New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 260 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7771 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ok done, let them sit for a few. Do that 6 month clean an dusting, even though I did 2 months ago. An I claim to be NO expert, but I figure give a chance. An the close up on the MICRO components.... WOW ! are those thomgs itty bitty tiny.
LL
LL

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7772 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Cleaning an dust removal. It not just dusting, you got to remove NOT move it.
LL

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #7773 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

Hi. The start of my little mod. Stay tuned.

Here my previous solution on two different Onkyo receiver models for the same "problem", and 3 x 12cm fans on the back....
I had heatsinks on just the parts that generate the most heat.
I must say now with the Integra DTR 70.2 i do not use the heatsinks any more, just the 3 fans and that seems to be ok.
Think when the heat of the Reon CPU and other IC's would be to high, or not cooled enough, Onkyo would fitted heatsinks like we did, but it seems not to be a very big issue.
And indeed a IC / heatsink contact that is not 100% would do more bad then good......
LL
LL
post #7774 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Ok done, let them sit for a few. Do that 6 month clean an dusting, even though I did 2 months ago. An I claim to be NO expert, but I figure give a chance. An the close up on the MICRO components.... WOW ! are those thomgs itty bitty tiny.

What are you using to fasten/adhere them onto the chips? And, ya, I would think that only a select 2 or 3 of the chips (the ones that do the heavy processing)really need the help with cooling.
post #7775 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

The BEAST an his BRIDE. Are back together, working harmoniously together. To give thrills an chills, Ewws an Ahhhs
LL
LL
LL

post #7776 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

What are you using to fasten/adhere them onto the chips? And, ya, I would think that only a select 2 or 3 of the chips (the ones that do the heavy processing)really need the help with cooling.

like i typed before; i am no expert.. I figure to find a basic solution to a known issue. HEAT ! . An to help dissipate it easily as possible; FOR ME. you can use what ever is good for you. I got these tiny heat sinks on e bay for like $14 for a bunch of them. They came with thermal stickers already on them; they were for the old XBOX 360's that got to hot. An as you can see I do have diy cooling fans on my components. An for me wondering which ones to put them on; why bother everyone got some love......now if you excuse me....N.E.O OR northeast o.h.i.o members; have been cordially invited to see a much larger than mine HT......

post #7777 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, Will see you there! I just popped in for a second and was just admiring your heat sinks! Just might have to try that on my 3008 Can't Wait to see Brad's Theater!

Jim
post #7778 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Ruben ya should have replaced that ribbon cable while you had it open ...

here's how it's done

http://www.moparhowto.com/ht-howtos/...kyo-nr708.html

All the 5008's have this problem , in fact all the X08 series have the problem

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #7779 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

like i typed before; i am no expert.. I figure to find a basic solution to a known issue. HEAT ! . An to help dissipate it easily as possible; FOR ME. you can use what ever is good for you. I got these tiny heat sinks on e bay for like $14 for a bunch of them. They came with thermal stickers already on them; they were for the old XBOX 360's that got to hot. An as you can see I do have diy cooling fans on my components. An for me wondering which ones to put them on; why bother everyone got some love......now if you excuse me....N.E.O OR northeast o.h.i.o members; have been cordially invited to see a much larger than mine HT......

Don't get me wrong, I think the heat sink idea has tremendous merit. I would just caution to please make sure you have very good contact between the heat sink and the chip with little to no gaps. Hopefully the included adhesive is of good quality and conducts heat properly. Otherwise, in a worst case scenario of a loose or poorly adhered heat sink, you could actually trap more heat and do more harm than good.
post #7780 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Good afternoon,
I have a 3008 and I was wondering what the typical lag or delay is when an input is changed or a Blu-ray player is started up.........etc.
I get about a 4 second delay between the audio (which is almost immediate) and the video showing up on the screen.
Thank you in advance for any comments.
BZ
post #7781 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Need some advice please, I'm having a in home demo on a Velodyne DD+18 on Friday so will need to re run Aydyssey.

By using the store & recall settings function will the Onkyo store & then recall my current settings so I don't have to re run Audyssey after the demo is complete & I'm back using my current sub.

Thanks

Andy
post #7782 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbluray View Post

Good afternoon,
I have a 3008 and I was wondering what the typical lag or delay is when an input is changed or a Blu-ray player is started up.........etc.
I get about a 4 second delay between the audio (which is almost immediate) and the video showing up on the screen.
Thank you in advance for any comments.
BZ

If you are connected with HDMI that sounds reasonable - it has to do the handshake with your display each time you swap sources.
post #7783 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandpwoodley View Post

Need some advice please, I'm having a in home demo on a Velodyne DD+18 on Friday so will need to re run Aydyssey.

By using the store & recall settings function will the Onkyo store & then recall my current settings so I don't have to re run Audyssey after the demo is complete & I'm back using my current sub.

Thanks

Andy

Yes - the Audyssey settings will be stored and recalled.
post #7784 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

If you are connected with HDMI that sounds reasonable - it has to do the handshake with your display each time you swap sources.

