Marantz SR5005 / Marantz SR6005 HDMI V1.4 ABT AV Receiver Owners' Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 767 Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My understanding is no. It's got a max of 7 channels to amplify at one time. Either 7.1 or 5.1 w the mains bi amped or 5.1 plus 2.0. Nut not a combination of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 767 Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM

"My understanding is no. It's got a max of 7 channels to amplify at one time. Either 7.1 or 5.1 w the mains bi amped or 5.1 plus 2.0. Nut not a combination of them."

Thanks ed126, not what I was hoping to hear but what I suspected. I do have a related question, again from a newbie's perspective.

Is the use of the Pre Outs "all or nothing" ?

Still looking for a way to Bi-amp and have 7.1 as well, would I be able to use the Front L and R Pre Outs (and not use the powered Front L and R) to an external amplifier? Or do I have to connect all the output to an external amp is I connect one of them?
post #273 of 767 Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by keluna View Post

Just setting up my new SR5005 and I am a newbie to Audio, although I had some decent stuff twenty years ago. I have searched the thread, read the manual, and checked the Marantz FAQ.

My question about Bi-Amping is there a way to do this and retain 7.1 surround? The product manual (page 36) shows Bi-amp connection using Front A and Surr Back/Amp Assig, and notes that 5.1 channel is available, no mention of 7.1.

Can the Front A/B connection be used for Bi-amp and still hookup 7.1 There is some reference to this on page 35 with a note to check impedance on page 4. But it's not clear to me if this would work or Bi-amping.

Thanks in advance!

Alan

a "friendly hint", since you are new to audio...

"passive bi-amping" (which is what you would like to do), accomplishes nothing... don't bother...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #274 of 767 Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

My buddy just purchased an SR5005 from accessories4less for $500 (retail $800) free Fed Ex ground shipping (ships from Florida), an authorized Marantz secondary dealer. While its considered B stock, these particular units it appears are brand new and Marantz backs that up with a 2 year warranty (not its usual 1 yr warranty on B stock). We swapped out his HK347 and hooked it up, and played a bunch of his blurays, regular DVDs and CDs that he knows so well. A very noticeable step-up from the older entry level Harmon Kardon.

Very impressed at that price point. It's really a no-brainer for anyone interested in higher end audio/surround sound for an entry level price. Btw, they still have units left w/ the 2 year warranty.

Adz
post #275 of 767 Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz523 View Post

My buddy just purchased an SR5005 from accessories4less for $500 (retail $800) free Fed Ex ground shipping (ships from Florida), an authorized Marantz secondary dealer. While its considered B stock, these particular units it appears are brand new and Marantz backs that up with a 2 year warranty (not its usual 1 yr warranty on B stock). We swapped out his HK347 and hooked it up, and played a bunch of his blurays, regular DVDs and CDs that he knows so well. A very noticeable step-up from the older entry level Harmon Kardon.

Very impressed at that price point. It's really a no-brainer for anyone interested in higher end audio/surround sound for an entry level price. Btw, they still have units left w/ the 2 year warranty.

I bought an SR6005 from A4less. Mine was sealed fresh too, it is my understanding that the 5005 and 6005's with the two year warranty are new, where they got a deal from Marantz and the one year warranty models are refurbs. I am more than pleased with the performance from my 6005 and I would recommend A4less as well.
post #276 of 767 Old 03-29-2011, 01:10 PM

I have an aging sr4002 and was looking at a4less site and I was going to get a sr5004 for 350 but then I saw the sr6004 for 499 or the sr5005 for 499. All i really care about is the best video chip. I am going to run a roku and a bd7003 and my verizon fios dvr out to a optoma hd projector. I dont need more than 3 inputs and 90w is plenty. what are the main differences between the receivers I mentioned? many thanks.

HT rig
sr4002
5 x Polk vm10 .1psw111

2 channel rig
Pre: Adcom GTP-500II (Lsi7)
Power Amp: Adcom GFA-545II
Main: LSi7
Back: RTiA1
Sub: Velodyne DEQ-10R
post #277 of 767 Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDpalooza View Post

I bought an SR6005 from A4less. Mine was sealed fresh too, it is my understanding that the 5005 and 6005's with the two year warranty are new, where they got a deal from Marantz and the one year warranty models are refurbs. I am more than pleased with the performance from my 6005 and I would recommend A4less as well.

I just ordered one today and the rep I talked to told me the same thing. She said the box has been opend but the unit is new. It was listed as a refurb on their site and on my receipt. Either way it is worth it to me.

