New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 255 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7621 of 8667 Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Maybe this should be in a different thread, because I am speaking on Audyssey in this idea.

I have read just everything that should be turned off during running aud.

I suppose if I can hear it, then the mic can hear it?

I do know that sometimes we do not pay attention to certain audio sounds, like the florescent lights.

Well, to make a long story short.

I was sitting infront of my stand that hold all of my equipment. I then noticed the Harddrive for my DirecTV DVR making noises.

Does anyone think that could cause some effect when we run audyssesy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7622 of 8667 Old 01-04-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi guys,

I m having some 'lip sync' problems. I run my content with a HTPC through a Nvidia GT460 card with the latest Nvidia drivers. My software player is Media Player Classic Home Cinema with madVR as renderer. My display device is a JVC RS25 projector.

Sometimes I have lip sync problems immediately when I start playing a movie. I ve noticed that I can solve this by going to the Onkyo setup menu and quit it (no things done in the menu!).

Any thoughts?
post #7623 of 8667 Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

Thanks for the quick reply Keith. That's too bad as it would be cool to see the graphs on your display right before & after calibration.

I am really trying to see if I have any nulls / dead spots in my subwoofer response. Any ideas on what the best / quickest / cheapest way to do that is?

OmniMic is the easiest measuring gear to use. REW is more comprehensive and the s/w is free but you need a mic and a sound card. Check out the OmniMic and REW threads for more info and have a look at their own websites. Measuring is the only way to see what you want to see.

If you just want an idea - put on a source that has some good steady bass, or use a test disc, and walk around the room. In the places the bass disappears, you have a null.

For optimum sub location without measuring gear, google "sub crawl".
post #7624 of 8667 Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

Maybe this should be in a different thread, because I am speaking on Audyssey in this idea.

I have read just everything that should be turned off during running aud.

I suppose if I can hear it, then the mic can hear it?

I do know that sometimes we do not pay attention to certain audio sounds, like the florescent lights.

Well, to make a long story short.

I was sitting infront of my stand that hold all of my equipment. I then noticed the Harddrive for my DirecTV DVR making noises.

Does anyone think that could cause some effect when we run audyssesy?

The mic "hears" a lot more than you hear, especially at low frequencies. You probably hear it as well but simply don't notice it.
I would turn everything electrical off.
post #7625 of 8667 Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

The mic "hears" a lot more than you hear, especially at low frequencies. You probably hear it as well but simply don't notice it.
I would turn everything electrical off.

+1. And sometimes there are background sounds we are so used to hearing that we don't notice they are there. Unless someone lives in a very very quiet location, it's even a good idea to do the calibration at night when it's generally quieter. I know Audyssey is meant to alert the user to background noise of it is likely to interfere with the measurements, or to raise the level of the chirps to overcome it, but I still think it's a good idea to get the noise floor of the room as low as possible before running the calibration.
post #7626 of 8667 Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

OmniMic is the easiest measuring gear to use. REW is more comprehensive and the s/w is free but you need a mic and a sound card. Check out the OmniMic and REW threads for more info and have a look at their own websites. Measuring is the only way to see what you want to see.

If you just want an idea - put on a source that has some good steady bass, or use a test disc, and walk around the room. In the places the bass disappears, you have a null.

For optimum sub location without measuring gear, google "sub crawl".

Thanks Keith for your help. I will look into your suggestions and report back.

BTW, I have done the "sub crawl" and it doesn't appear as though I have any nulls but it sure would be nice to see the frequency response on paper to see how flat the response is. I appreciate your support.
post #7627 of 8667 Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Keith for your help. I will look into your suggestions and report back.

BTW, I have done the "sub crawl" and it doesn't appear as though I have any nulls but it sure would be nice to see the frequency response on paper to see how flat the response is. I appreciate your support.

No nulls? Then you have an exceptional room, and Audyssey loves exceptional rooms! How about peaks then? Do you have any of those? I agree that nothing beats some sort of measuring tool for knowing precisely what is going on. I use OmniMic because I'm not really a computer 'techie' and OM is real easy to set up and use. But a lot of people use REW and swear by it. Either would do what you are looking for.
post #7628 of 8667 Old 01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply Keith. That's too bad as it would be cool to see the graphs on your display right before & after calibration.

