New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #991 of 8674 Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just had the system calibrated with xt32. What a difference. Even at the lowest sound I can gear every bit of detail. Man I love these toys.

To compensate for the lack of airplay in this receiver I have added an airport express to the cd line and I get the same functionality. Worked pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 8674 Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM

After spending a few weeks fiddling with the latest Audyssey with an the Onkyo NR5008, I would like to note a few observations (only applies to 2 channel listening). And all comparisons were level matched.

Note:

My front wall (corners included) and side walls (first reflection point only) are well treated while about 25% of my back wall (half of one corner is treated) is treated. Finally, my ceiling is bare (sadly). All treatments are bass traps.

Here's my setup:
Accuphase DP57 -> Onkyo NR5008 -> Adam S3As and Velodyne DLS-5000R

Observations:

1) I find the NR5008 to sound sterile and dead sounding in contrast to the Accuphase DP57 with or without Audyssey engaged. It's surprising to find that the NR5008 and Accuphase to sound different with Audyssey engaged as when the Accuphase is used, it's analog signal has to go through Onkyo's ADC then DAC again which should make the Accuphase and Onkyo to sound identical. In fact, Accuphase's airiness carried over to the Onkyo even with Audyssey engaged.

2) After every calibration by Audyssey, I would measure the in room response with REW and RS SPL meter to see the FR from 20-800Hz. Audyssey always roll off my bass by about 5db so I always have to manually adjust my bass trim level after calibration to compensate for the roll off.

3) Audyssey successfully eliminated some bass peaks while the nulls were brought up by a few DBs which brought out more clarity in the bass region. I also noticed a minor improvement on soundstage depth.

4) This is where I find Audyssey unacceptable. On quite a few recordings with Audyssey engaged, I heard crackles (distortion) on my speakers on certain parts of the music which mostly happened on highs. I'm surprised by this since I know the Audyssey reference curve rolls off the highs.
post #993 of 8674 Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjaygee_13 View Post

Your media server needs to have DLNA for it to work. I have an Ubuntu box with DLNA installed that I use to store all my media and my 5008 detects it without any problems via the network.

I got DLNA to work out of WIN 7 (just a quick test)... I also have my WIN 7 computer hooked up to the 5008 via HDMI for a dual screen configuration....I think HDMI is how I'll connect to my computer.... hum is DLNA worth the learning curve?

BY THE BY I've had my 5008 for a few weeks WELL I am really HAPPY with it. Worth the money, smile. I'm bi-amping some 4 ohm speakers: BG Radia... they sound great played through the 5008.... Of course I'm messing with the SUBS and I am thinking about setting up B speakers through an external amp.... and so on.... there is no rest for those of us who have speaker madness, smile.

Want What Why
post #994 of 8674 Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Yes I agree I have it set the same way took a while but love it. adds a lot to bothe movies and music. great with action, and as you said I do not set it to rattel teeth.

Same here - well, except when pals come round

Kind Regards,

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #995 of 8674 Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Same here - well, except when pals come round

Kind Regards,

Keith

oh yeh got to shake them

post #996 of 8674 Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Has anyone had any problems with playing songs from their computers through the 3008? I have a 3008 and when I play songs from my computer through the network, it hesitates every so often. I have this unit and a Yamaha RX-A2000 at home right now trying them both out. The Yamaha has no problems playing from the network, but when I switch the network cable from the Yamaha to the 3008, every song, hesitates every so often.

I much prefer the sound from the Onkyo but like the functionality of the Yamaha. However, not knowing if the network issues is a fluke or not, I don't know if I should return the unit and forget about the Onkyo.

Any thoughts?
post #997 of 8674 Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd ener View Post
Has anyone had any problems with playing songs from their computers through the 3008? I have a 3008 and when I play songs from my computer through the network, it hesitates every so often. I have this unit and a Yamaha RX-A2000 at home right now trying them both out. The Yamaha has no problems playing from the network, but when I switch the network cable from the Yamaha to the 3008, every song, hesitates every so often.

I much prefer the sound from the Onkyo but like the functionality of the Yamaha. However, not knowing if the network issues is a fluke or not, I don't know if I should return the unit and forget about the Onkyo.

Any thoughts?
I have my 3008 connected to my router, and windows picked up the 3008 with no problems streaming songs from my computer. Sounds great.
post #998 of 8674 Old 11-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Can people confirm that the zone 3 + macro can make it so you effectively have a 12v trigger for the power amp??

