New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - Page 88 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #2611 of 8699 Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMasterJames View Post

Can someone please post a link to a thread or post on how to check and update the firmware or software for the TX-NR3008? Id appreciate it. My 3008 will be here tomorrow my TX-SR805 left home this morning and I sure do miss it.

Edit: Also any 3008 noob owners set-up tips etc would be cool.

thanks!

You have downloaded the manual, right? http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=d Makes it easier to search for keywords. Updating firmware is just an another option somewhere in the setup, pg 66. If it is up to date, I believe it will say so.

First I set up the networking, then updated the firmware over the Internet. The first thing it does is download the file during the update, and I believe it gives progress status. Once downloaded, then the update process begins and took no more than 5 minutes. I don't quite see why there should be an initial reluctance to do the first update from the Internet, assuming you've successfully setup the networking, since the updating won't start until the file is fully downloaded. Now if they had designed it to update while it was downloading, that would be something I'd never do again.

My networking would not work via DHCP--I set a static address, configured the gateway and dns to the router, set the mask, and was up. I've left it as static so I don't know if the DHCP works now. I did convert an linksys router to a wireless bridge for connecting this and my Bluray to my current router via wifi, rather than buying a special adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 8699 Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 PM

I see, I believe I have that off due to some other issue--I'll try switching it back and seeing what happens--thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldiablos View Post

Page 65 and 110 of the manual explains the option. I'm not really sure if you are asking how to set the option or how to use the feature. The feature is set to on by default unless you went in and changed the settings. djbluemax1 explained a very common user error with watching tv with the receiver off. The receiver will only pass the input of the last selected input you choose before you powered the receiver off/standby. If you want to watch cable on your tv with the receiver off/standby and you ran the cable through the receiver, just make sure before you turn the receiver off/standby you leave the receiver set to the input that you use to watch cable when your receiver is on.

post #2613 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 AM

Hello All,

After waxing lyrical about my lovely TX NR5008, getting back from a lovely holiday, a week later it went "phut".

It started on the night I installed the Logitech software for my new Harmony 1100. For a couple of days of taking a couple of goes to lock onto the HDMI signal from my Mac Mini, then started displaying video but saying "No signal" producing no audio. I tried checking the back of the Mac mini to see if the red light from the optic out was showing, checked the cable to see if light came from their, changed the cable, changed to Optic in socket on the receiver and reinstalling Mac Os.

It then started having problems with the HDMI connected PS3 (via LPCM) taking ages to lock onto the video signal, perhaps 2-3 minutes then showing it but saying "No signal". I tried switching from one source back to the original and couldn't hear the clicking relay anymore. (Oddly too, as someone pointed out in a previous thread, I actually feel reassured too by the click).

Firmware was up to date. I reset the amp pressing stand-by and VCR or was it NetUSB (I can't remember as it isn't in front of me) to reset the amp. I then attempted to reinstall the up to date firmware but it hung in the early stages not advancing past one of the initial stages.

I called the supplier for New Zealand and told him my issues and without debate, he told me I had trialled all the usual things he would have suggested and advised me to take it to a repair store. After liaising with them and the supplier, he very kindly told me that they will take the unit back and repair it, sending me a new one as "he didn't want me to be unhappy". How lovely!

I am astonished how chilled out I am about the whole thing as I can't get any sound out of my set up. Perhaps it was the holiday. I still love my receiver to bits, think it is the best thing I have heard and have rediscovered reading a book! All I need now is a cardigan, pipe, rocking chair and arran sweater.

I hope the new receiver arrives in the next week and as a treat for myself, I am going to buy a Buttkicker.

I suspect a dodgy HDMI board was the issue but hope this helps anyone having this problem decide what they need to do next.
post #2614 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbygreeneye View Post

Hello All,

After waxing lyrical about my lovely TX NR5008, getting back from a lovely holiday, a week later it went "phut".