Thank you Keith,
You've always been very helpful!
BZ
post #7785 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #7786 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Ruben ya should have replaced that ribbon cable while you had it open ...

here's how it's done

http://www.moparhowto.com/ht-howtos/...kyo-nr708.html

All the 5008's have this problem , in fact all the X08 series have the problem

DUDE. this might be beyond me. Because the first time I am looking I am not getting to much. Gotta study the pics and the like; read an read. Like you replace with new cable? but so far no issues.... but i guess i am not done yet....

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I think the heat sink idea has tremendous merit. I would just caution to please make sure you have very good contact between the heat sink and the chip with little to no gaps. Hopefully the included adhesive is of good quality and conducts heat properly. Otherwise, in a worst case scenario of a loose or poorly adhered heat sink, you could actually trap more heat and do more harm than good.

Yes the issue of air pockets is a concern. But they are sooo tiny. And made sure to use that twist motion to secure fitment and adhesion.

post #7787 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 PM

I have experienced the audio dropping out while watching Bu Rays twice in the last week with my 3008 and Oppo 93.

The video remains playing, though. Simply rewinding for a second and resuming queues the audio back. I hear a sound coming from the 3008 when it happens, it sounds similar to when the relays kick in.

Anyone else seeing this? Seems like a handshake Via HDMI could be a possibility. How do I prevent this from happening?

I do not have the option of replacing the HDMI cable, as it makes a trip through th walls and ceiling.
post #7788 of 8663 Old 02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofiler View Post

I have experienced the audio dropping out while watching Bu Rays twice in the last week with my 3008 and Oppo 93.

The video remains playing, though. Simply rewinding for a second and resuming queues the audio back. I hear a sound coming from the 3008 when it happens, it sounds similar to when the relays kick in.

Anyone else seeing this? Seems like a handshake Via HDMI could be a possibility. How do I prevent this from happening?

I do not have the option of replacing the HDMI cable, as it makes a trip through th walls and ceiling.

At a minimum, remove your HDMI cable at both ends and reseat it. A poor connection can be the cause... maybe try using another HDMI input on your 3008. Do you bitstream from your Oppo or use PCM? If bitstreaming, try having the Oppo decode and use PCM and see if that helps. Is your receiver at the latest firmware?

Unfortunately, if reseating the cable doesn't fix it, the cable could definitely be at fault... How long is your cable run?
post #7789 of 8663 Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The sound is the relays clicking when the data stream is re-established. That is normal. Deano has given good advice - I’d just add some observations below:

Quote:

It could be the start of the x008 series HDMI board failure problem (see back in this thread for info). If you get to the point where the audio fails totally and the only way to re-establish audio is to switch the unit off and on again, then you are on your way to total audio failure I am afraid. Only solution then is to send it in for service and hope it is under warranty still. I hope it isn’t that of course, but you do need to be aware and to monitor it closely, especially if you are near the end of the warranty period.

Quote:

If the HDMI cable has been working well up to now, it's unlikely it has suddenly failed. Re-seat the connections at both ends and see if that fixes it. If the in-wall cable was a professional job, they should have run the cable in conduit so that it's a simple matter to withdraw the old cable and drag through a new cable attached to the old one. Personally, I would always use a conduit of some form but also I’d install a second, 'spare' cable at the same time on a 'just in case' basis, along with some Ethernet cable too. Hopefully, your cable is sound anyway.
post #7790 of 8663 Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

At a minimum, remove your HDMI cable at both ends and reseat it. A poor connection can be the cause... maybe try using another HDMI input on your 3008. Do you bitstream from your Oppo or use PCM? If bitstreaming, try having the Oppo decode and use PCM and see if that helps. Is your receiver at the latest firmware?

Unfortunately, if reseating the cable doesn't fix it, the cable could definitely be at fault... How long is your cable run?

I am bit streaming from the Oppo, yes.

I will check the connections to the 3008 and reseat them as you suggest first before changing output to PCM on the transport.

The cable I think is a 25 or 35' run. Mono price tested the cable at that length for me personally and it sent a flawless 1.4a signal consistently (although I know that the length is not usually recommended, but has been working great for about a year)
post #7791 of 8663 Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The sound is the relays clicking when the data stream is re-established. That is normal. Deano has given good advice - I'd just add some observations below:

It could be the start of the x008 series HDMI board failure problem (see back in this thread for info). If you get to the point where the audio fails totally and the only way to re-establish audio is to switch the unit off and on again, then you are on your way to total audio failure I am afraid. Only solution then is to send it in for service and hope it is under warranty still. I hope it isn't that of course, but you do need to be aware and to monitor it closely, especially if you are near the end of the warranty period.

If the HDMI cable has been working well up to now, it's unlikely it has suddenly failed. Re-seat the connections at both ends and see if that fixes it. If the in-wall cable was a professional job, they should have run the cable in conduit so that it's a simple matter to withdraw the old cable and drag through a new cable attached to the old one. Personally, I would always use a conduit of some form but also I'd install a second, 'spare' cable at the same time on a 'just in case' basis, along with some Ethernet cable too. Hopefully, your cable is sound anyway.

Yikes. I will monitor the situation closely, for sure.

