New Onkyo TX-NR5008 & TX-NR3008 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 8697 Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upper Saddle River, NJ (6/29/10) Onkyo, a world-renowned innovator in home entertainment, has announced the release of two new high-end network A/V receivers, the TX-NR5008 and TX-NR3008, that offer a wide range of the most up-to-date and user-friendly home theater features, and have achieved THX® Ultra2 Plus certification. Both receivers support network audio streaming, various multi-room set-ups, iPhone/iPod playback over USB, and fully immersive, 3D-compatible home theater.
Each of these models features eight HDMI® 1.4a inputs, with compatibility specified for an Audio Return Channel and 3D video. Both mandatory video formats for 3D broadcastingSide-By-Side (Half) and Top-and-Bottomare supported. With 3D content on the rise, users will be able to take advantage of the unique visual dimensions made possible by this dynamic new format.
Dual HDMI outputs are also provided on these models, allowing users to connect two high-definition displays simultaneously. In conjunction with HDMI, HQV-Reon VX enables 1080p upscaling of all video inputs, regardless of source resolution. Both also feature advanced ISF video calibration, which allows users to make fine-grained, independent adjustments for each video source.
Audio networking and internet radio are common to both models. A rear-side Ethernet port enables easy firmware upgrades and links the receiver/controller directly to the internet or to a home PC. Users can access streaming internet radio through Pandora, Rhapsody, Napster, Slacker, Sirius Internet Radio, and vTuner, or play back a wide variety of PC-based audio files, including FLAC, MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, WMA Lossless, AAC, and LPCM. The receivers are also Windows® 7 compatible and DLNA 1.5 certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled equipment in the home.
With 9.2 audio channels, users have a great deal of flexibility in how they set up their home theater. The 9-channel configuration allows users to take advantage of the expanded surround dimensions of Audyssey DSX or Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz. The former adds extra height or width channels for greater spatial ambience, while the latter provides the option of extra height channels.
Naturally, support is also provided for Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, the popular lossless codecs found on Blu-ray Disc. Furthermore, compatibility with DSD Direct means that users will be able to enjoy their SA-CD collections in all their pristine clarity. High-quality Burr-Brown DACs allow these Onkyo models to handle the heavy demands of multi-channel audio processing.
In a modern home theater, matching audio output to the acoustic characteristics of the room is all-important. Both receivers include a full suite of Audyssey room-correction and equalization technologies. These work to optimize audio performance, regardless of room shape and volume level. Audyssey MultEQ® XT, for example, uses information from up to 8 positions throughout the room to calibrate speakers for optimal audio balance.
Flexibility is the byword when it comes to multi-room set-ups. The TX-NR5008 and TX-NR3008 let users play a 5.1-channel source in the main room, along with fully powered stereo audio of two different sources in Zone 2 and Zone 3. On top of that, users also have the option of Zone 2/3 pre outs and Zone 2 video output.
The TX-NR3008 features a front-side USB port, while the TX-NR5008 has USB ports front and rear. As well as handling audio content from flash memory devices, the USB ports let users play musicand display album artfrom a connected iPhone/iPod.
Build quality is highlighted by gold-plated audio inputs and PLL jitter-cleaning circuit technology on all models. These A/V receivers feature separate transformers for audio and video processing, with the TX-NR5008 also adding a massive toroidal transformer and 22,000 uF capacitors, a feature more typical of separate component amplifiers.
Other convenient features shared by both models include an analog RGB input for video content from a connected PC; a backlit and customizable remote controller; HDMI Thru allows children to still watch programs when the receiver is not turned on; and Onkyo's new overlaid graphical OSD for seamless adjustment of settings during a viewing session.
These new releases keep Onkyo at the forefront of high-end integrated home entertainment, and demonstrate the company's ongoing commitment to providing maximum performance at every level of the home theater market.
The Onkyo TX-NR3008 and TX-NR5008 will be available in August with suggested retail prices of $2,099 and $2,699 respectively.
Since 1946 Onkyo has been passionately committed to developing audio products that deliver uncommon performance, quality and value. Bundling proprietary technologies and innovations with other sound-enhancing exclusives, Onkyo continues to created award winning products that are lauded by many of the industry leading audio publications. The company's philosophy is to deliver products that are superbly designed and built to a consistently outstanding standard of excellence. Today, Onkyo is at the forefront of the home theater and digital revolutions.

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8697 Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I was hoping to see 11.2 with these receivers, and it looks like the TX-NR1008 is not much of an upgrade from the TX-NR1007. Glad I got the 1007!

Owner/Editor
Stereowiseplus
post #3 of 8697 Old 07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see no Dolby Volume, unlike the 5007 and 3007
post #4 of 8697 Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

I see no Dolby Volume, unlike the 5007 and 3007

They both have Dolby Volume.
post #5 of 8697 Old 07-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Eagerly anticipating some actual user reviews of these...