I am really trying to see if I have any nulls / dead spots in my subwoofer response. Any ideas on what the best / quickest / cheapest way to do that is?

Quote:

No nulls? Then you have an exceptional room, and Audyssey loves exceptional rooms! How about peaks then? Do you have any of those? I agree that nothing beats some sort of measuring tool for knowing precisely what is going on. I use OmniMic because I'm not really a computer 'techie' and OM is real easy to set up and use. But a lot of people use REW and swear by it. Either would do what you are looking for.

Keith, can you alter Omnimic's FR range? One of the reasons I went with REW vs Omnimic (aside from having the ETC tool) is because I could adjust REW's sweeps to go from 5Hz to 20kHz to see just how deep the bass goes in my room (7-8Hz) vs the standard 16Hz cutoff I've seen on every Omnimic graph.

ModestHT,
As Keith mentioned, a measuring solution is the only way to know for sure what your sound is like in your room.

The standard choices are XTZ or Omnimic ($300 each) or REW (program is free, but you need a soundcard. If you have a good computer soundcard, you're set for that. You also need an SPL meter or microphone plus the cable to hook those up to the soundcard and a loopback cable to calibrate the card).

The advantage of XTZ and Omnimic are simplicity. Buy the kit, install software, hook up included mic to computer, and output to receiver, begin measuring in 15-20 minutes.

The advantages of REW:
Potentially cheaper, but not by much if you must buy all the necessary equipment (eg.):
External soundcard with phantom power for the mic - as low as $50 new
Dayton EMM-6 microphone from Cross-Spectrum Labs - $80
Mic cable - ~$20
Loopback cable - $10
Cables from soundcard to receiver - ~$20

REW is also the more complete/powerful compared to Omnimic and XTZ. The ETC allows you to find first reflection points and determine if they need acoustic treatment (absorption or diffusion). The downsides to REW are the learning curve (setting up the program and settings and calibrating your soundcard with the loopback cable) and needing to get the separate pieces on your own as opposed to buying an all-in-one solution.

REW users like to point out that there is really only 1 extra cable to plug in (the loopback cable for soundcard calibration) with REW vs Omnimic or XTZ but you also need to configure everything initially. Once that's done though, both are equally easy to use thereafter.

Max
post #7629 of 8667 Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM

Liked: 12
I'm having some issues but I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something or not. I just recently got my 5008 so I'm still trying to figure things out.

Just recently audio files (both from USB and my linux based minidlna server) songs are not auto advancing. When one song is done it just sit there until I mess with the remote for a while (even after a few presses of the remote it stalls out for a bit). I've also noticed the time progress indicator does not show elapsed time. I just sits at the beginning and does not progress despite the music playing.

As I said, I'm not sure if I messed up a setting somewhere or I've got issues. I'm on the latest firmware according to the check for update screen.

Thanks!
post #7630 of 8667 Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Hopefully someone can help. I've recently set up a new 3008 with 9.2 for Dolby Pro Logic IIz. I have the high speakers connected and it all worked after start up. I think it stopped when I set up 2nd Room, which I had a lot of trouble getting to work. When I reset for IIz it wasn't working - IIz was not available in the sound selection fields and in gain and speaker setup. I reset the receiver, made sure all 2nd room settings were not "on. Since then I have not been able to utilize IIz. I have updated the firmware. Another curious this is that when I push the speaker layout button on the remote the receiver readout says "not available". Has anyone else come across either problem or have ideas how to fix them?
post #7631 of 8667 Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcdennis View Post

Hopefully someone can help. I've recently set up a new 3008 with 9.2 for Dolby Pro Logic IIz. I have the high speakers connected and it all worked after start up. I think it stopped when I set up 2nd Room, which I had a lot of trouble getting to work. When I reset for IIz it wasn't working - IIz was not available in the sound selection fields and in gain and speaker setup. I reset the receiver, made sure all 2nd room settings were not "on. Since then I have not been able to utilize IIz. I have updated the firmware. Another curious this is that when I push the speaker layout button on the remote the receiver readout says "not available". Has anyone else come across either problem or have ideas how to fix them?

Your unit has 9 amplifiers and all of them are in use in your main room. You can't therefore have another zone running and get 9 channels in your main room - you have no amps for 11 channels at the same time. Surround back share Zone 3 speaker outlets and front wide share Zone 2 speaker outlets. You could buy a separate two channel amp for your Zone 2 and use that - see the user manual for details (under heading Multizone).

If you no longer want to use Zones, I would suggest removing all speaker connections and remaking them, being careful to wire them in accordance with the user manual and then do a factory reset of the unit. You will then need to run Audyssey again and this time your 9.2 setup will work.

RESET Onkyo to Factory

To reset the AV receiver to its factory defaults, turn it on and, while holding down the [VCR/DVR] button, press the [ON/STANDBY] button. "Clear" will appear on the display and the AV receiver will enter Standby mode.
post #7632 of 8667 Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Agreed, but if I run 7.2 with the second zone on which the receiver is capable of, then switch second zone off, I should be able to run 9.2 again in the main room. The receiver seems stuck in 7.2. Wiring is all ok and I am running zone 2 with a second receiver, per manual instructions. Zone 2 seems to mess the receiver up. Looks like I will take it apart and put it back together. Thanks Keith
post #7633 of 8667 Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcdennis View Post

Agreed, but if I run 7.2 with the second zone on which the receiver is capable of, then switch second zone off, I should be able to run 9.2 again in the main room. The receiver seems stuck in 7.2. Wiring is all ok and I am running zone 2 with a second receiver, per manual instructions. Zone 2 seems to mess the receiver up. Looks like I will take it apart and put it back together. Thanks Keith

You said you were running 9.2, thus using all available channels.

Ah - but you didn't say (I think) that you were using an additional amp for Zone 2. In that case, then yes, you should be able to have 9.2 in Zone 1 and two channels in Zone 2. You will have connected the Zone 2 amp using the Zone 2 pre-out L/R on the AVR, connected to an analogue input on the Zone 2 amp, yes?

And in Speaker Settings you have set Zone 2 to ACTIVE? EDIT - see reply to Deano below.

And you're not bi-amping or anything like that?

It's odd then. Settings the Zones in these AVRs always seems very complicated to me with bits and pieces scattered about various menus. If your wiring is all correct and you have done a factory re-set, all I can suggest is that you open a pdf version of the manual, search for 'Zone' and double check that everything is as it should be. I'm sure it will be a simple solution once it's been found.
post #7634 of 8667 Old 01-16-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

You said you were running 9.2, thus using all available channels.

Ah - but you didn't say (I think) that you were using an additional amp for Zone 2. In that case, then yes, you should be able to have 9.2 in Zone 1 and two channels in Zone 2. You will have connected the Zone 2 amp using the Zone 2 pre-out L/R on the AVR, connected to an analogue input on the Zone 2 amp, yes?

And in Speaker Settings you have set Zone 2 to ACTIVE?

And you're not bi-amping or anything like that?

It's odd then. Settings the Zones in these AVRs always seems very complicated to me with bits and pieces scattered about various menus. If your wiring is all correct and you have done a factory re-set, all I can suggest is that you open a pdf version of the manual, search for 'Zone' and double check that everything is as it should be. I'm sure it will be a simple solution once it's been found.

If you are using an amp for your second zone, then wouldn't you have zone 2 set to OFF or Inactive? If the receiver thinks you have zone 2 or 3 speakers connected to those terminals, I could see it possibly turning off the PLIIz height option.....
post #7635 of 8667 Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

If you are using an amp for your second zone, then wouldn't you have zone 2 set to OFF or Inactive? If the receiver thinks you have zone 2 or 3 speakers connected to those terminals, I could see it possibly turning off the PLIIz height option.....

My bad - you are quite right. Maybe this is the problem the OP has? I was sure that the speaker settings needed to be set to Active but on checking the manual, this is only when you have the Z2 speakers connected directly to the AVR. It's not terribly clear but presumably this means they need to be set to Inactive when using powered Z2. If the OP was under the same misapprehension that may be the problem. Good spot. I've never used Zones personally so it's all theoretical from here
post #7636 of 8667 Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hi, will it be possible to use a Bi-pole speaker for surround left and right on the back wall ?
There is no option to use surrounds on the left and right side next to the seats, only on the back wall, 2 meters behind the seats.
The to be used Bi-pole is an Infinity C255ES and can be set so the left speaker and right speaker do left and right, but in this case surround, and not surround back........

Thx
post #7637 of 8667 Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Hi, will it be possible to use a Bi-pole speaker for surround left and right on the back wall ?
There is no option to use surrounds on the left and right side next to the seats, only on the back wall, 2 meters behind the seats.
The to be used Bi-pole is an Infinity C255ES and can be set so the left speaker and right speaker do left and right, but in this case surround, and not surround back........

Thx

Do you mean you will be placing your (side) surrounds where the rear surrounds would normally go? So in effect your (side) surrounds will be 2m behind the seating/listening position?

If so, then I think that will give a very poor surround experience. What you will get is a front soundstage and a rear soundstage with you sitting in the middle of both. It doesn't matter if the speakers are dipole or direct radiating - you won't get a proper surround sound result.

If it really is your only option then you have no choice but to try it and see what it sounds like. Can you not use ceiling mounts to get the surrounds where they should be? A pic of your room would be useful.
post #7638 of 8667 Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Do you mean you will be placing your (side) surrounds where the rear surrounds would normally go? So in effect your (side) surrounds will be 2m behind the seating/listening position?

If so, then I think that will give a very poor surround experience. What you will get is a front soundstage and a rear soundstage with you sitting in the middle of both. It doesn't matter if the speakers are dipole or direct radiating - you won't get a proper surround sound result.

If it really is your only option then you have no choice but to try it and see what it sounds like. Can you not use ceiling mounts to get the surrounds where they should be? A pic of your room would be useful.

Hi Keith,

Problem at the moment is that i do not have surround speakers at the moment
:-(

Think for the moment its better to look for a audio mode that will give a good (or acceptible) result with just fronts and center speaker.
If i play a BD and the receiver will decode TrueHD or DTS HD Master, will the receiver direct the surround channels to my fronts as i have only 3.1 selected in the speaker setup menu ?

If thats the case i will be happy with that.
And what would a good audio mode be for a 5.1 to 3.1 down grade ?
Seems all the audio tricks are based on up grades and not down grades.......

Thx.
post #7639 of 8667 Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hi Keith,

Problem at the moment is that i do not have surround speakers at the moment
:-(

Do you mean you have surround back speakers but no surround speakers, or that you have neither - just a front speaker + sub setup?

Quote:

Think for the moment its better to look for a audio mode that will give a good (or acceptible) result with just fronts and center speaker.

You can get a good sound from just those speakers but obviously not any sort of 'surround sound'.

Quote:

If i play a BD and the receiver will decode TrueHD or DTS HD Master, will the receiver direct the surround channels to my fronts as i have only 3.1 selected in the speaker setup menu ?

Those codecs will happily down mix to stereo (front L and R) but I can't see how they would down mix to R, L and C. I may be wrong. If you engage a two channel mode, then TrueHD and MA will down mix to two channels and will incorporate the surround channel information. Nothing will be 'lost'. But if you want to bring the centre channel into play, what DSP are you using to do that? If it's any DSP that requires 5 satellite speakers and there are two missing, then that information will presumably just be lost.

Quote:

If thats the case i will be happy with that.
And what would a good audio mode be for a 5.1 to 3.1 down grade ?

None that I know of. You may have to use a stereo/two channel mode and make do with a phantom centre channel image.
post #7640 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 07:09 AM
eXa

Liked: 19
Hi, i just got myself the 3008 used (6-7months old), its very impressive.
Only i have 1 issue with it.... after running Audyssey its so dam bright, on music atleast (i havent tested more than 10-15min of Avatar).
Sibilance get quite anoying and cymbals also seeme to get alot of attention.
I like what audyssey does with the rest of the sound, well after i turned up the sub 4+db
Sometimes i have to stand up and check that the rears aint playing on music because the sound is so immersive(they are not). I do not like anything else than 2.1 for stereo music.
So even with to much high frequence i still prefer eq on rather than of(i just cant turn up the volume as much as without).

I have been pondering this issue a couple of days now, and it got me thinking... the mic. That black pad covering the mic opening, is that ment to be so flat and compact as it seemes? not fluffy? Im wondering of that pad aint letting highs through wich makes audyssey turn up the highs way to much?
Im thinking 2 possible solution to test but im not shure... remove it all togheter or just punch a small hole in the middle of it with a needle.

Or will that just mess up everything?
post #7641 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXa View Post

Only i have 1 issue with it.... after running Audyssey its so dam bright, on music atleast (i havent tested more than 10-15min of Avatar).
I like what audyssey does with the rest of the sound, well after i turned up the sub 4+db
Sometimes i have to stand up and check that the rears aint playing on music because the sound is so immersive(they are not). I do not like anything else than 2.1 for stereo music.
So even with to much high frequence i still prefer eq on rather than of(i just cant turn up the volume as much as without).

I have been pondering this issue a couple of days now, and it got me thinking... the mic. That black pad covering the mic opening, is that ment to be so flat and compact as it seemes? not fluffy? Im wondering of that pad aint letting highs through wich makes audyssey turn up the highs way to much?
Im thinking 2 possible solution to test but im not shure... remove it all togheter or just punch a small hole in the middle of it with a needle.

Do not touch the mic!!! The problem is almost certainly your audyssey measuring technique and mic placement during measuring. Go over to the Official Audyssey thread and download the SetUp Guide linked to in Post No 1 and read every word and then follow every instruction to the letter even if you don't understand why you are doing so. The Guide has evolved over a long time and has been contributed to by a lot of very experienced Audyssey users.

In fact, here is the link to it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Be sure to read very carefully the parts about where to place the mic, the height of the mic, the orientation of the mic and the absolute necessity to use a mic stand or tripod to hold the mic during measurement.
post #7642 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Are you playing MP3's? What is your audio source? What type of speakers are you using?
post #7643 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 03:38 PM
eXa

Thank you for the link kbarnes701.
Even tho this is my first experience with Audyssey i have read alot on forehand and i also have a printout(came with reciever or previous owner printed it out) taken from Audysseys own fag, showing mic placement. I dont have a proper mic stand but i used the stand for my 400w work light(without the light itself ofc), so its kinda a mic stand(not with boom tho). I removed the table so audyssey dont have to count that in too but work more with the room itself. Anyways, all this is kinda besides the point because it doesnt seeme that Audyssey is doing anything wrong, except choosing the wrong target curve for my liking.
Since last post i have angeled the speakers more so they point directly at the mic, wich also seeme to work slightly better with the room in the high frequencies.
I have also added sound dampening(diy) in the first reflection on the right side since the left side is wide open. And corner traps(diy) in the 2 corners behind me. I ofc reran Audyssey (3. time now)
Mic placement is also correct and was the entire time btw.

After reading about the target curves and thx in the link i testet thx music listening program wich seeme to be more in line with what i want for a target curve, but i cant stand using any of thoose listening modes since adding the back speakers totally messes up the music (why do i want the guitar behind me???).

Watched SW ep IV tonight and for movies it seeme to be fine, its music that gets too bright.

My front speakers and center speaker is some older diy kit designed by a norvegian company, theire called Eltek SH214TC and Eltek S214TC(center) and yes, i do want new speakers
The speakers are a D'appolito configuration with 5 1/4 vifa TC14SG29-12 and Seas SEAS H683 metal dome. My sub is a Kraken 112 (TH with a svs 12.2 driver in it)

I use Spotify premium played from my computer(coax) for music.
Lately its been alot of: Angels&Airwaves, Blink 182, Coheed and Cambria, Dreamtheater, Roger Waters, Pink Floyd, Avenged Sevenfold and more music along thoose lines. (Opeth atm)
post #7644 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you for the link kbarnes701.
Even tho this is my first experience with Audyssey i have read alot on forehand and i also have a printout(came with reciever or previous owner printed it out) taken from Audysseys own fag, showing mic placement.

The Setup Guide is way more comprehensive than Audyssey's own information.

Quote:

I dont have a proper mic stand but i used the stand for my 400w work light(without the light itself ofc), so its kinda a mic stand(not with boom tho).

That may or may not be suitable - I'd need to see a picture of it to be sure. You have to be careful that the stand does not cause reflections for example which can affect the mic's readings. It also needs to be suitably rigid so it doesn't vibrate at all during the Audyssey chirps.

Quote:

I removed the table so audyssey dont have to count that in too but work more with the room itself. Anyways, all this is kinda besides the point because it doesnt seeme that Audyssey is doing anything wrong, except choosing the wrong target curve for my liking.

I think your technique is not perfect. It can take several attempts at first to get a good calibration. Are you sure the mic is at ear height, pointing directly up to the ceiling and is within the boundaries of the front right and left speakers? If the mic is not positioned like that the high frequencies will not be measured correctly and this could explain your result. Also the mic must be at least 2 feet away from any walls and also away from any potential reflecting surfaces, including the backs of any chairs.

Quote:

Since last post i have angeled the speakers more so they point directly at the mic, wich also seeme to work slightly better with the room in the high frequencies.

That is absolutely incorrect and will not yield a proper Audyssey result. The mic MUST be pointing vertically up towards the ceiling.

Quote:

I have also added sound dampening(diy) in the first reflection on the right side since the left side is wide open. And corner traps(diy) in the 2 corners behind me. I ofc reran Audyssey (3. time now)

Treatments are good and will help.

Quote:

Mic placement is also correct and was the entire time btw.

Not if it was pointing towards the speakers. That is incorrect. Please confirm that, apart from that, the mic was positioned as I say above.

Quote:

After reading about the target curves and thx in the link i testet thx music listening program wich seeme to be more in line with what i want for a target curve, but i cant stand using any of thoose listening modes since adding the back speakers totally messes up the music (why do i want the guitar behind me???).

I do not understand. DSP modes have nothing to do with Audyssey. You need to get your Audyssey result right before worrying about DSP modes.

Quote:

Watched SW ep IV tonight and for movies it seeme to be fine, its music that gets too bright.

Are you using Dynamic EQ?

Quote:

My front speakers and center speaker is some older diy kit designed by a norvegian company, theire called Eltek SH214TC and Eltek S214TC(center) and yes, i do want new speakers
The speakers are a D'appolito configuration with 5 1/4 vifa TC14SG29-12 and Seas SEAS H683 metal dome. My sub is a Kraken 112 (TH with a svs 12.2 driver in it)

Regardless of the speakers, Audyssey should not produce high frequencies that sound harsh or too bright.

Quote:

I use Spotify premium played from my computer(coax) for music.
Lately its been alot of: Angels&Airwaves, Blink 182, Coheed and Cambria, Dreamtheater, Roger Waters, Pink Floyd, Avenged Sevenfold and more music along thoose lines. (Opeth atm)

You can't use something like Spotify to evaluate the performance of the system. Use a well recorded DVD or CD.
post #7645 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 PM
eXa

Quote:

The Setup Guide is way more comprehensive than Audyssey's own information.

Yes, ive red it and others, it didnt give me any new information other than some more clarification about Audyssey target curves(wich cant be changed in the onkyo anyways) and some thx stuff.

Quote:

That may or may not be suitable - I'd need to see a picture of it to be sure. You have to be careful that the stand does not cause reflections for example which can affect the mic's readings. It also needs to be suitably rigid so it doesn't vibrate at all during the Audyssey chirps.

almost like this, just a single version without the boom on top. Used both standing in the couch and on the flor infront of the couch(not enough room behind) slightly angled backwards.

Quote:

I think your technique is not perfect. It can take several attempts at first to get a good calibration. Are you sure the mic is at ear height, pointing directly up to the ceiling and is within the boundaries of the front right and left speakers? If the mic is not positioned like that the high frequencies will not be measured correctly and this could explain your result. Also the mic must be at least 2 feet away from any walls and also away from any potential reflecting surfaces, including the backs of any chairs.

I believe its atleast close enough.
Ive done several without any change in the result other than what more dampening and speaker placement has done.
Mic in ear hight(witch matches the tweeter hight too): Check
Pointing straight up: Check
Within speaker boundaries: Check
2 feet away: Check

Quote:

That is absolutely incorrect and will not yield a proper Audyssey result. The mic MUST be pointing vertically up towards the ceiling.

