post #7681 of 8674 Old 01-28-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Yes, I read that and I have asked about how to test if the x008-models are affected as well.
But it is not a secret menu. It is documented in the manual and it was there even for x007-models.

Page 25:

For optimal video performance, THX recommends that video signals pass through the system without upconversion (e.g., component video input through to component video output).
To by-pass video upconversion in the AV receiver, simultaneously press the VCR/DVR and RETURN on the AV receiver.
While continuing to hold down the VCR/DVR, press RETURN to toggle until Skip appears on the display.
Release both buttons.
To use the video upconversion in the AV receiver, repeat the above process until Use appears on the display and release the buttons.

Page 104:

If Monitor Out setting is set to Analog, press VCR/DVR and RETURN on the AV receiver at the same time. Select Skip in the VideoProcessor setting on the display. To reset back to the original setting, press the same button at the same time. If you select Use, the AV receiver will output video signals from the video processor.

I just found out about this 'skip' procedure described on pg 25 of the manual. I'm using HDMI thought that the 'through' setting sent video signals through totally unprocessed, but that's apparantly not true. Having done the 'skip' procedure I see a modest improvement in BD and HD input--which was quite good already--but a DRAMATIC improvement in SD input (which I don't use often).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7682 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 AM
eXa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaru5 View Post

Always measure Audyssey with the furniture in the same place as it will be when you will use your Onkyo for normal operations. The table is part of your room and should therefore be included in the Audyssey calculations. With the table in place the reflections in your room will be totally different.
Please measure Audyssey again on all measuring points (that's more than 3) during night time when it is really quiet. Shut down everything that makes noise, like AC, heating installations, fans, computers, refridgerators, etc. Also turn off all lights (they can also make noise especially dimmers). Make sure you are not in the room when measuring and try to place the mic on the stand in such a way that vibrations cannot be passed on to the mic via the floor/stand combination. I myself fabricated a construction using rubber bands where the mic would hang in free from any direct contact (this might be overdoing it though).
You did right in pointing the speakers towards the main listening position, but don't change their position during or after the measurement (also not in between measuring points).

Except for the table i did do all that. Only thin im not quite shure about is my "diy" stand, so i will be getting a mic stand with boom later on. I am also planning on getting a proper mic and soundcard so i can meassure the problem.
Btw, i did listen to music before i put the table back (and after ofc) and the amount of treble didnt change.
post #7683 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by valero_r View Post

I've got a 3008, and I had a problem with no sound on any source. Video was present, but no audio. I had no sound from my UP-A1, cable box (HDMI), PS3 (HDMI), BD (HDMI), and PC (Optical). I couldn't even access iRadio (no audio & video). I noticed that putting the 3008 in standby and turning it back on sometimes made it work, but today, I could get any sound at all.

I did some searching on here, and saw that somebody had a similar problem about a year ago. Like the other person, pulling the power plug for a couple seconds brought back sound. I've never had this issue with this receiver, but I had similar symptoms with my old 807. The problem occurred more frequently over time until I wasn't able to get any audio no matter what I did. IIRC, there was an issue with the HDMI board or something like that. Is this a common issue witht he 3008? I don't think the problem is heat related since there is plenty of air space, and the problem happens at start up.

On a side note, I thought we could access some sort of on-screen menu while using the UP-A1. I get sound if use the play button on my iPhone 4s and 3G, but no video/menu. I don't use it often, so I could be mistaken.

Thank you for any help/insight you can provide on the issue.

The problem is getting worse and more frequent. Doing a factory reset didn't fix it last time. The only thing that eventually restores audio is turning the receiver off and back on. It may work after 2 tries, or as many as 20. Unless somebody knows a fix for the issue, I may have to ship the receiver to a regional Onkyo facility for repairs. Thanks.
post #7684 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

The problem is getting worse and more frequent. Doing a factory reset didn't fix it last time. The only thing that eventually restores audio is turning the receiver off and back on. It may work after 2 tries, or as many as 20. Unless somebody knows a fix for the issue, I may have to ship the receiver to a regional Onkyo facility for repairs. Thanks.

