Reciever for Paradigm Studio 20's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a pair of Studio 20's and an old JVC POS not doing them justice. The main use for the system is for movies and I want to expand to a surround system over time.

I'm looking at the Onkyo TX NR807 to get me some more power and enough tech to keep me happy for a while. From the research I've done it seems this would be a good choice for a surround system, but feel free to suggest alternatives. I have heard that Onkyo's can have a dry and higher biased sound, but that's something I think could be fixed with separates if needed.

Overall my main goal is to get the best quality sound with a receiver for $800. Does anyone have any advice for my setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Lots of good receivers in the $800 range.

Onkyo 807, Denon 3310, Denon 3311CI, Pioneer Elites, Onkyo 1007, Yamaha 1900, etc. There is no clear cut best receiver. You should go to your local Best Buy Magnolia or other audio place and audition some of these receivers to find out what features you like or want.

You don't even need to spend $800. The Onkyo RC180 can be had around $520, very close to the 807 in features and performance.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-RC180.../ref=pd_cp_e_3

If you don't mind refurbs Shoponkyo.com has the 807 under $500 after 20% july 4th sale which ends on Friday.
http://www.shoponkyo.com/index.cfm

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler1 View Post

I have heard that Onkyo's can have a dry and higher biased sound, but that's something I think could be fixed with separates if needed.

I personally put little credence in such statements. Yamaha is bright, Harmon Kardon is warm, etc.

Solid State amps in receivers always look pretty linear when measured. Obviously they all distort, but why would distortion from say Onkyo's be consistently such that it sounds like you propose?

I would expect bigger sonic differences when a receiver is driven to the point where it's clipping and/or the limiter circuitry is in operation.

If there is audible distortion when not overdriven, it's likely subtle. It would probably consist of harmonics generated by stuff like crossover distortion in the output stage.

One thing I noticed about Onkyo, is that some models have measured very well on a bench test for the price. I can't say that's true for every model of course.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Lots of good receivers in the $800 range.

Onkyo 807, Denon 3310, Denon 3311CI, Pioneer Elites, Onkyo 1007, Yamaha 1900, etc. There is no clear cut best receiver. You should go to your local Best Buy Magnolia or other audio place and audition some of these receivers to find out what features you like or want.

Thanks for the suggestion the rc180 looks very similiar to the 807, I'll look into those others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I personally put little credence in such statements. Yamaha is bright, Harmon Kardon is warm, etc.

Solid State amps in receivers always look pretty linear when measured. Obviously they all distort, but why would distortion from say Onkyo's be consistently such that it sounds like you propose?

I would expect bigger sonic differences when a receiver is driven to the point where it's clipping and/or the limiter circuitry is in operation.

If there is audible distortion when not overdriven, it's likely subtle. It would probably consist of harmonics generated by stuff like crossover distortion in the output stage.

One thing I noticed about Onkyo, is that some models have measured very well on a bench test for the price. I can't say that's true for every model of course.

That's a good point, I guess these are all solid state amps.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I've powered my Studio 40's with a Denon 4806CI and mow a Pioneer SC-27.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler1 View Post

I currently have a pair of Studio 20's and an old JVC POS not doing them justice. The main use for the system is for movies and I want to expand to a surround system over time.

I'm looking at the Onkyo TX NR807 to get me some more power and enough tech to keep me happy for a while. From the research I've done it seems this would be a good choice for a surround system, but feel free to suggest alternatives. I have heard that Onkyo's can have a dry and higher biased sound, but that's something I think could be fixed with separates if needed.

Overall my main goal is to get the best quality sound with a receiver for $800. Does anyone have any advice for my setup?

the anthem receivers are comming the MRX-300 list for $999 should be around $800 sale
a link to the new anthem receivers http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1214682
post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 PM

I have $1600 to buy a 2.1 system mainly for music.

I believe I am planning on buying
Paradigm Studio 20s
V2 + CC V2 $600 (+ Shipping)
V3 (Ebay Auction)
V5 $875 (+ Shipping)
and either the
HSU VTF-3mk Used $475 (+Shipping)
HSU VTF-3MK New $759
HSU VTF-3MK w/Turbo Used $599 (+ Shipping)
HSU ULS-15 $800 (+ Shipping)

I plan on buying used.

Other speakers I would consider.
PSB M2 $1000 (+ Shipping)
PSB CHS 40 $800 (+ Shipping)
Klipsch RB-81 $660 (Including Shipping)
Paradigm Signatute S1 (Ebay Auction)
Paradigm Studio S2 If I become extremely lucky.

I would also consider buying an svs PB 12+

As far as recievers, I am looking at
Onkyo TX-SR607 $300 (Refurbished)
Onkyo HT RC180 $460 (Refurbished)
Onkyo HT RC260 $435 (New)
Onkyo TX NR807 $575 (Refurbished)

I could possibly go up to $1800 but probably should not.
Any advice, I am new to audiophile speakers.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

You might look into Denon's line of receivers. I eventually went with the 3310CI after posting this thread. Haven't really tested it too much since I discovered one of my studio 20's has a problem with the main driver. That said, I would suggest going towards a paradigm setup, the 20 v3's sound incredible.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Got my 20 fixed and finally tested the 3310 - I am very happy with the setup. I hooked the amp up in bi-wire mode, which ultimately limits me to 5.1 (only at 2.1 now), but that's not a big deal. There's plenty of power and the 20's sound awesome. Overall I think the 3310 is a good balance between music listening quality and home theater capability.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page