post #7831 of 8671 Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Thank you for the rehashing, Fastslappy. Question for you -- what is each video processor tasked with? You've got the HQV Vida, and the Marvell Qdeo, in the TX-NR1009. I'm just wondering what Onkyo has decided each one is going to be doing, i.e., maybe Vida does deinterlacing, maybe Qdeo does any upscaling, that sort of thing. Do you know what's going on here?

The Vida handles all the normal VP stuff. The Qdeo is purely for the 4k upscaling.

Mike seems to be saying that he sees a difference even on 1080p source material which isn't possible* if using the Onkyo's Direct mode. Remember Direct passes the source untouched by any internal VP at all, Through passes the source untouched except for upconversion. There is no upconversion on 1080p content obviously, so in that sense Direct and Through are the same. On SD content, Direct will cause either the player or the display to do the upconversion, depending on how they are set and Through will cause the Onkyo to do the upconversion, assuming it hasn’t been done in the player.

*Mike, I apologise if I have misread you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 8671 Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The Vida handles all the normal VP stuff. The Qdeo is purely for the 4k upscaling.

Mike seems to be saying that he sees a difference even on 1080p source material which isn't possible* if using the Onkyo's Direct mode. Remember Direct passes the source untouched by any internal VP at all, Through passes the source untouched except for upconversion. There is no upconversion on 1080p content obviously, so in that sense Direct and Through are the same. On SD content, Direct will cause either the player or the display to do the upconversion, depending on how they are set and Through will cause the Onkyo to do the upconversion, assuming it hasn't been done in the player.

*Mike, I apologise if I have misread you.

yes you did I said I use 1080P up-processing on a DirecTV feed which is a compressed 1080P & most is 1080I as well . Never said it improved a uncompressed 1080P feed from a Blu-Ray

Quote:

On-board video processing on the TX-NR809 is handled by two advanced technologies: HQV® Vida VHD1900 and Qdeo technology by Marvell. Vida offers upscaling of all 480i/p, 576p, and 720p video sources to high-resolution 1080p. Qdeo, meanwhile, performs full 4K (3840 x 2160) upscaling of 1080p sources.

The Vida processor incorporates Auto HQV and HQV StreamClean to enhance video images in real time and eliminate noise in compressed video. With multi-cadence tracking, expanded 12-bit color processing, and four-field motion-adaptive de-interlacing, Vida optimizes the quality of both standard- and high-definition video images. The TX-NR809 also supports ISF calibration for optimum video performance.

this is from Stereowise Plus!
http://www.stereowiseplus.com/2011/0...e-marvell.html

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #7833 of 8671 Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

yes you did I said I use 1080P up-processing on a DirecTV feed which is a compressed 1080P & most is 1080I as well . Never said it improved a uncompressed 1080P feed from a Blu-Ray

Fair enough. I apologise to you again in that case!
post #7834 of 8671 Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Greetings,

Recently (actually after I did an Onkyo FW update about a month ago) I've experienced no picture or mottled bizarre colors when I connect my laptop to my 3008 which has its output connected to a HDTV (all via HDMI).

When I'm able to get a picture (decreasingly) the resolution on the TV is much less than 1920 X 1080 and the screen is partially filled. Adjusting the resolution in the PC gets me no love. I've replaced all HDMI cables to no avail. Tried different inputs to the Onkyo and also tried the other Onkyo monitor output, again with no success.

When I connect the PC directly to HDTV, bypassing the AVR, things are fine.

Other devices such as blu-ray players work just fine.

When I connect the PC in another room (with another Onkyo system) things are fine.

When I try another laptop I experience the same issues.

I've already tried a hard reset -- no love.

When I use the "skip video processing" function in the Onkyo the video is restored and is fine. So there seems to be an issue with the video processing chip, but why would it only be evident when a pc is connected?

Mr Barnes??

Regards,

Jim
post #7835 of 8671 Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

Greetings,

Recently (actually after I did an Onkyo FW update about a month ago) I've experienced no picture or mottled bizarre colors when I connect my laptop to my 3008 which has its output connected to a HDTV (all via HDMI).