I am assuming you are on the latest firmware?... there was one issued recently. Or even if you can reload the current firmware via USB may be a good idea; if the receiver allows it. And just for the heck of it, disconnect your ipod dock and see if the problem persists. I thought I had read somewhere that somebody had an issue with one that caused their receiver to act up... Also make sure you have HDMI control and HDMI audio out turned off.
post #7685 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was on the second to latest firmware when the problem started, and I have just recently updated. The problem existed under both firmware versions. Also, HDMI control is off. I've had the receiver since Aug 2010, with the same components hooked up, and this has never happened before. I'll try disconnecting the Onkyo ipod dock, and see what happens. I noticed that this only happens after a cold start. If I leave it on, it will work fine for hours, but audio will almost certainly fail if I leave the receiver on standby for a couple hours.

Does the 3008 have any kind of diagnostic menu? I wonder if it is sensing a short and going into some sort of safe mode.
post #7686 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I was on the second to latest firmware when the problem started, and I have just recently updated. The problem existed under both firmware versions. Also, HDMI control is off. I've had the receiver since Aug 2010, with the same components hooked up, and this has never happened before. I'll try disconnecting the Onkyo ipod dock, and see what happens. I noticed that this only happens after a cold start. If I leave it on, it will work fine for hours, but audio will almost certainly fail if I leave the receiver on standby for a couple hours.

Does the 3008 have any kind of diagnostic menu? I wonder if it is sensing a short and going into some sort of safe mode.

Yes, it has short detection. If any of the speaker output terminals has a short, it will shut down into protection mode. Found this out the hard way when someone pushed the avr back when I was using different speaker cable terminators. There was an intermittent short across the terminals for one surround speaker. Avr wouldn't go into protection unless that channel received a signal.

That made me change my cable terminations on the amp end to banana plugs.

Max
post #7687 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Yes, it has short detection. If any of the speaker output terminals has a short, it will shut down into protection mode. Found this out the hard way when someone pushed the avr back when I was using different speaker cable terminators. There was an intermittent short across the terminals for one surround speaker. Avr wouldn't go into protection unless that channel received a signal.

That made me change my cable terminations on the amp end to banana plugs.

Max

From what info I found, the receiver would turn on in protection mode, but it would have some sort of error message and no audio. I'm not getting anything like that on the screen. I wonder what else could be causing the problem.
post #7688 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

From what info I found, the receiver would turn on in protection mode, but it would have some sort of error message and no audio. I'm not getting anything like that on the screen. I wonder what else could be causing the problem.

I didn't get an error message with the 5008.

Max
post #7689 of 8674 Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

I didn't get an error message with the 5008.

Max

No? I'm already using banana plugs, but I'll take another look behind the receiver. I hope it's something simple like that. I'm not looking to pay around $85 to Onkyo's regional repair facility in NJ. Thanks.

-EDIT-

When I woke up this morning, I tested the receiver, and there was no audio again. I tried swapping wall sockets and the off/on thing, but nothing worked. I decided to leave it on for about 10 min before messing with it. The first time I turned it off/on, audio came back. I don't know if this means anything since it's the first time I've tried it, but I thought I'd post the info just in case.
post #7690 of 8674 Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

When I woke up this morning, I tested the receiver, and there was no audio again. I tried swapping wall sockets and the off/on thing, but nothing worked. I decided to leave it on for about 10 min before messing with it. The first time I turned it off/on, audio came back. I don't know if this means anything since it's the first time I've tried it, but I thought I'd post the info just in case.

I had the same no audio problem with my 5008. With mine, no number of power cycles would bring back the sound. I brought it to a local Onkyo authorized 3rd party repair company, but they ended up sending it to the NJ regional repair facility because they couldn't fix it. Its been in NJ since the 7th of Jan, and is still "waiting for parts". I'll try to post when I get it back, and hopefully there will be some explanation of what part they replaced.
post #7691 of 8674 Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 AM

Is there a Wifi adapter that will work with the 3008?
post #7692 of 8674 Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddis View Post

Is there a Wifi adapter that will work with the 3008?

