way and is very hard to open and close. So I took a little closer look at the receiver and noticed the top and sides have had some of the paint scratched off. Then I look underneath the receiver and notice that some of the screws weren't even screwed in.

Now I have to find out what to do as I don't really want to be out of a receiver for another month and have to pay for shipping this behemoth again.

To all others that have had to send their units in for repair check very carefully when you get them back for things they could have broken.
post #6611 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn107 View Post

To all others that have had to send their units in for repair check very carefully when you get them back for things they could have broken.

Which is also why it's a great idea to take a good set of photos before sending it in also..

Sorry for your mess...... what a pain.
post #6612 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Check to make absolutely sure you didn't short any of the speaker wires. The Onkyos have a very good protection circuit built in.

Depending on how you're making the speaker wire connections, sometimes, while moving things around (the avr or wires), you can short the speaker wires out. The moment the avr attempts to send a signal to the speaker with the shorted wires, the audio output cuts off to prevent damage. Audio is only restored after unplugging the unit.

If the avr produces audio for a while after unplugging and replugging, and then cuts out, it indicates that the short is probably in the surrounds. If audio cuts out the moment you try to get any sound, then it's likely one of the mains.

Max

P.S. I discovered the above the hard way. I was using Monster Cable's EZ terminations or whatever they're called (the kind that screw on the end of zip wire. I was using the ones that end in a short length of braided gold cable). Pushed the 5008 back in the shelf after adding new connections and it caused the Wide speaker wires to touch and short. Changed all terminations to bananas to prevent it happening again.

Last night I decided to move the XBOX to the BD/DVD input and I haven't had the issue since. I'm thinking it was a problem with an HDMI (PS3) and Optical (XBOX) input being on the same set of inputs. Before I changed it last night the sound cut out on me twice in about an hour and it did cut out while using the XBOX. After moving it, no issues at all. Thanks for the tip though, I'll check the speaker connections tonight just to make sure none are loose.

Doug
post #6613 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnliz View Post

Last night I decided to move the XBOX to the BD/DVD input and I haven't had the issue since. I'm thinking it was a problem with an HDMI (PS3) and Optical (XBOX) input being on the same set of inputs. Before I changed it last night the sound cut out on me twice in about an hour and it did cut out while using the XBOX. After moving it, no issues at all. Thanks for the tip though, I'll check the speaker connections tonight just to make sure none are loose.

Doug

If I am reading this correctly, along with your first post, you had/have two different sources(ps3 by hdmi/xbox by component) connected to the same input, I believe you said the GAME input. Then you also connected your WII by component to the CBL/SAT input to which you already had your Directv connected by hdmi. If true you need to unhook the WII like you already did your xbox and plug it into an unused input. You had two different sources going into a single input in two different places, so when you would select GAME it was looking for video from your ps3 through the hdmi but then another video source from the component xbox hookup at the same time, which it shouldn't have to do. Same for when selecting CBL/SAT, it will look for video from Directv through the hdmi and also the WII through the component hookup. You want each individual source to be hooked up to it's own individual input, which you can rename in the menu to make things easier. I would take a guess that that may have been causing your problems.
post #6614 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

From what I'm told, this is not accurate.

Not accurate as to the street date, or not accurate in regards to the speculated specs? (Or both?)

I visit this NR5008 thread regularly, reading you guys debate the pros and cons, improvements and failures, of the 5008 and 3008. You may have noticed I pop in every now and again to openly wonder about the 5009 - I'm hoping to upgrade my Integra DTR-8.8 this holiday and the wait on a formal announcement is driving me nuts!
post #6615 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMneon View Post

Not accurate as to the street date, or not accurate in regards to the speculated specs? (Or both?)

I visit this NR5008 thread regularly, reading you guys debate the pros and cons, improvements and failures, of the 5008 and 3008. You may have noticed I pop in every now and again to openly wonder about the 5009 - I'm hoping to upgrade my Integra DTR-8.8 this holiday and the wait on a formal announcement is driving me nuts!

Mainly the street date. It seems like the 3009/5009/5509 are going to be slightly later than originally intended, but not THAT much later. The spec talk on that link isn't really anything new or worth taking note of. There is one upgrade that hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet, which could be very interesting if it goes ahead.
post #6616 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Mainly the street date. It seems like the 3009/5009/5509 are going to be slightly later than originally intended, but not THAT much later. The spec talk on that link isn't really anything new or worth taking note of. There is one upgrade that hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet, which could be very interesting if it goes ahead.

Might it be 11.2 speaker/subwoofer setup without an external amplifier? (Please, pretty please say yes.)
post #6617 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn107 View Post

I just got back my reciever from repair. I hook everything up and try to open the front flap and to my dismay it has been broken. The front flap is skewed and won't close all the way and is very hard to open and close. So I took a little closer look at the receiver and noticed the top and sides have had some of the paint scratched off. Then I look underneath the receiver and notice that some of the screws weren't even screwed in.

