post #7981 of 8663 Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

It was a thought to run 11 channels. I don't know why I asked, I don't have room for wides. I'm on a 13ft wall.

If I had room, the Onkyo could run 9channel, with heights and wides, but not with rear surrounds. And the heights and wides will have different audio. It's not like when the side surrounds and rear surrounds have the same audio?

Well the surrounds and rear surrounds have different info also. It may not be especially noticeable on the 5.1 soundtrack that is matrixed out to 7.1, but still different just from a timing and placement standpoint. This is especially true on a 7.1 soundtrack. It would be very noticeable on a sound from the movie that pans around you.... if you had the speakers connected in the wrong positions, the effect would be incorrect. Granted the sound coming from all "extra" speakers (heights, wides, matrixed rears) can be somewhat generic and sound very much the same, but the algorithms that create the sounds for these channels are very much tied to their expected placement and where they are actually measured in the room.

Can you experiment and run the actual receiver output for one of these channels and also run an input to an amp and power another pair of speakers elswhere? Sure you can.... and it may sound just fine to you. Will it be correct and accurate? No. But, there is no law against trying it for yourself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7982 of 8663 Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

There is no setting for Large that allows you to make crossover adjustments. By definition, if the mains are set to Large, then you bypass the AVR's bass management and send nothing at all to the sub (other than whatever content might be in the LFE (0.1) channel. You definitely do not want to bypass your subs like that - not when you have not one, but two, SVS PB12s! Leave the XO where it was after the Audyssey calibration, or raise it (never lower it) to 80Hz.

If I set my speakers to full, I can enable "double bass", which seems to give s much fuller/deeper sound then setting the fronts at a specific crossover to begin with. Do you know what frequency the receiver starts sending over to the subs when double bass is turned on?

For what it's worth, my front mains are klipsch ref iv rf82s, and I'm running them on a emotive xpa-5 amp.

Thanks!

Blu-Ray - 1028
HD DVD - 57
SD DVD - 1159
I Do Blu.
Own It. Now. NEXTEL. Done.|

post #7983 of 8663 Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by codee View Post

If I set my speakers to full, I can enable "double bass", which seems to give s much fuller/deeper sound then setting the fronts at a specific crossover to begin with. Do you know what frequency the receiver starts sending over to the subs when double bass is turned on?

Yes, you will get more bass output that way, for the reason that you will have more speakers reproducing the bass. The problem is that 'more' does not mean 'better' and you may also get all manner of phase distortion issues running that way. There are no circumstances I can think of where this 'double bass' is the right way to set up. If you feel that your bass is lacking when using proper bass management, with a XO of say around 80 Hz, then that is a separate issue that needs to be addressed - maybe a bigger or more capable sub, or maybe the addition of an extra sub for example, or maybe relocating the sub in the room in case you are sitting in a null. But the bloated bass you will get from 'double bass' isn't the answer.
post #7984 of 8663 Old 04-27-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by codee View Post

For what it's worth, my front mains are klipsch ref iv rf82s, and I'm running them on a emotive xpa-5 amp.

Thanks!

When double bass is activated, the receiver simply sends what it determines to be bass frequencies that is already going to your front left and right speakers (because of their Large selection) and also sends those signals to your sub/subs. In essence "doubling the bass". I agree with Kbarnes that you probably have issues with sub placement that really should be rectified if you feel this mode sounds better....
post #7985 of 8663 Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's also possible he just likes having way more bass than the director intended, in which case the whole subwoofer placement thing is just sideshow.
post #7986 of 8663 Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
hi all. fast question. is that have anyone experienced X32 calibration to say "faded" away....that a recalibration is needed. For me is this; notice the past week when the AVR was at a weird DSP from once I left it. An once that happened an reset to what i used to. But it sounded to me a bit tinny or flat. I just recalibrate again, sounds better to me; PLUS added .2 to the .1. an EWW LA' LA'... BUT THE thing is every couple of months this happens, what about you?

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #7987 of 8663 Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

hi all. fast question. is that have anyone experienced X32 calibration to say "faded" away....that a recalibration is needed. For me is this; notice the past week when the AVR was at a weird DSP from once I left it. An once that happened an reset to what i used to. But it sounded to me a bit tinny or flat. I just recalibrate again, sounds better to me; PLUS added .2 to the .1. an EWW LA' LA'... BUT THE thing is every couple of months this happens, what about you?