When I'm able to get a picture (decreasingly) the resolution on the TV is much less than 1920 X 1080 and the screen is partially filled. Adjusting the resolution in the PC gets me no love. I've replaced all HDMI cables to no avail. Tried different inputs to the Onkyo and also tried the other Onkyo monitor output, again with no success.

When I connect the PC in another room (with another Onkyo system) things are fine.

When I use the "skip video processing" function in the Onkyo the video is restored and is fine. So there seems to be an issue with the video processing chip, but why would it only be evident when a pc is connected?

Mr Barnes??

Regards,

Jim

the firmware is buggy , hope for a fix
e-mail Onkyo about the problem they will not if they don't know about it ..

Mike

post #7836 of 8671 Old 03-31-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Greetings,

Mr Barnes??

Regards,

Jim

I'm sorry, Jim, but I can't think of anything that would cause the symptoms you describe, other than a fault of some sort. Maybe Mike's suggestion just above is a good one - the FW itself has a bug. I can't see why the issue should affect only your laptop PC either. First thought is obviously there is a problem at the PC end, but you have verified that this is not the case by connecting it elsewhere.

You sure you didn't change any source settings in the AVR - is the Res setting set to Through or what? Try setting it to Through and see if that makes a difference.

Alternatively try different output Res settings on the PC - what do you output at the moment from the PC? I'm clutching at straws here really - you seem to have gone through a thorough troubleshooting procedure.

Logically, if the PC is OK when connected directly to the TV, then it has to be something in the Source connection/settings for the Onkyo that is causing the trouble. Have you tried the PC on a different HDMI input in the Onkyo? If not, try that. Output at 1080p (if possible) from the PC and set the Onkyo to Through for that source input.
post #7837 of 8671 Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I'm sorry, Jim, but I can't think of anything that would cause the symptoms you describe, other than a fault of some sort. Maybe Mike's suggestion just above is a good one - the FW itself has a bug. I can't see why the issue should affect only your laptop PC either. First thought is obviously there is a problem at the PC end, but you have verified that this is not the case by connecting it elsewhere.

You sure you didn't change any source settings in the AVR - is the Res setting set to Through or what? Try setting it to Through and see if that makes a difference.

Alternatively try different output Res settings on the PC - what do you output at the moment from the PC? I'm clutching at straws here really - you seem to have gone through a thorough troubleshooting procedure.

Logically, if the PC is OK when connected directly to the TV, then it has to be something in the Source connection/settings for the Onkyo that is causing the trouble. Have you tried the PC on a different HDMI input in the Onkyo? If not, try that. Output at 1080p (if possible) from the PC and set the Onkyo to Through for that source input.

Thanks to all responders.

M. B, I have already tried everything suggested but the most interesting and only "solution" (if one can call it that) is bypassing "video processing" ('aux input & return', I believe) which gives me back my picture. Looks like I may have to send this anvil back to Onkyo since it is still under warranty.

If it were a FW issue I would think other forum members who use their PCs with the Onkyo would be experiencing the same problem and chiming in, wouldn't you?

Regards,

Jim
post #7838 of 8671 Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks to all responders.

M. B, I have already tried everything suggested but the most interesting and only "solution" (if one can call it that) is bypassing "video processing" ('aux input & return', I believe) which gives me back my picture. Looks like I may have to send this anvil back to Onkyo since it is still under warranty.

If it were a FW issue I would think other forum members who use their PCs with the Onkyo would be experiencing the same problem and chiming in, wouldn't you?

Regards,

Jim

after seeing your post I will not be doing the firmware update

Mike

post #7839 of 8671 Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

after seeing your post I will not be doing the firmware update

Having learned the hard way, I *never* do a FW update unless the revised FW cures some problem I am actually experiencing, or adds some new feature I really want.

I bricked a perfectly good player a couple of years back by attempting a FW update which added something like support for a disc I didn't actually own.

I had to update the FW on my Onkyo 5509 to get support for Audyssey Pro and that failed too, using the Internet method - left the unit without sound. Fortunately, re-running the FW update via USB method worked perfectly.

The only unit I have ever used where the FW update always goes like clockwork is Oppo.
post #7840 of 8671 Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having learned the hard way, I *never* do a FW update unless the revised FW cures some problem I am actually experiencing, or adds some new feature I really want.

I bricked a perfectly good player a couple of years back by attempting a FW update which added something like support for a disc I didn't actually own.

I had to update the FW on my Onkyo 5509 to get support for Audyssey Pro and that failed too, using the Internet method - left the unit without sound. Fortunately, re-running the FW update via USB method worked perfectly.

The only unit I have ever used where the FW update always goes like clockwork is Oppo.

I did the F/W on my new 1009 but I had to as that unit had a known bug in the stock F/W . I do not update firmware until I see that the new F/W will not break a unit . I also look @ what a new F/W fixes as well , if the fix does not apply to me I do not update .
I have never had a problem with Onkyo F/W updates over my home network . The AVR's are not like a PC you can Not roll back a F/W .

Mike

post #7841 of 8671 Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The AVR's are not like a PC you can Not roll back a F/W .

That's the big one. If you could roll back it would be terrific. And there's no real reason why not - I remember Toshiba issuing a FW update that broke the deinterlacing on some content - one of the clever dudes on the AVS Tosh thread for the player wrote a version of the old FW that could be installed, taking the unit back one version.
post #7842 of 8671 Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Getting a new receiver is great, but disconnecting everything and reconnecting it again......ughh, I'm getting too old for this The 3008 is definitely a beast.
LL
LL
post #7843 of 8671 Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

Getting a new receiver is great, but disconnecting everything and reconnecting it again......ughh, I'm getting too old for this The 3008 is definitely a beast.

i do have to agree.....an the EMO is even heavier than 5008, but that's OK..

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #7844 of 8671 Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 AM

Liked: 14
New to forum, wanted to say good morning & thanks for all the info, awaiting arrival of my 3008.
post #7845 of 8671 Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy1 View Post

New to forum, wanted to say good morning & thanks for all the info, awaiting arrival of my 3008.

WELCOME !!! boy you guys around here take forever to respond.

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #7846 of 8671 Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Foggy,
Welcome to AVS. I really think you are going to love your 3008. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT really makes for an outstanding experience. While I am using mine strictly as a Preamp, I have never had a better sounding HT.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #7847 of 8671 Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm getting relay clicks on the 3008 without changing sources.

I understand the relay clicks are part of the game when changing sources on the 3008. It's annoying but manageable. But now I'm getting the clicks during load screens while playing games or during quiet scenes in movies. I'm not changing the source (obviously) or changing sound modes whatsoever, the 3008 is clicking with no sound and during static screen material, a la load screens and quiet scenes.

I really hope I don't have to ship the 3008 to Onkyo for repair. It is a BEAST to handle and everything in my media room is connected to it.
post #7848 of 8671 Old 04-04-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

I understand the relay clicks are part of the game when changing sources on the 3008. It's annoying but manageable. But now I'm getting the clicks during load screens while playing games or during quiet scenes in movies. I'm not changing the source (obviously) or changing sound modes whatsoever, the 3008 is clicking with no sound and during static screen material, a la load screens and quiet scenes.

I really hope I don't have to ship the 3008 to Onkyo for repair. It is a BEAST to handle and everything in my media room is connected to it.

has it ever been repaired for the IDE cable & remote selection cycling issue ?
If not then that clicking just might be the start of that issue ...... if it is then contact Onkyo refer to the press releases in this thread , it's a free fix Onkto will pay the shipping back & forth
link ==> post #1327 has the press release

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21865738
when you contact Onkyo say you need a box & they will send a new box as well .

Mike

post #7849 of 8671 Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Greetings,

It is a little premature to suggest that the problem you're having is related to the Auto-Continuous failure that Mike is referring to. Double check your source's HDMI cable and make sure that it isn't the problem. If not do a hard restart (meaning power off and unplug the unit for several minutes).

