Old 05-12-2012, 02:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley161 View Post

Are these instructions in the manual ? I always presumed my settings would be automatically saved. Thanks for posting .

It's an undocumented feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It's an undocumented feature.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
HI ALL. i no longer can endorse ONKYO. EVEN though 6 months after factory warranty txnr-5008 is no longer functioning as a AVR. I have been emailing the ONKYO past several weeks; in dealing with the known issue of manufacturer. The ribbon cable issue.....and possible recall ?!? if i getting any news let you know. i feel like crying..

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Make sure to post your findings at www.timecube.com. I'll be hitting refresh often.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Make sure to post your findings at www.timecube.com. I'll be hitting refresh often.

What obscure website should he post to ?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

in my opinion; this should be posted somewhere else. sense this is A THREAD FOR ONKYO TX-NR 5008.... not for philosophical spew age.

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

I was trying, through humor, to suggest that you try to be more comprehensible. If English is not your native language, then I completely understand the difficulty and apologize to you Sir, if that is the case.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM

So, I to have the problem with my TX-NR5008 that I've had since July, 2011!! I must say coming from a long time Onkyo supporter that I am totally turned off by the customer service division of Onkyo.

I purchased this product new last year and now it if freaking DEAD in the water and I have spent three days on the phone with these people. I'm so foooking upset with the service that they provide I could spit nails and other stuff too!! It isn't my fault the on line registration had a malfunction and didn't get my 5008 registered, but somehow has my 905 registered. Hmmm, wonder if they have other issues with customers and the 5008's, 5508's they registered on line. My stuff is gone and now they don't want to honor a warranty, even though they have a news release clearly stating they will repair these units regardless!! Soooo, I have a $2k paperweight now?????

Anyone out there want to get in on a class action law suit?? It is clear as day that they knew/know they have problems with these units and yet they are skimping on service to us, the end user of their product!!

Look, I have a small commercial A/C service business and I can service and repair just about any make out there and get, obtain warranty authorization on the brand we are working on!! This is simply bull **** what Onkyo is putting me through on this. What do they think I'm a thief and I've stolen a $2300.00 receiver? But yet they have the 905, 875 units I had or have registered!!! All I know is that Onkyo has lost a customer of over 10 years by these actions.

Come on people, there has got to be others out there that have put up with this asinine treatment from Onkyo. If we all get together we can get this issue taken care of, cause they sure as Hell aren't doing what they should for us on their own!! But, then again this may just be my opinion. I may be the only one in America that is having trouble getting their problem taken care of. You know, the really bad part is that I have always loved Onkyo equipment since the 80's!! I've had an 875, then a 905, now the 5008, figure how much I've spent on the equipment. Not to mention the older units I had back in the day.

This sucks, really sucks!! Onkyo I am so dissatisfied with you, I am so let down by you. I think most of all though is that as a long time supporter of your products, that I am let down by your total lack of respect for your customer, your total lack of support for your customer. For you truly are an American corporation that doesn't care, doesn't want to please or make the customer happy. It is all about the company, for the company is all encompassing, all important to itself!! Us end users, well we only matter when we pay the bills!! Oh, wait, we do pay the bills. So.......

I'M PISSED...................................................... ..............................................

James A. Kyte Jr.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

so my warranty ended Nov of 2011, but from that to this past SATURDAY. it was having issues and now it is dead. I registered mine 30 days from purchase. But when I tried to email to them an they say serial number is wrong , I sent them a pic of it....called them; after 15+ min on hold. Got a machine an left a message.....so I guessing that ONKYO is just sucking the flys in with sh!t their building. Then smacking them dead...i hate to say that this is a divorce from this experience. I even included that this forum in my email to them..so I do think they will HONOR fixing or helping their customers; from KNOWN issues. I could only dream.....because my dream of having a nice itty bitty MAN CAVE; is dead...for now

Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

so my warranty ended Nov of 2011, but from that to this past SATURDAY. it was having issues and now it is dead. I registered mine 30 days from purchase. But when I tried to email to them an they say serial number is wrong , I sent them a pic of it....called them; after 15+ min on hold. Got a machine an left a message.....so I guessing that ONKYO is just sucking the flys in with sh!t their building. Then smacking them dead...i hate to say that this is a divorce from this experience. I even included that this forum in my email to them..so I do think they will HONOR fixing or helping their customers; from KNOWN issues. I could only dream.....because my dream of having a nice itty bitty MAN CAVE; is dead...for now