Now I have to find out what to do as I don't really want to be out of a receiver for another month and have to pay for shipping this behemoth again.

Ooh, if this happens to me I will go right into orbit. Where did you send it?
post #6618 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMneon View Post

Might it be 11.2 speaker/subwoofer setup without an external amplifier? (Please, pretty please say yes.)

There was a rumour posted about the 5009 having 11 Amps onboard, but I wouldn't set your hopes on that until something official is announced.
post #6619 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There was a rumour posted about the 5009 having 11 Amps onboard, but I wouldn't set your hopes on that until something official is announced.

I doubt they would put 11 amps in the AVR. I hope they don't too! The unit is already at my limit for being big and heavy.
post #6620 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM

I severely doubt they would put 11 amps into a receiver that already is known for heating issues lol. There is a lot of speculation about the 3009/5009, though I suspect the 11.2 (with external amps) is wishful thinking.

post #6621 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 PM

I don't think that they will go with 11 internal Amps either, it was just a rumour that appeared on this forum weeks ago.
post #6622 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I don't think that they will go with 11 internal Amps either, it was just a rumour that appeared on this forum weeks ago.

Yeah sometimes rumors/wishful thinking melt into one. I also have read that the 3008/5008 was going to get a firmware that you didn't have to unplug stuff if you switched between rears and fronts/wides.

I have mix feelings about the 5009 having 11.2 capable. On one hand it would be neat for it to be like the 4311. On the other hand, I bought the 5008 and would have extreme difficulty justifying getting another receiver less than a year after I bought one. I can live without 4k up-scaling since I don't have a no programming/media to support it, or a 100 inch 4k screen that would only be able to start seeing the improvement.

post #6623 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Well, I appreciate your collective thoughts regarding 11.2 and the 5009.

Not going the route of 11.2 would make sense for Onkyo as so many of the 5008/3008 units have been over-heating; by far this appears to be the biggest complaint against these systems from what I can gather. I feel for those who have experienced this and haven't been remedied.

We know nothing until the 5009 is officially announced, of course. But it makes me wonder - if the 5009 were to have 11.2 capability, but rely on external amplication to do so, does Onkyo/Integra even have a potential companion 11.2 amplifier out on the market, or would it be mix-and-match time?
post #6624 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

There is one upgrade that hasn't been mentioned anywhere yet, which could be very interesting if it goes ahead.

Do tell, do tell!!
post #6625 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Hello,
Considering that there has not even been a Product Announcement yet for any of these Models, it would not shock me if that was in the ball park. I hope that I am wrong as I am most interested to see the specs.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #6626 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

Yeah sometimes rumors/wishful thinking melt into one. I also have read that the 3008/5008 was going to get a firmware that you didn't have to unplug stuff if you switched between rears and fronts/wides.

I have mix feelings about the 5009 having 11.2 capable. On one hand it would be neat for it to be like the 4311. On the other hand, I bought the 5008 and would have extreme difficulty justifying getting another receiver less than a year after I bought one. I can live without 4k up-scaling since I don't have a no programming/media to support it, or a 100 inch 4k screen that would only be able to start seeing the improvement.

My 5008 has been sitting on the dining table since it came back from repair. I was planning on selling it to buy the 5009. Now I'm thinking I should live with the short comings of 9.2 and not being able to switch from front to rear as originally promised by Onkyo. Sure wish the specs would come out soon, cuz I'm thinking the 5009 may not be worth buying.
post #6627 of 8674 Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My guess is that the real game changer will be DTS NEO X.

If it turns out to be much superior than the DSX and Dolby IIz then the upgrade from 3008/5008 to 3009/5009 becomes automatic for people using 7.1/9.1 setups.

3008/5008 owners will be compelled to buy the 3009/5009 if they knew that the newer models were giving out much better performance with Fronts Heights and Front Wides.

It probably won't matter to people with 5.1 setups too much.

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->
post #6628 of 8674 Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Very good point. I missed that. In that case, he will definitely be better off buying the 3008 and saving some cash towards something else in his system.

He could even -- and this is a really, really radical suggestion -- buy some DVDs, CDs or Blu-rays with the money he saves!!

Kind regards,

Keith

I bought the 3008...i think the is no point to spending 600 punds more...and the XPA-3 is on the way as well ...
post #6629 of 8674 Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Congrats... its must be a liberating feeling to be able to make a decision...!!!

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->
post #6630 of 8674 Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Congrats... its must be a liberating feeling to be able to make a decision...!!!

and what about You still have dillema between 3008 - 5008 ??
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page