It sounds like a fault in your unit to me. But to save yourself recalibrating Audyssey all the time, follow the procedure below:

Store and Recall settings - Onkyo x007/x008
To STORE:
1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR (not the remote)
2. Then push Enter
3. Unit displays 'Setup store?"
4. Still holding Setup, push Enter again
5. Unit displays "Setup storing'
6. Unit then displays 'Complete'
All your settings are now stored.
To RECALL:
1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR
2. Then push Return
3. Unit displays 'Setup recall?'
4. Still holding Setup, push Return again
5. Unit displays 'Setup recalling'
Unit then powers off into standby mode. Switch unit back on, your settings have been restored.

This will allow you to store your settings, including Audyssey, and to restore them later if things go haywire again.
post #7988 of 8663 Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Good advice thanks!

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #7989 of 8663 Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

yes thanks for your help. I believe you did this a couple of times. But it seems every 3-6 the AVR forgets calibration; and well it do what it do...

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #7990 of 8663 Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

hi all. finally got in and to relax; turned on the system and no sound. NOTHING. NO radio, cable or console...... unplugged the unit entirely let it sit for a few... then turned it back on at first the same then it recognize it's time to work....WTF.. LIKE i can afford another AVR.....THANKS FOR JACKING ME ONKYO.... slapmehappy....will that you do will it help?

post #7991 of 8663 Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

hi all. finally got in and to relax; turned on the system and no sound. NOTHING. NO radio, cable or console...... unplugged the unit entirely let it sit for a few... then turned it back on at first the same then it recognize it's time to work....WTF.. LIKE i can afford another AVR.....THANKS FOR JACKING ME ONKYO.... slapmehappy....will that you do will it help?

Yeah sounds like the ribbon cable thing ..1st ask your self ,you wanna open it & change out that cable & clean the connectors yourself ..if not call Onkyo 1st thing & tell them about the press release concerning the problem with the 008 line of AVR's there is a certain phone # to call

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #7992 of 8663 Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:

THANKS FOR JACKING ME ONKYO....

post #7993 of 8663 Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

yes i am game....to rip it apart...an put back together. I would have to set a day for doing it. i have toools an a floor to use... because i am not in ANY mood to haul this heavy piece of ........ I mean like they even got issues with their INTEGRA line...

post #7994 of 8663 Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 AM

I was just checking out the Onkyo US site for the first time in a while and came across the notice for a new firmware update for the 3008/5008 and 5508 dated 3/28/12. It lists that this update is to "Improve noise during playback of DTS-HD Master Audio with particular Blu-Ray disc". I wasn't aware of any problems with noise on any discs, and missed if there has been any discussion on this subject. Can anyone elaborate on this? Also did anyone perform the update and notice any changes? I'm for the school of thought that if it's working fine I'm not going to risk it by updating just to update. Of those that did update, other then any changes have you noticed any problems this update has caused? I have a 5008 which so far (knocking on wood) has been flawless in my 18 months of ownership.

Thanks
post #7995 of 8663 Old 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM

So, I didn't go through 134 pages of posts but I'm going on an assumption here that this particular issue hasn't been noted as yet.

I've had my 5008 for about 15 months and about 6-8 weeks ago, I experienced an odd issue. On power up, the unit would immediately pop into the Audessey setup menu, and you were unable to exit out of it. I don't usually use it so I went through the setup and it seemed to work ok for another day or two and the same thing would happen. I did a factory reset which alleviated the issue, however, interestingly, my volume level went down. Where I would normally listen to programming at about 55 dB absolute, I now needed to bring it up to 60-65dB. It also seemed to affect some processing as some over the air/sat programming, depending on the show to a certain extent, gained a very hollow/tinny sound. These same shows did not exhibit this effect previously.

Being the easy going person I am, I disregarded it.

Fast forward to about a month ago...the unit started to rapidly flip through all the various processing modes itself. My troubleshooting consisted of removing sources one at a time, and removing speaker connections one at a time. Nothing definitive was found and even after several factory resets and only one input, the unit would continue to do this.

So I contacted the retailer and returned the unit to go out for repair. About 2.5 weeks later, I get it back to find that the two rear surround terminal sets were damaged and the retaining screw for the right surround terminals wasn't even screwed in. I don't recall off the top of my head what was replaced (I'll make another post when I get the sheet) but I opted to test the unit in the store to find that no audio would work unless either using direct or pure audio. Video seemed OK through HDMI. Additionally, other than the above modes, some sources would produce a tone/squeal...almost feedback or gound fault like sound on the left rear channel only.

Needless to say, whatever the repair center did didn't fix it and just made it worse. And needless to say, it went right back and the local Onkyo rep is involved. There's no fault of the retailer to be sure.

Other than the subsequent issue after it came back the first time, I'm just curious to know if there have been other simlar issues to what I've experienced.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic unit.
post #7996 of 8663 Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

yes you have the dreaded ribbon cable corrosion problem on the Onkyo XX08 line all units can be affected , Onkyo knows about the problem & has a special phone # to call to have your unit repaired
here's a thread on that XX08 unit failure issues , you will find all the info there on how to get a repair ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...339186&page=46

Mike

post #7997 of 8663 Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM

I suppose a look into the failure thread, had I properly searched, would have popped that up for me. Thanks for that.
post #7998 of 8663 Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailgunCD View Post

the unit started to rapidly flip through all the various processing modes itself.

Just confirming Fastslappy's diagnosis. You have the classic symptom. Good news is Onkyo will fix it at their cost.
post #7999 of 8663 Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Nevertheless, probably still a good idea to get the extended warranty on these units. Onkyo USA's extended warranty for $85 seems like a good deal, for the two extra years (4 total, then) of coverage it provides.

At that price I wonder if they're making any money on the warranty. I can see why they might want to offer it at expected cost, however: get the warranty, stay loyal to Onkyo, vs. skip warranty because it's too expensive, and get a Denon/Pioneer/etc. if the Onkyo ever fails. Make the profit in the initial sale, and not in warranty work. That's how I'd do it, anyway.
post #8000 of 8663 Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 27
Something strange happened the other day while I was watching ‘The Incredible Hulk’ with Ed Norton. At first I had the soundfield set to PLiix, then I switch it to DTS-Master HD.

I originally had the volume @ (-16) and it sounded fine. When a high action scene started the front stage audio would drop very low until I had to turn the audio up to (-8) to have it blend with the surrounds and sound ok. Once the action was over, the front audio would shoot up high and become extremely loud, then I would have to bring the volume back down to (-16). This happened more than once.

I know I had messed with some settings after I ran audyessy last, but didn’t test things out. I haven’t had a chance to replay the movie to see if it was just something weird. Or to test it out on something else. Last time I tested things, were to demo the amps, and I believe I made some changes afterwards, but don’t know what would make the front volume go down.

Some of you may remember, I am using (2) 2channel amps for my surrounds, if that has anything to do with it.

I find it odd that the front three volume gotten so low, while the rest remained the same.

*********EDIT***********

It might have been a fluke, I just tried to test it, but it didn't do it again. I suppose if it does it again, I will turn off the Onkyo and turn it back on to see if it continues.
Another reason it might have been a fluke, I noticed it sounded better.
post #8001 of 8663 Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like a good excuse to run Audyssey calibration again and then leave the settings alone, aside from perhaps enabling Dynamic Volume to Light, and making sure Dynamic EQ is On.
post #8002 of 8663 Old 05-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

When a Netflix stream (Samsung BDP-C6900, Roku 2 XS, and I think even my Oppo BDP-93) goes through my Onkyo TX-NR5008 receiver, the video framerate appears to stutter every now and then, seeming to drop a frame every 5-10 seconds. The issue is sometimes hard to notice (though it is there) in low-action content, but wherever panning occurs, then the problem is clearly noticed. VCR/DVR+Return (thus disabling the receiver's video processing) doesn't fix it. I can either Use or Skip the VP, no difference. The only way to eliminate the stuttering is to bypass the receiver entirely and plug said devices directly into the TV.

I am baffled by this phenomenon. It's not my preference to have to switch inputs in multiple places (TV + reciever), so I'd rather get this working through my Onkyo receiver somehow, and not suffer the stuttering framerate. Any help would be appreciated.
post #8003 of 8663 Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Attachment 245637

How many hours you have ?
LL

post #8004 of 8663 Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

My dad's volume knob on his TX-NR3008 is only working intermittently now. Mostly, it's just not working at all. Is this one of the symptoms of the ribbon cable issue? Are things only going to get worse from here?
post #8005 of 8663 Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

My dad's volume knob on his TX-NR3008 is only working intermittently now. Mostly, it's just not working at all. Is this one of the symptoms of the ribbon cable issue? Are things only going to get worse from here?

Sadly Yes ...