It started on the night I installed the Logitech software for my new Harmony 1100. For a couple of days of taking a couple of goes to lock onto the HDMI signal from my Mac Mini, then started displaying video but saying "No signal" producing no audio. I tried checking the back of the Mac mini to see if the red light from the optic out was showing, checked the cable to see if light came from their, changed the cable, changed to Optic in socket on the receiver and reinstalling Mac Os.

It then started having problems with the HDMI connected PS3 (via LPCM) taking ages to lock onto the video signal, perhaps 2-3 minutes then showing it but saying "No signal". I tried switching from one source back to the original and couldn't hear the clicking relay anymore. (Oddly too, as someone pointed out in a previous thread, I actually feel reassured too by the click).

Firmware was up to date. I reset the amp pressing stand-by and VCR or was it NetUSB (I can't remember as it isn't in front of me) to reset the amp. I then attempted to reinstall the up to date firmware but it hung in the early stages not advancing past one of the initial stages.

I called the supplier for New Zealand and told him my issues and without debate, he told me I had trialled all the usual things he would have suggested and advised me to take it to a repair store. After liaising with them and the supplier, he very kindly told me that they will take the unit back and repair it, sending me a new one as "he didn't want me to be unhappy". How lovely!

I am astonished how chilled out I am about the whole thing as I can't get any sound out of my set up. Perhaps it was the holiday. I still love my receiver to bits, think it is the best thing I have heard and have rediscovered reading a book! All I need now is a cardigan, pipe, rocking chair and arran sweater.

I hope the new receiver arrives in the next week and as a treat for myself, I am going to buy a Buttkicker.

I suspect a dodgy HDMI board was the issue but hope this helps anyone having this problem decide what they need to do next.

I hate it when things go back to be repaired... It shouldnt have to be repaired you should have a new one if found to be faulty. Yeah just CHILL hard to do sometimes I know !!
post #2615 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 AM

Have any memebers here have thier 3008/5008 work fine from the day they purchased it? Im on the fence for a 3008, but i am wondeing if this series is mostly problematic.
post #2616 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy-man View Post

Have any memebers here have thier 3008/5008 work fine from the day they purchased it? Im on the fence for a 3008, but i am wondeing if this series is mostly problematic.

No problems with ONKYO with past and present amp. I blamed the 5008 for a problem but it was my speakers fault not the amp !! Remember there is only a handfull of owners on the forum compared to those who dont bother with forums. I would recommend ONKYO and lets face it... there is always going to be problems with any make and model. You generally only hear the problems on a forum !!!
post #2617 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley161 View Post

No problems with ONKYO with past and present amp. I blamed the 5008 for a problem but it was my speakers fault not the amp !! Remember there is only a handfull of owners on the forum compared to those who dont bother with forums. I would recommend ONKYO and lets face it... there is always going to be problems with any make and model. You generally only hear the problems on a forum !!!

+1

Just look at the other threads for the other makes. I'm on my third Onkyo and all have been perfect right out of the box.

Often, as you say, people blame the AVR when the problem is either their lack of understanding of something or their other equipment. How many times did Onkyo get the blame for audio dropouts before it was realised it was the STB that was causing the problem, for example?

I'd say Onkyo were as reliable as any other brand - these are complicated and sophisticated pieces of equipment these days - and offer far better value for money than all of them!

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #2618 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

mine worked tremendously out of the box.

post #2619 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

+1

Just look at the other threads for the other makes. I'm on my third Onkyo and all have been perfect right out of the box.

Often, as you say, people blame the AVR when the problem is either their lack of understanding of something or their other equipment. How many times did Onkyo get the blame for audio dropouts before it was realised it was the STB that was causing the problem, for example?

I'd say Onkyo were as reliable as any other brand - these are complicated and sophisticated pieces of equipment these days - and offer far better value for money than all of them!

Kind Regards,

Keith

could not agree with you more. One of the biggest culprits with HDMI handshaking issues are the cable and or satalite boxes.

post #2620 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I am also wrestling with whether I should buy the 3008 or 5008. It seems many forum members are having so many problems. I am just about to pull the trigger on a pair of PSB T6 or Imagine T. I think the Onkyo would pair nicely with the PSB's. I really like the specs on this machine. They are amazing!! But, who wants the hassle of dealing with problems that forum members are having. A few threads back in the 80's, someone posted Onkyo had a recall.