I'm looking for a new receiver and had pretty much decided on the 3007, or possibly the new Denon 3311, then I start reading that the 5/3008s are going to be available soon.

Regards,
Paul
post #6 of 8697 Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 AM

Liked: 12
These look good on paper, I thought I read these had a new version of Audyssey- XT32?

Kemper Holt
post #7 of 8697 Old 07-10-2010, 06:03 AM

Yes it does
Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, That should solve all your sub and speaker problems
post #8 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

They both have Dolby Volume.

where is that listed?
post #9 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

where is that listed?

On the product page for both AVR's.

5008 Product Page
post #10 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:

On the product page for both AVR's.

5008 Product Page

All I see on the spec page is:

Quote:

(1) Audyssey MultEQ XT for System Equalization
Removes much of the distortion caused by speaker enclosures and the typical room environment; Produces far superior sound than on comparable products that lack correction capabilities.

This does not say XT 32, unless the "32" is implicit in ALL Audyssey XT offerings on new equipment.
post #11 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
but they don't have HDBaseT

Flashbacks of waiting for new HDMI implementations and HDMI's continiuing F-ups to force consumers to new versions. There is no reason HDMI 1.3 should not be able to handle the 3D formats. The bandwidth is there. Just pass the data and let the displays handle it.

Plus if HDBaseT takes off, all you need to wire your HD network is Cat5e or Cat6 cable and it can go 100m. Imagine being able to easily use your AVR as a router like device to all your entertainment areas in your home.

Sorry for OT post. I do like the new higherend Onkyos but it seems if you want to stay in the same amp capability that the 805 offered you now have to go up to the 3008. I am sticking with my user updated to 1.08 805 until it dies.

post #12 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiListener View Post

This does not say XT 32, unless the "32" is implicit in ALL Audyssey XT offerings on new equipment.

Look at the Doby Volume and the Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 logos on the apex page and front panel pictures.
post #13 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look at the Doby Volume and the Audyssey MultEQ XT 32 logos on the apex page and front panel pictures.
post #14 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Liked: 21
Yes, Dolby Volume is shown in the logos for the 3008 and 5008. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is hard to see in front panel pictures - but is confirmed in press releases dated Jun 28, for both the European and Asian markets.

(These:
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/press/press_...n_8700320.html

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/whats_new/...602/index.html )
post #15 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic icons View Post

Yes, Dolby Volume is shown in the logos for the 3008 and 5008. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is hard to see in front panel pictures - but is confirmed in press releases dated Jun 28, for both the European and Asian markets.

(These:
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/press/press_...n_8700320.html

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/whats_new/...602/index.html )

I do not see the Xt32 logo ANYWHERE on the page. I will admit it might be displayed on the Front Panel image, but this could also be an image of the foreign market version. More importantly, it is strange that the US press release has the EXACT same language as the other two releases EXCEPT the "32" is omitted. Of course, this could just be a typo, but I am more inclined to believe Onkyo is doing the same thing here in the US as it did with the Onkyo Pro 5507 processor. In the US, Audyssey Pro is NOT available for the 5507, where Audyssey Pro is available for 5507s in the foreign markets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Version View Post

In a modern home theater, matching audio output to the acoustic characteristics of the room is all-important. Both receivers include a full suite of Audyssey room-correction and equalization technologies. These work to optimize audio performance, regardless of room shape and volume level. Audyssey MultEQ® XT, for example, uses information from up to 8 positions throughout the room to calibrate speakers for optimal audio balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Version View Post

In a modern home theater, matching audio output to the dimensions of the room is all-important. With this in mind, the TX-NR5008 includes a full suite of Audyssey room-correction and equalization technologies. These work to optimize audio performance, regardless of room shape and volume level. Audyssey MultEQ® XT32, for example, uses information from up to 8 positions throughout the room to calibrate speakers for optimal audio balance.

post #16 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

More importantly, it is strange that the US press release has the EXACT same language as the other two releases EXCEPT the "32" is omitted. Of course, this could just be a typo, but I am more inclined to believe Onkyo is doing the same thing here in the US as it did with the Onkyo Pro 5507 processor. In the US, Audyssey Pro is NOT available for the 5507, where Audyssey Pro is available for 5507s in the foreign markets!

I hadn't known that! I'm reminded though of other "cases" where different features have been reported between US, European or Asian versions of gear with the same model number. So status of MultEQ XT32 on the US versions of the 3008 and 5008 is still uncertain.
post #17 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do not see the Xt32 logo ANYWHERE on the page. I will admit it might be displayed on the Front Panel image, but this could also be an image of the foreign market version. More importantly, it is strange that the US press release has the EXACT same language as the other two releases EXCEPT the "32" is omitted. Of course, this could just be a typo, but I am more inclined to believe Onkyo is doing the same thing here in the US as it did with the Onkyo Pro 5507 processor. In the US, Audyssey Pro is NOT available for the 5507, where Audyssey Pro is available for 5507s in the foreign markets!

