Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1081 of 8670 Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My speakers are Axiom all the way around.. M60s in the front, but I also tried the VP150 (center channel) on that output and got the same results. I changed of everything between the AVR and the speaker, it's certainly the AVR that's introducing the noise (and not cable hum or speaker issues - if I put the L speaker in the center position (and hook it up to that channel), no problem at all)..

Oh well, not a huge deal, I'll get it worked out, got another one on the way now.. It's not terrible, I can still watch/enjoy movies, so at least I'm not crippled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
mjfink... what kind of speakers are you using for your L/R?

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 01:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink View Post

The XT32 with SubEQ is what pushed me to the 08 models, that's a big deal for me (saved me hundreds of bucks not having to get the SVS sub EQ). I could care less about 3D, that's a non-feature for me. But XT32 certainly was worth the additional price to me.

Now, the question is; what's that worth to you? If you're not looking to run dual subs, and don't care about the more advanced room correction, a 5007 looks like a great deal to me!

Here is what I have. Two rooms (actually one is hall connecting from down stairs to the second floor rooms).

Hall has set Sunfire's CRS3 on-wall mounted with pioneer 60" plasma. Plus one sub - REL 305. I have Onkyo's 3007 now there. Movies/music is about 95/5 here.

Second room is having same plasma, Heco Celan XT 701 with one REL-505. Still no AV receiver and no surrounds. Movies/music is planned to be about 70/30 here.

What I'm considering:

1. Get 5007 into second room and stop on this.
2. Get 3008 replacing 3007 in first room (hall) and temporary put 3007 in to the second room to wait until 5008's cost will go down to $2.5K and then get 5008 and sell 3007. So final will be 5008 with Heco and 3008 with Sunfires.
3. Get 5007 into second room to wait until 5008's cost will go down to $2.5K.
So final will be 5008 with Heco and 5007 with Sunfires.

I do not plan to have two subs in any of rooms. Please - give me some suggestions.
post #1083 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

@ALVI:

For me (and this is only for me), this is the singular question I would ask myself to separate the 07 from the 08..

"Do I need/want the more advanced room correction technology in the 08"?

If you don't, get the 07. If you do, get the 08.

However, the are other changes from 07 to 08, most of them just weren't important to me (3D, etc)..

Higher end room correction is always a "feature" that I want; it's very important to me to be able to correct my room, I find that makes more a difference than just about any other feature they put in an AVR.. But, again, that's just me!

post #1084 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:

@ALVI:

For me (and this is only for me), this is the singular question I would ask myself to separate the 07 from the 08..

"Do I need/want the more advanced room correction technology in the 08"?

If you don't, get the 07. If you do, get the 08.

However, the are other changes from 07 to 08, most of them just weren't important to me (3D, etc)..

Higher end room correction is always a "feature" that I want; it's very important to me to be able to correct my room, I find that makes more a difference than just about any other feature they put in an AVR.. But, again, that's just me!

You are right. I have the 5007 and I am delighted with it. I bought it at the end of the line and saved a fortune on it. But now I am about to drop several hundred bucks on the SVS AS-EQ1 to get the superior bass correction that the 5008 can do natively with MultEQ XT 32.

Even after buying the AS-EQ1 I am still financially on the right side, and the AS-EQ1 does things that the 5008's XT32 can't do (such as let me see the curves and print them out and so on) but if I was starting out again with this, I would spring the extra bucks for the 5008.

As you say, the room EQ is just about the most important extra feature there is and, for me anyway, it would direct me to the 5008.

HST, I am totally happy with my 5007/Emotiva XPA-3 combo and have no intention of changing the 5007 for a long time to come. To the OP - unless you can get the 5007 for an absolute steal (as I did), and if you have a faorly easy room and don't think you'll need advanced room EQ, I'd go for the 5008.