Anyone know if I buy a refurbished 3008/5008, does Onkyo make all the necessary fixes to the receiver such as firmware upgrades etc etc.
post #2621 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Hey all,

I'm considering buying the Onkyo TX-NR3008. It's a good price (right now at 1149/free shipping at Amazon). I'm about to order Aperion's Verus line for a 7.1 theater setup (2 floor standing, 1 center, 4 bookshelves, and already have a SVS PB13-Ultra sub) so this receiver seems to hit the sweet spot for me (Power, Audyssey Multi EQ XT)

I'm pretty familiar with Onkyo (Coming from a SR607 and SR304 before that) so I know what to somewhat expect.

But do you think this receiver would be good for the speakers I'm trying to drive? I'd really like to avoid an external amp for now.

Any word on the receiver being able to AirPlay with Apple devices?

Thanks
post #2622 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
No problems here. Bought my 886 from shop onkyo a couple years ago and a 5008 in Decemeber. Never had any issues with either. AVRs I've owned are Denon, Yamaha and three Marantz (one of which did have problems). Marantz was my favorite till I switched to Onkyo.

Love my 5008. Best receiever I've owned yet.
post #2623 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Me too: have had a 805, 1007, and now a 3008, and all have worked fine with no hitches. Of course I don't ask for all their features, just do HDMI pass through to a projector from an Oppo 83 and Comcast cable box, driving an 8.1 speaker arrangement (6.1 + 2 Heights). And I of course make use of Audyssey (DSX now).
post #2624 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatChuk View Post

Hey all,

I'm considering buying the Onkyo TX-NR3008. It's a good price (right now at 1149/free shipping at Amazon). I'm about to order Aperion's Verus line for a 7.1 theater setup (2 floor standing, 1 center, 4 bookshelves, and already have a SVS PB13-Ultra sub) so this receiver seems to hit the sweet spot for me (Power, Audyssey Multi EQ XT)

I'm pretty familiar with Onkyo (Coming from a SR607 and SR304 before that) so I know what to somewhat expect.

But do you think this receiver would be good for the speakers I'm trying to drive? I'd really like to avoid an external amp for now.

Thanks

This sounds like a great match -- I have a 3007 with Aperion speakers (not the new line) and the match is super, plenty of power.
AirPlay isn't part of the Onkyo (does the 5008 even have wireless?). I have an Airport Express hard wired to my Airport Extreme base station and plug a small switch into the Express so that I can hard wire the PS3, Onkyo, or any other device (makes for rock solid streaming, updates, etc). I also use a Toslink cable to plug the Extreme into the Onkyo for wireless music streaming from my phone or iPad-- have not bothered with the Apple TV as cable, and the streaming available on the PS3 are plenty for me. By the way, I did try connecting the Express wirelessly, but the speed hit was too much (sure it would work, but running Cat6 across the garage, under the house, and up through the wall to the TV only took a couple hours).
post #2625 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 AM

I recently sold my Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro (same as Onkyo SSP885), and got 3008 about 10 days ago. What a world of difference in sound it made in my room... It's simply astonishing. Integra had Audyssey MultEQ XT, and 3008 has XT32. Not sure if it was one of the resons, but my bass response is simply awsome... It fills the room, and very tight and controlled, where with Integra it was somewhat lacking in mid bass, and would only sound good when something exploded.
In addition, I live in condo, so my wife is always concerned we are going to bother neighbours upstairs with our sound volume and bass, so with the 3008 having Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, it's no longer an issue - I can listed movies late at night at around -40 to -50db, and still have a full enveloping surround sounds, and nice bass response across full spectrum... I can't even describe how happy I'm with the new 3008.
I came a long way since I started my HT back in 99. I went through Theta Casanova, Krell, Classe, Denon, Integra, and now Onkyo. 3008 is my first receiver - all previous units were pre/pro, and 3008 beats the hell out of all of them with features and the absolutely amazing EQ and room correction it made for my setup. Reason I went with 3008 vs another pre/pro is I wanted to add high and wide speakers, so needed a few more amp chanels.

