New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #901 of 8674 Old 10-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After setting up the new 3008 and going though the Audyssey setup i found out that my right surround channel produces quite an audible hiss anytime the receiver picks up an audio source. My 2 main sources are BD-DVD and HTPC both connected through HDMI. Also the same channel produces a static click every time the source changes.

I did eliminate all the possibilities of faulty wires, speakers, tried different sources - the hiss and clicks are there.

Any ideas? Should I RMA the thing and get a replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8674 Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbohdpukc View Post

After setting up the new 3008 and going though the Audyssey setup i found out that my right surround channel produces quite an audible hiss anytime the receiver picks up an audio source. My 2 main sources are BD-DVD and HTPC both connected through HDMI. Also the same channel produces a static click every time the source changes.

I did eliminate all the possibilities of faulty wires, speakers, tried different sources - the hiss and clicks are there.

I would while you can. I have 5008 no static hiss and only click light from unit itself on changing listening modes and imputs very light it is the relays in the unit same on the ly 5007 I had. some people annoyed by them does not bother me. I think there was some static issues a bit back on the later ly models, not sure bout any this year.

post #903 of 8674 Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

xbohdpukc,

If possible I would send you unit back to the vendor as defective. This way the vendor pays the return shipping and you get a new unit. If you RMA the unit won't Onkyo have you pay the outbound shipping (50+ lbs)? It's quite possible that some or all of these anomalies may be exclusive to your unit.

I am still amazed at how much variation in operation that components are from owner to owner and it is not exclusive to Onkyo.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #904 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

xbohdpukc,

If possible I would send you unit back to the vendor as defective. This way the vendor pays the return shipping and you get a new unit. If you RMA the unit won't Onkyo have you pay the outbound shipping (50+ lbs)? It's quite possible that some or all of these anomalies may be exclusive to your unit.

I am still amazed at how much variation in operation that components are from owner to owner and it is not exclusive to Onkyo.

Willie

Willie:

You are quite right. Some seem to get perfect units some not so. A lot of times the cause can and seems to be directed at the HDMI and the abiltity to handshake with different source units. Especially cable boxes and PVR's.

I found in my inital experience with a 5007 last year I had several early issues. Most were corrected by firmware, and One by resetting my cable pvr as per instructions from the local service center. Those fixes took care of all except I also had a bad HDMI capacitor in the sub out and that was repaired over night by ONkyo. But with the kind of issues this user is having I definately would return it for an exchange as it seems this is not a common issue in the unit.

post #905 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 01:17 PM

okay then, gonna return it to Newegg... damn it, they want me to pay the shipping for returning the defective unit though... not good.
post #906 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

okay then, gonna return it to Newegg... damn it, they want me to pay the shipping for returning the defective unit though... not good.

xbohdpukc,

Very unfortunate that they have the customer pay return shipping on a DEFECTIVE product. I know Newegg has fantastic pricing, but come on.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #907 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and this is my first post so I hope it helps.

I just bought a onkyo tx-nr3008 receiver and would really like to know if there is a way that I can stream my videos from my home network (connected an ethernet cable to receiver from router) stored on my pc? Also, can I watch videos saved on an external HDD? I Have a PS3 and use ps3 media server a lot, but that is in a different room and not linked to the receiver. Is there anything similar to that for the receiver?

Thanks for the help. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Andrew
post #908 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 PM

Liked: 11
As an owner of a TX-NR3008 unit myself, I've been reading many of the pages since the units were released at the end of August, and is it me or too many times do people mention "return it, you have a defective unit"...

I don't think it's possible to have so many defective high-end units... Think about it guys...

Just read the past pages for yourself, you'll notice how many times the "bring it back, it's probably defective"....

I just think there are still firmware bugs (minor at this point) that need to be ironed out.

I for example, have been experiencing digital snow appearing on the screen when switching HDMI inputs or when switching from the Onkyo's setup menu back to either blu-ray or tv program I'm watching... All that to realize that it's probably just an HDMI handshake issue because I have a Panasonic TC-PVT25 plasma, and apparently many people with Onkyo units and Panasonic plasmas have been having this same issue even with the X007 models...

Has anyone returned a "defective" unit yet and got a new one in and noticed a difference?

I'm just curious...
post #909 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevee View Post

As an owner of a TX-NR3008 unit myself, I've been reading many of the pages since the units were released at the end of August, and is it me or too many times do people mention "return it, you have a defective unit"...

I don't think it's possible to have so many defective high-end units... Think about it guys...

Just read the past pages for yourself, you'll notice how many times the "bring it back, it's probably defective"....

I just think there are still firmware bugs (minor at this point) that need to be ironed out.

I for example, have been experiencing digital snow appearing on the screen when switching HDMI inputs or when switching from the Onkyo's setup menu back to either blu-ray or tv program I'm watching... All that to realize that it's probably just an HDMI handshake issue because I have a Panasonic TC-PVT25 plasma, and apparently many people with Onkyo units and Panasonic plasmas have been having this same issue even with the X007 models...

Has anyone returned a "defective" unit yet and got a new one in and noticed a difference?

I'm just curious...

I have had my 3008 for about 3 weeks, and also have mine connected to a Panasonic plasma with no issues. I get a black screen for a couple of seconds when first powering up. The 3008 will read "no signal" from the Tivo, but after the initial startup everything works great. I could probably set the Haramony to first turn on the Tivo, then amp and tv, but a second or two is not a big deal to me.
post #910 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just curious...

As I mentioned in my post above last year when the 007 series was introduced there were many issues firmware related taken care of quite quickly. There were a lot due to user miss direction and than a number were related to some bad units. Most times a firmware issue is usually related to a gerneral problem such as the panny issue. And some were because of defects in the units. In the defective cases some usere reported being without their unit for some time. While this user feels his unit is defective and it will cost some for shipping My opinion would be to exchange it while he has the opportunity. If the replacement has the same issue than It is firmware or handshaking issue or at leas than he has the warranty. But when you spend this kind of $ today you really are entitled to a rather trouble free item. Just my .02.

post #911 of 8674 Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

But when you spend this kind of $ today you really are entitled to a rather trouble free item. Just my .02.

I agree with you. You are totally right.

We we spend our hard earned money on some mid to high-end equipment, we expect quality and reliability.

It's my first experience with an Onkyo product, and up to now it's not TOO bad (only the digital snow issue) but compared to my previous Pioneer Elite SC-37 (who had zero bugs), and Marantz SR-5003 (who had zero bugs), it's a bit disapointing...

Oh and that relay clicking thing... My Pioneer and Marantz never did that, so why can't Onkyo get that straightened out? What don't they understand?

Although compared to my friends TX-NR807 receiver, my TX-NR3008 clicks are barely audible, very subtle. But you still hear them.

My friend's NR807 clicks with an attitude! AHHAHA
post #912 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 AM

I have the same problem and when I disable Audyssey as the eq it goes away. any ideas
Thanks
post #913 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprager View Post

I have the Onkyo 5008 and I get a speaker pop every time I change channels. I have DirecTV (HR24). Can anyone else with both the 5008 or 3008 and DirecTV tell me if this is a function of the DirecTV receivers working with the Onkyo.?

Sorry should have quoted the msg. I have a Shaw (CDN) DVR
post #914 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The clicking is the nature of the beast. But in a proper unit they should be quite low as stated above.
The audyssey issue above is not normal. If it goes away when audyssey is turned off. I would rerun again, check wire and mike out, call Onkyo if you can get to level 2 tech or if you can I would exchange the unit. My only issue with the 5008 it cannot do 11.2 but having tried the denon 4311 I would rather have the 5008 with all else it has to offer.

post #915 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

xbohdpukc,

Very unfortunate that they have the customer pay return shipping on a DEFECTIVE product. I know Newegg has fantastic pricing, but come on.

Willie

I agree but Newegg does offer great pricing, and are authorized Onkyo resellers. I saw my unit this week Lower than I paid for it and I asked Newegg for the difference. They said that that is not their policy but as a new customer they would offer a $25.00 credit. At least they did something. As my unit works very well I decided not to be stuborn and am keeping it. The above user might want to write and or call and see if they would help with the shipping. Even Onkyo CSR makes you pay for shipping back for repaier. I think most vendors do.

post #916 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Check to see if you have a local service center first. It often is faster an you don't have to pack it up and ship it. I had to do this with a brand new unit with a bad HDMI board. They cram so much good stuff in these boxes that there are bound to be some issues. One of my limiting factors when buying one o these super receivers was a qualified local service center. I did almost as much research in them as I did on the receiver!
post #917 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just curious...

Orangevee,

I think people should return an item if they are not happy with it. If I spend $1.5K - $2K, I expect the component to work and if it doesn’t it shouldn’t be firmware related in my opinion. It’s ridiculous in 2010 that components require so many firmware updates to work properly. As far as AVRs I think we are asking them to do too much.

I can agree with your firmware theory IF owners are experiencing the same problem or the issues may be setup related, but if people are experiencing issues (Panasonic plasma) that were discovered with the previous model year, then that is unacceptable. The Panasonic issue isn't even consistent. People spend good money for these components and they should work out of the box for the most part. We shouldn't lump most issues into the firmware category and manufacturers should stop rushing products to market before they are ready. The general public shouldn't be beta testers unless they volunteered.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #918 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree with you. You are totally right.

We we spend our hard earned money on some mid to high-end equipment, we expect quality and reliability.

It's my first experience with an Onkyo product, and up to now it's not TOO bad (only the digital snow issue) but compared to my previous Pioneer Elite SC-37 (who had zero bugs), and Marantz SR-5003 (who had zero bugs), it's a bit disapointing...

Oh and that relay clicking thing... My Pioneer and Marantz never did that, so why can't Onkyo get that straightened out? What don't they understand?

Although compared to my friends TX-NR807 receiver, my TX-NR3008 clicks are barely audible, very subtle. But you still hear them.

My friend's NR807 clicks with an attitude! AHHAHA

Orangevee,

It's interesting how some manufacturers get it right and others don't and I am not picking on Onkyo. I presently have a Marantz SR7002 and it has performed without issue since day one. Why can't Onkyo figure out this clicking issue since it goes across several model years?

You probably posted this early, but why did you get rid of the Pioneer?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #919 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree but Newegg does offer great pricing, and are authorized Onkyo resellers. I saw my unit this week Lower than I paid for it and I asked Newegg for the difference. They said that that is not their policy but as a new customer they would offer a $25.00 credit. At least they did something. As my unit works very well I decided not to be stuborn and am keeping it. The above user might want to write and or call and see if they would help with the shipping. Even Onkyo CSR makes you pay for shipping back for repaier. I think most vendors do.

william06,

I've purchased other items (small) from Newegg, but I wasn't aware that they make the buyer pay for return shipping on a potentially defective unit. I can see them requiring the buyer to pay return shipping for buyers remorse, but on this unit you are asking the buyer to eat $50+ dollars. I know most manufacturers require the owner to pay shipping on warranty related repairs, but not all.

I'm just glad that Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Onkyo all have authorized service centers within 15 miles of my home.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #920 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:

I have another question. I noticed that my subwoofer plays less loud than it used to on my Pioneer (and I love bass).

I'm wondering if that has anything to do with Audyssey asking me to adjust my subwoofer's gain to 75db before running MultEQ??? I had to turn the gain knob down compared to where it was before with the MCACC...

The sub bass was a bit too low for my liking, so I upped the level from -8.0dB to -5.0dB after Audyssey. It's still not enough bass for my taste (and apparently it's not good to boost the sub level more than 3.0dB as that already doubles output)...

What can I do to get more bass?

I used to love the way my ultra powerful SVS PB13-Ultra played on the Pioneer receiver...

As far as speakers go, my new Totem Model-1 Signature fronts and centers (Totem Mite rears) play amazingly on the Audyssey!

You can change sub play back levels in set up. This will over ride Audyssey setting....by the by I can't get over how much better my speakers sound, smile.

Want What Why
post #921 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:

You probably posted this early, but why did you get rid of the Pioneer?

Because the Onkyo/Integra lines of receivers are a better match for my speakers (there is a very big audible difference between the more digital sound of the Pioneer and the warmer sound of the Onkyo).

Also, the Pioneer, although it can handle 4-ohm loads according to bench tests, it is not "officially" rated as supporting 4-ohm loads and my speakers are 4-ohm so it was a mental stress for me.

Finally, the major factor that made me get the Onkyo was because of all the Audyssey technology. I just feel it's superior to my ears compared to Pioneer's MCACC. Plus, I like the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, which Pioneer doesn't offer (other than a volume spike limiting feature)...

But don't get me wrong, the Pioneer was a great unit and had ZERO bugs...
post #922 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:

People spend good money for these components and they should work out of the box for the most part.

Believe me, I totally understand you.

My HT setup is currently worth in excess of 18,000$ so imagine the look on some friend's faces when they come over to see all this expensive gear and watch my 5,600$ 65 inch 3D Panasonic VT25 plasma have digital snow appear because of my 2,500$ Onkyo 3008 receiver... (CAD prices by the way)...

It ticks me off too.

But the Onkyo is a solid performer, no complaints there!
post #923 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
When I turn on my receiver, I often get a hiss (it's not loud but it is clearly audible) from the right wide speaker (or MAYBE it's the right speaker, but I think right wide) that lasts for about 10 seconds. It's pretty consistent each time I turn it on but also consistently disappears quickly. Should I be concerned?
post #924 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

william06,

I've purchased other items (small) from Newegg, but I wasn't aware that they make the buyer pay for return shipping on a potentially defective unit. I can see them requiring the buyer to pay return shipping for buyers remorse, but on this unit you are asking the buyer to eat $50+ dollars. I know most manufacturers require the owner to pay shipping on warranty related repairs, but not all.

I'm just glad that Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Onkyo all have authorized service centers within 15 miles of my home.

Willie

I also am glad that I have service centers for both Onkyo and Dennon within driving distance. In fact last year due to an issue they never saw they let me bring the 5007 to theyre NJ headuaters. But fixed overnight they would not let me pick it up and sent it Overnight to me No charge. The problem is today so much new tech and rusched out to keep up with competition that unfortunately some peices get over looked and sometimes general errors occur across the whole line. Such as Onkyos big bobo this year withe the xt32. It is not really right for Newegg or others like them to charge return shipping on a defective item but theyre prices are so low most times I can see why they do not. I do reccoment though prior to warranty repair returning items that seem not to be firmware related during the companies policy period, then follow up with MFG warranty.
By the way I do not miss the Denon 4311 at all this 5008 is a awesome beast. Everything I have put through it ( a lot) works great. This units ausxt32 seems to work much better with my speaker layout than the Denon.

post #925 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

When I turn on my receiver, I often get a hiss (it's not loud but it is clearly audible) from the right wide speaker (or MAYBE it's the right speaker, but I think right wide) that lasts for about 10 seconds. It's pretty consistent each time I turn it on but also consistently disappears quickly. Should I be concerned?

If this appears to be a problem with a couple of owners and not many I would exchange it just as a precaution. Rather safe than sorry later.

post #926 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way I do not miss the Denon 4311 at all this 5008 is a awesome beast. Everything I have put through it ( a lot) works great. This units ausxt32 seems to work much better with my speaker layout than the Denon.

William,

I am glad you are thoroughly enjoying the 5008. Prior to owning the 4311 were there any other AVRs that you were considering? Also, I find it interesting that Audyssey XT32 works better through the Onkyo than the Denon. Do you have any thoughts on why, because Audyssey should be doing the same thing in both AVRs and possible what you are hearing is your preference for the DAC implementation in the Onkyo vs Denon? Just a thought.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #927 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

William,

I am glad you are thoroughly enjoying the 5008. Prior to owning the 4311 were there any other AVRs that you were considering? Also, I find it interesting that Audyssey XT32 works better through the Onkyo than the Denon. Do you have any thoughts on why, because Audyssey should be doing the same thing in both AVRs and possible what you are hearing is your preference for the DAC implementation in the Onkyo vs Denon? Just a thought.

Willie

I had tried a Pioneer Elite sc-27 Just not what I remember of the several Elites I had owned in the past. I used to be a big Pio fan. Still make a nice unit and sounds decent but was not a keeper for me. I was happy with the Onkyo 5007 but like to expirement with the new tech as it comes along. The 5007 did not do the heights and wides at the same time. I sold it and was really going to get a Denon 4810 with its 11.3 but along came the 4311 with the 11.2 and multieq32 so there I went. I reset the audyssey three times. Worked fine with BD and dts-hd and true hd, but with ProII and other formats it sounded like an echo chamber. Also I felt the unit seemed tiny and more cheaply built compared to the Onkyo. I believe eventhough I use external amps with both the Onkyo has a more powerful and musical warm tone. I do believe you might have something with the DAC.s. I find I enjoy music more with the 5008. I might also be old fashioned but the Weight difference and size of the unit is also important to me. The weight means more than Iron legs etc. If using it and no externals the Amp power transformers etc mean a lot. The THX cert stands for something. Do not mean to go on. In answer to your question I did consider The Yamaha 3000 but too new and untried, and I was going to get the Integra 80.2 or Onkyo 5508 pre Pro but went with the 5008 if my ext amps go I have something to back them up.

post #928 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
William06 did you notice any improvement in sound quality going from the 5007 to the 5008. I currently have a 5007 i use external amps for all but the rear surround speakers. I would like the hdmi 1.4 on the 5008 for a soon to be 3d setup but i can work around that.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #929 of 8674 Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:

I have another question. I noticed that my subwoofer plays less loud than it used to on my Pioneer (and I love bass).

I'm wondering if that has anything to do with Audyssey asking me to adjust my subwoofer's gain to 75db before running MultEQ??? I had to turn the gain knob down compared to where it was before with the MCACC...

The sub bass was a bit too low for my liking, so I upped the level from -8.0dB to -5.0dB after Audyssey. It's still not enough bass for my taste (and apparently it's not good to boost the sub level more than 3.0dB as that already doubles output)...

What can I do to get more bass?

I used to love the way my ultra powerful SVS PB13-Ultra played on the Pioneer receiver...

As far as speakers go, my new Totem Model-1 Signature fronts and centers (Totem Mite rears) play amazingly on the Audyssey!

You can change sub play back levels in set up. This will over ride Audyssey setting....by the by I can't get over how much better my speakers sound with my 5008, smile.

Want What Why
post #930 of 8674 Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

William06 did you notice any improvement in sound quality going from the 5007 to the 5008. I currently have a 5007 i use external amps for all but the rear surround speakers. I would like the hdmi 1.4 on the 5008 for a soon to be 3d setup but i can work around that.

Yes I did the new audyssey xt32 makes my speakers sound better than ever and my subs also. I also notice an improvement in video although I just use the through setting might be placebo. If you can I would reccoment the change. I also love the H and w setting I use 4 speakers in the side and rear duplicating the surround l and r and do not miss the back setting seems audyssey covers for this. I saw new egg ran a great special on this unit over the weekend best price I have seen yet I think it might be over .

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page