You red it wrong, ive angeled the speakers more inwards pointing directly at the sweetspot, The mic is pointing straight up as its supposed to be.

Quote:

Treatments are good and will help.

Idd

Quote:

Not if it was pointing towards the speakers. That is incorrect. Please confirm that, apart from that, the mic was positioned as I say above.

It aint, its pointed straight up as its supposed to be.

Quote:

I do not understand. DSP modes have nothing to do with Audyssey. You need to get your Audyssey result right before worrying about DSP modes.

It was in regard to this (from your link)
"2. Re-Equalization technologies affect the target curve selection.
a. One component of THX is called Re-EQ, which applies a high frequency shelf cut filter. When listening in THX mode with Re-EQ on, it is recommended to use the Audyssey Flat target curve.
b. Some manufacturers have developed proprietary high frequency roll-off filters with various trade names; Denon's Cinema EQ, for example. It is recommended to disable (turn off) such roll-off features so the Audyssey or Audyssey Reference target curve can operate properly."

PLII thx music seeme to behave something like this, with a little less highs, but it also uses the back channel wich is why i cant just use that mode over plain stereo and call it a day.

Quote:

Are you using Dynamic EQ?

Yes, but ive also tried without

Quote:

Regardless of the speakers, Audyssey should not produce high frequencies that sound harsh or too bright.

I know, but the more info the better, and i want new speakers regardless.

Quote:

You can't use something like Spotify to evaluate the performance of the system. Use a well recorded DVD or CD.

Ofc you can when you have hundreds of hours with daily experience with it, both at home and portable+++
Ogg vorbis 9 is better than Mp3 and 320kbps on ogg vorbis 9 is quite decent, i wont say its like flac because i know it aint but its quite good anyways and its what i know best.
post #7646 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM
eXa

And just to clearify a little:
3008 with Audyssey sounds great. Width and dept and stereo imageing is much better than before, so good i almost belive the back speakers are playing sometimes. The mids is much better with audyssey, and the bass is a magnitude better than before, its not boomy anymore and its integration with the rest is good now. Qsound works perfect too

The only problem is that the treble/highs is so much louder than before, to much for my liking in fact.
To me it sounds more like an inverse THX Re-EQ curve than flat...

Edit: And moving back and forth or side to side doesnt really affect it any...
post #7647 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
eXa

Then i red this wich probably explain why i liked the Thx music better(except for the added back speakers ofc):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2388
post #7648 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It might simply be that you prefer significantly rolled-off high frequencies and so you don't like the closer-to-accurate presentation that you're getting with Audyssey enabled. Not saying that this is definitely the case... but it might be. It has happened occasionally with others. And there's nothing wrong with that... everyone's ears differ. But I'm not aware of any Audyssey adjustments in this area.
post #7649 of 8667 Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM
eXa

Yes, that might be partial true. But if the 3008 actually is correct, that means that my previous reciever (pio vsx 916), my beyerdynamics DT770pro 80ohm, my HiFiMAN (head-direct) RE-0 all roll of at higher frequencies too....

Edit: Coheed and cambria - Far, this one has quite alot of sibilance wich can get problematic if the sound is too bright, its fine even on higher volume on both the DT770 and RE-0 played of my xonar essence STX soundcard but when i turn up the onkyo the sibilance gets too "painful"
post #7650 of 8667 Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Yes, that might be partial true. But if the 3008 actually is correct, that means that my previous reciever (pio vsx 916), my beyerdynamics DT770pro 80ohm, my HiFiMAN (head-direct) RE-0 all roll of at higher frequencies too....

Edit: Coheed and cambria - Far, this one has quite alot of sibilance wich can get problematic if the sound is too bright, its fine even on higher volume on both the DT770 and RE-0 played of my xonar essence STX soundcard but when i turn up the onkyo the sibilance gets too "painful"

In most cases, if the frequency response after Audyssey was at fault, something had screwed up the measuring process, thus Audyssey detected probably some missing highs.
Did you follow the Setup Guide in post #1 of the Audyssey Thread ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page