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7850 of 8671 Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

It is a little premature to suggest that the problem you're having is related to the Auto-Continuous failure that Mike is referring to. Double check your source's HDMI cable and make sure that it isn't the problem. If not do a hard restart (meaning power off and unplug the unit for several minutes).

Regards,

Ralph is right , it could be something else as well . do some basic Trouble Shooting 1st

anyway here is my story about my issues ,

I know with my 5008 it was a small issue @ 1st , I got a small square display corruption on the front display panel 1"x1" LCD's always "on" in the area near where the volume control is displayed ..
That went on for months & no other issues . Then I got a new 80" display & removed my Entertainment Center ,added a wall mount to the 80"
the AV gear went to a temporary rack off to the side of the room & I quit using my 2 120mm PC fans used to cool the 5008 while it was in the Entertainment center , as the 5008 was in the open air atop the rack & then I started with the remote issues ,started with random Clicks ,then random displays of volume levels on the TV,then every time I touched my DirecTV remote the AVR would display the volume level (weird? I know ) ,then some cycling of the listening modes ,then constant cycling & not being able to shut the 5008 down at all ! short of pulling the wall plug . I then did a reset, NaDa no help . Had to power off for hours unplugged to cool the unit before it would even turn on at all & then it would work fine for 4 to 5 hours & then start cycling all over again. At that point I realized that heat was a issue so the fans went back on top & I made a point of unplugging the AVR when not in use ( the 5008 would/will stay slightly warm when plugged in) . Also made a point of when any issue started I turn it off & unplugged till cold to the touch , then all issues stopped when I followed this regimen except the display corruption . IE; back where I started before I moved to the temp rack .
Sorry for the length of this post
but this is how my unit reacted ,it was a long process .

when the units start the rapid constant cycling it's best to unplug fast as it's heating up very quickly as there is one report of a 5008 that was left on constant recycling that finally popped , flashed & smoke filled the room. There are also reports of units turning themselves on by them self .
I am not trying to scare anyone here ,but feel it's best that everyone with these XXX8 Onkyo's be aware of the issues . plz don't ignore small problems

Mike

post #7851 of 8671 Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have a repaired 5008 (ide cable issue) and i have had an issue similar to yours when I had a Logitech revue . It integrates with my Dish Satellite box/dvr. I had the sat. Hdmi cable going into the Revue and then Hdmi from the revue to the Onkyo. In order to get dolby surround,I had to send audio from the Revue to the Onkyo via optical cable. Every time I changed channels,i would hear several quiet but rapid relay clicks comming from the receiver.no matter what channels that I changed to. The clicks were more rapid and quieter than the usual relay click that I heard before inserting the Revue in the hdmi path with its opitcal audio. After several weeks,i decided to remove the Revue and now I only hear the occasional loud relay click when changing channels between dolby and non-dolby channels.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #7852 of 8671 Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies. Again, I'm not changing the source at all and I'm not changing channels on the cable box nor changing anything while waiting for the PS3/360 to load the next level. Also, I'm not getting the remote cycling issue.

I doubt it's a cabling issue since since all of my HDMI sources (cable box, 360, PS3, HD DVD player) are directly connected to the 3008 and all exhibit the non-source changing relay clicks (but the Wii, which is connected via component and 2 channel RCA does not have relay clicks; hmm...).

I'll call Onkyo. It's worth a few minutes on the phone, I guess.
post #7853 of 8671 Old 04-05-2012, 04:43 AM

Liked: 14
Will my onkyo talk to my droid through the usb interface?
post #7854 of 8671 Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I think you are the best one to answer that......
post #7855 of 8671 Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Will my onkyo talk to my droid through the usb interface?

You have a droid? Is it a Nexus 6? A Replicant? Or an NS-5 - be careful of those little suckers....

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question but it made me smile, for which I thank you
post #7856 of 8671 Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 27
I have the Onkyo 5008 and using Monitor Audio RX line. The front stage is the RX2's(bookshelf) & RX Center Channel.

