New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #721 of 8670 Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the tip. After further review these amps perform really good, they just don't play well with my kappa 6.1's . So I have been testing the cv dx9'swith the onkyo and I was surprised how well it handled them.So the kappa's will be connected to the m 1.5t . When bi amping , the back surround preamps are useless, the system won't let you configure them at all,probaly the same for bridging to. Now back to testing and getting stuff put back in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8670 Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 PM

Liked: 11
Guys, I really need an answer, no one seems to reply to this...

Does anyone here with an Onkyo TX-NR3008 unit see the digital "snow" in these scenarios:
- when switching HDMI sources
- when watching a blu-ray movie, then entering the receiver's setup menu to adjust stuff, then switching back to the blu-ray movie, I see digital snow and it takes a couple of seconds for the picture to reappear

I wrote to Onkyo about this, and they weren't aware of that specific issue, but I'm getting mad, because they weren't aware of the firmware bug that caused the center channel to not play right at the beginning of these units being sold in August (Audyssey issue)... So I don't rely on Onkyo directly anymore...

I want to know if anyone here with the 3008 has experienced something similar to me so I don't freak out thinking I have a defective unit...

THANKS
post #723 of 8670 Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM

I have a technical question for you guys.

I have 4-ohm speakers (Totem Acoustic Model-1 Signature) that are being driven by my Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver.

I made sure to select "4-ohm" setting in the receiver menu.

1) I've been reading that the 4-ohm setting on the receiver actually reduces power output (some kind of protection mechanism)... Is this true?

2) Should I select 6-8 ohm instead??? Would that give more power to my speakers, or potentialy damage them???

3) If I switch from the 4-ohm setting to the 6-8 ohm, will that screw up all my Audyssey calibration?

Thanks!
post #724 of 8670 Old 10-16-2010, 11:03 PM

Liked: 10
I have had no problems with my 3008 when switching HDMI sources, or going back to blu-ray after entering the setup menu. I have only had mine for 3 day, but everything seems to be working great.
post #725 of 8670 Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

1) I've been reading that the 4-ohm setting on the receiver actually reduces power output (some kind of protection mechanism)... Is this true?

2) Should I select 6-8 ohm instead??? Would that give more power to my speakers, or potentialy damage them???

3) If I switch from the 4-ohm setting to the 6-8 ohm, will that screw up all my Audyssey calibration?

1. True
2. Yes, set it to 6/8ohm. No it won't damage the speakers. Yes it will allow the amplification to have more dynamic headroom for more demanding audio passages.

3. not in the least.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #726 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezmond View Post

What is that? What the f--- is that?
post #727 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 05:10 AM

OrangeVee, I have had my 3008 since 9/2, and it has never had any issues with digital snow. Unlike your unit that shows snow while switching HDMI sources, my unit shows black screen for a second or two.
post #728 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 06:52 AM

As I mentioned before, I do see snow on my unit, but it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I just tried going from BD to setup and back a couple times. I only saw black for about a second each time. Does it happen every time for you? What choices in the menu are you adjusting? I tried a couple times to reproduce it this morning, but I don't see it now.

I only have one HDMI input hooked up, so I don't have other inputs to switch back and forth with.
post #729 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

As I mentioned before, I do see snow on my unit, but it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I only saw black for about a second each time. Does it happen every time for you? What choices in the menu are you adjusting?

The digital snow appears for a second before the screen going black and everything is fine after. It's just annoying...

I didn't adjust anything in regards to video in the receiver menu... I basically only ran Audyssey and adjusted sound options.

I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-BDT350 player hooked up through HDMI and a HDMI HD cable box as well. Both are inputs to the receiver, and one HDMI output straight to my Panasonic VT25 plasma.
post #730 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Does anyone here with an Onkyo TX-NR3008 unit see the digital "snow" in these scenarios:
- when watching a blu-ray movie, then entering the receiver's setup menu to adjust stuff, then switching back to the blu-ray movie, I see digital snow and it takes a couple of seconds for the picture to reappear

I want to know if anyone here with the 3008 has experienced something similar to me so I don't freak out thinking I have a defective unit...