Thanks for the info. Thanks to you guys I'm getting a nice receiver to replace my sr7000. The new unit will be cheaper than the old marantz ten years ago.
post #278 of 767 Old 04-02-2011, 09:42 PM

I just received my 6005 today from a4l. No open box but I can't get through a song at +5 without it heating up and shutting down. Before I call customer service I thought I'd see if you guys have any suggestions. Flashing sequence and the temp of the chassis indicates overheating.

This unit replaced a 10year old sr7000 that never had this issue. Running def tech BP 2006tl fronts with lfe to both, CLR 2300 center (no lfe yet) and bp2x rears. Fronts and center set large, rears small and sub yes. Running audio from apple tv and the receiver is set on PLII music. I know +5 is at around 90% but I could run my sr7000 wide open if I wanted with no issue and it was 100 watts per channel.

The only thing i skimped on was the 40' runs of stranded 14/2 to my rears (set small). Other than that I feel confident everything else is good.

Any help you can provide will be appretiated.
post #279 of 767 Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 PM

6005 owners please let me know how much space you have around your receiver. The manual recommends 12" around the unit. I like most people don't have that much space. I have 3" above, 5" behind, 3" to the right and wide open on the left.
post #280 of 767 Old 04-04-2011, 05:43 AM

I just ordered an SR6005 to "upgrade" from a AVR-3808CI, mainly because of the 1.4 HDMI inputs that the Denon doesn't have and I've found the receiver to require a Master's Degree in Audio Engineering to set up properly.

Not quite sure where to peddle the Denon...

Anyway, looking forward to the Marantz.
post #281 of 767 Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Just bought a SR6005 at BB. They don't show it on their web site, but the SKU is 1224554. They have them at some of the Magnolia stores in stock. Right now they are on sale at $200 off plus a $50 gift card. I am replacing an old Yamaha RX-V630 in order to get the HDMI 1.4a plus all of the new stuff out since way back when.

All I can say now with just a quickie setup is WOW! The sound is amazing. Plus, just prior to purchasing the Marantz, I added two side surround speakers so that I could get set up before hand to go from 5.1 to 7.1. Many posts have said that it is not worth the trouble in a small room (mine is 12.5'W x 13.5'L) but I say na-na. Totally worth it to me in my room.

Listening to two channel music, AKA Pandora or CD using either the Dolby Digital IIx setting or the Neural setting, the sound is amazing. You are literally sitting inside of the music sound field. Haven't had time to watch much of a BD yet, but it sounds promising as well. Still need to run a more careful (and time consuming) Audyessy setup again. Then more tweaking.

I'm sure that I will have some questions for you that aren't explained in the User Guide, but my first impressions are very positive.

FYI, I first homed in on the Pioneer VSX-1021-K for value and the bells and whistles. Then I started looking at the SR6005, SR7005, Denon 3311CI and the Yamaha A1000. I decided that I was looking more for fine sound than bells and whisles. With the deal going with the Marantz at this time, I decided on the SR6005, and I am not disappointed.

Mike
post #282 of 767 Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeroe View Post

6005 owners please let me know how much space you have around your receiver. The manual recommends 12" around the unit. I like most people don't have that much space. I have 3" above, 5" behind, 3" to the right and wide open on the left.

I haven't had any heating issues with my 6005 and I have my DVD plaer on top of it with only a small gap between the two. Its not an ideal set up and I want to change it but its been like this for several months now with no issues.

The sides are completely open and Im playing through small PSB speakers in 5.1 configuration.

I suggest checking all the speaker connections to make sure they are solid. Maybe replace speaker wire as a test to rule out the least expensive possibility.

Your reciever deffinetly shouldnt be overheating like it is. Something isnt right, hopefully its something straight forward.
post #283 of 767 Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklein90 View Post

I suggest checking all the speaker connections to make sure they are solid. Maybe replace speaker wire as a test to rule out the least expensive possibility.

Your reciever definitly shouldnt be overheating like it is. Something isnt right, hopefully its something straight forward.

Not sure that replacing the speaker wire will do any good unless there is a short somewhere by a misplaced staple or something else causing a minor short. Perhaps there is a single wire strand that is shorting either on the amp end or the speaker end that you didn't notice. The wire gauge should not have much effect on how hot the receiver runs. A larger gauge wire will lower the total load resistance on the amp and deliver more power to the speakers (less power lost in the wire itself), but this would tend to work the amps more, not less, but this is a good thing assuming that you are running 6-8 ohm speakers.

FYI, I finally got down to installing banana jacks on all of the speaker wires that connect to my receiver, which helps TREMENDIOUSLY in making connections to the receiver 5-way terminals. I used the on-Q banana plugs that you can get from Lowe's. The value pack for 5 pairs is about $20 which is the lowest price that I could find for good quality banana plugs.