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1085 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I agree with both of you. The most important and most satisfactory thing to me in upgrading to the 5008 it the room eq. To me it was not subtle and now after playing around with locations my sound is the most amazing it has ever bee. I sold my 007 at a fairly good price. I tried a 4311 from denon for a short time and sold it. I do not want to dwell on why because some love it all issues etc The second most satisfying item on the 007 and 008s is the Height and Wides. I tried a couple of implimentations and have now set it up as it should backs fulll boat withchoice of heights or wides. I use mostly wides with the backs. Depends on source and software. But in either case either one of the units is great. I also have no need for 3d.

post #1086 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
I agree with both of you. The most important and most satisfactory thing to me in upgrading to the 5008 it the room eq. To me it was not subtle and now after playing around with locations my sound is the most amazing it has ever bee. I sold my 007 at a fairly good price. I tried a 4311 from denon for a short time and sold it. I do not want to dwell on why because some love it all issues etc The second most satisfying item on the 007 and 008s is the Height and Wides. I tried a couple of implimentations and have now set it up as it should backs fulll boat withchoice of heights or wides. I use mostly wides with the backs. Depends on source and software. But in either case either one of the units is great. I also have no need for 3d.
Yes - my Height speakers are there to stay! Fantastic difference to the overall sound. A low-cost upgrade if you have a 5007 or 5008. I can't accommodate both Wides and Heights so that isn't currently an issue for me. I believe that the room is one one the most important (but often forgotten) 'components' in the system and there's no doubt that 'tweaking the room' via MultEQ etc is a totally significant step to better sound.

One of the side benefits of using external amps, as someone recently touched on, is that it will make future AVR upgrades simpler and less costly - the external amp is there to stay, so the main considerations for replacing an AVR won't have to be centred on power amplification.

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #1087 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I believe that the room is one one the most important (but often forgotten) 'components' in the system and there's no doubt that 'tweaking the room' via MultEQ etc is a totally significant step to better sound.

I'd go further and say that; with the exception of VERY low end (think 100 dollar HTIB), the room is THE most important component in the system. A 200 dollar budget AVR with 500 bucks on speakers in a great room is going to sound better than a 25K system in a bad room.

Of course, you might spend 25K to get a great room (panels, traps, soft floors, etc).. And, I'm well aware that most people don't have dedicated theater/listening rooms. But spending a TON of money on amps/power conditioning/speakers to put them in a living room that's totally untreated? I understand why some people do it; but, in many cases, your 25K system in your living room would be eaten alive by a 2K system in a treated room..

All the things I've added to my system; the 2 biggest improvements (by a big stretch) were room treatments and room correction technology (Audessey, MDACC, etc).. Everything else has been marginal benefit (however, I haven't changed speakers, that can make a huge difference as well)...

Of course, I haven't bought any 10K HDMI cables yet, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

post #1088 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Man, the current crop of AVRs (the new ones for this year) are having their share of problems, aren't they? And rather serious ones too; amp hiss is pretty much unacceptable at the 1K+ AVR range. And Denon, with the HDMI dropouts? That's just unacceptable, even for a free AVR!

Wonder why this year is so bad.. Maybe they are just trying to pack too much into these models? There's not THAT much new technology between the 3007 and the 3008.. The Denon is another story (11.2), but, still, HDMI is HDMI; how do we suddenly no longer know how to keep sync on the video sources?

I feel like I'm in the HTPC forum with these issues/bugs! Sounds like a discussion around bitstreaming HD audio from a HTPC (those who read that forum will laugh!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Its a shame a few users have reported this on the 3008 hope your new one works fine. My 5008 never had this issue.

post #1089 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
Well.....after I had definately made up my mind to go with a Denon 4311......I once again read the "blue rain" problems that reciever seems plagued with and once again came back to Onkyo (3008) and so I couldn't change my mind again.....this time I bought it (should be here tomorrow).

