New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 8667 Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Contact Onkyo support and ask for the previous revision file. Explain that the current revision seems to have caused problems and you want to flash backward a step before re-flashing to the current revision.

I believe it was Panasonic who released the firmware revision for their previous generation plasma TVs that corrected the HDMI sync issue they had with Onkyo receivers. I remember all of this stuff because I was looking at buying a 5007 and a Panasonic Plasma at the time.. until the whole black level issue with Panasonic came to light.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8667 Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why go back to the original firmware? I'd take a few seconds of digital snow over defective XT32 any day. There are a number of people who don't have that issue, myself included. Maybe the receiver is reacting badly to certain brands of TV's or HDMI enabled components.

constp, have you tried hooking up to a different TV or maybe trying the other HDMI out on your receiver? I saw that you get the issue when switching to anything, including a PS3. I have a PS3 slim, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box, Samsung BD player, and a Samsung LED TV. I have never experienced that problem with my setup.
post #813 of 8667 Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM

I suggested going back because he said he didn't have the problem prior to his flashing the firmware. I wanted him to go back to the previous revision to see if the problem is alleviated. Afterward, re-flash to the updated firmware and see if the problem comes back.
He thinks it's a firmware issue. Nobody's actually proven this yet, however.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #814 of 8667 Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone notice color problems with non-HD inputs? With iPod video and with a Wii hooked up through composite inputs, things have a definite purple-green color to them. Is there a way to improve that? (It certainly doesn't look normal.)
post #815 of 8667 Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Just got my 5008. Hooked it up today and yesterday. Unfortunately, I am thinking about trading it out for the Denon 4311 (if I can find one). Here are my issues:
1. Popping on input / channel changes / commercials. This is annoying. I have read the threads and set a default listening mode for the input source, but it still happens.
2. Network Audio issues. First time I used this it worked like a charm. Now when I go in it initializes forever. Unplugging the machines fixes it for a while, but that is a pain.
3. Most of the time when I change inputs for zone 2, it shuts off the receiver. Very frustrating bug.
Curious as to how many actual owners have experienced these things. Thanks.
post #816 of 8667 Old 10-22-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprager View Post

Just got my 5008. Hooked it up today and yesterday. Unfortunately, I am thinking about trading it out for the Denon 4311 (if I can find one). Here are my issues:
1. Popping on input / channel changes / commercials. This is annoying. I have read the threads and set a default listening mode for the input source, but it still happens.
2. Network Audio issues. First time I used this it worked like a charm. Now when I go in it initializes forever. Unplugging the machines fixes it for a while, but that is a pain.
3. Most of the time when I change inputs for zone 2, it shuts off the receiver. Very frustrating bug.

I had a 5007 had some of those issues when it first came out but were adressed with firmware early on. Jkust a month ago I sold it and tried the denon 4311 nice unit but to me I felt (my opinion) in most areas the onkyo was more to my liking. The main reason I changed I wanted 11.2 all running at the same time. I was deciding between the 4810 and the 4311 I was able to get one of the first 4311's. I like the multi eqxt32 and sub eq but missed my 5007. I got a nice offer for it and was going for a 4810 but lacking the xt32 for its price I went for the 5008 from newegg. I got it Tuesday set it up wed and have been extremely pleased No issues what soever with the internet radio , and pandora , Ipod also. With the 4311 had to set up audessey three time before I felt near comfortable. I set the Onk once and even my wife who could normally care less noticed a big difference in the clarity and warmth. The clicking I have is only on start up and very low on imput changes never between programs or commercials. There are a couple of things I do not like or one I miss from the 5007. It gets warmer than the 5007 but not hot. I do have a couple of cooler guys fans I might use with it. I have nothing against the Denon but after a two week trial I prefer my Onk. I am sure anyone who gets the Denon will be pleased just look how quickly they are selling and most on the form love it. I guess i am in the minority but thats how it goes. I am sorry you are having issues and I hope all works well for you. Did you see the european version thx cert and heavier. also comes in silver or black. (the 4311.

post #817 of 8667 Old 10-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

Anyone notice color problems with non-HD inputs? With iPod video and with a Wii hooked up through composite inputs, things have a definite purple-green color to them. Is there a way to improve that? (It certainly doesn't look normal.)

I've had this problem before with other components. Once it was one of the RGB cables that was causing a problem and the other time it was one of the RBG component connections. Try switching out cables and/or moving each of the RGB cables around in the component connections to see if that is the problem. I had to take the cover on a component off once to find a loose connection behind one of the RGB connections inside the component. Good luck! Hope this helps!
post #818 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

I've had this problem before with other components. Once it was one of the RGB cables that was causing a problem and the other time it was one of the RBG component connections. Try switching out cables and/or moving each of the RGB cables around in the component connections to see if that is the problem. I had to take the cover on a component off once to find a loose connection behind one of the RGB connections inside the component. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Hmm, good idea. I can try a couple other inputs on the Onkyo. Oddly, the Wii was connected with the same cables to a projector without problem, then when I swapped the cables I noticed the color change.
post #819 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprager View Post

Have not seen 1.
2. was not fixed on the 3008 with the first firmware update. Onkyo has acknowledge the problem and is working on it, but has not given a time frame for the fix. They said 'keep checking our website for an update' about 2 weeks ago to me. The workaround posted earlier in this thread is working well for me.
post #820 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
There seems to be some inconsistencies in the docs for the 4311, because someplace else in an official brochure it states, that the weight is the same as the US version. Don't know about the other thing (THX cert), but it might be an error too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

I had a 5007 had some of those issues when it first came out but were adressed with firmware early on. Jkust a month ago I sold it and tried the denon 4311 nice unit but to me I felt (my opinion) in most areas the onkyo was more to my liking. The main reason I changed I wanted 11.2 all running at the same time. I was deciding between the 4810 and the 4311 I was able to get one of the first 4311's. I like the multi eqxt32 and sub eq but missed my 5007. I got a nice offer for it and was going for a 4810 but lacking the xt32 for its price I went for the 5008 from newegg. I got it Tuesday set it up wed and have been extremely pleased No issues what soever with the internet radio , and pandora , Ipod also. With the 4311 had to set up audessey three time before I felt near comfortable. I set the Onk once and even my wife who could normally care less noticed a big difference in the clarity and warmth. The clicking I have is only on start up and very low on imput changes never between programs or commercials. There are a couple of things I do not like or one I miss from the 5007. It gets warmer than the 5007 but not hot. I do have a couple of cooler guys fans I might use with it. I have nothing against the Denon but after a two week trial I prefer my Onk. I am sure anyone who gets the Denon will be pleased just look how quickly they are selling and most on the form love it. I guess i am in the minority but thats how it goes. I am sorry you are having issues and I hope all works well for you. Did you see the european version thx cert and heavier. also comes in silver or black. (the 4311.

post #821 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

There seems to be some inconsistencies in the docs for the 4311, because someplace else in an official brochure it states, that the weight is the same as the US version. Don't know about the other thing (THX cert), but it might be an error too.

probably so as it would be unusual for them to create that much of a difference between europe and us.

post #822 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

I suggested going back because he said he didn't have the problem prior to his flashing the firmware. I wanted him to go back to the previous revision to see if the problem is alleviated. Afterward, re-flash to the updated firmware and see if the problem comes back.
He thinks it's a firmware issue. Nobody's actually proven this yet, however.

You are right on point. I will email Onkyo, as per your advice earlier, to see if they will provide the first revision of the firmware.

Post 810 by pcb2122 is interesting, as I also have a Panasonic plasma (TC-P54G20). I think we may be onto something here, probably a similar issue to the HDMI sync issue you mentioned earlier with the previous generation of Panasonic plasmas.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will keep you posted.
post #823 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valero_r View Post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why go back to the original firmware? I'd take a few seconds of digital snow over defective XT32 any day. There are a number of people who don't have that issue, myself included. Maybe the receiver is reacting badly to certain brands of TV's or HDMI enabled components.

constp, have you tried hooking up to a different TV or maybe trying the other HDMI out on your receiver? I saw that you get the issue when switching to anything, including a PS3. I have a PS3 slim, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box, Samsung BD player, and a Samsung LED TV. I have never experienced that problem with my setup.