Even if you have just one wire strand shorting out on any speaker, the amp/receiver will probably still run OK at lower volumes, but the extra current draw will probably cause the protection circuit to activate at higher volumes or at least make the unit run hot.

Additonal info: If dklein90 ment to TEMPORARILY replace the speaker wires to rule out the problem, then that is a good suggestion also.
post #284 of 767 Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Marantz SR5005 to upgrade my home theater performance.

I currently have a Denon 4802 (quality unit that has lasted me nearly a decade) and was considering the separate route but can't really afford that milestone just yet.

Do you think purchasing a Marantz 5005 (as a pre pro) and hooking it up to the "Ext In" would be a nice setup up. The power supply and weight of the 4802 make it such a beast I don't want to discard/sale it. Use this setup for a few years and then purchase a true quality amp.

Def Tech setup:
BP20's
CLR2500
Supercube I
post #285 of 767 Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
EXT IN inputs are not the same as amp inputs, so you would have to carefully level match your Denon's volume (it would act as a separate gain stage) with your Marantz's levels. It can be done (I've read about it on this forum somewhere) but it is not considered ideal (I'll let others, more technically knowledgeable, explain in detail).
post #286 of 767 Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
EXT IN inputs are not the same as amp inputs, so you would have to carefully level match your Denon's volume (it would act as a separate gain stage) with your Marantz's levels. It can be done (I've read about it on this forum somewhere) but it is not considered ideal (I'll let others, more technically knowledgeable, explain in detail).
I see what your saying.

Now I wonder if upgrading to a Marantz 5005 would be better than a Denon 4802. I'm going from 125 watts per channel to 100.

The long term goal is to get a pair of B&W 804Di for music playback. Would the Marantz be a good pair w/ B&W Diamonds?
post #287 of 767 Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I don't know how well those speakers would play with the Marantz (not familiar with their specs re: impedance and so on) but the difference between 100 and 125 watts is negligible (to double volume output at a given distance, you need TEN times the power).
post #288 of 767 Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Set up the receiver today and absolutely love it.

Q: Anyone use this with a Direct TV box? I can't get any of the codes to work for volume control on the receiver. I can get it to turn the receiver on/off but when I follow Direct TV's further instructions (entering "993" after the remote code) it results in switching the Marantz from "SAT" to "CD" instead of controlling the volume.

Any help appreciated.
post #289 of 767 Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Never mind the above. I got it.
post #290 of 767 Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've got about 6" above the unit, open on both sides and about 10" in back. Mine runs somewhat warm to the touch after about an hour or so but not nearly as hot as Onkyo's I have owned.
post #291 of 767 Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all,

I'm looking for an avr that has great sonic performance and decent video processing. I've read reviews on the sr6004 that suggest it has musicality that may rival separate components, but that video is somewhat subpar. The 5005/6005 have a new chipset, so I assume video is improved.

Can you tell me is this a correct assumption, and is the musical performance of the 5005/6005 comparable to the 6004? Do the 5005 and 6005 have similar musicality (other than the wattage difference)?

Note that I'm really interested in the subjective impressions of users, not specs.

Thanks!

post #292 of 767 Old 04-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Hi there, just as a reference if anybody has the same problem has me and is searching for an answer, couple weeks ago i setup a 4.0 system with B&W speakers and a sr6005. Everything works fine for some times, then i lost the 2 front speaker. I could not hear anything coming from them so i try another output connector on the back (zone 2/front height) and then i could hear music again.

After tring all the connectors, i found out that the Front Left, Center and right were not working properly. Even in the config menu, the 6005 did no detect the speakers when plug in the front LCR.

To correct this i did a reset of the micropressor as explained in the manuel and everything is back under control, all the connectors are working properly and i'm happy again.
post #293 of 767 Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 AM