Once I setup my original 5.1 speakers with 3008, I added a pair of fairly cheap Sony SS-B1000 speakers for wides (they go for like $50 a pair, but sounds pretty good for price... I figured for wides they should do just fine), and for highs I used satellite speakers from Klipsch ProMedia Ultra set. Once I added them to my already awsome sounding 5.1, it opened up the front soundstage to completely new levels - I have a wall of sound in front, with tremendous width and hight. I would never go back to 5.1 now, once I heard how 9.1 sounds.

So far I had no issues whatsoever. As soon as I got 3008, i updated firmware through USB, setup Audyssey with 8 positions and I'm smiling ever since when I play movies or music.
post #2626 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble_Fish View Post

I am also wrestling with whether I should buy the 3008 or 5008. It seems many forum members are having so many problems. I am just about to pull the trigger on a pair of PSB T6 or Imagine T. I think the Onkyo would pair nicely with the PSB's. I really like the specs on this machine. They are amazing!! But, who wants the hassle of dealing with problems that forum members are having. A few threads back in the 80's, someone posted Onkyo had a recall.

Anyone know if I buy a refurbished 3008/5008, does Onkyo make all the necessary fixes to the receiver such as firmware upgrades etc etc.

My 3008 is a refurb and works prefectly. Bought my 1007 new from newegg and had to have the HDMI board replaced(in repair shop for 3 months). Bought my 805 as a refurb and was perfect for 2 years! I do not mind refurbs at all.
post #2627 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lik View Post

Once I added them to my already awsome sounding 5.1, it opened up the front soundstage to completely new levels - I have a wall of sound in front, with tremendous width and hight. I would never go back to 5.1 now, once I heard how 9.1 sounds.

+1 Once you have had 9.1 you will never go back! Wall of Sound, I am off to the living room to listen to some Grateful Dead!

David Ferebee
post #2628 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lik View Post

I recently sold my Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro (same as Onkyo SSP885), and got 3008 about 10 days ago. What a world of difference in sound it made in my room... It's simply astonishing. Integra had Audyssey MultEQ XT, and 3008 has XT32. Not sure if it was one of the resons, but my bass response is simply awsome... It fills the room, and very tight and controlled, where with Integra it was somewhat lacking in mid bass, and would only sound good when something exploded.
In addition, I live in condo, so my wife is always concerned we are going to bother neighbours upstairs with our sound volume and bass, so with the 3008 having Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, it's no longer an issue - I can listed movies late at night at around -40 to -50db, and still have a full enveloping surround sounds, and nice bass response across full spectrum... I can't even describe how happy I'm with the new 3008.
I came a long way since I started my HT back in 99. I went through Theta Casanova, Krell, Classe, Denon, Integra, and now Onkyo. 3008 is my first receiver - all previous units were pre/pro, and 3008 beats the hell out of all of them with features and the absolutely amazing EQ and room correction it made for my setup. Reason I went with 3008 vs another pre/pro is I wanted to add high and wide speakers, so needed a few more amp chanels.

Once I setup my original 5.1 speakers with 3008, I added a pair of fairly cheap Sony SS-B1000 speakers for wides (they go for like $50 a pair, but sounds pretty good for price... I figured for wides they should do just fine), and for highs I used satellite speakers from Klipsch ProMedia Ultra set. Once I added them to my already awsome sounding 5.1, it opened up the front soundstage to completely new levels - I have a wall of sound in front, with tremendous width and hight. I would never go back to 5.1 now, once I heard how 9.1 sounds.

So far I had no issues whatsoever. As soon as I got 3008, i updated firmware through USB, setup Audyssey with 8 positions and I'm smiling ever since when I play movies or music.