My programmable universal remote has the 3007 - I hope I can use those codes here.
post #1090 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtn View Post

Well.....after I had definately made up my mind to go with a Denon 4311......I once again read the "blue rain" problems that reciever seems plagued with and once again came back to Onkyo (3008) and so I couldn't change my mind again.....this time I bought it (should be here tomorrow).

My programmable universal remote has the 3007 - I hope I can use those codes here.

One great point William06 made to me was that the xxx8 series Onkyo are not the first generation. Basically the 3007/3008 are same machine with the difference the hdmi 1.4 and xt32. Basically gave them 2 years to work out the more annoying issues which they had. The worry for me about deciding between the 5008 and 4311 was while the 4311's 11.2 was extremely tempting, I felt they really changed the 4311 from the 4310. To me this meant they were going to have the usual issues they would need to iron out over the next few months once they started getting into consumer's hands.

post #1091 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

I went through exactly the same process. And am now sending my 3008 back, it's showing an issue in my configuration. However, I still think I made a good choice, particularly after seeing in the 4311 thread today that some people who have had repairs (that fixed blue rain) are now seeing it come back 2-3 weeks after repair. That's really scary; something is likely breaking/burning out inside the AVR to show that kind of behavior (it's not like the software/firmware suddenly changes); which means that many of them are going to have to go back for repairs (maybe all of them)..

Either way, IMHO, the 4311 is a real nightmare for Denon; it's a absolute blockbuster for features (at that price point), but they apparently have made some pretty significant errors getting it out the door..

Now, if only I can get a 3008 that doesn't hiss.. If the next one is also bad, I guess I'll order the 4311 (again) and try that one..

Quote:

post #1092 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM

I didn't go with the 5008 because I have Emotiva amps for front and centers.....so I just need amps for the surrounds, etc.

I think I'll buy a couple of ceiling speakers for the FH's and for the wides - I have a couple of bookshelf speakers - same make and timber as my big fronts. No place for rears except way way back so I'll stop there. That's 5.1 plus 4 = 9.1

Hope I can do that.
post #1093 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 12:27 PM

and also the 3008 was $1k less than the 4311 so that was a big incentive for me.
post #1094 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:

I didn't go with the 5008 because I have Emotiva amps for front and centers.....so I just need amps for the surrounds, etc.

I think I'll buy a couple of ceiling speakers for the FH's and for the wides - I have a couple of bookshelf speakers - same make and timber as my big fronts. No place for rears except way way back so I'll stop there. That's 5.1 plus 4 = 9.1

Hope I can do that.

I just ordered the 5008. I was debating if I should get the Emotiva xpa-5 or the xpa-3. I'm going to be getting a pair of Studio 100s to match my 690 so I'm pretty sure I would want an amp at least to drive those three.

post #1095 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Just out of curiosity, why the 5008 if you're going to "outboard" amplification? I thought the 3008 and 5008 were pretty close in pretty much all the other specs (but the 5008 has a better amp)..

If you want the XPA-3 (which is what I'm going to couple with my 3008), you better get on the list; they are out of stock almost to the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

I just ordered the 5008. I was debating if I should get the Emotiva xpa-5 or the xpa-3. I'm going to be getting a pair of Studio 100s to match my 690 so I'm pretty sure I would want an amp at least to drive those three.

post #1096 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, why the 5008 if you're going to "outboard" amplification? I thought the 3008 and 5008 were pretty close in pretty much all the other specs (but the 5008 has a better amp)..

If you want the XPA-3 (which is what I'm going to couple with my 3008), you better get on the list; they are out of stock almost to the holidays!

My reasoning is a couple of different things. First, 5 watts difference between both of them is very little difference and they are both rated at the same max amp usage. I like the 32-bit DAC (not that I think i would be able to hear the difference) and a toroidal main audio transformer. I plan on running a full 9.1 setup and I think 9 speakers are a lot to ask one receiver to run. Especially considering 4 of them are 6 ohm nominal and 4 ohm min. And considering all the people say the Studio 100s (which I don't own yet) and the CC-690 (which is on it's way) are power hungry. The rated power of the Onkyo is why I am considering the 3 channel amp verses the 5 channel. Basically make the Onkyo do some work!