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

post #999 of 8674 Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
When i connect my iPod through USB it works fine, no problems.
But when i put the receiver on standby and start up again it will not go to the last song played, it will start in the main iPod menu
When i use the Internet radio and do the same it will load the last station played

Why is this not working with the iPod ????
post #1000 of 8674 Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
maybe that's why Onkyo makes an iPod dock for the NR series receivers?
I don't know. I don't buy apple products.

-GlassWolf

post #1001 of 8674 Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Do you guys generally connect all your media devices to AV receiver and the output from that to TV? Or do you connect the devices to TV and just feed the sound signal from the TV to the receiver?
What's the recommended setup?
post #1002 of 8674 Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnirbanSarkar1 View Post
Do you guys generally connect all your media devices to AV receiver and the output from that to TV? Or do you connect the devices to TV and just feed the sound signal from the TV to the receiver?
I have all going through the receiver and two outputs one to HDMI to
DVI Older rear pj tv Toshiba. and sub 2 goes to a Epson 9500ub PJ full 1080p. I set the receiver on through and let the different monitors do the upscaling. Excep for the few times I use an LD player i use the custom setting on the Onkyo. No issues for me.

post #1003 of 8674 Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hoping some one can advice me on how to connect my PC (Win 7) via HDMI to my Onkyo 5008 to display on my Mitsubishi Laservue 3D HDTV. The picture will not show.

I basically want to use my HDTV as a PC Monitor, so I want to run my PC connection through the Onkyo so I can get surround sound through my home theater & picture on my HDTV screen.

I went into setup, selected PC & assigned it my remaining free HDMI inputs (4-7) when I reboot my PC I can only see the Win 7 logo (4 colorful balls rotating) but then the picture gets distorted, background turns burgundy & then there is no longer a display, goes back to a blank blue screen, & on the front of the Onkyo it shows "No signal" displayed.

Can a PC connect via HDMI to Onkyo to display on a HDTV?

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #1004 of 8674 Old 11-10-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSKILZ View Post

Hoping some one can advice me on how to connect my PC (Win 7) via HDMI to my Onkyo 5008 to display on my Mitsubishi Laservue 3D HDTV. The picture will not show.

I basically want to use my HDTV as a PC Monitor, so I want to run my PC connection through the Onkyo so I can get surround sound through my home theater & picture on my HDTV screen.

I went into setup, selected PC & assigned it my remaining free HDMI inputs (4-7) when I reboot my PC I can only see the Win 7 logo (4 colorful balls rotating) but then the picture gets distorted, background turns burgundy & then there is no longer a display, goes back to a blank blue screen, & on the front of the Onkyo it shows "No signal" displayed.

Can a PC connect via HDMI to Onkyo to display on a HDTV?

Yes it can. You need to set the correct resolution in your pc, start with 1024x768. Ideally you'll have to set it to 1920×1080 .
post #1005 of 8674 Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswolf View Post

i think 3d, and 11.2 is ridiculous unless you have a really large room for the extra speakers.. 3d doesn't do me any good as i have a bad eye and can't use those glasses anyway, and i still use 5.1 and it works fine in a 16x20' living room (yes, also with bi-pole rear speakers, although i have a second set, and tried dipole back surround and bipole surrounds, and didn't feel a massive improvement)

i'm still using a tv and avr from 2001 for one setup that does just fine. While i'm not ecstatic about an old rp crt television, it does the job at 1080i. It'd just be nice for convenience if i could run single cable hdmi for everything with that system.

lmao...I feel the same way cause I suffer from Astigmatism and 3D seems to enhance it
post #1006 of 8674 Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo Slumber View Post

lmao...I feel the same way cause I suffer from Astigmatism and 3D seems to enhance it

I am not a fan of 3d at home. But I love to play with all the 9.2 11.2 speaker set ups. I feel the difference is vast even on small movies with slight ambience. The Onkyo's with the xt32 definately brings out the detail better than ever before. These new fangled units have something for everyone and you can pick and choose your poison. I do like my music just 2 channel with sub. I listen to pandora direct sounds great.