Thanks for this! Im more excited now. Unfortunately I have to wait another 2 WHOLE days to get my 3008 in my hands :P

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #2629 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding the comparison between the 3008/5008 to my current SR-806...

I know the newer models have much more advanced "features" but how do the power supplies and amp sections compare to my 806? I think its time for an upgrade and I am debating between adding a small amp to my current set-up and just replacing it with a newer unit, hopefully one with more power/current...

Any advice? Tips? Thanks!
post #2630 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Darn you guys! I thought I was perfectly happy just staying at 7.2 but all this talk of 9.2 will have me running more wires this weekend. The only question is if I want to go front wide or front high. I have extra speakers that would be perfect for either.

I don't plan on giving up my rear back surrounds though. I play a fair amount of video games and love the extra directional sounds for exactly where things are behind me.
post #2631 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I posted over in the Audyssey thread my very positive results in switching my pair of Wide speakers (with my 3008) into the Height positions. In my relatively narrow room the Wides were just too close to the MLP, drawing too much attention to themselves. The Heights are about the same distance from me at the L, C, R mains, and do indeed give an enveloping 'wall of sound'! Much better, at least for my room.
post #2632 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Has anyone played around with the "Screen Centered Dialog" settings (on page 68 of the manual) when using front high speakers?

My center sits below my projector screen, if this setting works very well, I'll certainly try my setup with front high speakers.
post #2633 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

i posted over in the audyssey thread my very positive results in switching my pair of wide speakers (with my 3008) into the height positions. In my relatively narrow room the wides were just too close to the mlp, drawing too much attention to themselves. The heights are about the same distance from me at the l, c, r mains, and do indeed give an enveloping 'wall of sound'! Much better, at least for my room.

+1

David Ferebee
post #2634 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectevolution View Post

Has anyone played around with the "Screen Centered Dialog" settings (on page 68 of the manual) when using front high speakers?

My center sits below my projector screen, if this setting works very well, I'll certainly try my setup with front high speakers.

Yes just done this. MUCH, MUCH BETTER having the dialogue moved higher up the screen. Really worth doing !!!
post #2635 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Yes just done this. MUCH, MUCH BETTER having the dialogue moved higher up the screen. Really worth doing !!!

Awesome! Looks like I'll be running wires this weekend for sure.
post #2636 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatChuk View Post

Hey all,

Thanks

When they quote $1146 at Amazon is that for a used/refurbished model, as they also have option for new model?
Hurk
post #2637 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post

When they quote $1146 at Amazon is that for a used/refurbished model, as they also have option for new model?
Hurk

Yes it was for a brand new model!
post #2638 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I see the 'Screen Centered Dialog' on pg 68, but can't find how to get to it on the 3008. I do have Center and Heights speakers connected (and detected). How does one get to this setting?
post #2639 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Hey guys, I got my 3008, I was impressed how the UPS guy handled the box, it was like id carry around a shoe box. I thanked him and said I was happy to have a healthy UPS driver deliver it. That dood was strong!

Anyhow it sits in the same place the 805 sat. Its not all this low, the metal bars you see are just bars that are holding the glass up. My 805 was fine there so I know the 3008 will be fine too. Its only got an inch or so up top but the sides and back are totally open. The 'Complete' you see is after the firmware update. I went ahead and did it via network since my internet box is right there. I use an Airport Express. Anyhow I checked the old firmware, wrote it down then updated it and went in and looked to see what the new number was and there was a bunch of numbers and ???s , so I did it again, successfully this time. Tried it a third time and it told me I have the latest firmware already installed.
OLD---1031-0200-0310-2101
NEW--1051-0400-0310-2101

Check out these tight quarters, another 1/8" and it would NOT have fitted
actually make that 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch.

As I said, my internet box is right there so it worked out well.......

The very first think I heard thru my 3008 was this little hottie .......
post #2640 of 8699 Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM

And I got a quick question, what is up with that "set your subwoofer volume to 75db" at the beginning of Audyssey set-up, I got it to 83 or so and the volume is damn it 0!! I have a SubMersive. Anyhow, what is up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors