post #8641 of 8668 Old 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I run 2 fans on my 5008 and it is cool to the touch and they have been there from day 1. The problem and re-occurring problem (my unit has been repaired 3 times.mad.gif) is not heat related. I just didn't like the idea of my unit feeling like a radiator though it was designed to endure this heat.
I wonder why some people have the problem numerous times and others don't? Is it just bad luck or some other factor?

I bought my 5008 in 2010. First began seeing problems mid-2012. Sent in for warranty repair twice (not because it failed again. The first time, they installed a 3008 board which is missing the rear USB port which I happen to use. I had to send it in yet again to get the correct 5008 board put in). Got it back Oct 2012 and have been using it every week since. I DID upgrade the fan I previously had on it to THIS setup

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K3DM2G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2F13KK758WMXQ

Reduced the hidden menu temps from low 40's C with the previous fan to mid-20's C.

I don't remember if you ever checked your 5008's internal temps?

To access it,
On the front of the unit,
Press and hold 'Display'
Then press 'Standby/Power' and release both
Press Tone

This will pull up a display that reads something like
V: >00 F:x S:L
T: 027

The T: 027 is the temperature of my unit in Celsius/Centigrade.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 8668 Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

I wonder why some people have the problem numerous times and others don't? Is it just bad luck or some other factor?
I would be worried if they failed with the same problem over and over...
I just had my PCB board replaced on my 3008 and I am hoping I won't experience the no audio problem again.
post #8643 of 8668 Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

I would be worried if they failed with the same problem over and over...
I just had my PCB board replaced on my 3008 and I am hoping I won't experience the no audio problem again.
I would be worried too, which is why Im trying to figure out why some folks have had the same problem/repair multiple times while most folks who've had the problem have only had one repair.

From all the comments in the various threads about the HDMI problems, ~18 months seems to be the most common timeframe at which owners began seeing the issue. I'm just over that window from my repair and I'm wondering if my 5008 will begin acting up again.

Is it a potentially inevitable failure? Is it just bad luck for some folks? Or are there potentially certain factors that can increase/reduce the chances of it happening?

Since we're all aware that the problem is related to the BGA chips on the board (eg. baking the card temporarily restores functonality), it means heat is one factor (but we don't know how many other factors there are).

If we could determine if there's a safe threshold for the internal temps, maybe existing owners could take preventative steps to greatly decrease their potential probability of being afflicted.

Apparently though, entering the code to pull up the internal temps is not something that most folks have any interest in doing, because I've posted the directions many times, but few owners ever bother to follow the 3 button pushes to report their unit temps.

Here are the directions again:
On the front panel of the avr
- press and hold Display
- while pressing Display, press the Standby/Power button and release both
- press Tone

The internal temps are the 2nd line displayed in Celsius/Centigrade as
T: 027
meaning my unit's internal temp is 27c.

Max

Max
post #8644 of 8668 Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Chen View Post

Add cooler master CMC1 fan to enforce 5008 heat cooling.
I'd like to update my actions for the heat of 5008.
I replaced to cooler master CMC3 for lower noise with 20cm fan.
Although the air flow decreased from CMC1 91cfm to CMC3 72cfm.

And the air flow is from 5008 up to CMC3.
But the internal temp just down around ~45 highest after high loading with push only four surround chanels.

The second action is conducted the main heat source from the preamp board just below the HDMI board. There are two heat sinks with extremely high heat on the preamp board. Someone also from Taiwan told that add two plate to conduct out the heat to outside of amp no just accumulated heat below the HDMI board to damage the chips . He did this way over two years since fist repair HDMI board.

The third action is add heat sinks on all the chips on the HDMI board.
Hope my 5008 can be used as long as possible cause I bought it from USA ,so without any warranty here.

[URL=http://www.myav.com.tw/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246249]MyAVtheater@MyAV[/URL]

[URL=http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=348&t=3791378&p=1]@mobile01[/URL]
ONKYO TX-NR5008/BDP-S780/Mitsubishi HC7900DW
FRONT/CANTER: KLIPSCH KL-650-THX-R / L
SURROUND : KLIPSCH KS-525-THX
SURROUND...

post #8645 of 8668 Old 05-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Yay, I joined the club of 3008 owners with bad hdmi board. Classic video but no audio, greyed out network and firmware menu. Sigh. Really debated the Onkyo vs Marantz, guess I choose wrong. So, I will be calling Onkyo on Monday. I already have fans on the equipment, guess I will be adding more. What do you guys think about using an external amp to keep things cooler? Really don't want to go to a different brand because then I would have to pay to have our control system reprogrammed.
post #8646 of 8668 Old 05-17-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

Yay, I joined the club of 3008 owners with bad hdmi board. Classic video but no audio, greyed out network and firmware menu. Sigh. Really debated the Onkyo vs Marantz, guess I choose wrong. So, I will be calling Onkyo on Monday. I already have fans on the equipment, guess I will be adding more. What do you guys think about using an external amp to keep things cooler? Really don't want to go to a different brand because then I would have to pay to have our control system reprogrammed.

As has been stated on here many times... there is a fault in the design/production of some of the HDMI boards. If it goes, it goes. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Running some type of cooling fans is not a cure. Is it beneficial in keeping the board and solder connections from the tremendous temperature swings between standby and running?... Yes, very much so. But, adding more fans shouldn't be considered a fix.

The vast majority of the heat is coming from the processing chips and not from the amp section itself, so adding an external amp would not be as beneficial from lowering the heat buildup as you might think. Just take notice of how warm the receiver gets when you accidentally leave it on, but are not actually listening to any music or sound. The only way the amp section really starts kicking out heat is if you are really listening at very high levels for extended periods...and at that point, there actually is an internal fan that kicks in to cool the amp section.....

I would only add an amp for other performance reasons... If your service center puts in the actual new replacement HDMI board, you really shouldn't have to worry about any other problems. The other known issue wasn't nearly as prevalent, but occurred when excessive conductive lubricant was sloppily installed at the time of assembly of the receiver. Its symptoms consisted of the receiver not responding to the remote control and the random cycling of inputs on its own. The fix entailed replacing some harnesses and connectors...
Schwa and ILOVEMYHDTV like this.
post #8647 of 8668 Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks just a thought. Somewhat difficult to sort through 289 pages. Can anyone tell me how long it took to get approval to be covered under warranty and how long the repair takes? I submitted receipt and information to Onkyo this am.
post #8648 of 8668 Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

Thanks just a thought. Somewhat difficult to sort through 289 pages. Can anyone tell me how long it took to get approval to be covered under warranty and how long the repair takes? I submitted receipt and information to Onkyo this am.
It didn't take long for approval for me. Within a few days after emailing the receipt (3?).

Repairs on the other hand depend on the service center. Each time I sent mine in took about 2 weeks. I'd send it in, they'd diagnose the issue, send Onkyo the part request, wait for the board to be shipped and arrive. No avr for 2 weeks. Screwed up my first repair. Had to send it in again. No avr for 2 more weeks.

Max
post #8649 of 8668 Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. Looks like no theater for better part of a month. No fun.
post #8650 of 8668 Old 05-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Turned on my 3008 today (it had been unused for a couple days since I was out of town), and there is NO sound whatsoever. Not one of the 3 DirecTV receivers, the Blu-Ray DVD player or CD player emits any sound through the Onkyo. Could this be the problem to which folks here have been referring?
post #8651 of 8668 Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

So, if my problem is, in fact, the dreaded HDMI board problem, I'm faced with shipping it to Onkyo for repairs. I've had the unit for, I think 4 1/2 years (might be 3 1/2), so do I spend the time and money to get it fixed? I DO have the ability to get this receiver brand new from my buddy at ABT, for $1400:

Yamaha AVENTAGE Black Network AV Receiver - RX-A3030BL

Do I just accept finality of my 3008 and make a new investment, or do I get the current one fixed? One thing that may factor into my decisions is that I use my home theater system a lot, and with a friend in town for a few weeks, being without a main A/V to process the sound would not be good.

Any suggestions? Comments? Complaints? LOL

Feel free to opine.
post #8652 of 8668 Old 05-31-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

So, if my problem is, in fact, the dreaded HDMI board problem, I'm faced with shipping it to Onkyo for repairs. I've had the unit for, I think 4 1/2 years (might be 3 1/2), so do I spend the time and money to get it fixed? I DO have the ability to get this receiver brand new from my buddy at ABT, for $1400:

Yamaha AVENTAGE Black Network AV Receiver - RX-A3030BL

Do I just accept finality of my 3008 and make a new investment, or do I get the current one fixed? One thing that may factor into my decisions is that I use my home theater system a lot, and with a friend in town for a few weeks, being without a main A/V to process the sound would not be good.

Any suggestions? Comments? Complaints? LOL

Feel free to opine.

If you have the original sales receipt yet, then Onkyo will repair it for you out of warranty for the HDMI board problem. Why would not spend a few bucks( just for shipping) and get a fully functioning receiver again at which point you should be able to sell it for a hell of lot more than your shipping cost investment and help defray the cost of an alternative receiver? Just junking it for a problem that Onkyo is still willing to service out of warranty makes no sense.... Wanting to get another model receiver in the meantime though, I totally get.....
post #8653 of 8668 Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
if i am correct original receipt and from AUTHORIZE dealer...depending on service center; 2-6 weeks.

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #8654 of 8668 Old 06-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

If you have the original sales receipt yet, then Onkyo will repair it for you out of warranty for the HDMI board problem. Why would not spend a few bucks( just for shipping) and get a fully functioning receiver again at which point you should be able to sell it for a hell of lot more than your shipping cost investment and help defray the cost of an alternative receiver? Just junking it for a problem that Onkyo is still willing to service out of warranty makes no sense.... Wanting to get another model receiver in the meantime though, I totally get.....

Therein lies the problem. I'm going to have to try and find the receipt. If I can't, it sounds like I might be S.O.L.
post #8655 of 8668 Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Therein lies the problem. I'm going to have to try and find the receipt. If I can't, it sounds like I might be S.O.L.
If it's from an authorized store, chances are, you can get them to reprint a receipt for you.

Max
post #8656 of 8668 Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

if i am correct original receipt and from AUTHORIZE dealer...depending on service center; 2-6 weeks.

Well, the audio appears to be totally dead now. It was off and on the last few days, working only after I unplugged the unit then reconnected it. Now even that doesn't work. I found the receipt, so I'm going to ship it to Onkyo. Does anyone have a contact number for Onkyo so I can call them regarding this issue?
post #8657 of 8668 Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #8658 of 8668 Old 06-03-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Well, the audio appears to be totally dead now. It was off and on the last few days, working only after I unplugged the unit then reconnected it. Now even that doesn't work. I found the receipt, so I'm going to ship it to Onkyo. Does anyone have a contact number for Onkyo so I can call them regarding this issue?

Hi Lord Vader, a few members has had success getting Onkyo to provide a one time warranty repair even when the unit is out of warranty.

Email your issue to jose.torres@us.Onkyo.com. Provide information of the original receipt and the unit serial number.

Hope this helps, good luck.
ILOVEMYHDTV likes this.
post #8659 of 8668 Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Lord Vader, a few members has had success getting Onkyo to provide a one time warranty repair even when the unit is out of warranty.

Email your issue to jose.torres@us.Onkyo.com. Provide information of the original receipt and the unit serial number.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks, I'll do that. BTW, the unit's audio DID come back after numerous unplug/plug-ins attempts, and since then, I've left it on when turning off everything else. Until I disconnect it to return it to José, I'm gonna leave it on so it works. tongue.gif
post #8660 of 8668 Old 07-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Thumbs down

Third time around. HDMI board failed. Sent message to guy on eBay to see if he will repair board he replaced a year ago.
post #8661 of 8668 Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

José from Onkyo Emailed me the name of a LOCAL Onkyo service center, located about 9 miles from where I live. So, three weeks ago today I dropped it off. It took them TWO WEEKS--ugh--to even look at it. However, as of this past Tuesday, they told me the HDMI board was on order, should arrive "soon," and that I would probably be able to pick it up sometime next week. I hope.
post #8662 of 8668 Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately there aren't any repair facilities around here. I'm not about to pack this thing up for shipping either. It is just too big and heavy to mess with. Fortunately I have an SR707 to use for the time being. Will go with another manufacturer sometime in the future. Hopefully someone will get a class action lawsuit going since Onkyo thinks it is ok to keep producing junk. Maybe Dave will come through and repair the board he sent me one year ago.
post #8663 of 8668 Old 07-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

You have to put a value on your time and efforts. If I were you, I'd stop going the ebay route, which obviously hasn't worked consistently well, and simply pack it and ship it to Onkyo. They'll replace it with an HDMI board and you'll be back up and running.

The receiver may be "big and heavy," but having Onkyo repair it is, IMHO, much more preferable than going with the board only replacement from some guy on ebay.
post #8664 of 8668 Old 07-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Ive had the hdmi board replaced on my 3008 in warranty once (6 mo. Old), went bad about 2 years later and so i sent to a guy on ebay that had good feedback, worked for 3 months, now it has stopped again (the ebay guy wont return any of my emails even though i just asked his advice and not for a refund or to have it fixed again), Onkyo is going to have me ship it to them now. I bought another receiver in the meantime and will sell this one after onkyo refurbs it. Assuming all goes well, how much should i sell it for? Im done with onkyo.
post #8665 of 8668 Old 07-19-2014, 01:53 PM

Liked: 0
Hello All,

I'm running a 3008 with Zone 1: Magnepan 2.7s (4 ohm) and Zone 2: PSB CS 1000s (nominal 8 ohm, min 6 ohm)

If I set the 3008 at 4 ohms, what problems could occur with the receiver or the PSBs?

Thanks to all!
Mark
post #8666 of 8668 Old 07-19-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There will be no problems, but there is also no need to use the 4 ohm setting.... It simply essentially halves your available power. Use the normal 6+ ohm setting. If under your normal usage, the receiver goes into protect mode, then switch to 4 ohm as a temporary measure until you get an external amp for the Maggie's...
post #8667 of 8668 Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks Deano. The amp/speaker power relationship is still confusing, but i'm glad to have the answer.
post #8668 of 8668 Old 07-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

sooooo, even though they fixed my txnr5008, but it taken 2 times. my txnr5009 toke it dump for the second time. Firmware incompatibility, they did a reset, now even though they sent it back with the latest. That DTS-HD chirp is back and depending on its mood it will shut down the amps. So their sending a empty box, to send it to THEM. So we shall see....

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page