I added myself to the reserve list. Thank you for the heads up.

post #1097 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 PM

to all onkyo 5008 users, can you advise what speakers you are running your onkyo 5008 w/? I am thinking of buying the 5008 for powering my paradigm monitor set-up consisting of the ff:

Monitor 11 front
CC-390 center
titan monitor rear
titan monitor rear back

on another note, does it have the SUB EQ HT feature, this is very important to me to integrate the subwoofers into the system.
post #1098 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m adkins View Post

to all onkyo 5008 users, can you advise what speakers you are running your onkyo 5008 w/? I am thinking of buying the 5008 for powering my paradigm monitor set-up consisting of the ff:

Monitor 11 front
CC-390 center
titan monitor rear
titan monitor rear back

on another note, does it have the SUB EQ HT feature, this is very important to me to integrate the subwoofers into the system.

Because the Monitor line is pretty efficient speakers, you shouldn't have an issue running them. I am 90% sure the SUB EQ HT feature is in there because earlier in the thread someone asked about it and I believe William06 stated you can independently setup the subs, but double check his posts. Mine doesn't come till Tuesday

post #1099 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:

One great point William06 made to me was that the xxx8 series Onkyo are not the first generation. Basically the 3007/3008 are same machine with the difference the hdmi 1.4 and xt32. Basically gave them 2 years to work out the more annoying issues which they had. The worry for me about deciding between the 5008 and 4311 was while the 4311's 11.2 was extremely tempting, I felt they really changed the 4311 from the 4310. To me this meant they were going to have the usual issues they would need to iron out over the next few months once they started getting into consumer's hands.

the xpa5s are for the surrounds...put 3's on FR/FL/C or better yet --- xpa2s on the fronts (for serious stereo music) - not sure what you do w/your system ===but I didn't buy external amps for TV & movies !!
post #1100 of 8670 Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:

the xpa5s are for the surrounds...put 3's on FR/FL/C or better yet --- xpa2s on the fronts (for serious stereo music) - not sure what you do w/your system ===but I didn't buy external amps for TV & movies !!

I'm one of those people who use his system for 33% music, 33% games, and 33% movies.

post #1101 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 02:17 AM
Advanced Member

Both the 3008 and 5008 have the Sub EQ HT feature (MultiEQXT32). You can independently setup the subs and EQ them on both of these AVRs.

Quote:

Because the Monitor line is pretty efficient speakers, you shouldn't have an issue running them. I am 90% sure the SUB EQ HT feature is in there because earlier in the thread someone asked about it and I believe William06 stated you can independently setup the subs, but double check his posts. Mine doesn't come till Tuesday

post #1102 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Both the 3008 and 5008 have the Sub EQ HT feature (MultiEQXT32). You can independently setup the subs and EQ them on both of these AVRs.

Thank you for confirming that. I was pretty sure that the MultiEQXT32 and Sub EQ HT go hand in hand together. I just didn't want to tell that person unless I was 100% sure. I don't like to give bad info!

post #1103 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Thank you for confirming that. I was pretty sure that the MultiEQXT32 and Sub EQ HT go hand in hand together. I just didn't want to tell that person unless I was 100% sure. I don't like to give bad info!

Thanks for the info, i downloaded the 5008 manual and did not find anything about the SUB EQ HT. Please confirm if I am right about SUB EQ, it will give you probably 5 band parametric to adjust the sub freq from about 30-120hz?

I am also curious if the audio quality in the 5008 a significant step up from the 3008? Anybody did a comaprison between the sound quality of 3008 and 5008?

I realize this is a thread for the 3008 / 5008, but would like to get opinions on the sound quality difference between say a 5008 as compared w/ a Denon 4311? I have read that Denon has a warmer sounding character as against the brighter more powerful sound of onkyo?
post #1104 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info, i downloaded the 5008 manual and did not find anything about the SUB EQ HT. Please confirm if I am right about SUB EQ, it will give you probably 5 band parametric to adjust the sub freq from about 30-120hz?