I am going to try and use (2) Onkyo M-282 amp for my surrounds to take the load off of the rear and have the Onkyo 5008 dedicated to the front stage.

I have read so many different setups where people buy an amp for the front stage, but I believe the Onkyo 5008 will be fantastic for the front stage alone, and I should use separate amps for the surrounds.

My surrounds are the Monitor Audio RXFX's(2 sets), They are 80w RMS @ 6ohms, while the M282 is 125w @ 6 ohms

I would like anyone/everyone thoughts on this idea.

Also, if this works out well, when I add my heights to make it a 9.1, I want to use the same M-282 for those.
post #7857 of 8671 Old 04-07-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I would reverse that thinking , you do know that the 5008 is only rated for 145 watts per channel pushing two channels right ??
& the more channels added then that figure drops quite fast . push 7 channels it is only less than 76 watts & IIRC 5 channels then it about 85 watts , use the added amp for your mains
that 2 channel amp has more head room than the 5008 pushing 3 channels . look at the specs it shows the M-282 pushes 2 channels of 8 ohms @ 140 watts per channel

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Amplifier&p=s
your system then on paper would be about running about even watts on all channels
you would be better served to use the separate amp on the mains than the surrounds . that's how it worked in my set-up the 5008 worked better running the surrounds than the mains

Mike

post #7858 of 8671 Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I would reverse that thinking , you do know that the 5008 is only rated for 145 watts per channel pushing two channels right ??
& the more channels added then that figure drops quite fast . push 7 channels it is only less than 76 watts & IIRC 5 channels then it about 85 watts , use the added amp for your mains
that 2 channel amp has more head room than the 5008 pushing 3 channels . look at the specs it shows the M-282 pushes 2 channels of 8 ohms @ 140 watts per channel

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Amplifier&p=s
your system then on paper would be about running about even watts on all channels
you would be better served to use the separate amp on the mains than the surrounds . that's how it worked in my set-up the 5008 worked better running the surrounds than the mains

From some online test results, it more of 7channel: 78.7w, 5channel: 79.1

2channel:162.8w, while the Onkyo states 145w into 2channel.

All of those are at 8ohms, but my speakers are 6ohms, I don't have the right numbers for 6ohms. I'm guessing a minor little boost in figures from what you and I posted.

The amp M-282 is rated 125w @ 6ohms

On paper, as you said from Onkyo, it's rated at 145 into 2channel, but now it will be going into just one more to make it 3channel. Do you think the drop will be that dramatic?

*********EDIT***********
Quote:

These are thoughts, I can play around with the configuration. I was wondering, what amp you using for your front stage(and what is your front stage?)
post #7859 of 8671 Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

has it ever been repaired for the IDE cable & remote selection cycling issue ?
If not then that clicking just might be the start of that issue ...... if it is then contact Onkyo refer to the press releases in this thread , it's a free fix Onkto will pay the shipping back & forth
link ==> post #1327 has the press release

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21865738
when you contact Onkyo say you need a box & they will send a new box as well .

Thank you, Fastslappy, for the response. I called Onkyo CS yesterday and they're sending me a box and prepaid label to ship the 3008 to Jersey. They say that average turnaround time is 4 weeks.

As stated, I'm not looking forward at all to labeling and unplugging everything from the 3008 and lugging that 55 lbs. rock to UPS or Fedex. On a more minor note, going a month without surround sound, using my projector, and having to use the dinky built in speakers on my TV ain't going be fun.

Lastly, I hope all this trouble is worth it. I've heard a few stories where people ship electronics back to the factory for repair only to get it back with the unit exhibiting the same or even worse problems.
post #7860 of 8671 Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lastly, I hope all this trouble is worth it. I've heard a few stories where people ship electronics back to the factory for repair only to get it back with the unit exhibiting the same or even worse problems.

I wouldn't worry -this is a very well-known problem and fix. Onkyo will have done it on a lot of units....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page