How do you mean? Do you mean you want something that will wirelessly link the 3008 to your router or home network? If so, any wireless bridge type thing will do that. Like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NetGear-ME10.../dp/B0000ATEKZ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7693 of 8674 Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

How do you mean? Do you mean you want something that will wirelessly link the 3008 to your router or home network? If so, any wireless bridge type thing will do that. Like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NetGear-ME10.../dp/B0000ATEKZ

+1 on the wireless bridge. You will get much better wireless performance compared to a wireless USB dongle..not to mention the ability to add more connected devices.
post #7694 of 8674 Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseroy View Post

I had the same no audio problem with my 5008. With mine, no number of power cycles would bring back the sound. I brought it to a local Onkyo authorized 3rd party repair company, but they ended up sending it to the NJ regional repair facility because they couldn't fix it. Its been in NJ since the 7th of Jan, and is still "waiting for parts". I'll try to post when I get it back, and hopefully there will be some explanation of what part they replaced.

When I got home, the first thing I did was test the 3008. There was no sound again at start-up, but after leaving it on for 10 minutes, sound was restored on the first power cycle.

I just spoke to Onkyo Product Support, and they told me to send it to a regional service center. Luckily they have one in CA, so shipping shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully they will have a relatively fast turn-around time. Good luck with your 5008, and if you would, please let us know what the problem was.
post #7695 of 8674 Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 AM

I had a question about the lip sync capability. I was getting a little annoyed with the audio just being slightly off, so i decided to use the lip sync option.

But after using it, the receiver would no longer play Dolby or DTS loseless while playing through my BD player. After being on the phone with Onkyo, I finally had to do a hard boot, and I was able to the hear Dolby through my BD player. Have you guys experienced this as well?

Tommy
post #7696 of 8674 Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy457 View Post

I had a question about the lip sync capability. I was getting a little annoyed with the audio just being slightly off, so i decided to use the lip sync option.

But after using it, the receiver would no longer play Dolby or DTS loseless while playing through my BD player. After being on the phone with Onkyo, I finally had to do a hard boot, and I was able to the hear Dolby through my BD player. Have you guys experienced this as well?

Tommy

I assume you are using all HDMI connections?
I also am using the lip sync menu option, but never had the issue with lossless soundtracks not playing. The only times I have any lip sync issues is with my Directv.... and only at certain times. Very intermittent. Never have had any issues with Bluray or HD DVD sources even before turning the Lip Sync option on. With it On, it seems to lessen the intermittent sync issue with Directv, but not solve it. I may try using the optical audio option from my Directv receiver to see if that helps.
post #7697 of 8674 Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

I assume you are using all HDMI connections?
I also am using the lip sync menu option, but never had the issue with lossless soundtracks not playing. The only times I have any lip sync issues is with my Directv.... and only at certain times. Very intermittent. Never have had any issues with Bluray or HD DVD sources even before turning the Lip Sync option on. With it On, it seems to lessen the intermittent sync issue with Directv, but not solve it. I may try using the optical audio option from my Directv receiver to see if that helps.

Yes, all connections are HDMI. Just to verify, the lip sync option is in the A/V sync, and then you adjust as needed.

Also, I do not have DirecTV so there is no problem there.

TX!!!
post #7698 of 8674 Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy457 View Post

Yes, all connections are HDMI. Just to verify, the lip sync option is in the A/V sync, and then you adjust as needed.

Also, I do not have DirecTV so there is no problem there.

TX!!!

As far as I understand, you can manually adjust it or turn on the Auto Lip Sync function of the HDMI standard which I am sure its effectiveness varies among devices and manufacturers....
post #7699 of 8674 Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM

For auto lip-sync to work you need all devices in the chain to support it. This is why there are mixed results.
post #7700 of 8674 Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 PM

Does anyone know which firmware's subset has code for RIHD? I would also like to know how could I reflash all the firmware over existing version? I have read about using CD drive w/opticle audio cable for DSP and R232C connection for Main for older Onkyo's. This was reportedly done with .wav firmware files. Recent models (eg xxx8) has different extensions.