I think the unit carries a 2year warranty, I will look into contacting Onkyo if it persists.

Thanks. Anything else that you may know to help would be greatly appreciated as well.
post #7792 of 8663 Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM

Will there be any advantages switching from a 3008 to a 5508 processor, if so what is better? I only use my 3008 for the back channels so wondering about changing to a processor and XPA-5..... I don`t use it for stereo music, only surround. Answers will be greatly appreciated
post #7793 of 8663 Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddis View Post

Will there be any advantages switching from a 3008 to a 5508 processor, if so what is better? I only use my 3008 for the back channels so wondering about changing to a processor and XPA-5..... I don`t use it for stereo music, only surround. Answers will be greatly appreciated

No, not much. The 3008 preamp section is the same as the 5508's. The 5508 will run a little cooler if that concerns you. But sonically, there will be little, if any, difference. Theoretically, separating the big powerful amp signals from the tiny delicate preamp signals could yield an advantage, but on a well-designed and well-made unit like the 3008 it's unlikely to result in an improvement you can hear.

I went from a 5007 to a 5509 (with all-Emotiva amplification) and that was a worthwhile move for me because it let me upgrade from Audyssey XT to XT32 and it gave me a few new features that Onkyo had incorporated since the x07 series (like 4k upscaling for example). I also wanted to use Audyssey Pro at some stage and with Onkyo the only way to do that is to the prepro route, so that was the clincher for me.

The very best value out there right now, IMO is the Denon 4311 which has a special 'preamp mode', plus XT32 plus the ability to run 11.2 with an external amp for the last 2 channels. It's a great unit at a great price and has a great spec.

But long story short, unless you really need a feature that the prepro has that your AVR doesn't, (such as Audyssey Pro ability) then I'd stick with the AVR if it was me.
post #7794 of 8663 Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody run into issues playing music files on their 3008/5008 from a network drive where all of a sudden the songs are listed and played in alphabetical order instead of the correct track listing order? The last couple of ripped albums show up correctly when looking at them with a computer, but when I pull them up on my 3008, they are listed alphabetically and thus play in that order.... Must be something simple I did or am doing wrong.....
post #7795 of 8663 Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Anybody run into issues playing music files on their 3008/5008 from a network drive where all of a sudden the songs are listed and played in alphabetical order instead of the correct track listing order? The last couple of ripped albums show up correctly when looking at them with a computer, but when I pull them up on my 3008, they are listed alphabetically and thus play in that order.... Must be something simple I did or am doing wrong.....

Yes, I've had this exact issue when playing the songs from the "By Folder" view. If I use the "Artist" view (or any others) the songs play in the correct order.

I remember I fixed it by messing with settings on the server side (I'm using TwonkyMedia) but the issue returned and the previous fix didn't work. Oh well. If you figure it out, please post here.
post #7796 of 8663 Old 03-12-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
For some reason I'm not getting sub output when I run in Direct mode. I used to (I think). I went from a 5008 to a 5508, so maybe I did on the 5008. I do have sub set to "on" for direct mode in setup. I have two subs connected to the sub outs. They are working fine in stereo mode.

Any ideas where to look before I hunker down and start troubleshooting?

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #7797 of 8663 Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

A second question: I was advised to ask over here or in the Audyssey thread about the proper way to A/B Audyssey on and off. I would think it would be by turning off eq in setup. Is there another way?

post #7798 of 8663 Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Peter,
Direct means just that, if you play a CD, it is 2.0 and you only get 2.0. If you play something with a 5.1 audio track, the avr outputs 5.1 directly, no Audyssey EQ or anything applied.

If you want 2.1 output from a 2.0 source, use Stereo, not Direct or Pure Audio.

Yes, the only way to a/b Audyssey is to change the EQ setting between Audyssey and Off.

Max
post #7799 of 8663 Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Peter,
Direct means just that, if you play a CD, it is 2.0 and you only get 2.0. If you play something with a 5.1 audio track, the avr outputs 5.1 directly, no Audyssey EQ or anything applied.

If you want 2.1 output from a 2.0 source, use Stereo, not Direct or Pure Audio.

I just realized the setting for Sub on/off under Direct is for analog sources! That explains it.

Quote:

Yes, the only way to a/b Audyssey is to change the EQ setting between Audyssey and Off.

Thanks.

post #7800 of 8663 Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Recently (actually after I did an Onkyo FW update about a month ago) I've experienced no picture or mottled bizarre colors when I connect my laptop to my 3008 which has its output connected to a HDTV (all via HDMI).

When I'm able to get a picture (decreasingly) the resolution on the TV is much less than 1080 and the screen is partially filled. Adjusting the resolution in the PC gets me no love. I've replaced all HDMI cables to no avail. Tried different inputs to the Onkyo and also tried the other Onkyo monitor output, again with no success.

When I connect the PC directly to HDTV, bypassing the AVR, things are fine.

Other devices such as blu-ray players work just fine.

When I connect the PC in another room (with another Onkyo system) things are fine.

When I try another laptop I experience the same issues.

I've already tried a hard reset -- no love.

Does this seem to indicate the dreaded HDMI board failure?

Jim
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page