post #1007 of 8674 Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare1 View Post
Yes it can. You need to set the correct resolution in your pc, start with 1024x768. Ideally you'll have to set it to 1920×1080 .
My PC resolution already was set to 1920x1080 on the 1080p PC Monitor I have, but for whatever reason, I can't get pic using HDMI through my Onkyo, but I do get picture if I bypass the Onkyo & connect the PC directly to my HDTV, so there seems to be an issue w/ the Onkyo.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #1008 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi folks,

Anybody else have problems with 24p content going through their receiver with a frequent stuttering? I find the only way to fix it is to use vcr/return to completely disable video processing. I would rather not have to do that but its the only thing that fixes it.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
post #1009 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

Hi folks,

Anybody else have problems with 24p content going through their receiver with a frequent stuttering? I find the only way to fix it is to use vcr/return to completely disable video processing. I would rather not have to do that but its the only thing that fixes it.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

I set my ONk on through I have had no problem with 24z at all. Some times on sd trying to force 24z you might get some jutter I have not had any of this on the 5008 I did on my 5007 ly. Your tv should be 1080p/24 capable too.

post #1010 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

My PC resolution already was set to 1920x1080 on the 1080p PC Monitor I have, but for whatever reason, I can't get pic using HDMI through my Onkyo, but I do get picture if I bypass the Onkyo & connect the PC directly to my HDTV, so there seems to be an issue w/ the Onkyo.

I was getting the blue screen when changing PC display resolution until I connected my PC with a new Belkin http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-HDMI-DV...9482382&sr=8-1 Now I can adjust display resolution up to the hightest my PC Display adapter allows 1920 x 1080. I keep it at 1024 x 768 so I can see things from 10ft away on my Panny TC-P58V10. My PC is running a Nvdia GE Force 7100 display adapter. My 5008 has the following settings:

Setup/Hardware Setup/Hdmi: Audio TV Out - Off, Dipsync - Disable, HDMI Control RIHD - Off

Home/Video: Wide mode - Full, Picture Mode - Custom

I would be sure you have the latest driver for your video card and try a different cable.

BTW unless you have a very sophisticated display adapter in your PC it is unlikely that you will be able to pass an audio signal across the HDMI cable. I upgraded the sound card in my PC to a HT | OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card and am using the optical out to pass 7.1 audio to the 5008. It sounds so much better than using the coaxial out on my PCs onboard sound which could only output a stereo signal.

What kind of display adapter is your PC using?
What kind of connection on the back of your PC(DVI/HDMI/?) are you using to go to the 5008?
What kind of cable are you using, does it use an adapter, is it rated for HDMI 1.4?
Have you tried the VGA input on the 5008?
Are you getting sound from the PC through the 5008?
Have you updated to the latest firmware?

David Ferebee
post #1011 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnirbanSarkar1 View Post

I am on my 4th AVR and have always connected everything to the Receiver and only connected Video out to the TV. All the audio from all sources is played through the speakers connected to the Receiver. The less physical connections the better(less chance of distortion and signal loss).

Now that my TV is network capable I run a optical cable from the TV to the Receiver so I can play sound from the TV's online applications through my HT speakers.

The cables on the back of my Panny are sparse, AC, HDMI in, Optical out! Don't look at the back of my receiver what a rats nest!

David Ferebee
post #1012 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
put video through the AVR if for no other reason than to access the on-screen display.

-GlassWolf

post #1013 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try a direct PC-TV connection for initial setup, not PC-monitor. The PC needs to read the TV's EDID.

In which order to you power on your components? Try TV, AVR, PC -- in that order (sink first and work back to source).
post #1014 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

I was getting the blue screen when changing PC display resolution until I connected my PC with a new Belkin http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-HDMI-DV...9482382&sr=8-1 Now I can adjust display resolution up to the hightest my PC Display adapter allows 1920 x 1080. I keep it at 1024 x 768 so I can see things from 10ft away on my Panny TC-P58V10. My PC is running a Nvdia GE Force 7100 display adapter. My 5008 has the following settings:

Setup/Hardware Setup/Hdmi: Audio TV Out - Off, Dipsync - Disable, HDMI Control RIHD - Off

Home/Video: Wide mode - Full, Picture Mode - Custom

I would be sure you have the latest driver for your video card and try a different cable.

BTW unless you have a very sophisticated display adapter in your PC it is unlikely that you will be able to pass an audio signal across the HDMI cable. I upgraded the sound card in my PC to a HT | OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card and am using the optical out to pass 7.1 audio to the 5008. It sounds so much better than using the coaxial out on my PCs onboard sound which could only output a stereo signal.