Liked: 30
Hi all, just joined avs and hope to be a part of a great wealth of audio knowledge. Also hope to contribute my experience with accessories4less as yesterday I pulled the trigger on a refurbed sr5005. Just got done building my own entertainment center out of solid oak to accomodate a bic dv6 clrs, which i ordered along with two dv-64's as mains. Will be adding a sub when budget will allow but i personally think that coming from a 130$ philips htib, these components will give me the audio quality i crave. The philips is terrible. Cannot hear any voice dialogue at all during movies. What has me nervous, is that reading this thread (of course after i placed the order) i am noticing reliability issues? Also accessories4less is going ro take 3 weeks to get the reciever to me. I hope i made a good investment, as i pegged the denon avr1911 first but figured id spring for the preouts. Once everything arrives ill provide a full and thorough review with pictures of my system (especially proudcof my 64" entertainment center i built dado joinery and all) thanks for reading my post and thanks in advance for any replies. Im brand new to avs and am learning the site so please forgive if i post in the wrong area, and im typing on my htc phone..lol. cheers ladies and gentleman
post #294 of 767 Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong. It does not look like the SR6005 or SR5005 has a ethernet/internet port on the back for firmware updates - only the SR7005 has it. Is this right? If so how would you get the unit updated?
post #295 of 767 Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Liked: 30
I believe the unit has to be shipped back to the manufacturer if its the sr6005 or the 5005
post #296 of 767 Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djack40 View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong. It does not look like the SR6005 or SR5005 has a ethernet/internet port on the back for firmware updates - only the SR7005 has it. Is this right? If so how would you get the unit updated?

You have to take it to a marantz dealer. That's one of the things I don't like about it
post #297 of 767 Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklein90 View Post

I haven't had any heating issues with my 6005 and I have my DVD plaer on top of it with only a small gap between the two. Its not an ideal set up and I want to change it but its been like this for several months now with no issues.

The sides are completely open and Im playing through small PSB speakers in 5.1 configuration.

Your reciever deffinetly shouldnt be overheating like it is. Something isnt right, hopefully its something straight forward.

Have you went beyond 0db playing music in 5 channel? All of my connections are good. According to what I've learned over the past couple days this is normal when going over 0db. People on the forum, Marantz and Definitive have all said this is not out of the ordinary. No problems with this watching movies.

Thanks for the help.
post #298 of 767 Old 04-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey h View Post

Not sure that replacing the speaker wire will do any good unless there is a short somewhere by a misplaced staple or something else causing a minor short. Perhaps there is a single wire strand that is shorting either on the amp end or the speaker end that you didn't notice. The wire gauge should not have much effect on how hot the receiver runs. A larger gauge wire will lower the total load resistance on the amp and deliver more power to the speakers (less power lost in the wire itself), but this would tend to work the amps more, not less, but this is a good thing assuming that you are running 6-8 ohm speakers.

FYI, I finally got down to installing banana jacks on all of the speaker wires that connect to my receiver, which helps TREMENDIOUSLY in making connections to the receiver 5-way terminals. I used the on-Q banana plugs that you can get from Lowe's. The value pack for 5 pairs is about $20 which is the lowest price that I could find for good quality banana plugs.

Even if you have just one wire strand shorting out on any speaker, the amp/receiver will probably still run OK at lower volumes, but the extra current draw will probably cause the protection circuit to activate at higher volumes or at least make the unit run hot.

Additonal info: If dklein90 ment to TEMPORARILY replace the speaker wires to rule out the problem, then that is a good suggestion also.

When I purchased my Def tech system 10 years ago it was a great for the size of my room. We bought a new house (open floor plan) and the living room is much larger with vaulted ceilings so these speakers and my receiver need to work a lot harder. My sr7000 could run at these levels with no problem but according to what I've read the new stuff just doesn't compare when it comes to heat regardless of manufacturer.

Aside from this issue I am very pleased with this receiver and A4L. I guess I'll just have to listen to music loud rather than extremely loud. My 37 year old ears have taken a beating over the years so these levels would probably be good for a younger set of ears. It's hard to not crank it when David Gilmore is ripping an awesome solo but I guess I'll just have to live with it until I build a theater room. This is not a great compromise since these levels wont be needed very often. running at that level was mostly a test to see how the receiver handles heat.

Thanks for the help
post #299 of 767 Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 AM

I am thinking of buying the SR6005, is everyone who already owns one still happy with it? Or do you wish you had gone with another one?
post #300 of 767 Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:

Have you went beyond 0db playing music in 5 channel? All of my connections are good. According to what I've learned over the past couple days this is normal when going over 0db. People on the forum, Marantz and Definitive have all said this is not out of the ordinary. No problems with this watching movies.

Thanks for the help.

I've listend to action packed movies at 0db and had no trouble with it whatso ever. I've also turned it up louder with music for shorter periods but at least 30 minutes at a time and still hand no problems. This was playing all 5 channels as well. My unit has been warm to the touch but I wouldnt call it hot at all, and it has never had that hot smell either. And its definetly never gone into safe mode.

All my speakers are small bookshelf style speakers that probably dont require alot to drive them. Maybe it would get hotter if they were trying to push some floorstanders.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr5005 Audio Video Receiver Black , Marantz Sr6005 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Sr5005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page