THANKS

Same here, but not just the above scenarios. To me it happens when switching from any source to any source (for example switch from PS3 HDMI to Satellite Composite and back) and everytime when returning from Setup. I don't recall this happening out of the box, only after updating the firmware, but I'm not positive...
post #731 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Well guys I am joining you with the purchase today of a 5008 from new egg had a really nice deal and as you know are authorized. I had a 5007 wanted the height and wides so I sold it and tried the denon 4311 (nice unit) but a little too lacking in some quality build. Using mainly as a prepro would have gone with a 5508 but the 5008 price today on newegg was too good to pass. Hope I like it as much as the 5007. I have a 11.2 system now. Loved the subeq for both my subs on the 4311 hope with audx320n the onky it has the same (does it). The only issue i ever has with a reciever was with the 5007 had a bad capacitor HDMI output 2 had replaced and firmware fixed any others. I do use pandora and internet radio. looking forward to it.

post #732 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Well guys I am joining you with the purchase today of a 5008 from new egg had a really nice deal and as you know are authorized. I had a 5007 wanted the height and wides so I sold it and tried the denon 4311 (nice unit) but a little too lacking in some quality build. Using mainly as a prepro would have gone with a 5508 but the 5008 price today on newegg was too good to pass. Hope I like it as much as the 5007. I have a 11.2 system now. Loved the subeq for both my subs on the 4311 hope with audx320n the onky it has the same (does it). The only issue i ever has with a reciever was with the 5007 had a bad capacitor HDMI output 2 had replaced and firmware fixed any others. I do use pandora and internet radio. looking forward to it.

Congrats on the purchase, but from what I understand the 3008/5008 will only allow 9.2. You can't run both wides and heights without disabling the surround back speakers.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #733 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I have a 11.2 system now. Loved the subeq for both my subs on the 4311 hope with audx320n the onky it has the same (does it). The only issue i ever has with a reciever was with the 5007 had a bad capacitor HDMI output 2 had replaced and firmware fixed any others. I do use pandora and internet radio. looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post

Congrats on the purchase, but from what I understand the 3008/5008 will only allow 9.2. You can't run both wides and heights without disabling the surround back speakers.

I won't comment on the build quality assumption, but as Chad stated your settling on 9.2 as opposed to 11.2.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #734 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I won't comment on the build quality assumption, but as Chad stated your settling on 9.2 as opposed to 11.2.

Willie

I realize what both of you are saying. But I think a very realistic compromise can be had in a suedo 11.2 mode. I am using all external amplification at the present time a 2channel luxman for the heights and two sony es 5 channel amps for the rest. To get all 11 running effectivlely I will use the surround speaker posts on the receiver for running the back speakers but in surround and the pre out l and r surround for the side surrounds. This will give me four active surround channels in the surround and back but not the true backs which are matrixed anyway. and than runn the height and wide and the rest off the other amps. On the onkyos the speaker posts and preouts are always active.
William.

post #735 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I realize what both of you are saying. But I think a very realistic compromise can be had in a suedo 11.2 mode. I am using all external amplification at the present time a 2channel luxman for the heights and two sony es 5 channel amps for the rest. To get all 11 running effectivlely I will use the surround speaker posts on the receiver for running the back speakers but in surround and the pre out l and r surround for the side surrounds. This will give me four active surround channels in the surround and back but not the true backs which are matrixed anyway. and than runn the height and wide and the rest off the other amps. On the onkyos the speaker posts and preouts are always active.
William.

William,

While the speaker posts and preouts are always active you are still limited to 9.2 at any given time. I assume by your purchase that you are ok with this compromise.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #736 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

William.

As previously stated, you can only run Height + Wide at the expense of surround back. Even is you put an amp on surround back pre-out, it does not matter, the 5008 will not output any signal to them with W+H . You are limited to what you have selected with the SP Layout button, and 11 channels is not an option.

With that said, wides before height is what I'm hearing.
post #737 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is it possible to have headphones (in my case they'll be Sennheiser wireless) permanently receiving a stereo signal from the receiver, without using one of the zones? I'd like to keep my 9.2 setup in-tact and allow for a hearing-impaired friend to come over once in a while and fully enjoy a movie.
post #738 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker_madness View Post

Just bought a Onkyo TX-NR5008 off of Newegg $1799!.... one do hope the firm ware update works, smile.

I am not familiar with new egg policy but are you within thirty days this weekend they are $100.00 less.

post #739 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Is it possible to have headphones (in my case they'll be Sennheiser wireless) permanently receiving a stereo signal from the receiver, without using one of the zones? I'd like to keep my 9.2 setup in-tact and allow for a hearing-impaired friend to come over once in a while and fully enjoy a movie.

I'm not sure if there is a setting to change this, but my 3008 disabled the speakers as soon as I plugged in a set of headphones.
post #740 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

As previously stated, you can only run Height + Wide at the expense of surround back. Even is you put an amp on surround back pre-out, it does not matter, the 5008 will not output any signal to them with W+H . You are limited to what you have selected with the SP Layout button, and 11 channels is not an option.