I have 3008 that for some reason stopped controlling TV & PS3 over RIHD. I had PS3 that would get powered up when I switched to corresponding mode. Now it doesn't respond to either Onkyo or VieraLink when the only only thing that connected to either of these was PS3. I have done factory reset and disconnected power for long enough. I used to control TV over RIHD (power on/off, ARC) that doesn't work either. I have also brought TV to default settings and that doesn't work. It all started with TV power cycling itself while watching Netflix thru Onkyo and controlling PS3 over VieraLink. Then I tried connecting ps3 direct to TV and managing audio over ARC, which would drop out every 45 seconds to 2 minutes. Now I don't have RIHD either thru Onkyo or Panny. Thanks in advance for help.
post #7701 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM

I am considering this unit and was reading the manual and saw the diagram connecting all 11 speaker outputs utilizing both the wides and high...but then there is a note that says if you want to run all channels at the same time you can't hook it up that way in the diagram and refer to the on screen set up. It seems very confusing. Is there a way to use only this receiver to power 11 channels? I've read many posts saying it only has 9 channels but what is Onkyo's point in showing all speakers hooked up?
post #7702 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

I am considering this unit and was reading the manual and saw the diagram connecting all 11 speaker outputs utilizing both the wides and high...but then there is a note that says if you want to run all channels at the same time you can't hook it up that way in the diagram and refer to the on screen set up. It seems very confusing. Is there a way to use only this receiver to power 11 channels? I've read many posts saying it only has 9 channels but what is Onkyo's point in showing all speakers hooked up?

the 5008 will only have active 9 channels @ any given time , it's that way to hook up 11 only so you can swap between the rears & wides / heights if need be . Yeah the manual is very confusing on this point .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #7703 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

You answered your own question: the AVR is 9.2, so it has 9 channels of amplification. That means, of course, that there is no way at all to use 11 channels all at the same time.

Your choices for the 'main' channels are:

1. Front Left
2. Front Right
3. Centre
4. Surround Left
5. Surround Right

That uses 5 of the amps and you have to have all those connected for a proper 5.1 system.

Your choices for the 'optional' channels are:

6. High Right
7. High Left
8. Wide Right
9. Wide Left
10. Surround Back Right
11. Surround Back Left

Of those you can use these combinations:

High Right + High Left + Surround Back Right + Surround Back Left
High Right + High Left + Wide Right + Wide Left
Wide Right + Wide Left + Surround Back Right + Surround Back Left

Those combinations use 4 channels - added to the other 5, that makes the full complement of 9.

post #7704 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

the 5008 will only have active 9 channels @ any given time , it's that way to hook up 11 only so you can swap between the rears & wides / heights if need be . Yeah the manual is very confusing on this point .

I think some of the confusion was a hangover from the x007 series which were also 9.2 AVRs but there was no way to use the Heights and Wides *at the same time* even though the manual implied that you could. This was fixed for the x008 series.

post #7705 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 AM

Thanks...I guess that's a nice feature being able to switch from wides to high without much fuss if budget allows.
post #7706 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I'll try to post when I get it back, and hopefully there will be some explanation of what part they replaced.

Got my receiver back today. Seems to be fixed, but time will tell. According to the repair sheet, they replaced the HDMI-pc-board (BAHDM-0157) and a ribbon cable.
post #7707 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got my receiver back today. Seems to be fixed, but time will tell. According to the repair sheet, they replaced the HDMI-pc-board (BAHDM-0157) and a ribbon cable.

So can you describe the problems ? That You had with the unit ? I know about the bad ribbon cables but yours is the 1st I've heard where they replace the HDMI board .

Mike

post #7708 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I shipped mine out a couple days ago. I hope they don't take too long. I noticed that leaving the receiver on for 5-10 minutes before cycling the power restored audio every time. Like I said earlier, I had a very similar issue with my 807. I'd like to compare the repair ticket from my 3008 with the one from my 807. I wonder if the same components are failing. Notice that at least one of the problems is related to the HDMI board.

From my 807:
post #7709 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

So can you describe the problems ? That You had with the unit ? I know about the bad ribbon cables but yours is the 1st I've heard where they replace the HDMI board .

On my unit, I lost all audio output. It still passed video, and all the menus worked, but no sound came out of the speakers. It didn't matter what input was used, and things like the speaker level tests were also silent.
post #7710 of 8674 Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my unit, I lost all audio output. It still passed video, and all the menus worked, but no sound came out of the speakers. It didn't matter what input was used, and things like the speaker level tests were also silent.

Yeah that's quite different from the ribbon cable problem , Just be glad they fixed the ribbon cable while they had the unit

Mike

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page