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have an LG plasma in a different room that I will try. I'll post here my findings.
post #824 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got a question for you 3008/5008 owners. The manual says the length of the Onkyo 3008/5008 is 18 1/4 inches. My question, is that measurement taken from chassis to chassis or is that measurement from the volume knob to the speaker posts?

post #825 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

I got a question for you 3008/5008 owners. The manual says the length of the Onkyo 3008/5008 is 18 1/4 inches. My question, is that measurement taken from chassis to chassis or is that measurement from the volume knob to the speaker posts?

good question will try to measure this evening and post for you. It is a big unit .

post #826 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:

good question will try to measure this evening and post for you. It is a big unit .

Thank you much. I got the height and width covered on my audio cabinet as well as some L brackets and wood plates to reinforce the cabinet shelf as it is rated for 40lbs. The length of my shelf is 19 inches so if it is 18 1/4 with knobs and speaker posts I won't have any issues.

post #827 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 03:25 PM

Dumb question.

Can I run the fronts and center to an xpa-3 and run the 4 surrounds of the onkyo right??

And if running the fronts of an amp will that allow the receiver to drive more power the rears if required? Because the receiver is rated at 145w but my rears go all the way to 400w.

Thanks
post #828 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constp View Post

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have an LG plasma in a different room that I will try. I'll post here my findings.

OK, I can confirm that no digital snow appears when switching inputs with my LG plasma. It, therefore, appears, as GlassWolf mentioned, that it is an issue with the interaction between the Onkyo and the Panasonic plasma. Not sure what to do now. Should I contact Panasonic, Onkyo or both with my findings?
post #829 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:

3008 measures 18 1/4 inches from the knob (and the lower front door/closed, they are about the same distance on the front) to the back of the speaker binding posts. If you have composite or audio cables installed, it looks like you would need 19 or 20 inches of clearance in the back for straight out cables.
post #830 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you much. I got the height and width covered on my audio cabinet as well as some L brackets and wood plates to reinforce the cabinet shelf as it is rated for 40lbs. The length of my shelf is 19 inches so if it is 18 1/4 with knobs and speaker posts I won't have any issues.

cobra pa is right it measures from the knobs to rear of speaker posts and with banna plughs and other connections you need the extra room. Mine is on top shelf open all around.

post #831 of 8667 Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring1ion View Post

Dumb question.

Can I run the fronts and center to an xpa-3 and run the 4 surrounds of the onkyo right??

And if running the fronts of an amp will that allow the receiver to drive more power the rears if required? Because the receiver is rated at 145w but my rears go all the way to 400w.

Thanks

Most receivers are measured with 2 channels driven. The Onkyo is rated at 2 channels driven 145 watts at 8 ohms. One thing with my experience is the surround channels don't drive as much juice as the front L, Center and Right. No to your question will the rears get 400 watts. A good way of looking at it is like a glass of water. 7 people drinking from the same 145 watts per 2 people. If you add the amp it is like removing 3 people from the 7 people drinking from the same 145 watts per 2 people. Of course it depends on what speakers you are using for your surrounds. Of myself, I will be using 5 big speakers for my L,C, R and back surround rears, so I want a 5 channel amp and have the 4 other surrounds running from my receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraPA View Post

3008 measures 18 1/4 inches from the knob (and the lower front door/closed, they are about the same distance on the front) to the back of the speaker binding posts. If you have composite or audio cables installed, it looks like you would need 19 or 20 inches of clearance in the back for straight out cables.

Quote:

cobra pa is right it measures from the knobs to rear of speaker posts and with banna plughs and other connections you need the extra room. Mine is on top shelf open all around.

Thank you both for the information. My concern was chassis to chassis. My audio cabinet shelf allows for over hang of the knob which gives me extra inch. I know for sure I will get the http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086352.html to cool the Onkyo. When my check comes, I will be getting that Newegg price. I think I will get the extended warranty to give me peace of mind. It looks like I will be joining the Onkyo ranks.

post #832 of 8667 Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:

Thank you both for the information. My concern was chassis to chassis. My audio cabinet shelf allows for over hang of the knob which gives me extra inch. I know for sure I will get the http://www.coolerguys.com/840556086352.html to cool the Onkyo. When my check comes, I will be getting that Newegg price. I think I will get the extended warranty to give me peace of mind. It looks like I will be joining the Onkyo ranks.