With that said, wides before height is what I'm hearing.

guys I realize that what I have been saying I am doubling up on the reg surround speakers so the surrounds will be duplicated and I believe audessey will adjust the levels. and the effect will be similar to 11.2 I realize I will have actually 9.2 but the 2 extra are duplicates. I will let you know how it sounds compared to the dennon 4311. As far as the comment on build the Onky0 foo7 and 08 compared to the light weight denon 4311 is superior I have had experience with both. I realize the onks are not perfect but neither are most of the newer branded receivers built like they used to. The big plus in both is the akudessey eqxt32 and the subeq. I also could not pass up on the offer I got for my denon and the price newegg had on the 5008 this weekend.

post #741 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

guys I realize that what I have been saying I am doubling up on the reg surround speakers so the surrounds will be duplicated and I believe audessey will adjust the levels. and the effect will be similar to 11.2 I realize I will have actually 9.2 but the 2 extra are duplicates. I will let you know how it sounds compared to the dennon 4311. As far as the comment on build the Onky0 foo7 and 08 compared to the light weight denon 4311 is superior I have had experience with both. I realize the onks are not perfect but neither are most of the newer branded receivers built like they used to. The big plus in both is the akudessey eqxt32 and the subeq. I also could not pass up on the offer I got for my denon and the price newegg had on the 5008 this weekend.

Now I see, your running 4 speakers as Surround back. Let us know how it works out!
post #742 of 8670 Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

Now I see, your running 4 speakers as Surround back. Let us know how it works out!

Yes thats it I will let you know should be set by thurs or fri. I do hope it works well I tried something similar with the front heights and wides on the5007 but thats another story.

post #743 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As far as the comment on build the Onky0 foo7 and 08 compared to the light weight denon 4311 is superior I have had experience with both. I realize the onks are not perfect but neither are most of the newer branded receivers built like they used to. The big plus in both is the akudessey eqxt32 and the subeq. I also could not pass up on the offer I got for my denon and the price newegg had on the 5008 this weekend.

william06,

I personally don't subscribe to the idea that weight equals better build quality, but I hope the Onkyo works out for you.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #744 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the new subEQ on the 5008 is different than the 5007. i am sure that you have heard that the new EQ will ping the subs and allow you to bring the spl to 75 db before starting the normal processing. unlike the 5007 after the subs are volume leveled they are no longer ping separately during the measuring phase, the 5007 would ping each sub separately during each microphone position the 5008 will ping both subs simultaneously on each subsequent microphone position
post #745 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

william06,

I personally don't subscribe to the idea that weight equals better build quality, but I hope the Onkyo works out for you.

Willie

Neither do I but When conecting the HDMI and PReouts on the dennon They slipped in easilly and when taking it down today they fit so loosley that they almost fell out. On the onkyo 5007 you really had to work to attach and dissengage them the fits and connections are much better. I do agree weight has nothing to do with the onkyo but the amp transformers etc. Everyone is entitled to theyre own opinions. Both have theyre share of network and HDMI issues. I just know in the long run I missed the Onkyo. Just my personal opinion.

post #746 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

the new subEQ on the 5008 is different than the 5007. i am sure that you have heard that the new EQ will ping the subs and allow you to bring the spl to 75 db before starting the normal processing. unlike the 5007 after the subs are volume leveled they are no longer ping separately during the measuring phase, the 5007 would ping each sub separately during each microphone position the 5008 will ping both subs simultaneously on each subsequent microphone position

Yes thanks I do know that. I just had the denon 4311 which I sold and it had the same thing. The whole audessey eqxt32 to me is a great improvement over the reg audessey. Thanks appreciate the heads up I had hoped the onkyo had that feature.

post #747 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

william06,

Willie

The major reason the Onkyo weighs more is it has 4 independent transformers, including a tororidal one. One could say this is what makes the Onkyo run hotter, but you could also say this is what makes it build quality better. It all boils down to what a person wants from or expects from a receiver.

post #748 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constp View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangevee

THANKS

Same here, but not just the above scenarios. To me it happens when switching from any source to any source (for example switch from PS3 HDMI to Satellite Composite and back) and everytime when returning from Setup. I don't recall this happening out of the box, only after updating the firmware, but I'm not positive...

I've sent an email to Onkyo last night, so far no reply. I'll post here if I get anything.
post #749 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
That additional weight comes from a hefty power supply and thus makes technically sense, not only for show aspects.

Quote:

william06,

Willie

post #750 of 8670 Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I do not subscribe to any one brand. Build quality as such today is not what it was in mass market electronics. Just look at the differences in todays pioneer elite and ten years ago. But I was quite shocked at the difference in the Denon 4311. It seems the money today is put more into the electronics than anything else. Even comparing it to the denon 4810 which is more comparable to the Onkyo. I do nto suggest that build uality is just related to weight but to metal against plastic better speaker posts, Knobs that do not feel like if you touch them they will fall off. Even the metal casing on some of todays pieces is very thin and flexable. Now as you go up the ladder some of the better houses do really shine against the others with better build and less bells and whistles. But you must be able and willing to pay for this. I might have gone for a denon 4810 but the problems I have read about with the network boards failing and having to send it out to replace scared me off. Also the lack of multi eq32.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page