Mike

post #8006 of 8663 Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Onkyo Product Support: 800-229-1687

Integra Product Support: 800-225-1946

Product Support Team Hours of Operation:

Monday thru Friday 9am to 8pm EST

Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm EST

ok, true i called once with 15+ min before close.. put on hold from machine....then heard them leave and locked the door., if you wish to leave a message waite for the tone..... oh i left them a message all right. an included the old 905. With KNOWN hdmi board issues on the entire line also. An now having issues with this KNOWN ribbon or what the F' it is problem. I HAVE SPENT little under 3k for these two AVRS. AN YOU know what....I am A N G R Y !!!!!!!!!!! OK..... and yes i have sent a few emails. oh here is the actual number you may be calling 12017852600. THANKS FOR JACKING ME !!! ONKYO...... just to be dumb; I just notice that hours of operation ends at 8pm! ok so it was 3hrs and 15+ minutes ....

post #8007 of 8663 Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Onkyo Product Support: 800-229-1687

Integra Product Support: 800-225-1946

Product Support Team Hours of Operation:

Monday thru Friday 9am to 8pm EST

Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm EST

ok, true i called once with 15+ min before close.. put on hold from machine....then heard them leave and locked the door., if you wish to leave a message waite for the tone..... oh i left them a message all right. an included the old 905. With know hdmi board issues on the entire line also. An now having issues with this KNOWN ribbon or what the F' it is problem. I HAVE SPENT little under 3k for these to AVRS. AN YOU know what....I am A N G R Y !!!!!!!!!!! OK..... and yes i have sent a few emails. oh here is the actual number you may be calling 12017852600. THANKS FOR JACKING ME !!! ONKYO...... just to be dumb; I just notice that hours of operation ends at 8pm! ok so it was 3hrs and 15+ minutes ....

OK here's the press release ..

http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=215

Call this # only & select option #3

Press Releases

Return to Press Releases
Automatic Continuous Change of Listening Modes and/or Remote Controller Commands are not accepted
06/21/11 - Models: TX-NR708, TX-NR709, TX-NR808, TX-NR1008, TX-NR3008, TX-NR5008, PR-SC5508, HT-RC270, HT-RC370

If your receiver of the above mentioned models experiences the following : Listening modes automatically change one after another. When this problem occurs most commands will not be accepted.

Please contact our Product Support Department at (800) 229-1687, option 3, to confirm that this issue exists in your receiver. If the issue exists you will be given further direction on how to have it serviced.

***This issue will be handled for you even if you are out of warranty

Hope that helps call early in the day ....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...339186&page=39

read this thread & use these symptoms that are described in the thread . there are a few keywords you must state to get them to act on your Unit
mostly the cycling of the listening modes is a Big One , loss of the remote to control the unit , you get the picture

Mike

post #8008 of 8663 Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm sending mine off as well & I just have to get them on the phone yet myself .. was gonna fix it ,but some units Onkyo is replacing the Logic & HDMI boards as well the cable , so I feel that's gonna be the best option for me .... have them work on it & then if it fails agin then press them to replace with a 5009

Mike

post #8009 of 8663 Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

What do you suppose the TX-NR3008/5008 receivers do when presented with 12-bit (aka 36-bit) deep color? From what I've read, the Reon-VX uses internal 10-bit precision, so I have a hard time believing that when 12-bit deep color is input, that the received 12-bit is output, despite the receiver showing that it's accepting, and then outputting, 12-bit. It seems likely to me that the receiver is just truncating (discarding) the extra bits internally, and then either padding (this would be blatant cheating) or dithering at the end to reach 12-bits again. So, if one has a blu-ray player such as the Oppo BDP-93 that uses high-end processing to turn 8-bit color into smoother 10- or 12-bit, it would seem best IMO to have the Oppo BDP-93 output 10-bit deep color. This one-time processing to the color depth would seem in theory to be qualitatively superior to doing it twice, though I suspect the observable differences would be hard to detect except to the most motivated of connoisseurs.

Would anyone care to theorize on this with me?
post #8010 of 8663 Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It sounds like a fault in your unit to me. But to save yourself recalibrating Audyssey all the time, follow the procedure below:

Store and Recall settings - Onkyo x007/x008
To STORE:
1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR (not the remote)
2. Then push Enter
3. Unit displays 'Setup store?"
4. Still holding Setup, push Enter again
5. Unit displays "Setup storing'
All your settings are now stored.
To RECALL:
1. Push and hold Setup on the AVR
2. Then push Return
3. Unit displays 'Setup recall?'
4. Still holding Setup, push Return again
5. Unit displays 'Setup recalling'
Unit then powers off into standby mode. Switch unit back on, your settings have been restored.

This will allow you to store your settings, including Audyssey, and to restore them later if things go haywire again.

Are these instructions in the manual ? I always presumed my settings would be automatically saved. Thanks for posting .
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page