From 3 days on the phone with their factory support team. I get the distinct impression they could give a rats ass about how we feel about our issues!!! Very, very disappointing to say the least. I just know I'm done with Onkyo. Just like in my business, it is far, far to competitive to be treated like your an insignificant turd!! And folks, I've been in the service business for 25 years now!! So, I may not be the best, but I've done a few things right and will always, I mean always continue to operate on the belief that the customer is always right. Never purvey that they are not telling the truth, being disingenuous!! Which is the attitude, opinion it seemed to come from the support people I've spoken with!! I just think they really don't give a big one about our issues!! Anywho, this is the feeling the guys seemed to purvey to me!!!!

James A. Kyte Jr.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Just mail it to Denver and forget dealing with them on the phone then. That should force things.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

HI ALL, i guess this could be the end of this thread. For the fact that I took care of my toys..and i know that I am not the only one that 5008 died. Or malfunctioning to a point of non-use. it is just my opinion; that ANY ISSUES with this particular AVR is DO to the manufacturing practices of ONKYO. AND that they also have issues with the INTEGRA line. And it affects more models there. So suck it up and recall....onkyo......an take care of your family or burn the bridge and never come back. Because the fact is a MAJOR percentage of people buying the top end AVR's are previous owners of Onkyo products. i would like to find out that address, if they don't email me and they got my mobile number...

Old 05-16-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

How did your warranty run out in November? Onkyo receivers have a two-year warranty (unless refurbished), so that means you bought your receiver in November 2009. However, the TX-NR3008/5008 weren't available in November 2009. I'm confused...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Being misinformed and confused doesn't stop people from posting, unfortunately. Nor does it stop them from having strongly-held political opinions.

The Onkyo TX-NR3008 and TX-NR5008 receivers were available in the middle of 2010, around July. Anybody who has one of these receivers is still covered by the warranty, and also, if they have the issue that Onkyo has said will be covered even outside of warranty, that issue and any arising directly from it will be covered even after the normal warranty expires, probably for an additional year or two I'd imagine.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 PM

How many of you have actually called, spoken with an Onkyo rep?? All I know is that I purchased my 5008, July of 2011 and it is DEAD now, 9-10 months and no good now; it doesn't even do the occasional scrolling through the sound modes as it once did. Now, it just doesn't want to do a thing.

I have a spoken with an Onkyo Rep on three separate occasions and they're not very helpful, they're not very courteous, Oh and even though I had the press release in front of me reading from it as I spoke to the rep about covering the issues, even if it was out of the warranty time frame, uhhh, they had NEVER heard of it, the press release!! One rep even claimed to have never even been aware of the scrolling or cycling through the listening modes that was going on. It was a new one to him, WTF!!!!

Love it how people on these sites are sooo informed as they see it, yet sooo misinformed in reality!!! Onkyo isn't trying to help out on these issues, if anything they are trying to duck out of their responsibilities as far as I can tell. Otherwise, I'd have my 5008 on the way to Onkyo service getting repaired and not having my old 905 hooked back up as my main AVR now. But, I'm still dealing with the problem!!

James A. Kyte Jr.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Onkyo reps were fine and helpful when I called around 2 years ago to get the HDMI board replaced on my TX-SR876 under warranty.

I'm not even sure if you have to contact any reps to obtain warranty service according to the website:
Quote:

To obtain warranty service, take or ship your Onkyo product to an Onkyo Authorized Service Center, together with a note describing your complaint and your copy of the dated purchase receipt. Please also include in any mailing a contact name, address and telephone number. If you choose to ship your Onkyo product to an Onkyo Authorized Service Center, all shipping arrangements must be made by you and all shipping charges and insurance must be fully prepaid. Any Onkyo product shipped in its entirety must be shipped in its original carton. Onkyo will pay all return shipping charges for Onkyo products that have been serviced under this warranty.

However, if you purchase from an unauthorized dealer, your warranty won't be valid.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

How did your warranty run out in November? Onkyo receivers have a two-year warranty (unless refurbished), so that means you bought your receiver in November 2009. However, the TX-NR3008/5008 weren't available in November 2009. I'm confused...

I HAVE NO IDEA; i am just sooooo emotional........

Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

For stereo CD's
The Stereo setting uses subs and cross-over (Mine is 80hz).
Does Pure or Direct disable the crossover or are the front speakers only playing down to 80hz (My setting)? The bass seems very weak and thin sounding, is why I ask. I have a great 2 channel in another room, so I know the cd is not the problem.

Thanks for any 2012 insight.

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus View Post

For stereo CD's
The Stereo setting uses subs and cross-over (Mine is 80hz).
Does Pure or Direct disable the crossover or are the front speakers only playing down to 80hz (My setting)? The bass seems very weak and thin sounding, is why I ask. I have a great 2 channel in another room, so I know the cd is not the problem.

Thanks for any 2012 insight.

Pure and Direct modes disable the subs and your speakers should play full range. It really only makes sense that your bass seems a bit weaker depending on the true bass reproduction qualities of your front speakers.... or their room placement. Also of note, is how do you have your CD player hooked to your receiver? Digital(HDMI or optical/coax) or RCA analog cables? Because there is a menu setting for how to handle analog only sources for Direct Mode.... whether to use the subs or not. Keep in mind too that by not using Stereo mode, and using Direct or Pure, I believe you are not getting the benefit of Audyssey MultiEQXT32 and the magic that is does.....
Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Pure and Direct modes disable the subs and your speakers should play full range. It really only makes sense that your bass seems a bit weaker depending on the true bass reproduction qualities of your front speakers.... or their room placement. I believe you are not getting the benefit of Audyssey MultiEQXT32 and the magic that is does.....

I use HDMI.
The Pure or Direct mode is a weak link compared to my other upper end gear that does not have room correction, as I have respectable Full Range speakers.
Sonus Faber Elipsa's and McIntosh LS 360's.
The sacd's sound fine on my other system, sans the subs but weak and thin through the Onkyo. The stereo setting is much better, but not perfect with the XT32 engaged.

Honest Graft.
"I saw my opportunities, and took them"!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Hello ILOVEMYHDTV,

When I had to repair my dad's Onkyo TX-NR3008 almost a year ago (loud hiss out of one of the speakers, coming from the receiver), Onkyo had us ship it to their preferred authorized service center:

DTR TECHNOLOGIES
2525 WEST 6TH AVENUE
DENVER, CO Colorado 80204

Phone: 303-573-6288

A service center local to us (in the Seattle area) could not fix the issue; DTR Technologies fixed it quickly and it arrived back to us in perfect physical and operating condition.

Hope this helps.

Do you have an update on your situation for us?
Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello,
For those having issues with getting decent Customer Service, calling the 201 Onkyo HQ Phone Number results in speaking to massively more competent CSR's. The 800 Number is useless and I believe it is outsourced to India. They do not have the latitude to offer any sort of real resolution and at least the ones I spoke to were not very well informed. I have not called Onkyo's 800 Number in many years, but I would be surprised if that has changed.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for contacting Onkyo USA. As requested, here is the listing for the service center:

Regional:

Name: A B L CORP

Address1: 314 E 14 MILE RD

Address2:

City : MADISON HEIGHTS

State : MI Michigan

Zip Code: 48071

Srvc Mgr AL TRUHAN / DAVE BURK

Phone : 800-373-3065
Local:

Name: PRO-TEC ELECTRONICS ENTERPRISE INC

Address1: 3879 STATE ROAD

Address2:

City : CUYAHOGA FALLS

State : OH Ohio

Zip Code: 44223

DBA Name:

1 Srvc Mgr JAMES LUCAS

Phone : 330-923-3191

Fax Nbr : 330-923-4420

Parts Mgr JAMES LUCAS

Payment Terms : N30 NET 30

AR Credit Lmt : 5000

If you are shipping the unit, it would most likely be best to send it to the Regional Center, as their 90 day guarantee on the repair includes shipping back to the service center if necessary.

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reply, or give us a call at 1-201-785-2600 option 4 on the menu.
hi this is a cut an paste...yes 201 number did work., VERY well; after pressing #4 i got mike. BUT the thing is that i got to see; IF I PURCHASED IT FROM A " AUTHORIZED" dealer.... so if so; good to go. But if I didn't then they WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY....I can understand this to a point....BUT if there IS a massive reject and failure of your product their should be NO ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NOT TO FIX.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Glad It's being taken care of , I spent the day emailing to get the paper work on my 5008 so that I make sure I have all the documents I need to back-up my purchase as well . come monday I'll be calling that # also .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Onkyo USA. As requested, here is the listing for the service center:

Regional:

Name: A B L CORP

Address1: 314 E 14 MILE RD

Address2:

City : MADISON HEIGHTS

State : MI Michigan

Zip Code: 48071

Srvc Mgr AL TRUHAN / DAVE BURK

Phone : 800-373-3065
Local:

Name: PRO-TEC ELECTRONICS ENTERPRISE INC

Address1: 3879 STATE ROAD

Address2:

City : CUYAHOGA FALLS

State : OH Ohio

Zip Code: 44223

DBA Name:

1 Srvc Mgr JAMES LUCAS

Phone : 330-923-3191

Fax Nbr : 330-923-4420

Parts Mgr JAMES LUCAS

Payment Terms : N30 NET 30

AR Credit Lmt : 5000

If you are shipping the unit, it would most likely be best to send it to the Regional Center, as their 90 day guarantee on the repair includes shipping back to the service center if necessary.

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reply, or give us a call at 1-201-785-2600 option 4 on the menu.
hi this is a cut an paste...yes 201 number did work., VERY well; after pressing #4 i got mike. BUT the thing is that i got to see; IF I PURCHASED IT FROM A " AUTHORIZED" dealer.... so if so; good to go. But if I didn't then they WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY....I can understand this to a point....BUT if there IS a massive reject and failure of your product their should be NO ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NOT TO FIX.

I agree with you!! If there is a massive problem failure. Well, they should fix, replace or repair without delay!! I lucked up and got in touch with the right person at the right time for my 5008. On the way to some service center up in Michigan to hopefully get repaired.

Man, I'm glad I had an older TX-NR905 that I had purchased a few years back. This is whats running the home theater now until I get the 5008 back or switch to Marantz or Denon.

James A. Kyte Jr.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I'm selling the 5008 as soon as it's fixed ...

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus View Post

I use HDMI.
The Pure or Direct mode is a weak link compared to my other upper end gear that does not have room correction, as I have respectable Full Range speakers.
Sonus Faber Elipsa's and McIntosh LS 360's.
The sacd's sound fine on my other system, sans the subs but weak and thin through the Onkyo. The stereo setting is much better, but not perfect with the XT32 engaged.

I have had a few discussions about this, and from my understanding, when you use 'Pure Audio'/'Direct', you are not using the Onkyo's DAC, but the DAC of the HDMI device, that is the weak link here.

When using 'Pure Audio'/'Direct' you are basically just using the amp section from the Onkyo, and it's only amplifying your HDMI source.

To get the best out of your 'Pure Audio'/'Direct', you should use an analog connection, not a digital.

It will sound FANTASTIC, if you use a good to great DAC with the 'Pure Audio'/'Direct'.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

well of coarse it was a UN-authorize seller. soooooo the prospect that a couple of cables and a board or 3 that may be needing to be replaced. the price out of pocket, could be just the same to invest in a newer version of something.....

Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Very unfortunate. Surely there must be some alternative.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

I have had a few discussions about this, and from my understanding, when you use 'Pure Audio'/'Direct', you are not using the Onkyo's DAC, but the DAC of the HDMI device, that is the weak link here.

This is incorrect. If you're feeding the signal to the Onkyo AVR via HDMI, then you must by necessity use the Onkyo's DAC to convert the signal to analog before it is amplified and sent to your speakers. The source device's DAC is not used -- although its decoder or DSP might be (e.g. to decode a Dolby Digital track into an uncompressed PCM digital stream). The only way to avoid the Onkyo's DAC is to run analog input to the Onkyo and then active Pure Audio mode (or maybe Direct mode, but that's less certain).