Just watch out. As I tried to say in the earlier post, the bottom of the Onkyo extends as far as the knob. The knob isn't the furthest point on the front. The lower door at the hinge extends as far as the knob (so I don't think you can have the overhang you would like.)
post #833 of 8667 Old 10-24-2010, 04:59 AM

Thank you for reiterating about the door. I will double check my shelf.

post #834 of 8667 Old 10-24-2010, 06:53 AM

ElDiablos, be aware that unless you have an open-back cabinet that you will also have to accound for the length of RCA connections, HDMI, etc when the AVR is pushed all the way back into the cabinet once everything is connected. This added about 1" to 2" to the depth for me, since I'm using some heavier cables with locking RCA connections, and some heavier speaker cables with banana plugs that stick straight back (no L-connectors.)
I ran into a similar issue when I looked at buying the 5008 and tried to find an under-TV shelving unit to hold my componts. Nobody makes shelves as deep as this monster. I'd even built my own AV rack to hold very large gear some years back, and this barely fit my AV rack as well.

As for the amplifier on the AVR driving 2-channels versus 5+ channels, just keep in mind that the amplifier section, wile very good for an AVR, is still using a common power supply (as opposed to individual completely isolated monoblocks) so whether driving 2 or 9 channels, that one Toroidal Xfmr is supplying the juice for the channels in use. As such, the less strain you put on that power supply, the more headroom it's going to have, the less heat it's going to generate, and so forth. That's the simple answer to it's ability to drive your rears using an external amp for the front 3 channels.

Personally, I'm using Adcom GFA-5x5II series amplifiers to handle everything for my living room with the 5008, and just using the Onkyo's own amplification section for zone 2. I'll admit though, that I'm using low impedance loudspeakers, and the external amplifiers are just a better solution for this setup than any AVR would be. That isn't the case for everybody.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #835 of 8667 Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 PM

Yeah talked it over with the girlfriend. I had two choices. Cut out the back of my current cabinet (Tech Craft SF50) or get a new audio cabinet. We decided to get http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051CFR1...tab=review#tab After the first problem being I would of had to reinforce the shelf (40lb max weight), and then now cutting out the back, it is just better to replace the rack. I have friend ready to buy my old one. I figure the Sanus is about 24 inches deep inside with 18 inch and 80lb max weight shelves. I am sure the Onkyo will be able to fit in this one. I also figure in a couple more months, I'm going to be adding a 5 channel amp which would of caused extra issues as amps tend to be heavy also. Thank you guys for catching the size issue. It saved me some annoyances.

I agree, no receiver can compare with a stand alone amp in it's abilities to drive speakers. I think though the Onkyo will be able to drive the 4 surrounds with little trouble.

post #836 of 8667 Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Eldiablos,

Looks like you've settled in on the TX-NR5008. All the best and I look forward to your comments. Have you ordered it yet?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #837 of 8667 Old 10-24-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Eldiablos,

Looks like you've settled in on the TX-NR5008. All the best and I look forward to your comments. Have you ordered it yet?

Willie

Yeah I am pretty settled on the Onkyo. I don't see getting the A100 at the price I would expect and I can get the Onkyo for a very decent price. I haven't ordered yet, I'm waiting for my bonus check that is coming very soon. I will definitely give a full review of whatever receiver I get.

post #838 of 8667 Old 10-25-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the items I have noticed with both the 4311 and Onkyo 5008. I my Picture is both sharper and cleaner, and seems brighter with both these units. Could be Placebo, or something with the HDIM 1.4a bandwith. Has anyone with the unit noticed this.

post #839 of 8667 Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
There is no difference in bandwidth between 1.3a and 1.4a in current implementations.

Quote:

One of the items I have noticed with both the 4311 and Onkyo 5008. I my Picture is both sharper and cleaner, and seems brighter with both these units. Could be Placebo, or something with the HDIM 1.4a bandwith. Has anyone with the unit noticed this.

post #840 of 8667 Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 AM

To all you Onkyo users, I have been doing research on a new avr and the Onkyo 3008 is in my sights, I have always had Marantz receivers from my 2252 still in use to my my current SR8500, in 7.1 setup, are there any members out there that could compare the sound and head room(power) going from the Marantz over to the Onkyo.
Thanks,

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page