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that Audyssey didn't announce XT 32 until two weeks ago... it's not even on their web site et.

Unlike Pro, XT 32 is an extension of the technology rather than a feature that is used to delineate product lines.. while the verbiage is absent in the US press release, I have a feeling it has more to do with the timing of an official XT 32 announcement that it's absence from the US market..

However, since you and I aren't privy to such information, it is speculation on both our parts.

And XT 32 is an extension to their core technology.... Pro is a CI available tool kit that works on top of the MultEQ XT technology.

While Onkyo has clearly stated that they wanted to differentiate the Onkyo and Integra lines with the 5507's Pro omission, I think they wouldn't leave out a core technology that every one of their competitors will have in the coming months (i.e. Denon.)

Just my .02
post #18 of 8697 Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 PM

^^^^^

I hope FilmMixer is correct.... I have been seeing some very disturbing trends in the AV industry.
post #19 of 8697 Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there any pics of the new OSD?
post #20 of 8697 Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Anyone know when the 5008 will become available en mass? Time to upgrade the 905...

Does anyone happen to know if the 5008 will run as hot as the old 905?
post #21 of 8697 Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I have another question.....how does DSX work in these onkyos....

Although I like the fact the Denon 4810 can do11.1 (7.1+2ch height+2ch width) I am looking to do the 9.1ch version of this (5.1+2ch height+2ch width) via DSX......is it possible to have both the height+width dsx channels active in the onkyo or is the Denon 4810 the only product that can do this?
post #22 of 8697 Old 07-24-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that Audyssey didn't announce XT 32 until two weeks ago... it's not even on their web site et.

Just my .02

FilmMaker,

The European and US press releases were 1 day apart with the European press release occurring a day earlier. Hopefully, it is just a typo or honest ommission.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #23 of 8697 Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM

I contacted Onkyo regarding the fact I purchased an NR3007 less than 3 months ago from an authorized retailer and asked if an upgrade program would be available for a fee to trade in the receiver for the updated model, especially for those of us who purchased a receiver fairly recently. The response was no such program is available and most likely there will not be one.

Deep sigh as moving to HDMI 1.4 would be a worthwhile upgrade, plus Audyssey upgraded also?? Doubt firmware updates will be released to upgrade Audyssey in current model as Onkyo will want people to purchase the new models?
post #24 of 8697 Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 303
You still have a great receiver. You may need an extra cable run if you ever want 3d but big deal. you saved a ton of money and they will sound the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowl View Post

I contacted Onkyo regarding the fact I purchased an NR3007 less than 3 months ago from an authorized retailer and asked if an upgrade program would be available for a fee to trade in the receiver for the updated model, especially for those of us who purchased a receiver fairly recently. The response was no such program is available and most likely there will not be one.

Deep sigh as moving to HDMI 1.4 would be a worthwhile upgrade, plus Audyssey upgraded also?? Doubt firmware updates will be released to upgrade Audyssey in current model as Onkyo will want people to purchase the new models?

post #25 of 8697 Old 08-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

How much of sound difference will the Audessey Multi EQ XT32 make?
post #26 of 8697 Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

You still have a great receiver. You may need an extra cable run if you ever want 3d but big deal. you saved a ton of money and they will sound the same.

samendolaro,

His AVR is HDMI 1.3. What will an extra cable do for him as it relates to 3D?

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #27 of 8697 Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM

A Blu Ray player with 2 HDMI outs lets you route one directly to the display, and the other to the AVR for audio. Not elegant but effective.

Kemper Holt
post #28 of 8697 Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

samendolaro,

His AVR is HDMI 1.3. What will an extra cable do for him as it relates to 3D?

Willie

A direct run to the 3D device (instead of through the receiver) .

So instead of having the TV on Video 1 all the time and having the receiver do all the video switching internally he would need to have (as an example) Video 2 used for 3D which would be directly connected to the 3D device(blue ray).

If he has a smart remote, its not a big deal to add an additional video input switch . if not... how often is anyone going to watch 3D ? Just change the input manually...
post #29 of 8697 Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

I am trying to figure out if the 5008 with the new Audessey is going to be worht the premium over the 5007. Anyon have any input ton that? Will it make a big difference?
post #30 of 8697 Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

I am trying to figure out if the 5008 with the new Audessey is going to be worht the premium over the 5007. Anyon have any input ton that? Will it make a big difference?

I am hoping that the relay clicking is addressed with the new units.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page