What kind of display adapter is your PC using?
What kind of connection on the back of your PC(DVI/HDMI/?) are you using to go to the 5008?
What kind of cable are you using, does it use an adapter, is it rated for HDMI 1.4?
Have you tried the VGA input on the 5008?
Are you getting sound from the PC through the 5008?
Have you updated to the latest firmware?

Discodol thanks for responding.

I have an ATI 5670 HD Graphics card, it's connected to my PC 26" 1080p Monitor/TV via HDMI. It has the latest drivers (Oct 2010) I'm using an HDMIv1.3 10 ft cable.
That's the original setup on my PC desktop, now instead of using my 26'' Monitor, I want to use my Mitsubishi 75" Laservue HDTV as the monitor & run my HDMI connection from my PC Tower through the Onkyo 5008 to get both the picture & audio on my Mits HDTV so on the days I want to sit on my sofa & use my PC on my Mits HDTV instead of the 26'' monitor.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #1015 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

just got off the phone w/ product support, the rep I spoke w/ claims it might be an issue w/ HDCP copy right protection for digital content & told me, analog will work fine, but not a digital connection like HDMI. Not sure how true that is?

Just seems like a lot of hassle, for that I guess I'll just bypass the Onkyo & connect my PC directly to the HDTV & as for audio, I would be forced to buy an audio card, b/c currently I am using the on-board audio of my Motherboard. I also have a ATI 5850 graphic card in the box waiting. My original plan was to build a 2nd PC to use in my home theater system, but times are hard. The 5850 can do High Definition Video & High Definition Audio via it's HDMI connection. Hmmmm decisions, decisions.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #1016 of 8674 Old 11-11-2010, 04:37 PM

I saw that some people are having trouble getting picture on their TV through the Onkyo. Have you gone into your video card's option menu, and set it for multiple displays? You should get options such as: One vertical or Horizontal display, clone (same on both), or Dualview (independent). You set up the primary and secondary monitor to your liking.

If you want to see full screen video on your TV and your desktop on the main monitor, you will probably need an older video card and older drivers to go with it. As somebody mentioned, you can't do this anymore due to Copyright laws. That is the exact reason why I still have my Nvidia 7900GS. Luckily, I saved my old drivers for future use.

My PC is connected to my 3008 with optical and HDMI/DVI cables. When both the 3008 and PC are off, I will usually have to go into nvidia's control panel and "set up multiple displays" the next time I turn them on. Until then, the 3008 will say "no signal", and I won't get audio or video.

When watching with a media player on another PC and my 807, I have to drag the media player onto the TV screen, and enable the media player's full-screen option.
post #1017 of 8674 Old 11-12-2010, 01:30 AM

I'd the same problems connecting pc with dvi to 3008. I bought an ASUS PCX EN250GTS HTDI, 1GB, connected it via hdmi without any problems. I can even pass audio through hdmi, work fine.
post #1018 of 8674 Old 11-12-2010, 06:53 AM

[quote=TMSKILZ;19473994]just got off the phone w/ product support, the rep I spoke w/ claims it might be an issue w/ HDCP copy right protection for digital content & told me, analog will work fine, but not a digital connection like HDMI. Not sure how true that is?

Can you pass HDMI from your PC through the Onkyo to the PC Monitor?

David Ferebee
post #1019 of 8674 Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi, is it possible to get cover art instade of the blue music bar i see now ?
I use a external USB HDD with MP3 songs.
Please explain how.......

Thx
post #1020 of 8674 Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

Hi,

I just got my 3008 and generally speaking am pretty happy. It replaces a 6 year old 702.

With the 702, I ran the Cable-DVR (Sammy TW), XBox 360, and Onkyo DVD through component and then component to a 55" Sammy LCD (A950).

With the 3008 I switched to all HDMI (except the Onkyo DVD which long predates HDMI).

I have the 3008 set to up-convert all signals to 1080p (DVD to 1080p/24). However, my TV reports the Cable-DVR as 1080i and the DVD as 480p. The TV does show the XBox 360, which outputs at 1080p, as 1080p. I would think if the 3008 was accurately up-converting, the TV should recognize the signal coming from the 3008 as 1080p, right?

Additionally, I seem to be getting quite a bit more video snow than I did with the 702. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page