I am also curious if the audio quality in the 5008 a significant step up from the 3008? Anybody did a comaprison between the sound quality of 3008 and 5008?

I realize this is a thread for the 3008 / 5008, but would like to get opinions on the sound quality difference between say a 5008 as compared w/ a Denon 4311? I have read that Denon has a warmer sounding character as against the brighter more powerful sound of onkyo?

The only mention of the 3008/5008 comparison that I found was in this article

http://hometheatergears.com/onkyo/on...nr5008-review/

You probably could do some 3007/5007 searches too since it is the same amps as the 3008/5008.

Also look up william06 posts. He has owned both the 4311 (returned it) and now the 5008. He mentions in several of his posts about the differences in this thread. I think he is probably only a handful of people who can say they have owned both. He has a pretty unbiased opinion too.

post #1105 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. The 3008/5008 have SubEQ HT (dual sub equalization and independent filter adjustment). However, I've never tried to manually adjust the EQ on the subs; IMHO, that's what I'm paying all this money for high end Audessey for, so they can figure it out and adjust it for me!

I might be able to help you on that request, just got my 2nd 3008 today, hopefully no "amp hiss" on this one. If this one has it too, I'll be trying the 4311. However, I'm not a big believer in "warmer" or "brighter" sound. It's the EQ technology that's doing FAR more (again, IMHO) to color the sound than the actual amplifiers. I'm sure there are differences, but, I'm a simple guy.. EQXT32 is something I can hear instantly, and, IMHO, drastically improves the sound. I also think I could A/B test from internal (AVR integrated amps of all kinds) to high power (200W+) external amps.. I'm not sure I could between a 4311 and a 5008/3008 though, they use the same EQ technology and have very similar power specs.. I'm not certain that I could tell the difference between any of them (level matched).

Quote:

post #1106 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Got the 2nd 3008, happy to report, no humming in the front channels on this one. Updating the FW and getting ready to run Audessey (hopefully that wasn't the cause of the humming).

I'll report back when it's all setup..

post #1107 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Got the 2nd 3008, happy to report, no humming in the front channels on this one. Updating the FW and getting ready to run Audessey (hopefully that wasn't the cause of the humming).

I'll report back when it's all setup..

Glad to hear. No matter what brand a person buys, it should always work. I know even if I wasn't using that amp, the hum would of still bothered me.

post #1108 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 AM

I have reviewed the manuals thoroughly and found this difference between Denon 4311 and Onkyo 5008 which I think is a huge factor in any decision making.

5-band manual subwoofer EQ adjustment Onkyo has it but Denon doesn't

Running full 7.2 w/ either Surround Back or Front Height/Wide while the front speakers are in bi-amp mode. Denon can do this while Onkyo cannot
post #1109 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 AM

As for my application, I would love to bi-amp my front speakers, so that when listening to 2-channel mode, my front speakers are in bi-amp mode and receiving twice the power. While I can still run my surround back channels during surround home theater mode. The onkyo cannot do this, your only choice is to use zone 2 or front height / front width option.

But the denon can let you use the surround back channel while in bi-amp mode. It is weird why onkyo chose to prioritize the use of Front Effect channelas rather than the back surround.
post #1110 of 8670 Old 11-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

That is correct, the Onk cannot do this (I would like this too, but I have SB speakers, so no bridging for me).

Quote:

I have reviewed the manuals thoroughly and found this difference between Denon 4311 and Onkyo 5008 which I think is a huge factor in any decision making.

5-band manual subwoofer EQ adjustment Onkyo has it but Denon doesn't

Running full 7.2 w/ either Surround Back or Front Height/Wide while the front speakers are in bi-amp mode. Denon can do this while Onkyo cannot

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page